• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

This city journal takes you on a journey through the city of Andremore and its surrounding areas.

Entries in this City Journal

deimo5

In Part 1, continued along I-20 per our normal plan, but we took a slight detour to go into detail about San Andreas. Now we turn our eyes to the eastern coast of our main attraction, Andremore. This picture shows Kendallport which contains the main commercial ports for the entire metropolitan area, and Krystalport, the navy port.

grid_e5___22_andremore___major_ports_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofpl.jpg

But before we go there, let's look at the neighborhood of Juanita Heights. Juanita Heights has a very walkable waterfront which features a mall, a shopping center, and several high-end stores on the lower floors of the small office towers.

grid_e5___23_andremore___juanita_heights___marinas_by_dmozero2-d86ofph.jpg

In the main square is a statue of Jenova...those who know her history know her history... those who don't........... don't... Anyway, she looks toward the north which can be seen even from the small office towers in Fairfax. Inside the statue is an elevator that tourists can take to the top and peek through her eyes to see the various cityscapes of Geminia.

grid_e5___24_andremore___juanita_heights___somy_st_by_dmozero2-d86ofpe.jpg

Moving over to Kendallport, here is the cruise ship port from which some international cruise liners leave. Andremore is not a popular spot from which cruises leave because it is so far from the tropical south, but demand has been increasing for more northern cruises (and even some longer term southern cruises), so there are plans to add many more cruise ports to meet the demand.

grid_e5___25_andremore___kendallport___cruise_ship_by_dmozero2-d86ofpc.jpg

The commercial ports of Kendallport look more like those to the left of the following picture with long docks, parking garages, and freight train stations to carry goods throughout the metropolitan area.

grid_e5___26_andremore___kendallport_and_krystalpo_by_dmozero2-d86ofpa.jpg

Then there is Krystalport, the Navy Port. Not much to say about this except... it's a Navy Port... and good luck getting that big a** ship outta there!

grid_e5___27_andremore___krystalport_close_up_redu_by_dmozero2-d86ofp6.jpg

Leaving the main commercial ports to cross the bay are the Sapphire Bridge for cars and the Ruby Bridge for trains.

grid_e5___28_andremore___ruby_and_sapphire_bridges_by_dmozero2-d86ofoz.jpg

The two bridges take you over to the minor ports---Tungsten Port, Port Pacifica, and Port Atlantica.

grid_e5___29_andremore___minor_ports_1_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofov.jpg

grid_e5___30_andremore___minor_ports_2_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofor.jpg

The Sapphire and Ruby bridges empty out right into Port Tungsten, which isn't really a port so much as it is a pier. It used to be a port, but it was redesigned to be more of a park for the industrial workers in the area. It's not very popular...

grid_e5___31_andremore___ruby_and_sapphire_bridge__by_dmozero2-d86ofoq.jpg

grid_e5___32_andremore___tungsten_port_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofom.jpg

Port Pacifica however is a very thriving area with skyrise apartments, condos, and hotels.

grid_e5___33_andremore___port_pacifica_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofoi.jpg

On the north side of Port Pacific (across from the actual port) is Pacifica Mall which has high-end shopping to match its high-end clientele in the neighborhood.

grid_e5___34_andremore___port_pacifica___pacifica__by_dmozero2-d86ofoc.jpg

Even the areas surrounding the mall are loaded with high-end shopping and restaurants.

grid_e5___35_andremore___port_pacifica___other_sho_by_dmozero2-d86ofo6.jpg

Here, nestled between two fancy residences is Riverwalk Park which is at the tip of the Riverwalk itself. Small bit of Trivia... there was actually a petition going around to get the name of Riverwalk changed to Baywalk since "Riverwalk" is a minomer (... it's not on a river). Because of its historical value, the name was never changed.

grid_e5___36_andremore___port_pacifica___riverwalk_by_dmozero2-d86ofo2.jpg

The Riverwalk is loaded with small stores at the foot of the high rises on the hill.

grid_e5___37_andremore___port_pacifica___the_shops_by_dmozero2-d86ofo0.jpg

Traffic trying to get to Riverwalk.

grid_e5___38_andremore___port_pacifica___traffic_t_by_dmozero2-d86ofnq.jpg

Between Port Pacifica and Port Atlantica are the Oceanic Marinas which sit along the Oceanic Inlet. There is sport fishing, Yacht clubs, and plazas with plenty of shopping, activities, clubs, and restaurants. The land value of the residences within walking distance of this area is astronomical.

grid_e5___39_andremore___oceanic_marinas_1_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofnn.jpg

This exit of of I-5/405 is NOT the best idea if you are trying to get to Riverwalk... just an FYI.

grid_e5___40_andremore___oceanic_marinas_2_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofnk.jpg

