• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

My versions of several famous Southern/Mid-Atlantic cities

Entries in this City Journal

VMIUJcadet09

Good Morning Everyone!

Welcome to the latest entry to "Southern Cities!" This entry introduces my very loose, fictional recreation of The Citadel: Military College of South Carolina, a senior military college in Charleston. My version is still a work in progress, as there are still a few things to add. The last few pictures showcase the North Charleston Botanical Park and Pond, which features numerous trees found throughout South Carolina's Low Country.

Without further adieu, here is The Citadel:

Here is the parade ground surrounded by barracks housing the college's cadets, as well as academic buildings, library, and the field house. The parade ground itself is surrounded by numerous Live Oaks.

dT5vEVr.png

Here is the view of the Ashley River, with decorative cannons facing the river, over the marshes.

fBOl6q5.png

The northern corner of The Citadel, surrounded by homes and businesses. Separated from the outside world by a decorative fence. Entry is restricted to two, guarded gate-houses to keep the cadets inside :):

17ZypAb.png

The stadium where The Citadel Bulldog's play football, soccer, and lacrosse games:

nN6kBSS.png

Eastern portion of the campus, abutting more marshland (still a WIP):

73hH2Ev.png

Here is the North Charleston Botanical Park and Pond during autumn:

Rx3v9tr.png

Gravel parking lot at the Park, across the street from some very nice, historic houses:

QuxttCr.png

The park has several dirt paths to ride your bike, or go for a jog. There are also some ball-courts for soccer/rugby/lacrosse, and tennis:

ssjCHJs.png

Hope you enjoyed this entry, stay tuned for additional entries!

VMIUJcadet09

USN Banner

Good Evening Everyone and welcome to the latest entry for Southern Cities!!!

It has been over a year since I posted, life and work have been incredibly busy. And I've been working on my cities a lot over that time. This entry will be brief and showcase some of the small, mountain towns around my rendition of Cumberland, Maryland (using drunkapple's map of Cumberland MD). These towns are located north and west of the city and Sims can make it to downtown Cumberland within 30-40 minutes, depending on driving conditions as these towns are well away from the interstate. I apologize in advance for the grid, forgot about that...

Here is the largest town of this entry, with a population of 3-5,000 people and replete with independent shops, coffee shops, some offices, and nestled in a narrow valley, surrounded by mountains and farms:

Nn6wpnU.png

Vczue6t.png

Here is a somewhat smaller town, complete with a boutique hotel and a Starbucks:

rItFfoP.png

And a tiny, mountain-top hamlet, much further out from Cumberland than the previous two towns, with a population hovering around 500 (still need to fill in the rest of the forest and smooth out the highway):

3i4tfpB.png

Hope you enjoyed this brief tour, stay tuned for additional entries here and Powhatan Island.

Replies from last entry:

@Schulmanator: Thanks man! Yea, I-85 is terrible, always dread driving that into Greenville, maybe it'll get fixed up soon.

@michae95l: Thank you!

@Mymyjp: Thank you! Those are part of the SNM set and are military housing.

VMIUJcadet09

Replies:

@Schulmanator: Thanks man!

@New Mayor: Thank you!

@SimRico: Thank you so much for your kind words! I'll be adding additional entries to this CJ featuring areas/cities influenced by the Baltimore-DC area. Those updates should be coming shortly.

@Mymyjp: Thank you!

@JP: Thanks!

@slickbg56: Thank you! I try to recreate east coast cities to the best of my ability, but its def hard, lol.

HxiHI76.png

Good Afternoon and welcome to the latest entry in Southern Cities. In this entry we will take an extended tour of the suburbs and exurbs of the Greenville-Spartanburg Metro Area. We will visit some of the quaint towns around the metro area, as well as Fort Wade Hampton, a major military base just south of Spartanburg. This tour follows a massive arc covering the northern, eastern, and southern suburbs of Greenville-Spartanburg, including the base. I will show an overview of this area in follow-on entry.

xnfhRRK.png

qJ9d6db.png

z4fa2O2.png

aneqKAz.png

Xw5YLHO.png

5c8Ej91.png

dlZH7R4.png

zk8NBC4.png

NnjVs5C.png

UxpLTsh.png

lit2Qnd.png

NlDK5MC.png

G2WP1es.png

gzqZEAn.png

0BtMXaJ.png

o9gJiVL.png

dD4d3j7.png

hmyyi64.png

Rl1S26B.png

3SnMOjz.png

xoEnfVw.png

Fort Wade Hampton:

6zOzySW.png

FpfY2Go.png

uD2pMXo.png

uDDk7jX.png

72S3DUb.png

7VcG44d.png

Hope you enjoyed this massive tour! Stay tuned for more!

