• Moose

SimLand

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Traveling out of SimNation? Well, visit the rest of the countries in SimLand. This CJ, brounght to you by Mithrik will explore this imaginary world created by me. You will see multiple countries, and learn about them all. Dive into the SimLand!

Entries in this City Journal

Mithrik

Random Picture 2

Today I present you another image from my recent works. This is a close-up of one of my recent mountain towns in Alpena.

randomstuff2.png

I will try to get ready my region to continue the tour were I left it, with my pending update of Coltonburg, but that's going to take some time, as I am having some issues to resolve there before I can start to tweak it for the update.

See you next time!

Mithrik

Random Picture

Hi everyone, it's been a while since my last entry, this is because I've been playing Minecraft a lot since I got it on the past holidays, and so I didn't play Simcity 4 until last week. Today I took a picture of my recent work in-game, it's only some random location, and is not great stuff, but it's something.

randomstuff.png

Enjoy and hopefully I will be able to keep up with this CJ soon, as I get back to work with my cities.

Mithrik

Better late than never...

REPLIES:

RepublicMaster: Thanks, I did, but I what I saw there was almost always available in SC4D or here, so in the end I didn't download anything from there.

raynev1: Thank you.

ggamgus: Thank you.

IRE505: Thanks, I used rivit's Tarsealed Street Mod.

Halen of Dania: Thank you.

Aaron Graham: Thank you.

Cefien: Thank you.

Well, I was supposed to make this entry yesterday, but I was caught up with the stuff I was given, so sorry. But like the title says, better later than never, doesn't it?

merrychristmas2012.png

Hope you have a Happy New Year, and we will see ourselves in the last entry of this years, this Friday, to visit Coltonburg.

Until then, see ya' ;)

Mithrik

REPLIES:

dubaidude303: Thank you, that AutoZone was made by SimGoober, IIRC.

k50: Thanks you.

wcraig: Thanks you.

Well, in an unexpected turn of events, my last entry, which is one of the most detailed up to date, got a surprisingly low amount of views, well, I will have to make a better effort next time. :uhm:

ANYWAYS.

Today, I will not present you an update of Alpena, because I am playing around with the Euro set, attempting to get a german-styled nation. So instead, of our next stop, I will give you a shot at what I am making right now.

Please understand that I just started this a week ago or so, and I've been having several issues with the mods I am using, plus I had to obliterate the city I will show you, due to frequent crashes, which I don't know why happened, after days of testing my recently installed plugins. Because of all this, I barely had enough development for this to be a small town, and even then it is a work in progress.

On to our update! :)

We approach Guttenberg, a city located in the valley of river Gir, the biggest of all the ones in Huggeland, a Simmeuropean nation, famous, for its beer, meat, cars, and timbered buildings.

guttenberg1.png

As we get to it, we reach an interchange with another small highway that going northwest, and the small farms around the town.

guttenberg2.png

As we enter the town, we a small manufacturing plant and some warehousing.

guttenberg3.png

Just a block away, is located the main intersection, a gas station and some small businesses among the houses.

guttenberg4.png

The old town church and the town square, and then the modern housing in the town.

guttenberg5.png

We go north, passing the dacha complexes that house the ones that have less money.

guttenberg6.png

The highway that went northwest is seen here, a road connects with it before it leave entirely Guttenberg.

guttenberg7.png

Finally, a night shot of the center of Guttenberg.

guttenberg8.png

There is still a lot to do, but I am sure that as I bulid up demand in this region, I will be able to build something more german-looking, this is just the beggining for Huggeland.

Next week we will return to Alpena, were will visit the city of Coltonburg, the epicenter of the new revolution that is changing the whole country.

See you soon!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

SimCoug: Thanks, I like the style it has, it fits very nicely in old cities and industrial zones.

MilitantRadical: Thank you.

dubaidude303: Thank you too.

Utvaw: Thanks, that helipad is the biggest I have done independently from an airport.

16minuteman: Sorry, no airport, like I said, it's just a rumor, and we going elsewhere now.

Welcome back!