This IS the correct exit.

grid_e5___41_andremore___port_atlantica_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofnj.jpg

Honestly, if I had to pick any place to live in this city, it would be here---easy access to the Interstate, within 3 miles of downtown (straight-line distance... not driving distance), great neighborhood with great schools and healthcare, walkable---unfortunately, it's expensive as all h***.

grid_e5___42_andremore___port_atlantica___statue_r_by_dmozero2-d86ofnf.jpg

Here are the actual Port Atlantica ports.

grid_e5___43_andremore___port_atlantica___ports_re_by_dmozero2-d86ofn6.jpg

Leaving Port Atlantica to the north takes you over the Diamond Gate Bridge into Geminia via San Andreas.

grid_e5___44_andremore___port_atlantica___diamond__by_dmozero2-d86ofn2.jpg

Some locals really dread taking the bridge because the bridge provides a spectacular distant view of the Andremore skyline which is about 2.5 miles west, so they slow down to look at it... some even take pictures. There's a healthy amount of middle-fingerage going on when crossing this bridge, practically at any time of day. You will see why in the next journal which finally shows DOWNTOWN ANDREMORE... which is really what all this fuss is about.

grid_e5___45_andremore___diamond_gate_bridge_reduc_by_dmozero2-d86ofmx.jpg

Here is a shot with all of the ports and piers in Grid E5.

grid_e5___46_andremore___san_andreas___all_ports_r_by_dmozero2-d86ofmt.jpg

And now the obligatory clean overhead shots of Grid E5.

grid_e5___47_overhead___san_andreas_clean_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofmn.jpg

grid_e5___48_overhead___dexington_clean_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofmh.jpg

grid_e5___49_overhead___andremore___port_pacifica__by_dmozero2-d86ofma.jpg

grid_e5___50_overhead___andremore___port_atlantica_by_dmozero2-d86ofm3.jpg

deimo5

There is a lot to cover in this particular grid (Grid E5) of the metropolitan area, so it will be broken up into two parts. We are continuing down I-20, and we leave the tiny slither of Dexington that we touched and finally hit the Tauria state line. We are now officially in the city of Andremore.

We immediately hit the densely populated neighborhood of Juanita Heights which is directly east of downtown Andremore. Exit 67B takes you onto I-720 which goes west into financial center of the city. Exit 67A takes you across the Aquamarine Bridge to San Andreas and the Beltway.

grid_e5___01_i_20_exit_67_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofs6.jpg

Exit 66 takes you down into the industrial core of Andremore and ultimately to center of nautical trade for the entire country.

grid_e5___02_i_20_exit_66_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofs4.jpg

Here are the overview shots of this grid of the metropolitan area. Along I-5/405 are the rest of the San Andreas neighborhoods of Nikkisburg, Teachington, and Crystal Lakes. New neighborhoods include Oakcrest, Hondstadt, and of course, downtown San Andreas.

grid_e5___03_overhead___san_andreas_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofs0.jpg

Across the bay are tiny portions of Scopesville and Lensing in Dexington, and entering into Andremore, there are Juanita Heights and the industrial areas of Fox Hall, Kendallport, and Krystalport. Kendallport being the major seaport, and Krystalport being the expansive naval port.

grid_e5___04_overhead___dexington_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofru.jpg

Across the bridge to the south is also Andremore, where the minor ports of Tungsten Port, Port Pacifica, and Port Atlantica are. In addition are portions of the industrial area of Carbidia and the residential neighborhood of Spryton.

grid_e5___05_overhead___andremore___port_pacifica__by_dmozero2-d86ofro.jpg

Finally, there is Port Atlantica.

grid_e5___06_overhead___andremore___port_atlantica_by_dmozero2-d86ofrg.jpg

I am going to jump out of order from the course of the Interstate Tour and run down I-5/405 since this is on the same grid as our regular route. Exit 1E off of I-5/405 is the first downtown San Andreas exit if coming from the north. This exit also provides access to San Andreas mall and the big skating rink.

grid_e5___07_i_5_exit_1e_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofrb.jpg

Exit 1C leads into the heart of downtown San Andreas, while Exit 1D leads to Oakcrest and the western waterfront. Exit 1A used to be an additional exit into San Andreas, but it was reconstructed to filter highway traffic across the Aquamarine Bridge to downtown Andremore, where there was clearly more of a need. This made Andremore residents traveling from the south VERY happy because they no longer had to sit at a light off the highway and make a left to cross the bridge. This also made Andremore residents that worked in downtown San Andreas happy because they no longer had to get caught up in that downtown Andremore-bound traffic on their way to work.

grid_e5___08_i_5_exit_1acd_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofr5.jpg