VMIUJcadet09

Replies:

@Schulmanator: Yes it is, very beautiful city, I would live there in a heartbeat if I could.

@SimRico: Thank you so much for the kind words! If you've never been, you should go to the real Charleston, you will not regret it. Who knows, you may just try to move there :)

@Neto Dari: Thank you!

Good Evening Everyone!

Welcome to Cumberland, Maryland, affectionately called "The Queen City" and one of the largest cities in western Maryland. This is a mountain city surrounded by numerous ridges of the Allegheny Range of the Appalachian Mountains, and straddles the Potomac River, some 200ish miles northwest of the nation's capital, Washington DC. The next several images will show a brief overview of the city and its environs, using Drunkapple's map of Cumberland.

*Note: this is a fictional rendition of the city and bears little to the real city. If you want to see the real Cumberland, you should go there, it is beautiful :)*

This first image shows several businesses, the Chamber of Commerce, an elementary school, a boutique hotel, and residences in the historic district surrounding downtown. Most of these houses were built in the mid-1800s. The homes in this area range from 180K (smaller ones) to well over 1 million for the larger homes, and the houses on the Potomac.

6KVXbhB.png

Here is Cumberland Midtown, a business district across Wills Creek from Downtown Cumberland. The Western Maryland Farmers Market is in the middle, across the street from the Cumberland Fire Dept and Allegheny Baptist Church.

vzI6aKz.png

Here is a shot of downtown, right after Interstate 68 crosses Wills Creek (near its junction with the Potomac River). This area holds the tallest buildings in western Maryland.

9xcNUNn.png

Here is another shot of downtown, focusing on the numerous rowhouses and townhouses around downtown. These homes start at approx. 200K. The white office building on the left is one of the tallest buildings in the Cumberland metro area.

gX2DQpU.png

Here is the junction of the Potomac River (left) and Wills Creek (right).

QybdWVD.png

Cumberland is a major manufacturing center, as is evident in this image. There are numerous mills, manufacturing plants, and rail infrastructure in the metro area. The rail yard in this image is one of the smaller rail yards in the Cumberland area.

y3ydjUM.png

Here is Fort Hill High School, the largest high school in the city and in all of Allegheny County, and is surrounded by numerous middle-class and upper-income houses built between 1900-1960. There is also a new Starbucks across the street to feed the caffeine addictions of the students and teachers. :)

7iHu8Wn.png

Here is a shot of Potomac Avenue, a major north-south artery on the east side of the city, passing through the city's historic district.

MeryyUk.png

Here is the Allegheny Highway, a divided surface highway connecting I-68 to the Potomac and the suburbs in neighboring West Virginia. This road leads to the Allegheny Valley Mall, the largest mall in this part of the state, and one of the busiest shopping districts within a 60 mile radius.

Khj4QuS.png

dUk1oPT.png

Here is the lacrosse/soccer stadium for Western Maryland University, home to 10,000 undergrad and 2,000 graduate students.

gMXM9ZX.png

Here are the main academic halls for Western Maryland University.

NmECZmB.png

And finally, a shot of a B&O commuter train heading towards the Cumberland Regional Airport and Potomac Town. This image is in West Virginia, as the Potomac River curves from the left to the right -- barely visible in the lower right.

Las57pr.png

Hope you enjoyed your tour of Cumberland, MD! Stay tuned for more!

As always, comments are more than welcome. Please feel free to check out Powhatan Island at your leisure.

VMIUJcadet09

Replies:

@jorge_carrillo: Thanks! I got the vast majority of the buildings from the STEX, LEX, Simpeg.com, and a few random sites.

@MushyMushy: Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it! As far as the last pic goes, it is a work in progress and will eventually be the US Naval Academy.

@Kevenbro: Thank you!

