About this City Journal
Overview of the City of Franconia and her suburbs
Entries in this City Journal
The city of Franconia was settled around 1796. This was of course before the Statehood of Midwestia in 1804. Percy Otterbein, a wealthy German fur trapper, followed the course of the Thorneburg River from Cincinatti in 1795. He arrived at the meeting of the Thorneburg and Crazy Rivers by mid-June 1796, establishing the future town. He named it, Sheissenheim." While only a site of eight tents and an outhouse, it was the only stop on the Crazy River Road, therefore "opening" up the Crazy Country and the Upper Thorneburg River valles. On August 25th 1796, two groups of settlers arrived overland and joined the camp. Mr. Otterbein was murdered the following morning and was buried at the spot of the Memorial Hall. Four days later the seven remaining men from his expedition drew up the official town plat, and rode to Cincinatti to have it authorized at the Land Registers Office.
By fall of 1804, "Sheissenheim" was growing and the newly formed State of Midwestia granted it a Corporation and the name was changed to Bloody Creek. Little growth occurred after that. Then, in 1806 the United States granted a Post Office to the fledgling village. The Government offered to build the Post Office for free if the town changed the name. So a town meeting was held and the name was changed to Franconia. This first Post Office sat at the corner of the river with Main Street. It was washed away the next Spring by flood waters. Franconia would have many floods in its history. The worst four occurred in 1884, 1913, 1936 and 1937. The flood of 1913 led to Midwestia's Law of Conservancy, and the establishment of watersheds to prevent the next major flood. It did help.