Last time we visited Missouri City, an old industrial city in the north of the Great Valley.

Today we leave said valley, and venture to the heart of the country, the most populated and modern area of the country. We are going to the Colton River Valley, where some of the most important cities in Alpena are located, along with the capital, Queenstown.

We leave Missouri City going west, along N-12, the Interstate highway that connects the two big valleys of the country. It's a small, but quite busy road, with constant traffic moving along it.

pidgintown1.jpg

Because it's so crowded, it's not uncommon to see toll booths along it.

pidgintown2.jpg

Many towns boomed along N-12 when it was opened in 1928, back then called Route 3, being the second paved highway in history. The most important of all these towns, is Pidgintown, located almost at half of the stretch between Missouri City and N-2, the main highway of the lower Colton River Valley.

Right now we are approaching Pidgintown, which is why there is an increase in the amount of farms along the road.

Looks like someone is just starting his own farm.

pidgintown3.jpg

More fields along the highway

pidgintown4.jpg

Some minutes later we arrive to the edge of the town.

pidgintown5.jpg

Pidgintown was originally a community of farmers located in a valley of a minor river without name, founded at an unknown date. The valley was the only direct connection between the two big valleys of the country, as otherwise the two are separated by mountains. Because of this, it constantly had traffic from the immigrants going east to colonize the wilderness in the frontier. The valley was a constant hot spot during the Independence war, and when it ended, most of the settlements were abandoned or destroyed. The area slowly was re-populated during the 19th century, and so, the area grew to be known as the Phoenix Valley, naming the river the same way.

The modern Pidgintown was founded in 1832 over the remains of the original, and was the first settlement along the valley to be recognized as a municipality, that happening in 1899. Ever since it has been the only one.

A view of its small downtown. It's very small because there is no real trade business here, most of the locals buy their food directly from the farmers. It is quite a decentralized place.

pidgintown6.jpg

An overview of one of the sides of the town. The Phoenix River cuts through it, and the bigger eastern side, is also the oldest.

pidgintown7.jpg

This is the western side. Many of the structures were built in the past 20 years, being that the reason of it's more modern look when compared to the eastern side.

pidgintown8.jpg

An apartment complex. This building style is found all over these complexes, built by the state for housing in the last decade or so.

Pidgintown is another of the big farming communities of Alpena, though it's a small one compared to others like La Saye. Still, it is often regarded as the best place in the whole country to cultivate peach, and the ones produced here are of top-quality, one of the producers even exports its peaches to some of the country's neighbors.

pidgintown10.jpg

Other crops popular here are hops, barley and Grapes. The regional beer breweries like to buy their goods here, not quite surprising, given the good quality of the soil, the overall quality of most produce in Phoenix Valley is pretty good, selling very good in the markets outside the area.

pidgintown11.jpg

pidgintown13.jpg

Surprisingly, Pidgintown doesn't have a gas station yet, and there are no hotels, so we will have to keep going forward to the next town in the night.

But before leaving Pidgintown, here is a last overview of the town in the evening for you.

pidgintown14.jpg

See you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

k50: Yes, that was the idea... ;)

dubaidude303 : Look in the above response.

Oh my... we are back to full updates? Well... two months of little content pass quickly, but not quickly enough for me to not be eager to continue our tour.

Last time, we took a helicopter from Meadowsville to our next destination. Today, we visit Missouri City another old industrial titan, and the inland brother of Storm City.

We arrive to the city's helipad. It's small and doesn't help at all when it comes to handling other aircraft, like airplanes, but they give it good maintainance.

missourihelipad1.jpg

The rumors say that the the mayor is prospecting to the south of the city to build a new municipal airport, but rumors just that, rumors.

We drop off the chopper and walk into the car rental agency to get one for ourselves. And with our new vehicle, we march unto the urban area.

missourihelipad2.jpg

Missouri City is small city, compared to the rest of the important population centers in Alpena. Barely over 40,000 inhabitants, its population has been dwindling steadily since it started declining in the 70's. It was founded in the early 1700's by Ingerish pioneers coming from Queenstown, the colonial capital. Missouri City was the rebels' headquarters during the Independence War and from its end in 1808 it also was country's capital until it was moved back to Queenstown in 1821.