@SimRico: Thank you so much! I appreciate it! :)

Good evening and welcome to my version of Charleston, South Carolina. One of the oldest cities in the State and recently ranked as one of the friendliest cities in the US :)

In this tour, I will take you to the southeastern half of the historic district of the city, featuring Battery Park, some terminals of the Port of Charleston, and half of the historic district, as well as some islands in Charleston Harbor.

Without further adieu, here is Fort Sumter, site of the first shots of the American Civil War (I couldn't find a really good antebellum/Civil-War era coastal fort, so this is a stand-in until I can find one :))

4YBt86i.png

Here is an overview of the southeastern part of the historic district. Home to numerous historic shops, homes, offices, houses of worship, and parks (It is dang near impossible to attempt to re-create historic Charleston, and I restricted the buildings to the Chicago 1890 tileset to at least capture some semblance to the real city).

1DNywfL.png

Here is another shot of the northern part of the city tile, featuring a mix of residences, industrial facilities, and a park.

UwZChEb.png

Here is a shot of one of the many terminals for the Port of Charleston. This, and other coastal sections, are all works in progress as I am trying to enhance my coast development skills :).

weIaCMs.png

Here is the tip of historic Charleston, centered on Battery Park and home to some of the most prestigious homes in all of Charleston...and the US. Homes here sell for well over $1 million, with numerous homes selling for $10 million +.

Vv9WkzP.png

Here is a shot just north of Battery Park, featuring the city's Episcopal Church and several historic offices; as well as Charleston City High School and a building housing part of the Charleston Southern University Business School. (tall blue and white building)

WVzmMGA.png

This shot shows the entirety of Battery Park, focusing on the Civil-War era cannons, commemorating the defense of the city during the Civil War, as well as serving as a memorial to the war dead from the Union and the Confederacy.

MOadYAB.png

And finally, here is Wood Island. A small, undeveloped island in Charleston Harbor. Home to numerous shore birds, pelicans, and other maritime species. Hope you enjoyed your brief visit to Charleston! Stay tuned to more! :)

AbN42YG.png

VMIUJcadet09

Good Evening Everyone!

Welcome to the most recent entry for Southern Cities! This CJ has fallen to the wayside as I've been working on my other CJ: Powhatan Island, but wanted to divert some attention here.

In this entry we return to Annapolis, the State Capital of Maryland. This is a stylized, fictional recreation of Annapolis, with some elements of the real city thrown in for good measure.

Here is Midtown Annapolis, site of the tallest buildings in the city (so far) and serves as the CBD for the city as Downtown is a historic district.

Annapolis-Aug4481407804111_zpsc773bb5e.png

Here is a junction of two of the busiest streets in Annapolis, State Street running towards the top of the screen, and Annapolis-Bowie Rd running east-west.

Annapolis-Aug18481407804122_zps1529e42c.png

This area below is a WIP. It will be home to the US Naval Academy when I am done.

Annapolis-Aug28481407804140_zps3911db4e.png

Hope you enjoyed this brief visit! Stay tuned for more in Southern Cities. Feel free to visit Powhatan Island at your leisure! :)

VMIUJcadet09

Good Evening Everyone!

After a long hiatus due to an incredibly busy schedule in RL I am proud to introduce you to my attempt at a somewhat realistic (as much as I can do in SC4) re-creation of Annapolis, the state capital of Maryland.

Here are several images of the central, historic part of Annapolis filled with (mostly) buildings from the 18th Century. Since I couldn't find a good stand-in for the Maryland State House, I've used the Maxis Independence Hall.

blogentry-202086-0-62393800-1395181186_t

blogentry-202086-0-28922300-1395181194_t

The next picture shows one of the main north-south thoroughfares running past a lacrosse stadium (What kind of MD city is it without lacrosse :P?)

blogentry-202086-0-38755700-1395181203_t

I hope you've enjoyed your visit to Annapolis! Comments are more than welcome!

I intend on adding additional entries to this CJ at least once per week; a more realistic time-frame will likely be once every two weeks, but we will see.

I'll also be incorporating several additional cities to the Southern Cities universe: Asheville NC, Charlotte NC, Savannah GA, Charleston SC, Clifton Forge VA, Winchester VA, Cumberland MD, Washington DC, and Columbia SC.

I've started several side projects beyond Southern Cities; a fictional region that will blend Mountain West with Southern cities (we'll see how that turns out.), a fictional US state based on the map of Malta, and building recreations/possible fictional cities using the maps of Juneau AK and Kansas City.