Crossing the Diamond Gate Bridge, we enter Andremore. Exit 105 empties travelers into Port Atlantica.

grid_e5___09_i_5_exit_105_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofr2.jpg

Exit 104 off of I-5/405 takes travelers through Port Pacifica to cross the Sapphire Bridge. There is no direct route downtown using this road, so downtown-bound travelers coming from the south tend to take the DIamond Gate Bridge instead. Being in Andremore now, the overhead signs change to the next major and cities in the southern direction---Verona, a major suburb of Andremore, and Historia, the next major city much further south.

grid_e5___10_i_5_exit_104_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofqy.jpg

So let's turn our focus to San Andreas. San Andreas underwent some MAJOR changes recently---one being the construction of the downtown loop that routed a lot of unnecessary traffic away from the inner city. The other was the construction of the waterfront which boosted commercial growth and tourism.

grid_e5___11_san_andreas_downtown_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofqr.jpg

San Andreas happens to look great at night.

grid_e5___12_san_andreas_downtown_night_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofqo.jpg

The construction of the downtown loop substantially eased the traffic woes of practically all travelers in the area. Traffic is still an issue for San Andreas-bound travelers as you can see, but this is NOTHING compared to what it was before.

grid_e5___13_san_andreas___downtown_loop_1_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofqk.jpg

grid_e5___14_san_andreas___downtown_loop_2_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofqf.jpg

And traffic on Exit 1E is really not much better either.

grid_e5___15_san_andreas___exit_1e_traffic_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofqa.jpg

San Andreas has its own regional airport, and it deserves it.

grid_e5___16_san_andreas___airport_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofq7.jpg

Here is the western portion of the waterfront. This portion of the waterfront has the illustrious Yacht Clubs for the San Andreas residents.

grid_e5___17_san_andreas___west_waterfront_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86ofq2.jpg

The southwestern portion of the waterfront features sport fishing and several shops, sports bars, and restaurants, making this a very popular and walkable area.

grid_e5___18_san_andreas___southwest_waterfront_re_by_dmozero2-d86ofpz.jpg

Some stores rely solely on foot-traffic for their business.

grid_e5___19_san_andreas___southwest_waterfront_cl_by_dmozero2-d86ofpu.jpg

Despite the presence of some indsturial buildings, the southern portion of the waterfront still has many shops and is an attraction.

grid_e5___20_san_andreas___south_waterfront_reduce_by_dmozero2-d86ofpr.jpg

It features small marinas.

grid_e5___21_san_andreas___south_waterfront_closeu_by_dmozero2-d86ofpp.jpg

That's all for now. Part 2 will be coming soon where I will be going into detail about the Ports of Andremore.

deimo5

Moving down I-5, we solidly enter into San Andreas. We are getting so close now, but here is where we jump off of I-5 and head west on I-20 straight to downtown Andremore. If we were to keep going down I-5, we would hit downtown San Andreas, cross the Diamond Gate Bridge into residential Andremore and continue around the beltway to Verona. But, so that we can get downtown as soon as possible, we are going to get on I-20.

lizy.jpg

Exit 2A off I-20 takes you north to Darrylton, while Exit 2B takes you south into the Kensington neighborhood of San Andreas.

v8gq.jpg

Exit 1E drops you into the Glenmont area, where the tallest hi-rises in San Andreas are located, overlooking downtown San Andreas and Andremore, not to mention Glenmont Country Club.

1akz.jpg

Crossing the bridge, Dexington welcomes you right at the tip of Lensing Peninsula. Exit 1D, takes you along the length of the peninsula through Dexington and Sheldon all the way out into rural Geminia. Exits 1A and 1B take you to the Scopesville and Lensing neighborhoods respectfully.

n8t5.jpg

Here, we see even more Darrylton neighborhoods--the rest of Dasani, Fujimont, and Poland Springs; Breezewood, Waterton, Alba Woods, Aurora Hills, Deer Park, Perrier, Cherrywood, Aloe Park, Palda, and Halo Park. San Andreas neighborhoods include the rest of Rico Pines and Barbia, Harmony Hills.

l7qh.jpg

Additional Darrylton neighborhoods include Motorola, Sevengen, Cascadia, Dawn Park, Springhill, Lalane, and Whirlington. But the star in this picture is the city of Fairfax whose tiny downtown is visible with its satellite neighborhoods Tasford, Larington, Axelandria, Sorrlyn, Nicolnia, Chintally, Dela Park, Grinpsfields, and Rehndon. We can also see the Beaver Lodge neighborhood of San Andreas.

z31i.jpg

Dexington neighborhoods visible in this grid include Scopesville and Lensing. The Glenmont neighborhood in San Andreas is also visible.

i5qq.jpg

And here is a bulk of the remaining San Andreas neighborhoods--White Oak, Kensington, Nikkisburg, Teachington, and the rest of Patricksburg and Crystal Lakes.