The city declined until becoming little more than a small town of about 5000 people until the Industrial boom hit it in the early 20th century, when in a matter of two decades it grew to more than 80,000. Alas, it now is a shadow of it's former self. The times changed and the industrial cities of the Great Valley decayed when a new boom caused because of another thing happened in the west, but we will talk about it in later entries.

We enter the city from the north, so we see most of the newer buildings in the city, most of them built in 1992-95, the last time the city population grew.

missouricity1.jpg

We go on through the Main Avenue to the south, we pass through some neighborhoods of old houses. That warehouse-like building is part of the past of city. During its heyday, in the 1920's-1940's, most of the factories in Missouri City were built in the southern area, in a special district for them, with the exception of the one below, and it was a very controversial decision back then to allow the construction of such a building in the middle of the suburbs, but today it's a symbol of the city and is part of the historical buildings list.

missouricity2.jpg

By the way, are you hungry? We can stop in the local Chez Mondo if you like.

Chez Mondo is one of the main restaurant chains in Alpena and one of its biggest companies, and their food is delicious, or so the locals say.

Forward to the south, we find the main bridge of the city, it has two, and this one is the most used, as the other one is in the outskirts.

missouricity3.jpg

At the bottom we can see the old Radio Station, built in the 30's and re-built in the 80's, it's one of the iconic structures in the city's skyline.

Crossing the bridge, we see some denser housing and even rowhouses. Want to know why?

missouricity4.jpg

Yes, you are correct, we are in the city's downtown.

missouricity5.jpg

Well, I didn't say it was big, did I? But despite the apparently chaotic organization, it has quite a nice appeal. The big pink building is the Freytag building, it was built in 1928 and ever since only the industrial smokestacks have been able to be taller than it.

missouricity6.jpg

And talking about smokestacks. We should make a quick visit to the industrial zones, don't you think? After all, that's why this is an industrial city.

Missouri City has an industry that revolves around two things: Steel refining and the automobile industry, and it shows quite a lot in how the industrial district looks like.

missouricity7.jpg

Figaro Motors has it's most modern facilities here, in Missouri City, in a complex with no more no less than five assembly lines. No surprise this is also the most productive complex of the Alpenian car giant.

missouricity8.jpg

Unfortunately we are only seeing the better parts of Missouri City's industrial district, farther to the south lie abandoned steel refineries and old warehouses, mixed with some of the last manufacturing plants built here, in the 60's, we won't go there because it's crawling with criminals and we are also short of time.

The afternoon starts to advance towards the night as we go into the eastern neighborhoods. Some condos and an apartment complex are seen here, they are the newest structures in the city. Also, you can see the local farmers' market.

missouricity9.jpg

Missouri City may be an industrial giant, but still has some farms to the east. Some farms didn't plant this year, due to the poor rains, and most of the ones that did use mechanized irrigation, it has been a harsh year for this area's agriculture indeed until now.

missouricity10.jpg

The sun sets in the horizon, and we start to drive back to the hotel. On our way we cross the second bridge of the city.

missouricity11.jpg

We arrive at night to the Best Western Hotel. Enjoy the room service and the free internet to talk with your relatives.

missouricity12.jpg

Next time we will start driving west to the Colton River Valley, the heart of Alpena, and we also start our journey to the country's capital, Queenstown.

See you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

ggamgus: Thanks for the comments.

k50: Thanks for the comment.

kinderly: Thanks, you may have noticed already at I love them too.

dubaidude303: Thanks, and that's nothing compared to what I have done recently with the RHW.

grstudios: Well, what you saw there was the good ol' land bridge trick for the Maxis plain bridge and this one.

cs7man16: Thank you.

SimCoug: Thanks for your comment.

westy177: Tell that to C.P. and Mattb325, they are the geniuses behind those lovely homes.

Kruness: Sorry to disappoint you, your wait will have to continue.