Stay tuned for more!

Thanks,

VMIUJcadet09

VMIUJcadet09

Replies:

@Schulmanator: That's awesome! Aiken's a pretty cool town!

@raynev1: I agree with the leafy medians reducing smog. Besides Aiken, there are several cities that I know of that have lots of greenspace near downtown, three examples that come to mind are Savannah, GA, Greenville, SC, and Washington, DC.

Good Evening Everyone!

In this entry, we re-visit Aiken to see several additional sites within the city (I'll probably have additional updates, as this city is a WIP).

This first image shows the Aiken County Courthouse, the seat of government for Aiken County, along with the historic county hospital, and the AIken Chamber of Commerce by the railroad tracks.

blogentry-202086-0-87121300-1379293411_t

This image shows the historic Aiken City Hall, adjacent to the Swamp Fox Fountain, and several county government offices.

blogentry-202086-0-10385500-1379293430_t

Here we see the Aiken Mercedes dealership, a happenin' place for the wealthy residents of the city (in-game avg. income is roughly $70,0000). In real-life there is no Mercedes dealership in Aiken, the nearest one is in nearby Augusta, GA.

blogentry-202086-0-14667400-1379293462_t

What's a tour of Aiken without showing off some of the wealthy equestrian-type residents' homes?? Since Aiken was known to be a winter colony for wealthy Northerners, we see two fine examples of the historic mansions built by these wealthy Northern equestrian folks.

blogentry-202086-0-33407500-1379293439_t

Hope you enjoyed this installment of "Southern Cities!" Stay tuned for additional entries!

VMIUJcadet09

Good Evening!

After some delay I am proud to introduce you to Aiken! Unlike my other cities, I attempted to re-create the city to the best of my ability. Without the many mods that dedicated SC4 fans created, this would not be possible, so I am grateful to you all!

And now, pictures of Aiken! You will notice that many of the streets in downtown Aiken are separated by a leafy median, providing extra shade to Aikenites during the heat of a Carolina summer.

This picture shows some of the shops in downtown Aiken, this is only the northern edge of downtown, as the CBD is much bigger than this small block. These shops are surrounded by historic homes, many of which were built in the mid-19th century.

blogentry-202086-0-65440000-1377216447_t

This picture shows the historic Mead Hall Episcopal School, a prestigious private school within Aiken city limits.

blogentry-202086-0-63958400-1377216342_t

In this image, we see several mills and typical, historic homes of downtown Aiken.

blogentry-202086-0-50608700-1377216259_t

Here is the Hitchcock Woods, one of the largest urban forests in the US, which preserves the Long-leaf pine-wiregrass ecosystem common to the Sandhills/lower Piedmont of South Carolina.

blogentry-202086-0-78484000-1377216274_t

Enjoy! Stay tuned to additional entries for Aiken in the coming days!

VMIUJcadet09

Good Evening Everyone!

After a long hiatus from updating my City Journal I want to introduce you to my re-creation of Aiken, SC; the county seat and largest city in Aiken County, SC. Most of my cities are of my own imagination and are loosely based off of real cities. In this case, I attempted to re-create Aiken to the best of my ability with the resources available thanks to the many SC4 developers, without your hard work this would not be possible.

This is only a teaser and will provide a more detailed view of Aiken by the end of this week or early next week. Enjoy!!

blogentry-202086-0-93925300-1375741729_t

This teaser view shows most of the historic center of Aiken, with the county court house, chamber of commerce, city hall, as well as numerous shops, offices, restaurants, and homes. There are also several historic churches in this part of town. The large forest to the right is my re-creation of the Hitchcock Woods (1/2 completed), which is one of the largest urban forests in the US and preserves the long-leaf pine/wiregrass ecosystem which was wide-spread through the Sandhills/Piedmont of SC and GA. The roads to the bottom head toward North Augusta, SC and Augusta GA; while the roads to the top head to Columbia, SC (will add this to my CJ in the near future).

Stay tuned for more and I appreciate your support and feedback!

VMIUJcadet09

Good Evening Everyone!

