• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A tropical land filled with cities of various sizes and styles.

Entries in this City Journal

Moonraker0

As you have not yet seen the entire city, here is a picture of Attabar. The original planners of the city followed the ideas of New Urbanism. There are streets in a grid pattern, and public transportation is an important part of the city's infrastructure. The highways were intended to encircle the city instead of cutting through it, also providing a clear border for urban growth. For the most part, the metropolis has not been developed outside of the highway ring; the surrounding areas are reserved for industrial zoning. Click on the thumbnail to see the full-size image.

A major construction project has recently taken place in Attabar. The location of the city's only rail terminal caused a lot of problems for passengers. It is located in a suburban commercial area with a significant distance between it and the central business district. The terminal also was overcrowded, as the number of platforms at the station was not enough to keep up with the rise in rail traffic resulting from the city's rapid growth in recent years.

126432455-4.jpg

In addition to this, passengers who wished to pass through the city on a north-south route had to make a significant detour to do so. Those who wished to travel past the city from the southeast to the northeast borders and vice versa had to ride a train all the way around the city, to the terminus, and then transfer to another train at the end of the line. From there, they needed to make another detour around the northern half of the city. A north-south rail line along the coast was never planned for.

It was decided that something needed to be done about the problem. A few different plans were considered by the city's transit authority, including one to utilize existing highway right-of-way to replace the ring section of highway with a through railway. It was eventually decided that the best course of action as far as having a railway station be central to the urban core was to build a terminus station. Planning began for the station's exact location.

The final plan was for a terminal with several underground platforms and a bus terminal as well. It would be located with the tracks facing west and ending in that direction. Three city blocks' worth of buildings would need to be demolished. The ideal area was chosen, which was central to the downtown core.

Click on the following diagram to see a rough outline of the location of the station and the rail lines:

blogentry-264353-0-81580900-1354483974_t

There was some debate among the members of the Transit Authority on whether to have most of the railway be at ground level and close the inner lanes of the highway to accommodate six tracks, or leave the coastal freeway undisturbed and tunnel beneath it for the tracks within the city limits. It was eventually decided that the second option would be chosen, as the city had a lot of money to spare.

After a long construction period, the station is finally complete. It is, to this day, the most expensive construction project in the history of El Mundo Nuevo. Entering and passing through the city by train is now a very attractive option for commuters and travelers.

126433380-4.jpg

126433399-4.jpg

The rail tracks to and from the station split apart and curve in opposite directions (north and south) under the highway, and a through route bypassing the station and city also exists under the ground beside them.

What exists in this project's future? More lines will be planned and built as part of new growth in the city in the future, connecting to this station. The city's tramways have two stations on different sides of the terminus; one future possibility is to connect the tram lines to the station with a tunnel, allowing trams to directly enter the station and use some of its platforms. This has the potential to make transferring from train to tram much easier for passengers.

Moonraker0

So earlier we got to see how some new areas in the region's largest city are developing. This update will show some more construction and how some projects have progressed. If you're sick of development-oriented updates, this should be the last one for a while. :party:

Here is an office park and commercial are that are almost complete.

126400367-4.jpg

As you can see, the section to the right of the highway has a lot of open landscaped and paved spaces, and some of the buildings are accessible from the back only because of the road overpass.

A close-up shows the office park and a parking garage under construction.

126400377-4.jpg

Here's a picture of the cluster of skyscrapers on the other side of the highway.

126400382-4.jpg

Hope you enjoyed these scenes.

Moonraker0

You probably observed some construction projects in the last entry. Now let's follow that up with some progress on those projects.

Here is an old picture of a public housing estate under construction.

126393054-4.jpg

Eventually, phase 1 of the project was completed. Now, phase 2 is being built.

126397204-4.jpg

However, to complete the road that's being built, it will be necessary to destroy a tunnel and rebuild it in a different position.

126396537-4.jpg

The detour has been set up:

126396905-4.jpg

Eventually, the tunnel was modified.

126396940-4.jpg

Here's a mosaic of another area that was shown in the last update.

attabarconstructionmosa.th.jpg

Moonraker0

So, I will start off by showing you the region's largest city, Attabar. It is a major metropolis and is rapidly expanding.