Hellken: The helipad is included in the here at the STEX. While the structures are MMPs made by (Deer Stand) and

Gugu3: I use the Missouri Break Terrain Mod by C.P.

megie: Thank you.

So long since last update, a month and a half is a lot. But of course I am not leaving this City Journal, we are just starting, the hiatus on which I have been maintaining it will continue, yes, but fear not that I am certainly developing new countries and expanding on the existing ones, especially Alpena.

Expect new entries over the next weeks. And before leaving, I will leave you a special gift: a post card of a place you may recognize from our visit to Granite Creek.

alpenapostcardgc.png

See you around! :)

Mithrik

REPLIES:

hammysonata: Thanks for the comment.

ggamgus: Thanks, sure it was EPIC, it literally took me the whole day to complete it.

dubaidude303: Thanks for the comment.

SimCoug: Thanks, I love CP's houses, they make excellent rural settings.

IL: Thanks, I appreaciate the comment.

B.C builder: Thanks. I think it's in the STEX, though I prefer to link you to the one on SimPeg. Here.

Jim14409: Thanks, glad you are liking the tour.

Kruness: With what you just said is enough. :D

After visiting Aspen, we went back to the junction and traveled north, because today, we are visiting the town Meadowsville.

We are going along the steep edge of a carved mountain road, just don't look down. :P

meadows1.jpg

mountainroad.jpg

meadows2.jpg

After having out little vertigo experience, we finally make it out of the mountains, and reach the lower plain. We have to cross a bridge to the other side first, though. This river here, is no more on less than the River Ernst, since we are near it's origin.

meadows3.jpg

We finally make it, welcome to Meadowsville!

meadows4.jpg

Meadowsville was originally founded about 3 km north of where it seats now. It was a small resting town for the people going past the mountains to colonize the wild lands. But one fateful April 9 of 1889, a huge storm hit the region at night. In a matter of minutes the whole town was flooded, as the River Ernst raised over the plain cover it with more than 2 meters of water. The casualties were huge, half of the town was leveled down, and a third of the population died and/or disappeared.

This lessons made the people of Meadowsville plan to rebuild the town on a higher terrain, they chose the place where it now seats, at the foot of the mountains, and not in middle of the flood plain. As the town growed they had to level part of the land at about the same level as the rest to avoid flooding. Now half of Meadowsville rests over raised land, but since it's now very costly to develop by filling the area with earth, the town council now allows construction on the hillside.

Meadowsville downtown, the town hall seats on one half of the white building in the corner, the other one has a cafeteria.

meadows5.jpg

The big building you see is a warehouse. That warehouse is where supplies for many of the towns in the mountains region are stored in case of emergency. Some local businesses store their own stuff in special rooms of their own that they rent.

meadows6.jpg

The local school of Meadowsville has it's own power generator, this is because the isolation in the region causes trouble when it comes to electricity supply. Recently it was connected to the local water pump.

meadows7.jpg

More commercial buildings. For its size, Meadowsville is quite the trading town.

meadows8.jpg

meadows9.jpg

On the east side of the town is located Coyote Creek. It's very small, but still it provides water to the Ernst River.

meadows10.jpg

Going alond the road that leaves Meadowsville we have this bridge, that is found just before cutting through a hill. Unlike Coyote Creek, this one is completely dried up.

meadows11.jpg

We finish off with Meadowsville Helipad. In times of emergency Meadowsville acts as a very good spot for supplying operations due to it's faciities,which, while basic are still very useful.

meadows12.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the visit to this part of Alpena's mountains. Tomorrow we will take a helicopter ride to back to the Grand Valley. Next time we will visit Missouri City, and it's huge industrial complexes.

See you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

ggamgus: Well, the wait is over! :D

Hazami Pratama: Thanks.

Hey! Wake up! Today we are going for the mountains! Yup, that's right, today we are going to visit start our travels through the Alpenian mountains.

But before, a little insight:

Alpena is famous for it's beautiful mountains, the main reason of the mostly wild state of this country is this. Surrounded and pierced by mountain ranges all over it's geography, it's been hard for the Alpenian government to build infrastructure outside from the two main valleys. Only one quarter of the population is spread over more than 80% of the national territory (a real life example of this kind of situation is Russia).