Tonight I introduce you to the quaint city of Salem, VA; a suburb just west of Roanoke along Interstate 81. This city has approx. 23,000 people and is the 2nd largest suburb of Roanoke, with one of the highest average incomes in the metro area with $50,000; whereas Roanoke has one of the highest average incomes in all Southern Cities at approx. $120,000.

blogentry-202086-0-03985900-1361499259_t

Salem is home to a large technology campus in the north, where several biotech and information systems companies call home.

blogentry-202086-0-34327700-1361499293_t

The city also boasts a vibrant CBD, albiet small, with numerous restaurants, shops, apartments, condos, and townhomes.

blogentry-202086-0-28360900-1361499303_t

South of the city is the main medical research center, which provides important faciltiies and state-of-the-art laboratories to the NIH and nearby Virginia Tech.

blogentry-202086-0-34307900-1361499313_t

Here are some additional views of the city, showing I-81 coursing just north of the city (2nd picture), connecting it to Roanoke and Blacksburg (Virginia Tech).

blogentry-202086-0-32213400-1361499270_t

blogentry-202086-0-94826200-1361499280_t

I hope you enjoyed your visit, stay tuned for more!

VMIUJcadet09

In this final entry of the day, we will take a tour of miscellanious sites through the city.

The first image shows sections of Atlanta municipal forest, which is scattered throughout the metro area and preserves the native vegetation, consisting of numerous broadleaf trees, as well as pines, including loblolly, long-leaf, short-leaf, and slash. Also visible are several holdout farms, whose owners have not yet sold their properties to be developed!

blogentry-202086-0-62409300-1358112595_t

Here is the Fulton County Courthouse, which takes care of all judicial business within very densely populated Fulton County, GA.

blogentry-202086-0-02898700-1358112606_t

Here is the ATL Convention Center and the Peachtree Market. The convention center hosts countless events the entire year, from exhibitions to weddings and everything in between. Across the Amtrak/Georgia Pride rail-line is the Peachtree Market, where farmers from surrounding communities come to display their fresh produce, baked goods, meats, and other agricultural products.

blogentry-202086-0-32945500-1358112618_t

Nearby are some examples of majestic Southern mansions, which house the city's elite.

blogentry-202086-0-73531000-1358112627_t

Further south, adjacent to the interchange of I-75/85 and I-20 is Georgia State University, along with the GSU hospital, and upscale housing and shopping.

blogentry-202086-0-69728500-1358112636_t

VMIUJcadet09

In this entry I will take you on a tour of the massive CBD of Atlanta. The majority of skyscrapers you see grew on their own, only a select few were plopped.

The below images show an overview of downtown Atlanta, centered around the Georgia State Capitol with its beautiful golden dome, Georgia government offices, and the convention center. The government offices adjacent to the State Capitol house every state-level government department, ranging from the Dept. of Education to the Dept. of Transportation and more. The black, low-level building on the main avenue west of the Capitol is the Law Enforcement Center, which houses the Atlanta FBI Field Office, the HQ for the Georgia Bureau of Investigations, and the DEA.

As you can see, ATL is home to numerous skyscrapers, home to multi-national, national, and regional banks, financial companies, tech companies, as well as government contractors and more!

blogentry-202086-0-67430900-1358112223_t

blogentry-202086-0-82044700-1358112230_t

blogentry-202086-0-10920600-1358112239_t

blogentry-202086-0-62912800-1358112254_t

VMIUJcadet09

Good Afternoon Everyone!!

After a long hiatus I return with my recreation (fictional) of the state capital, and largest city, of Georgia--Atlanta. I will try to keep some similarities with the real ATL, with massive skyscrapers as well as low-density areas surrounding the central core. As of now, my Atlanta has approximately 520,000, and I will finish the region with close to 5 million people, which coincidentially is the population of the Atlanta metro area.

In this first of several entries for ATL, we see a regional satellite image, as well as the region map. Right now I am working on enclosing the city with a beltway; which may be eclipsed by an outter beltway in the future. Unfortunately, ATL only has a regional airport, a large international airport will be constructed in due time.

blogentry-202086-0-64936300-1358112003_t

The Atlanta transportation system, as shown in the below map, is based on an assortment of freeways, light-rail, heavy commuter rail, and an extensive bus network.

The freeways traversing the city include I-85, I-75, and I-20; as well as a host of smaller US and state highways. Additionally, the mass transit system connects all portions of the city into a complex, well-connected network.

blogentry-202086-0-41845200-1358112011_t

VMIUJcadet09

Good Afternoon Everyone,

As promised here are close-ups of the Augusta Regional Airport, which was introduced last week!