85ci.jpg

As mentioned earlier, just south of I-20 is the Kensington neighborhood, which essentially is a commercial strip almost as large as downtown San Andreas itself.

86an.jpg

Here is another view of how I-20 wraps around the Kensington neighborhood.

08hl.jpg

Kensington is only moderately dense, but it is a nice contrast to the bedroom neighborhoods to the north, providing a small strip of inner-city living style for those that want that big-city feel without the traffic.

6ltt.jpg

Glenmont provides an even bigger city feel for San Andreas residents with its tall water-side residential towers. The convenience of the ferry provides some relief to the Glenmont residents trying to leave their populace neighborhood.

l5xu.jpg

With the ferry, a direct highway exit, and its subway station, Glenmont has so many transit options.

0fg8.jpg

Glenmont Country Club is one of the more diverse clubs with golf, swiming, putt-putt, driving range, two resort hotels, and tennis in a very private, secluded area.

9v4n.jpg

San Andreas University and mall.

cz3x.jpg

Downtown Fairfax with its many mom-and-pop shops and restaurants.

hx7d.jpg

The Lincoln Center on the south end of downtown Fairfax.

14ze.jpg

I-20 cutting through Lensing and Scopesville in Dexington.

dn7p.jpg

Townhouse apartments along the coast of Lensing Peninsula.

qkyo.jpg

Here are the obligatory clean shots of the grid:

d2ue.png

xfok.png

ixxi.png

xm4t.png

deimo5

Interstate Tour - Michaelsville and Allentown

Just after crossing Michael Bay, we enter the city of Michaelsville as we move further down I-5. To the west of I-5 is still Darrylton, and to the east is Michaelsville. Exit 3 is for Michaelsville Pike---3B takes you west through Darrylton and Fairfax, ending in Arbor View on the far east edge of Dexington; 3A takes you southeast past downtown Michaelsville, ending at I-20.

xe0r.jpg

Continuing down I-5, mile marker 3 marks the city line between Michaelsville and San Andreas.

0j86.jpg

This is another view of a wide part of Michael Bay. On the east side we can see the rest of Serengeti, a residential neighborhood in Rayban Point, and more of Johnstown, a residential neighborhood in Juan Carlos.

x3lz.jpg

On this side of the bay, we see a bulk of Michaelsville and its many neighborhoods--Jones Point, Renaissance Park, April Estates, Casey, Katana, Nunchaku, Saisdale, Boville, Turtle Park, Leonardo Park, Splinter Heights, Michelangelo Park, Raphael Park, Donatello Point, and Shreddington. We can also see a few more neighborhoods in Darrylton---Dasai, Aquafina, Acadia, Fujimont, Purcelville, and Poland Springs.

fvgy.jpg

Here are a few neighborhoods in San Andreas---Rico Pines, Patricksburg, and Crystal Lakes. There is also one more neighborhood in Michaelsville we missed---O'Neill. We can also see the bulk of Donatello Point, a rich neighborhood that juts out into Turtle Bay.

fuvq.jpg

And finally, there is Allentown, the last city before crossing the Michael Bay Bridge into Juan Carlos. Allentown is one of many industrial powerhouses with industrial centers like Iverson and Debbington. It has very few residential neighborhoods--Marcus Manor, Payne Point, Woody Gardens, Joan Manor, Timsdale, and Stevesburg.

wdf8.jpg

This is Michaelsville's very modest downtown right off Michaelsville Pike.

g4pk.jpg

8dem.jpg

fs0v.jpg

0q6r.jpg

This is Splinter Heights, the most populous neighborhood in Michaelsville.

ssmb.jpg

Splinter Heights has its own commercial sector in the form of a strip of low-rise commercial buildings along I-20.

mhcl.jpg

Donatello Point Mall right off I-20 and due south of downtown Michaelsville.

ijya.jpg

April Estates.

41jc.jpg

Allentown does not really have a downtown, but if it did, this area would qualify.

inlr.jpg

4d5r.jpg

San Andreas Country Club, the eastmost point of San Andreas. The edge of the country club marks the city line between San Andreas and Michaelsville.

21a3.jpg

And of course, here are some clean shots of the entire Grid F4. And we are now less than three miles from the Tauria State Line.

lhl9.jpg

gx6z.jpg

j896.jpg

pfs4.jpg

deimo5

Interstate Tour - Solar City and Rayban Point

After seeing bits and pieces of Solar City, we finally get to its downtown area and will touch upon the easternmost areas of Darrylton, the second-largest city in the Andremore metropolitan area. We are not going to see its downtown anytime soon, however, because we are going to continue the Interstate Tour down I-5 into Andremore. However, Darrylton certainly is a sight. But I digress. Exit 8B takes you right into the heart of Solar City via Solar City Parkway, and Exit 8A takes you via Mosby Parkway to downtown Mosby, another large city that has been mentioned but not fully detailed.

