• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A small city off of I-65 in southern Indiana

Entries in this City Journal

Harden

Salem Golf Course

Columbus is growing, no doubt about it, and Farmer John Salem wasn't going to fool himself. Salem, 30 years old, realized that the city is going to invade his land no matter what, sense the lot to the west of his was made into subdivisions 2 years ago. So, he decided to make something of it that would be accepting of suburban folks.

A golf course! full 18 holes, and a driving range! (Thanks to skimbo's DragonGolfClub in the STEX.) He also took money out of his retirement fund to build streets for residents to build houses. With running a real-estate business and a Golf Course, many consider him a genius, and other farmers that have had their land eaten up wonder why they didn't think of that earlier.

"Well, I took a huge risk, and almost lost all of my money putting this together. If it didn't work, then I would be in a serious financial difficulty." Salem told the Republic Newspaper.

Salem's stock is growing at an un-believable rate. His golf course is located off of I-665 and 25th street, which gives the Salem Golf Course a much stronger recognition than if he was out in the boonies. It's funny, because he was one of the most angry of farmers when I-665 cut off a strip of his land on the west. Oh how his way of thinking has changed. He's never swung a golf club in his life, all he's done is milk cows and drive tractors. This new Golf Course has given him an open mind, and he expects his children to compete in the PGA tour when they're his age.

No pressure kiddo's.

Harden

Hey you. Yeah you.

LOOK DOWN.

Further....

Further....

Further....

Further.....

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you guys are enjoying my CJ. I've been having a lot of fun with it, and I hope that my lame storybook telling is funny to some of you. Now go down further.

Further.....

Further......

FURTHER....

.... further.

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day!

Harden

There is a reason why there still hasn't been a road built between Hope and Columbus, although they almost came close to closing a deal. Years ago, neither of the communities were big enough that a direct road between the two wasn't even necessary. Columbus loves their mayor, San Trippy, who has served 8 years. Several male members of the "Trippy" family have held that position for a consistent 50 years, more so then any other town in America. There is just something in their blood that helps them know how to build a great community. They aren't all great with family relationships, though.

Same deal with Hope. Hope has been ran by mostly females and they are all from the same family as well. Hope loves their mayor, Sandy Clabbers, except for one stupid decision that she's made. Sandy has had a rough past, so the citizens of Hope forgave her really easily. They treat her like an innocent victim, as well as a goddess, so whatever she does, they will support, which can be very dangerous at times. More on that later, but first I should say that the Clabbers have a family history of blood pressure problems.

Previous Columbus mayor Will Trippy, San Trippy's brother was married to previous Hope mayor Abber Clabbers. They shared a lovely marriage, and they were even featured in New York's "Time" Magazine for being such a unique couple. They had a daughter together, named Sandy. Will and Abber were married for 13 years, and they seemed at such peace, but after 13 years, Will got tired of her, and Will had an affair with a hooker at his home. Abber told him that she was going to the State Fair in Indianapolis to try and spread some hype for her city, as she believed it had potential to grow. Will thought to himself that this was the perfect time to sneak one by, especially sense Sandy was on a field trip in Washington D.C. He called up the hooker and she came almost immediately. Kind of creepy.

Abber realized that once she got to I-74 that she left some important documents at home. She blamed it on low blood pressure. She headed back and opened the door, and found both Will and the hooker naked on the couch, and their feet moved in a sudden jolt at her appearance, which knocked a glass of alcohol all over the documents she needed for the State Fair. Abber, who thought three seconds ago that she was in a perfect marriage, was in complete shock of the scene, and her blood pressure rose, and rose, and rose, and rose. She suffered from a heart attack. Will had lost respect from every citizen of Hope, and the State of Indiana forced him to leave office. Columbus citizens didn't support Will by any means, but many still think of him as a legend for bringing Major League Baseball to Columbus, Indiana, as well as a stronger Cummins Engine Company, and just the consistent effort of building Columbus from 50,000 sims during his first year, to 140,000 in his last year. (A 30 year span.)