The first picture shows the approach arriving aircraft take when they land at the sole runway at AGS.

blogentry-202086-0-98664300-1349723846_t

Luckily, there is plenty of room around the airport for expansion when further growth in the metro area warrants another runway.

Here is the parking pad for business jets and privately owned aircraft. This is where pilots can store their planes when they arrive for the Masters Tournament in April. It is located just south of the terminal.

blogentry-202086-0-20816100-1349723854_t

Here is an overview of the terminal at AGS; where the ATCT is south of the terminal, and airport parking is across the airport road. Parking is only $5 a day for short-term, and $6 for long-term parking, pretty cool huh? :D Also, you will find rental cars and the Augusta Metropolitian Transportation (AMT) buses for travel into the city.

blogentry-202086-0-25850300-1349723864_t

This is a close-up of the terminal, where you can clearly see the liveries of the airlines servicing AGS!

blogentry-202086-0-64662300-1349723883_t

Last, but not least, is the freeway interchange just north-east of the airport. Heading north will take you to downtown Augusta. East will take you over the Savannah River into Aiken County, SC. West will take you towards Evans and Martinez, GA; suburbs of Augusta. South will take you towards Waynesboro, GA and eventually Savannah. South of this interchange (the Downtown Expressway (GA-429)) loses it's status as a closed-access divided highway and becomes a surface highway, where the speed limit drops from 65 mph to 55 mph. The speedlimit on the beltway (the east-west freeway) is 65 mph throughout its entire length from the western terminus at I-20 in Martinez and its eastern terminus northeast of North Augusta, SC.

blogentry-202086-0-96508400-1349723873_t

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the Augusta Regional Airport! Enjoy your flight!

VMIUJcadet09

Good Evening Everyone!

Sorry for such a long absence between updates, real life has been super busy and will probably be busy for a while. Anyways, I decided to do a quick update and introduce the Augusta Regional Airport (AGS) to you! This is only a teaser (mainly cause my game crashed to desktop when I tried to zoom in!) but here is a good overview of the airport and its surrounding environs.

blogentry-202086-0-16641800-1349398534_t

As you can see, there is only one runway and several taxiways to the only terminal. AGS is served by US Airways, Continental, and United with direct, non-stop flights to Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington-Reagan, and BWI. The airport has the capacity for larger airplanes in order to bring in loads of passangers for the annual Masters Tournament, held every April. The airport is off a main road which leads right into Augusta, as well as the Augusta Beltway (I-520) and the Downtown Expressway (GA-429); which is the interchange you see to the upper right of the runway.

Hope you enjoy your visit, stay tuned for more!

VMIUJcadet09

Reedy River

Good Evening Everyone!

Welcome to the town of Reedy River, a small town of 5,000 located approx. 20 miles south-east of Greenville along the Reedy River as it descends down the Piedmont towards the state capital (Columbia). The town is surrounded by picturesque farms and lots of forest.

I apologize in advance for only 2 images, my game crashed to desktop before I could snap additional images. Anyways, I've uploaded two pics, the first is of the main street in Reedy River, situated on the East Bank of the Reedy RIver. In the second image, you will find the mansions that lie immediately to the north of main street.

blogentry-202086-0-45565500-1348016484_t

blogentry-202086-0-23190500-1348016492_t

I hope you enjoyed this quick visit to Reedy River, stay tuned to more! As always, comments are more than welcome and much appreciated!

VMIUJcadet09

Town of Patapsco!

Good Evening Everyone!

After a long hiatus (Real Life was busy!) I will introduce you to the town of Patapsco, a thriving, quaint town of approx. 6,000 south east of Baltimore, Maryland. This town is just barely within the Baltimore Beltway, but is in a lightly developed quadrant of the metro area. The primary industries in the town so far are agriculture, fishing, the Marina, the local school system, some high-tech industry, and mom and pop shops. It is also within an easy commute of downtown Baltimore, other major suburban communities, Ray Lewis International Airport, the Baltimore Naval Yard, and the Baltimore Washington International Airport.