54o8.jpg

Moving down I-5, we get to Exit 7 for Phoenix Blvd. Exit 7B takes you along the Darrylton/Solar City line toward the Phoenix commercial district in Darrylton. Exit 7A takes you southeast all the way to downtown Juan Carlos (also one way to get to the beaches).

cq4m.jpg

Exit 6C is for the I-405 spur, a section of highway just over a mile long that connects I-5 to I-405. I-405 is the 56-mile long Beltway that surrounds the city of Andremore. It is an absolutely vital bypass that spares travelers of I-5 S the treacherous traffic which usually starts well before the merger of I-405 and I-5 at Exit 5. The spur provides outer loop-bound travelers from I-5 the pain of dealing with Exit 5. The spur cuts between Saxon Garden and Langley Lake, and its location is actually a compromise. Southbound I-5 travelers originally wanted to turn Solar City Parkway into the spur, which would have created an over 2-mile long spur that joined I-405 at its Exit 7. However, residents in the Phoenix, Satyr Forest, Cyno Park, and Treantsdale were less than thrilled about the impact it would have to their access to the main shops along the parkway. Thus, the compromise was done.

7ngs.jpg

Here is Exit 5, where Andremore-bound traffic generally starts to stack up during the morning rush hour. We are now less than five miles from the Tauria State line.

b9e0.jpg

Here we see the last of Solar City's neighborhoods---South Raymont, Windsor, and Polaris, along with the rest of Shinington and Helios. Across the highway are neighborhoods in Mosby---Badum, Saget Park, Frenchtown, Charity Park, and Zinman.

1i5o.jpg

Moving into Darrylton, we see Cyno Park, Phoenix (the main commercial area in eastern Darrylton), Satyr Forest, Wisp Manor, Pegasus Park, Peryton, Sylphington, Treantsdale, Triton Park, Saxon Garden, Langley Lake, Arena Park, Dryad Hill, an eastern portion of Hydra Park...

ixmv.jpg

... the eastern portion of Griffin Park, Fauns Forest, Hookah Park, Goling, and Alba.

of2j.jpg

On the other side of the inlet is Rayban Point, a very upscale city that's marinas fuel its economy. Its neighborhoods include Maui Coast, Aviator Hill, Zegna, Oakley, and Serengeti. Here we can also see a few more Mosby neighborhoods---Clinton, Henrie, and Fonseca. It the bottom-right corner is Johnstown, the nortwesternmost neighborhood of Juan Carlos.

bl6z.jpg

Here is a closer view of downtown Solar City. It's not a huge downtown areawise as Solar City is driven mostly by high-tech industry, but the towers are tall and provide some great views of the metropolitan area for the executives.

m7ja.jpg

The I-5 highway exit empties onto Solar City Parkway right in the heart of downtown Solar City.

x2gm.jpg

This is Frenchtown, the westernmost neighborhood in Mosby. This area used to have a high concentration of French residents, but now, things have diversified quite a bit as the commercial scene has changed.

myb9.jpg

This is the Rayban Point country club---one of the best in the metropolitan area I hear from word of mouth.

74z9.jpg

The marinas that power Rayban Point's economy.

e0mg.jpg

The very fine neighborhood of Aviator Hill.

n9hw.jpg

Phoenix Boulevard as it enters Juan Carlos.

bk26.jpg

This is Phoenix, the main commercial center and densely populated area in eastern Darrylton.

kj6o.jpg

The I-405 exit for Solar City Parkway.

jyuw.jpg

This is Solar City Parkway as it heads straight to downtown Darrylton, overlooked by twin apartments on the edge of the Peryton neighborhood.

p8em.jpg

Dryad Hill, a very quaint and typical suburban neighborhood.

kjd6.jpg

Saxon Garden, the park that gave this neighborhood its name.

ekez.jpg

Here is Langley Lake, right off the I-405 Spur.