Anyways, Sandy had a close relationship with her mother, and she has hated her dad ever sense this has happened. She was 16 years old, so she only had to live with him for 2 years, in which she describes as the worst years of her life. She doesn't hate his brother San, but she still doesn't care to be around anyone in that family. Her anger has bottled up inside her for years, and she felt like the Interstate 665 project was stupid and disrespectful to the farmers. She mocked it by drawing up a ring road around Hope, and as she mocked it, her blood pressure rose, and as everyone in the room had respect for her, they dumb foundedly would believe anything that she said, and would support it. She made it a reality, by saying that they need to compete with Columbus, and be a bigger and better city. Hope councilmen just looked at eachother in confusion, and said "Okay!" So the road was built, and it was deemed the most pointless road in America by Forbes magazine's article, "Top 10 pointless road projects in America." She was laughed at across the nation, as sims arrogantly assumed that Hope would never have a chance to be as successful as Columbus, but Hope citizens still love her.

Nobody uses it as a bypass, and Hope barely has any Industry for it in the first place. It's diameter adds up to 1.5 miles east and west, and just half a mile north and south, compared to I-665 which has a diameter of 6 miles east and west, and 8 miles north and south. Many Columbus locals have joked that next they can try to start the "Hope 500" and try to be a bigger and better race then the Indy 500. Hope is just trying to make the best of it by trying to attract some retail to the area, as most Hope citizens just drive to Columbus. The road was named North, South, West, and East Circle Drive, due to its location of Downtown Hope, but many sims just call it, "Circle Drive."

Harden

The Airport has been over capacity for several years now. This once small city has exploded like cities you see out in the south west. Nobody could of predicted Columbus to have a metro area of over 500,000 when 20 years ago it only had 80,000.

A part of the I-665 project was for better access to the Airport, and sense that has been completed, construction started immediately on the new passenger terminal, and new runways were installed as well. Mayor San Trippy said, "From what we can see, Columbus is going to continue to grow. We need an airport that will be able to handle the capacity that this region will bring." Sims from nearby cities like Greensburg, North Vernon, Seymour, Bedford, and some sims from Franklin even, use this airport frequently.

Before and after pictures as displayed.

Harden

Cummins expansion

Cummins has become the world leader in diesel powered engines. It has knocked out almost all other brands in its field. The lack of competition has allowed it to expand at an unbelievable rate. Three more large factories were built, including two on bought land on the other side of Haw Creek. Cummins old office building, which has been in that location for years (Still in use now as a hotel for business men) can be seen along the south-east side of Haw Creek. The attachment shows Cummins World Headquarters and their office's. The building (The Renaissance Center) has been an architectual show case to add to the cities collection. It also holds another Columbus fortune 500 Company, Arvin Meritor which was found in Columbus, moved to Troy, Michigan, and then moved back to Columbus. Cummins all together employs 17,000 in the city, and Arvin employs 6,000.

(I know it's the Renaissance Center / GM Headquarters in Detroit, I just thought it was fitting.)

Harden

Interstate 665

The Columbus Metro area has 536,000 sims. The Columbus Airport Authority, (CAA) have requested better transportation to the airport, as the airport had very poor access. The Walesboro Industrial Park Development Crew also were putting up a fight as it would help freight carriers to the east. Oppositions from farmers was the biggest challenge, but they didn't stop the Government from proceeding. The State of Indiana was just as excited as Columbus was to build this Interstate as even more jobs and corporations could come to the area. "That's our goal, to make Columbus a more attractive place for business' and corporations for a booming economy." Mayor San Trippy said.

Attachments: I-665 at the airport, near Walesboro Industrial Park, and the US-31southern junction.

Harden

Stadler Park

Once, Stadler Park was occupied by an old abandoned factory. City officials came together to tear it down and with the new high rises near by, a park seemed very fitting. It also helped Martin Luther King Jr. Street be more apart of the city. Stadler park hosts many of the city's events, including the 4th of July celebration.

Harden

Traffic has clogged the new Flatrock Parkway as many high rises and apartment buildings have sprung up along it. Not to mention, Rocky Ford Road was extended across the Flatrock River to US-31. Projects have risen in northern Columbus, as locals like to call these buildings, "The Big Bullys." The name came across because This part of Columbus used to be full of mansions, which housed many millionaires. Going back to Columbus' history of being a wealthy community, Columbus once had more millionaires per capita in the entire Midwest.