The first picture shows an overview of Patapsco, which is on a small spit of land in the estuary of the Patapsco River as it enters the Chesapeake Bay. There are only 2 main entrances into town; the southern road, and the ferry at the northern tip.

blogentry-202086-0-08050000-1347487849_t

Here is the southern road into town:

blogentry-202086-0-65009400-1347487860_t

Here are some pictures covering the quaint business district, along with the Patapsco Episcopalian Church, and the Marina, a very popular hangout spot for local kids without having to go into Baltimore:

blogentry-202086-0-27782500-1347487870_t

blogentry-202086-0-59032700-1347487895_t

blogentry-202086-0-70954400-1347487879_t

And finally, here is a picture of the Francis Scott Key Bridge of the Baltimore Beltway (I-695) connecting both banks of the Patapsco River and the Baltimore harbor; heading to the right will take you to Dundalk and the Ray Lewis International Airport. Heading to the left will take you towards West Baltimore, Elkridge, Howard County, and the Baltimore Washington International Airport:

blogentry-202086-0-42208700-1347487888_t

Hope you enjoyed your tour of the Town of Patapsco, stay tuned for more!

VMIUJcadet09

Fort Wade Hampton

Good Morning!

In this tour we will take a limited-access tour of Fort Wade Hampton, named after Confederate General and cavalryman Wade Hampton, one of South Carolina's own. This base is the largest US Army base in the Upstate and home to elements of the 20th Styker Battalion and the 39th Infantry Battalion, both recently returned home from combat in Afghanistan. The other tenet of the base is a joint center operated by intelligence components of the US military, Defense Dept, and the Intelligence Community. On the same plot of land, but under a different command is Palmetto Air National Guard Base, a fighter squadron prepping for deployment to the Persian Gulf.

Here is an overview of the base, showing base housing and support facilities to the east, intel facilities in the south/west, and the Air Base just south of the Army base.

blogentry-202086-0-13749500-1345380273_t

Here is a close-up of some of the base housing. Post housing is very limited so on a first-come first-serve basis, so many soldiers who are able choose to live in the apartments and houses surrounding the base in nearby Chester.

blogentry-202086-0-75456500-1345380242_t

Here is the joint Intel site on Ft Wade Hampton, we don't know much about what they do there, but they're always busy!

blogentry-202086-0-51597000-1345380264_t

Nearby is the intelligence collection site, too bad access is extremely restricted :cry: .

blogentry-202086-0-62427800-1345380255_t

VMIUJcadet09

Chester, SC!

Good Morning and Happy Sunday!

@Jacob: What method do you use to upload pictures? I convert .pngs to .jpgs and upload them that way, hopefully there is a more efficient way.

@chimeran: I took your advice and minimized the task bar and did CTRL+SHIFT+S. Much improved pictures thanks to you! I appreciate it!

Today I will introduce you to the municipality of Chester. This city is a rapidly growing community immediately south of Spartanburg, with a burdgeoning population thanks to nearby Fort Wade Hampton and its associated missions focusing on housing elements of mechanized infantry battalions of the US Army, and a joint operations center run by the US Intelligence Community.

In this entry I will introduce you to several civilian areas of town, including the Chester Riverfront on the Reedy River, Downtown Chester, and Wade Hampton High School.

Here is the Chester Riverfront, showing the city hall, Cardiff Tower, and some shops and restuarants. The river is the Reedy River, running from Greenville towards Columbia, SC.

blogentry-202086-0-37954600-1345379648_t

Here is Downtown Chester, which is on the north bank of the Reedy River, home to Loyalty Building, which houses law firms and financial services companies, and the historic Hotel Chester, built in the 1830s and served as a HQ for Confederate forces operating out of South Carolina.

blogentry-202086-0-69089700-1345379663_t

Finally, here is Wade Hampton High School, named after Confederate General Wade Hampton, a cavalry officer from South Carolina who served alongside JEB Stuart. This high school is one of the largest in the area with approx. 1900 students and possessing one of the powerhouse football teams in the Upstate, the Wade Hampton Renegades.

blogentry-202086-0-74042800-1345379681_t

VMIUJcadet09

In this third entry, we will visit some of the athletic facilities in the city, as well as some additional shots around town, including townhome development, and the Roanoke Valley Mall.