A note about highway designations in the region: There are a few different codes for roads, highways, and expressways.

IC stands for Inter-City, which is a limited-access freeway that connects different cities. IC highways have a two-digit numerical designation.

ME stands for Municipal Expressway. This is a type of highway that goes through or around a specific city. The "expressway" designation in El Mundo Nuevo can refer to a large main arterial road with few stoplights, or it can be a grade-separated freeway. ME highways have a three-digit numerical designation.

We'll be taking a charter bus sightseeing tour along the coastline on IC01, the regional freeway, and around the city's ring highway, which is named ME001.

Good day, everyone! Welcome aboard. I hope you all enjoy the ride on our Mega Bus. As your tour guide, I'll be announcing important things we see on the way.

126395481-4.jpg

Welcome to Attabar. Attabar is the largest city in El Mundo Nuevo. We'll be seeing a lot of skyscrapers and other things you'd expect to find in a big city such as this. Right now we're on the highway called IC01, which we'll first follow along the coastline. That means "Inter-City highway". We're now approaching an interchange with the city's other highway, ME001. That stands for Municipal Expressway 1. Attabar does not have many freeways.

And yes, this is the city's rush hour traffic. You might have noticed that it isn't all that severe. Public transportation takes a large portion of the city's residents to their jobs, and the highways aren't very congested. In fact, most of the vehicles on the freeway up ahead will be city buses.

126395489-4.jpg

Now we're passing a new development. We'll be seeing a few new development areas because the city is growing quickly. This will be a public housing estate.

126395491-4.jpg

Now you can see we're getting into the city more...although you probably can't see most of the factories to our right because of the noise wall. Noise walls are something this city has a lot of along its highways. Also, only non-polluting factories such as computer hardware and pharmaceutical manufacturers are allowed within the city limits.

126395494-4.jpg

Now we're passing through another interchange. You can see the city's water treatment plant on the right. Some of them have the high-mast lights like you can see on our left. Also on our left are a few sky-rise condominiums, which are going to be prevalent along this highway. It's a pretty popular area to live in. We're going to be following the coastline for a while.

126395497-4.jpg

Now we can see factories and a great view of the bay to the right.

126395502-4.jpg

On the right is a high-temperature gas-cooled nuclear power plant. It's actually a lot safer than a normal nuclear plant.

Here we'll be interchanging with the city's ring road, ME001.

126395503-4.jpg

You might have noticed there's even more industry, still on our right side. The urban planners of Attabar decided to keep all the industry in these areas, on the outer fringes of the city.

126395504-4.jpg

Like I said earlier, the city is really growing. Here's a whole new commercial district being built.

126395516-4.jpg

On the left are some important buildings. One of them, the first one, is called Metro City. It's a residential estate. The second one is the Prince's Building, which is a major shopping center. The bridges you see connect with another commercial area and the city's main railway terminal.

126395524-4.jpg

There's some unoccupied land. It'll probably be developed if you come back next year.

We're just about back where we started now. I hope you enjoyed the ride and seeing the city. There's a lot more to it than just what can be seen from the freeway, so I encourage you to take a more in-depth tour of the inner city. Thank you for riding Mega Bus and have a good day.

Moonraker0

Background

Welcome to my first City Journal, La República del Mundo Nuevo. This is a region of several cities, ranging from small to large and inspired by different countries and cities, including the United States and Hong Kong, specifically. This will not be me showing only completed products; I will be showcasing a lot of growth in the cities, as they have a long way to go still.

To start, here is a picture of part of the region.

Note: As the region is not yet complete, only certain areas are shown.

newworldregionviewnew.png

So, you can probably deduce a few characteristics about the region: Rail connecting the cities, only RHW used for the highways, and a tropical setting. Other details include that I will be using a lot of construction lots (my first time using them) and seawalls along the coastline in developed areas. I hope this ends up being as realistic as possible; I will make every effort to make it that way within my own style of building. I am also something of a transportation geek; transport in my cities is probably the most realistic thing about them. I'm hoping to eventually showcase a few transportation construction or improvement projects.

Oh, and although the region has a Spanish name, I've only had two years of Spanish class in school and am not fluent in it, if you were going to comment on the CJ in Spanish.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0