Much of these resedents commute to Downtown Columbus via Flatrock Parkway. Studies showed that many would merge east on to 25th street, and then south on Washington Street, clogging up a once quiet avenue. More high rises south on Flatrock Parkway have that road clogged up as well, and at the point where Lindsey Street and Brown Street begin at 11th street, it was normal to take a 10 minute drive for just two blocks. The mayor said that something had to be done about this, and he took out yet some more neighborhoods and extended lindsey and brown streets. They begin as a brief Avenue called 27th street, and then split and run as one way streets north and south to and from Downtown Columbus. The neighborhoods that the streets tore up were half abandoned already due to the tall buildings surrounding them, so it wasn't as much of a controversy.

Harden

As you expect from a Midwestern city in Indiana, there is a strong support for agriculture. There's plenty of farmland with small boroughs dotting the countryside, such as Elizabethtown in the attachments, located near Indiana 7. The lead image is the Bartholomew County 4H fair off of Indiana 11 and CR 200 S. It is a very popular activity for many youth to be apart of. The other attachment is Ceraland Park, located near Indiana 46, which runs in the tile north of this one. C.E.R.A. stands for Cummins Engineers Recreation Area.

Harden

Along with North Lake, the city also built the Flat Rock and McLullen Reservoirs. They were all completed around the same time. Columbus also bought some land on the west side of McLullen Reservoir, which was mostly patches of woods. (McLullen Reservoir Named after a historic Columbus business leader.) The city renamed CR 330 W to Sampson Boulevard, named after a general from nearby Camp Atterbury. Camp Atterbury is only a 5 minute drive from the community. McLullen Reservoir has also been a popular recreation area for many soldiers at Camp Atterbury. In fact, most of the residents of the community consist of soldiers and people involved with job corp. as well. Many are starting to call this the new Edinburgh, as nearby Edinburgh has seen limited growth while all other communities around it have had population booms. (If I ever get bored enough, I might expand my region further north to include Edinburgh.)

Harden

North Lake

Lets fast forward in time here. You can see the city of Hope on the right of the screen. North lake, on the left, has been completed for over a year. The smaller Shaefer Lake on the right has been there for years. Farmers of course aren't as enthusiastic about this expansion as residents of the downtown area are. North Lake was built by the city of Columbus along Haw creek to reduce flood levels near Downtown Columbus, and south of Columbus as well. The city is hoping to finally start expanding along what was once flood plains. Just to be careful, the city is waiting until the next flood season to see if it will be ok. The city is tired of destroying city blocks of historic neighborhoods to meet up with the demand for housing.

Columbus also purchased land on the east side of the lake for urban expansion. This community of Columbus is called North Lake, obviously named after the lake. Construction first started by building North Lake Boulevard, which runs between CR 600 N and CR 700 N. Currently 13,000 sims live in this addition. CR 600 N is a major east and west route in northern Bartholomew County. Hope doesn't have a marked highway that goes east and west, so CR 600 N was built all the way to Marr Road years ago for better transportation to the city. CR 600 N was renamed Hoosier Drive along the developed area in North Lake.

Harden

Taylorsville is a small rural community north of Columbus off of US-31 and I-65. The incorporated community is surrounded by many subdivisions, and they do not include being incorporated with Taylorsville. I'd say around 3,000 people live in these subdivisions, maybe a little more. In Sim City, 15,000 people live here. Attached is a photo of some of the subdivisions.

Harden

The Town of Hope

This is Hope, Indiana, located off of Indiana 9, a major north south highway in the state serving many small towns like Hope, Shelbyville, Greenfield, and then serves bigger cities like Anderson, and Marion further north. In real life, Hope has around 2,100 people. Hope has historically prided itself in not investing in fast food restaurants, and in the 1960's or 70's, Hope was sponsored in an Arby's commercial sense Arby's was the only chain restaurant in the town. Now a days, Subway is the only one. My Sim City version of Hope has around 12,000 people as just about every sim commutes to the farms. Schaeffer Lake is on the south east side of Hope, (not in the picture) and is a popular recreation area.