62ma.jpg

Here are some clean overhead shots of Grid F3.

fgsm.jpg

6m0a.jpg

6sh9.jpg

v3ce.jpg

deimo5

Interstate Tour - Seven Corners

We now travel down a very small stretch of I-5S that traverses Grid F2, moving into even more suburban areas as we get closer and closer to the inner city. Exit 9 is the only exit from I-5 in this grid, and it goes through this northern section of Solar City into the heart of Seven Corners. At this point, we are about nine miles from the Tauria State line.

gridf201i5exit9.jpg

In Grid G2, we saw the eastern neighborhoods within Bradford Park. The Bradford Park town center is here in Grid F2. Meade Point, Fashionista, Mogul Manor, Emmerson Woods, Alandale, Rikers Park, and Presidential Park are all neighborhoods in Bradford Park.

gridf202overheadbradfor.jpg

Feystone Park is also part of Bradford Park. In this section we see Ferrera, an industrial city with very few residential neighborhoods. Pictured here are Bettisburg and Pancho Park.

gridf203overheadferrera.jpg

And here is Seven Corners, the largest shopping area in the northeast metropolitan area. Its neighborhoods include Royal Oaks, Jackson Park, Blessed Woods, Kingston, Queensboro, Luxomburg, and Crown Heights. In the very bottom-left corner you can see a peek at I-405, the beltway that circles the city, and parts of a couple of neighborhoods in the city of Darrylton---Pegasus Park, Wisp Manor, Satyr Forest, and Cyno Park. Coincidentally, Seven Corners' exit off of I-405 is also Exit 9.

npmq.jpg

Here we can see the Grid F2 neighborhoods of Solar City, the city center for which is in Grid F3 which we will be going through next. Neighborhoods include Sunnyside, West Starsdale, East Starsdale, Shinington, North Raymont, South Raymont, Sun City, and Helios.

hpwt.jpg

Seven Corners has a relatively modest downtown area because most of the commercial focus is services rather than office.

gridf206sevencornersdow.jpg

Seven Corners Center (7CC) is where all of the upscale retailers are located in the area. It is not uncommon to see high class residents from East Starsdale, West Starsdale, Stinson Park, and Lily Hills shopping here. Although, most actors and actresses tend to stay in the Marshall area when shopping.

gridf207sevencornerssho.jpg

Royal Oaks mall is a shopping mecca for the middle class residents throughout the whole area.

gridf208sevencornerssho.jpg

Here is a picture of East Starsdale--wealthy homes on the country club.

gridf209eaststarsdale.jpg

High-rises of West Starsdale overlooking Sunnyside to the north and East and West Starsdale to the south.

gridf210sunnysideandeas.jpg

gridf211sunnysideandeas.jpg

The train tracks separate Bradford Park from Solar City.

gridf212sunnysideandfey.jpg

Here are some label-free overview pictures:

gridf213overheadbradfor.jpg

gridf214overheadferrera.jpg

gridf215overheadsevenco.jpg

gridf216overheadsolarci.jpg

deimo5

Interstate Tour - Marshall

Moving further down I-5S into Grid G2, we start to move away from the rural and farmland areas into more developed and suburban areas. I-5 separates farmlands from the industrial center of the northeastern metropolitan area, Indiport. Indiport is the area that provides the most jobs to all of the smaller towns of the northeast.

gridg201i5mile13.jpg

Exit 13 east goes to Indiport, while Exit 13 west goes toward the suburban city of Bradford Park. Continuing down I-5, once you pass Miller Farm, you hit the Marshall city limits.

gridg202i5exit13.jpg

Exit 11 for Scherbatsky Parkway. Exit 11 West takes you through Solar City right into the heart of Seven Corners, while Exit 11 East takes you past Marshall and leads you eastward toward the coastal cities of Luxury Coast and Chalmers.

gridg203i5exit11.jpg

Passing Marshall, we get a tiny peek at a northwestern suburb of Marshall's sibling city, Mosby. Exit 10 South takes you to Mosby and is one of the interstate exists for Mosby-Marshall airport. Leaving Grid G2, we are now only about 10 miles from the Tauria State line.

gridg204i5exit10.jpg

As mentioned, Indiport is the industrial center of the northeast. The half in Grid G2 is 100% industrial while the half in Grid H2 is home to several outlets and warehouses for the manufactured goods and materials.

gridg205overheadindipor.jpg

This is a good time to explain the signage scheme for the metropolitan area. Signs for major cities are written in UPPERCASE, while neighborhoods within those major cities are written in Titlecase. As seen below, Bradford Park is a major city within the Andremore Metropolitan area. Alandale, Fort Foote, Mode Manor, and Presidential Park are all neighborhoods within Bradford Park. Also visible here is an overhead view of Marshall, the commercial jewel of the northeast. Neighborhoods include Barney Hill, Radnor Park, Teddington Heights, ...

gridg206overheadbradfor.jpg

... Alyson Hill, Ericksen, Hannigan, Teddington Heights, ...

gridg207overheadmarshal.jpg

Cobie Park, Lily Hills, Scherbatsky, Segel, and Stinson Park. Also visible in this view is the northwestern corner of the city of Aldrin.

gridg208overheadaldrin.jpg

Marshall is actually one of my personal favorite cities in the metropolitan area.

gridg209marshalldowntow.jpg

Marshall has a very active nightlife.