In this image we see the Roanoke University Football Stadium, Roanoke Municipal Baseball Stadium, the Omni Hotel, and the Roanoke Valley Soccer Stadium.

blogentry-202086-0-12146700-1345251292_t

Here are some beautiful townhouses in the southern reaches of Roanoke, very close to downtown and shopping!

blogentry-202086-0-01531400-1345251328_t

Here is the Roanoke Valley Mall, the only mall in the entire valley, and surrounded by upscale shopping venues, including "Organique Foods" as well as middle-class apartments across the highway (VA-30).

blogentry-202086-0-36680800-1345251397_t

Here is the interchange between I-581 and VA-30 (Roanoke's by-pass road). I-581 connects to I-81 to the north in Staunton (In real life, Staunton is approx. 80 miles north of Roanoke, since I couldn't find a map of Staunton I put it here :) ).

blogentry-202086-0-72218100-1345251518_t

VMIUJcadet09

Roanoke Living...

In this tour, we will take a look at some of the residential offerings in Roanoke, which has a very high quality of life, affordable housing, good schools and hospitals, and a very low crime rate.

Here is the Roanoke State Hospital, constructed prior to the Civil War, it was used as an infirmary during the CW and treated Confederate and Union troops alike.

blogentry-202086-0-85548500-1345251047_t

Several miles away are some single family houses, which are very prevalent in the area.

blogentry-202086-0-96084000-1345251079_t

More suburban development:

blogentry-202086-0-23292700-1345251103_t

Housing in the south:

blogentry-202086-0-16623900-1345251125_t

VMIUJcadet09

Good Evening and Welcome to Roanoke VA, I hope you enjoy your visit!

The city of Roanoke (pop. 64,000) is the largest city in a rapidly growing metro area of 125,000 people. It is situated in a large valley in the Blue Ridge mountains of western Virginia. The avg. income in Roanoke is among the highest of any municipality in "Southern Cities" at just under $120,000. The city is a regional center for finance, military, manufacturing, research, and agriculture, with a regional airport with direct flights to Reagan National in DC, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Charlotte.

Here is an overview of the city of Roanoke, which is surrounded by forest, farms, and mountains.

blogentry-202086-0-35242100-1345250591_t

Here is the Roanoke Regional Airport. A small airport with one runway, yet is still relatively busy.

blogentry-202086-0-91412700-1345250623_t

Here is the Southwest Virginia Law Enforcement Center, which houses training facilities for Virginia State Police, Roanoke Police, and various police departments from the Shenandoah Valley, New River Valley, and the rest of Southwestern Virginia. This is also the HQ for the Roanoke PD and a regional office for the FBI and DEA.

blogentry-202086-0-39388100-1345250653_t

And a close-up...

blogentry-202086-0-53760100-1345250756_t

Here is downtown Roanoke, which houses several small skyscrapers and numerous restuarants, condos, and shops; as well as city hall and the train station.

blogentry-202086-0-88767500-1345250815_t

Hope you enjoy! Another update very soon to follow!

VMIUJcadet09

Good Evening!

This evening I present the city of Baltimore. Baltimore is the largest city in the state of Maryland, and my version there-of has (so far) approx. 1.4 million people, and will reach a projected population of 6-8 million. The main industries here are: financial, government, defense, high-tech, manufacturing, retail, and finally agricultural. There are 2 international airports and the largest naval base in "Southern Cities."

Note: Although Baltimore, and the rest of Maryland is not recognized as a Southern entity, it being a border state (and south of the Mason-Dixon Line), retains aspects of Southern culture, and it is historically a Southern state, although definitely not culturally Southern at this time (unless visiting parts of Western Maryland, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore).

In future entries I will introduce my versions of Washington DC, and Annapolis, MD to round out the Mid-Atlantic part of "Southern Cities." Don't worry though, I will be going back to the rest of "Southern Cities" over the next weeks, months, and hopefully years! Enjoy!!

Anyways, let me introduce you to two images of the Baltimore region.

The first image shows the large CBD of Baltimore, along with extensive waterfront development, including the Naval Yard, the Ray Lewis International Airport in Dundalk, on the east side of the Baltimore Harbor Bridge, and some of the northern suburbs including Towson, Pikesville.

blogentry-202086-0-00447200-1345070671_t

The second image shows the suburbs emanating to the west of Baltimore, including Columbia, Halethorpe, Woodlawn, Catonsville, Elkridge, and the Baltimore-Washington International Airport, as well as the freeway leading to Washington DC.

blogentry-202086-0-26610200-1345070678_t

Hope you enjoy and stay tuned for more!