Harden

After laying out all the streets and county roads, measuring a large tile ended up being around 3.3 x 3.3 miles. I made a new region and added a large tile length across on the north and east side, so I could include Taylorsville and Hope, small towns in Bartholomew County. The geography and roads aren't perfect to scale by any means, due mostly to Sim City's annoying diagonal road limitations, and frustrating terraforming options after incorporating a city, but it's pretty darn close! I've been using google earth maps to help me out with most of it.

Harden

A farm lot was recently purchased by the city to zone a shopping center. Residents in this part of Columbus didn't have a grocery store within a 5 minute radius. This shopping center includes 2 grocery stores, 7 restaurants, and 3 clothing stores. Tally Road and Rocky Ford Road were expanded to 4 lanes around the shopping center, even though they reduce back to 2 lanes each as they part ways.

More development is to come, and next I'll show the new downtown development and a region shot!

Harden

Suburban Sprawl.

Before I get into the story telling, I wanted to say that when I first laid out the streets and creeks to make it as realistic as possible, I didn't realize it was going to take up so much land. Central Columbus ended up being one large tile, and I had to make extra tiles for the "suburban sprawl like" areas. It actually ended up fitting together really well. This is a large tile with 42,000 people in it, and I was surprised because even laying out central Columbus, with all low density and filling in all the blocks, I had a 60,000 Population. Columbus in real life is 44,000 and barely has any vacant lots or abandoned buildings.

Anyways, this is Rocky Ford Road and other roads, as it appears to be a typical suburban sprawled area.

Harden

This was long known as Columbus Municipal Airport until 10 years ago. The recent explosion of population growth have attracted airlines from major cities other then just Indianapolis. First, Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky International Airport showed interest in a line, then Louisville, then Chicago, and then it started showing up at every airport across the nation. Columbus had a 340,042 population in the city limits alone at the last sim census, and estimates are as high as 380,930 for the next sim census.

Harden

The city researched the traffic flow throughout the city. Many people in the north east parts of Columbus have been commuting to Downtown, and driving on the two lane roads throughout Columbus' suburban sprawl was getting to be a pain. The city saw success with the Flatrock Parkway, and released a statement saying the next project will be Haw Creek Parkway. Haw Creek Parkway was also discussed to be a freeway, but residents revolted crazily against that. The freeway would of took out 4 neighborhoods. Making it a 4 lane parkway instead, allowed it to widen several streets. Citizens were calm and content with that decision. Haw Creek Parkway opened 1 month ago, and traffic reports show that there is a 10 minute difference in commute time from Rocky Ford Road / Marr Road, to Downtown.

Lincoln Park, in the middle of the screen, hosts popular minor league sports, which gives the blue collar population a vibe of competition, socialization, and entertainment.

Harden

East Columbus

The one way streets you see on the left connect to Martin Luther King Jr. Street. This is East Columbus, the least wealthiest neighborhood in Columbus, although comparing to neighborhoods in other cities in Southern Indiana, it might be considered normal. Columbus Transit wanted something more then the ColumBus, so they decided to build a monorail, and they, and the community, felt like the best place to start was to connect Downtown to East Columbus. Within the 3 years of the monorail being open, the neighborhood has seen more prosperity, and mansions have sprung up as well.

Harden

Columbus is trying it's best to make Downtown a central location for the population of the city. The city is taking risks by building this street in an area that doesn't flood as often, but when it does, it can be devastating. All residents on the corridor are required to purchase flood insurance. The city helps the residents paying for their first month completely. Once again, Cummins is what makes Columbus so wealthy to be able to do such things. Plus, the rapid demand for housing has people moving in desperately to anywhere they can find, and the city is doing its best to preserve single family homes.

Harden

Cummins

Cummins has been important to the community sense the beginning of time. Without Cummins, Columbus would be just another small town in Indiana with possibly a population of 14,000, and following the rust belt trend of declining. Cummins has donated tons of money as well to help make Columbus a world class city for Architecture. Cummins is by far Southern Indiana's largest employer, having plenty of factories in Columbus, and another large one in Seymour, south of town.