gridg210marshalldowntow.jpg

gridg211marshalldowntow.jpg

Marshall was voted one of the most desirable cities to live in the country.

gridg212marshalldowntow.jpg

A closeup of Marshall Square.

gridg213marshalldowntow.jpg

gridg214marshalldowntow.jpg

One of the busiest bus stops in Marshall.

gridg215marshalldowntow.jpg

gridg216marshalldowntow.jpg

gridg217marshalldowntow.jpg

gridg218marshalldowntow.jpg

gridg219marshalldowntow.jpg

Here are the most expensive townhouses and condos in Marshall - right on Howimet Lake.

gridg220marshalllakesid.jpg

gridg221marshalllakesid.jpg

Across the highway from Howimet Lake are very expensive condos on the southern tip of the Barney Hill neighborhood. One of the most controversial issues in the city is pressure from the State to add an exit to one of these overpasses to provide better access to downtown Marshall. The issue is that Exit 11 is the only exit that provides direct access from the highway to downtown Marshall, and the low capacity roads get crowded very quickly. Adding an additional exit would ease the burden. However, residents in Barney Hill do not want to destroy the scenic view or their privacy from having no direct access from the interstate.

gridg222marshallstinson.jpg

Barney Hill condos and townhouses.

gridg223marshallstinson.jpg

Segel Mall and Scherbatsky Mall are right across from each other, providing plenty of shopping options for the middle and high class residents. The movie studio on the western edge of the Scherbatsky neighborhood is a place of employment of many residents of Stinson Park and Lily Hills---home to a host of celebrities.

gridg224marshallscherba.jpg

Lily Hills---Home #1 of the most affluent residents in the metropolitan area.

gridg225marshalllilyhil.jpg

Stinson Park---Home #2 of the affluent residents.

gridg226marshallmosbypa.jpg

Teddington Heights

gridg227marshalltedding.jpg

Closeup of Teddington Heights.

gridg228marshalltedding.jpg

Scherbatsky Pkwy separating Stinson Park from Segel.

gridg229marshallscherba.jpg

Just one last picture of Marshall before we move on down the road.

gridg230marshalloverhea.jpg

Here are some label-free overview pictures:

gridg231overheadindipor.jpg

gridg232overheadbradfor.jpg

gridg233overheadmarshal.jpg

gridg234overheadaldrinc.jpg

deimo5

Interstate Tour - Slaterville and Bear Hills

We continue our tour on I-5S into Grid G1. Exit 15A takes you east toward Eskridge, while Exit 15B takes you west on Old Rock Parkway toward Slaterville, Hilda, and Bear Hills. Ultimately, Old Rock Parkway takes you all the way to Rockport on the opposite side of the metropolitan area.

gridg101i5exit14.jpg

Grid G1 contains only a short, approximately one-mile stretch of I-5. So leaving Grid G1, we still have about 14 miles to go to the Tauria State line.

gridg102i5mile14.jpg

Here is an overview of the towns of Slaterville and Hilda.

gridg103overheadslaterv.jpg

A couple of miles up Old Rock Parkway is Bear Hills, a small town tucked away in the hills.

gridg104overheadbearhil.jpg

North of Hilda are... you guessed it... MORE FARMS!

gridg105overheadnorther.jpg

And guess what... west of Slaterville are... more farms!!!

gridg106overheadsouther.jpg

Slaterville is a small, quiet farming town that provides services to both Hilda and Bear Hills.

gridg107slaterville.jpg

It is the only town in the metropolitan area with a farm-facing downtown storefront.

gridg108slaterville.jpg

It is also home to the northernmost train station the east side.

gridg109slatervilledown.jpg

Directly off of Exit 14 is a small interchange that takes you to either Slaterville, Hilda, or straight up Old Rock Parkway. Veer to the left to go to Slaterville, take the second left exit to stay on Old Rock Parkway, or stay right to go to Hilda.

gridg110hilda01.jpg

Outside of the small shops on the main road right of Old Rock Parkway, Hilda is mostly a residential town.

gridg111hilda02.jpg

And then there's Bear Hills, the hidden town.

gridg112bearhills.jpg

With no direct access from Old Rock Parkway, Bear Hills remains a very private and secluded town.

gridg113bearhills.jpg

The Silver Spring-bound rail crosses over Old Rock Parkway without disturbing it.

gridg114rockporthighway.jpg

Going north from the interchange on Old Rock Parkway takes you to Bear Hills, while going south takes you toward Bradford Park.

gridg115bearhillsexit.jpg

Can you tell I like farms?

gridg116farmland01.jpg

Stay tuned. The next update takes us into Grid G2 which contains the city of Marshall, the first major commercial center on our Interstate Tour.

deimo5

Interstate Tour - Eskridge and Saint James

The Andremore Metropolitan area is divided into an 8x8 grid of zones. Each zone is referenced by a letter and a number. The letters run from A to H from west to east, and the numbers run from 1 to 8 from north to south. In other words, the northwesternmost zone is "Grid A1" and the southeasternmost zone is "Grid H8."

