• Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A reporters view of things...

Entries in this City Journal

rewright

screenhunter03jul052217.jpg

Breaking News: Center Point coming to downtown:

Those who have followed this column may remember I mentioned a retail development coming to downtown Woodstock. Plans where revealed today describing what is labeled “Center Point”, and will include office, retail and residential space. Charter Bank will anchor the office tower and a as yet unnamed department store.

Harry Miller can be reached at: 348-555-1212 or amapper@gmail.com

rewright

screenhunter02jul020946.jpg

North side happening:

Saturday saw the largest north area project come on line with the opening of The Shops At Northwood, which is anchored by a Super Target department store. This is another sign of Woodstock’s growth and a welcome addition to the new residents in that area of town.

Two large apartment communities, Quail Run

(1), (2), (3), (4) and The Regency, have been built along with new single family homes. Smaller complexes (1), (2) are popping up in various locations as well, filling in some of the empty spots between larger developments. The city’s decision to build a highway network before the growth took place is paying dividends by making Woodstock an easy city to navigate.

Bus ridership has seen a steady increase every year as well with new routes planned. One factor in the popularity of the system is the free Wi-Fi in all buses. Business people and students can work during the ride to work and school making the ride go by faster and more productive.

While all this is going on along the city’s outskirts, Woodstock’s

central business district has been able to attract a number of large tenants, changing the city’s skyline. More projects are in the works for downtown, including additional shopping and recreation.

Harry Miller can be reached at: 348-555-1212 or amapper@gmail.com

rewright

screenhunter02jul020946.jpg

Offices, stores and highways on Woodstock’s west side:

The city’s west side is seeing a lot of activity, including stores and offices, which is a result of the highway construction in the last two years. As Mayor Long has often said, “An efficient transportation system is essential to our region’s economic growth. We want other cities sending their young and talented people here, not the other way around”.

A look around the city's west side reveals how quickly the area is expanding with new construction everywhere. Among the most notable development are two shopping centers, office buildings and apartment complexes. Add to this hundreds of new homes and our little city has tripled in population in just a few years.

Office buildings at the Faber Place Executive Center (1), (2), (3) are providing much needed Class 'A' office space for our growing business sector. Phase one consists of two building, with two or three additional buildings planned as the need dictates. This development has caused some heated debate in the planning department between those who want to concentrate large office buildings downtown, and others who feel spreading them out closer to where people live will lessen traffic issues.

Of course not all projects are large, as the Loney Construction Co. illustrates. Dozens of small companies are springing up helping to create a diversified economy. These produce many jobs in a wide variety of skills.

The

Publix Neighborhood Center has a number of these smaller businesses as well and the anchor companies.

My next post will look at the north side of town. See you then.

screenhunter02jun290024.jpg

rewright

screenhunter01jun180822.jpg

screenhunter01jun231147.jpg

screenhunter02jun231203.jpg

woodstockoct14118134046.th.png woodstockoct14118134046.th.png woodstockoct14118134046.th.png

screenhunter03jun231203.jpg

sumpternov1104134046325.th.png sumpternov1104134046319.th.png

Reader Comments:

Great Detail, I love the dam and the layout of the city! Definently want to see more!

• Thanks for the feedback. I like dams and most areas have some.

Looking good, keep it up.

• Thank you, I'll try!

That is an amazing dam! Everything is very realistic, right up to the frontage roads. Great job!

• I like realistic regions and try to create them. There are a number of members who excell at that.

Nice to see you back with another CJ. I see some common styles between this and Oakland County. Like that it is from the perspective of a reporter, look forward to seeing what you do with that.

• Thanks friend. I thought I'd give this venue a shot, so my posts may be a bit rough at first until I get the hang of things.

Wow this looks awesome. Good job !

• Glad you enjoyed the update. Thanks.

Not bad at alll ! looks great in Zoom 2 ! :D

• Thanks for stopping by, and the kind words!

Very realistic! I like it. :)

• I need to do some more lotting when I get more time. Thanks!

Why have you placed a desaltifaction plant next to a lake?

• LOL. In my world its not a desaltifacation plant, it's a treatment plant. Thanks for the visit.

Nice use of custom lotting there... like it.. :)

• Thanks for the comments. I wish I were better at it.

That spillway looks awesome!!

• Its a nice little dam and fits the area well. Thank you for stopping by.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0