Harden

Flatrock Parkway

Back in the days when Columbus had a population of 50,000 and had a huge demand for housing, city officials decided to spring up some high rises. The question was, where? Citizens protested very extremely when the city almost demolished 8 blocks of mansions between 4th street and 6th street, and Chestnut Street and Union Street. The mayor then realized he had to buy land, possibly from farmers, to build the high rises. He didn't want to keep expanding to the north and east for a suburban mess. The biggest concern for expanding near Downtown was that Columbus lies in a flood plain. These small quiet creeks that run through the area are nothing to underestimate. Mill Race Park floods an estimated every other year.

The city ended up raising funds to dig into the Flatrock River, making it deeper. Not a very common strategy, but it worked, and the city piled the dirt from that river south of town in a secret spot. Columbus loves to hide its share of the natural ugly things that all cities come with. Columbus plans to fill the river back up with the dirt after the city builds a reservoir north of town along the Flatrock, and another one along the Driftwood, and possibly one along Haw Creek, so that floods won't be so much of a concern any more. (Haw Creek only caused one major flood in noted history.) Flatrock Reservoir will be completed in an estimated 6 years, and Driftwood is expected to start in 3 years.

When the Flatrock River was completed, the city began to build Flatrock Parkway, which they had to demolish a very wealthy neighborhood in the process. The residents of that neighborhood were actually excited to move out and see what was to come, and for their generosity, all of the residents were rewarded with mansions in the Tipton Lakes area. Columbus is moving forward.

Harden

Here are some High Rises and Skyscrapers that have developed just north of the Downtown photo I posted earlier. Young profesionals are really starting to come to the city, and several of them formed a group called, "Connect Columbus." This program inspired the MLB to invest in a team and help fund a stadium as they saw a lot of energy in the city, and eager baseball fans across the hoosier state for a baseball team. They saw that Indianapolis was content with their minor league team, so they came to Columbus. The team was named the Columbus Diesels, named after Cummins Inc. who make engines, and has its world headquarters in Columbus. Currently, the team has a 36-40 record, they're still trying to find a team identity.

Harden

City tour

I really regret not thinking of doing a city journal earlier.This is downtown Columbus. The real Columbus Indiana is a town of around 44,000 people according to the 2010 census, has a building height ordinance, (impossible to replicate on SC4 as far as I know,) and is famously known for it's wealth and world class architecture. First I made all of the creeks and rivers running through the area, and then I laid out all of the streets on Sim City 4 pretty close to how they are in real life. This is a showcase of the things I do when I'm bored, as the whole process of just laying things out and zoning things to be as exact as I could make them took 3 days of nothing but Sim City, eat, and sleep.

The convention Center you see in the middle is in the spot of the Commons Mall, which is an architectual highlight of the city. It was built in the 1960's or 70's, and recently has been torn down and rebuilt with a new design. The Washington Monument on the left, is an observation tower at Mill Race Park. The Courthouse in the middle has to be Columbus's most famous piece of architecture, especially with the 2nd street Cable stayed bridge acting as a frame almost as you're entering the city. The Bartholomew County Jail is also a really nice building. The nicest looking jail I've ever seen. I've also added a monorail from Downtown heading east along State street, aka Indiana 46.

Anyways, my Sim City version of Columbus has 160,000 currently, and the median income for employers is 70,000. I will be updating this quite a bit, and it should be something cool to see. This is my first attempt at doing anything with the simtropolis community other then downloading mods.

I will upload a region screen shot when I get all the agriculture zones figured out, but first, here are some screenshots of Columbus:

(some might be individually shown in other entries.)

First thumbnail is the far east side of Columbus, an industrial district, and is close to Columbus East High School. (Another really neat looking building.)

Sign in to follow this  

volume5_md.pngURGENT! We need your help!

We urgently need your help to meet our September goal!

Please consider a donation today.

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation goes to help us keep the site running free.

Enjoy the site!

OK - See STEX Collections