The Interstate Tour begins in the northeasternmost zone, "Grid H1," where Interstate 5 (I-5) South comes in from the north about 19 miles from the Tauria state line. Exit 19A goes north toward Urie, while Exit 19B goes south toward Saint James.

gridh101i5exit19.jpg

Continuing southwest on I-5S takes you through the forests and farmlands.

gridh102i5mile17.jpg

Three miles after Exit 19 is Exit 16, the exit for Eskridge, a small town nestled amidst the northeastern farmlands.

gridh103i5exit16.jpg

Passing Eskridge and continuing south on I-5S, the state of Tauria is just another 15 1/2 miles away.

gridh104i5mile16.jpg

Here is an overview of the town of Urie. Only the southern half of Urie is visible here. To get there from I-5, take Exit 19A and make the first left. Passing the farms, make the first right, and you have arrived. There really is not much to see in Urie as it is purely a small residential settlement.

gridh105overheadurie.jpg

Here is Urie, hidden behind the farms on the main road.

gridh106urie.jpg

Leaving I-5 on Exit 19B, one could head south and merge onto the main avenue heading west toward Eskridge. Taking the second left from there takes you to Saint James.

gridh107overheadsaintja.jpg

Half of Saint James is visible here. The other half is in Grid H2.

gridh108saintjames.jpg

As mentioned earlier, Eskridge is right off of Exit 16B.

gridh109overheadeskridg.jpg

Eskridge is the commercial center of Grid H1.

gridh110eskridge01.jpg

The main avenue is lined with small office buildings.

gridh111eskridge02.jpg

The centerpiece of Eskridge is the main traffic circle which features the tallest office builldings in the city...

gridh112eskridgedowntow.jpg

... on the other side of which is the main bus stop.

gridh113eskridgedowntow.jpg

The residential areas of Eskridge are laid out in a very suburban manner with lots of twisting roads and cul-de-sacs for privacy...

gridh114eskridgeresiden.jpg

... while along the main roads are more modern townhouses and mid-rise apartments.

gridh115eskridgeresiden.jpg

On the outskirts of the main city are rolling hills and expansive farmlands as far as the eye can see.

gridh116farmland01.jpg

gridh117farmland02.jpg

gridh118farmland03.jpg

deimo5

Satellite Overview

Overview of the Metropolitan Area

Update 11/16/2014: You can now click on these images for a full view.

These images provide views of the metropolitan area from a top-down perspective.

I. Satellite View

At this angle, the building heights are substantially exaggerated, but it still provides some idea of how large this region is.

01_andremore_metropolitan_area_birdseye_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86odo8.jpg

II. Map View

02_andremore_metropolitan_area_birdseye_transit_re_by_dmozero2-d86odo4.jpg

deimo5

Introduction

Welcome to the Andremore Metropolitan Area

Update 11/16/2014: You can now click on these images for a full view.

This City Journal takes you on a journey through the expansive city of Andremore and its surrounding regions.

I. History

The story begins when settlers migrating from the north found a plot of land just outside of the limits of the State from which they migrated. The settlers wanted to incorporate a city where they could have a freedom of cultural expression that was being stifled by the conservative attitude of their parent state.

01_andremore_metropolitan_area_beginning_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86obuz.jpg

The site of the proposed settlement was on the border of two relatively small states on the east coast of the country of Zodia--Geminia and Tauria.

02_andremore_state_limits_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86obuv.jpg

The city of Andremore was founded in the northeasternmost corner of the State of Tauria.

03_andremore_city_limits_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86obur.jpg

II. Today

Today, Andremore is the largest city on the east coast, featuring the tallest and most diverse skyline in the country. With the most expansive seaport in the country, Andremore serves as the largest importer/exporter of commercial goods.

04_andremore_metropolitan_area_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86obum.jpg

The metropolitan area has a whopping 6,835,000 residents and 3,049,000 jobs spread out across several incorporated cities and suburbs. The remainder of the City Journal will walk through each of the major highlights of the metro area, stopping in various cities and suburbs along the way.

05_andremore_metropolitan_area_city_map_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86obue.jpg

With a sprawling populace and rapid growth, the Andremore government had the foresight to invest liberally in the development of an intricate highway system. More details about the interstate system will be provided in a later post.

06_andremore_metropolitan_area_transit_reduced_by_dmozero2-d86obu9.jpg

07_andremore_metropolitan_area_interstate_map_redu_by_dmozero2-d86obu6.jpg