There are two main mountain ranges in the country:

• Cascavian Coastal Range: This one runs along most of Alpena's coastline, formed mostly by long asleep volcanoes, as well as those created by the push of the continental drift, today the area is relatively safe, as the continental drift that caused the volcanoes activity and created the mountains has been moving into the sea for a few million years, still most of the population in this area does not discard the posibility of earthquakes and tsunamis. Good that thanks to the mountains, the coast is mostly a deserted number of rough coast and cliffs facing the sea.
  • Innland Mountain Range: Such a name was the result of a grammatical error back in the colonial times of Alpena. The Innland Mountains are the largest and bulkiest of the country, sometimes there are even high plateaus created over what should be a mountaintop. This is the result of many millions of years of erosion. Geologists believe this mountains were formed by continental drift, just like the more recent coastal range. It's located right in the center of the Alpena, and many of it's important rivers are born there, like the ones of the Queens River Valley.

Well now that you know a little about the geography of the country let's get started.

The mountains have very characteristic dry climate on it's lower parts, with sage bush, reed grasses, shrubs, and the odd juniper tree.

aspen1.jpg

Some curves, though these are actually the less difficult ones, some are even worse and could cause nausea to some people. But I don't think we will get to have one of those experiences.

aspen2.jpg

A junction in the highway. It's just like a normal one because the low speeds in mountain roads allow for this kind of intersection.

aspen3.jpg

We travel south of the junction and after a few minutes we arrive to Aspen, a small town in middle of a narrow valley.

aspen4.jpg

We stop for some gas and watch the freight trucks go along the main road.

aspen5.jpg

We go on. The terrain starts to get steeper as the road follows the valley.

aspen6.jpg

Eventually we are able to see some water over the creek of this valley, water is roaring somewhere up ahead.

aspen7.jpg

Wondering why? The answer: a dam. That's the Aspen Creek Dam, it provides energy to the whole region through underground cables that go along the mountain roads.

aspen8dam.jpg

Mmmh... we arrived when they are running dry, normally it has the double of water.

Full overview of the dam below.

aspen9dam.jpg

We keep going up the road with some impressive landscape, even though we are in the dry season of June (This region has most of the rainfall in autumn).

aspen10.jpg

aspen11.jpg

The sun starts to settle, and we have to stop somewhere to rest. This small town should do, though I think we will have to ask the locals if they can accept us in their homes, there are no hotels here. It's called New Aspen and this is where most of the dam workers live, as it's just 15 minutes by car.

aspen12.jpg

This finishes off today part of the mountain tour, in the next part we will turn back and go north of Aspen, to the town of Meadowsville.

See you next time!

Mithrik

Alpenian Mountains Teaser

REPLIES:

Hazami Pratama: Thank you.

ggamgus: Thank you for enjoying it.

Schulmanator: Thanks for the comment.

nedal2001: Thanks, I am glad you liked the factory, it's the main piece of Bayoutte, after all.

SimCoug: Thanks, it's because I keep getting more experience at it. ;)

dubaidude303: Thanks you.

k50: Thanks, I use the Ploppable Fences on SPAM Accesories Paeng Vol. 1, you can get it at the PLEX.

LastTrueChamp: Thanks, I tried to make the bridge look great, I am glad you like it. (Whichever of the two you mean :P)

XL: Thank you. Look at the link on k50's reply.

Yep, today I can only bring you a teaser, but why? Why is MIthrik giving a teaser instead of a full entry? IT'S SATURDAY!

Well, don't worry, what happens is that due to a busy week I barely progressed on building the landscapes I will be showing in the next entry, so today I will just give you something to enjoy until Monday, when the entry will come, thanks to the holidays of September in my country.

mountainsteaser.jpg

So see you until Monday!

Mithrik

Bayoutte: Urban and Rural

REPLIES:

ggamgus: Thanks, if you enjoyed the meal, then I hope you like this one too!

nedal2001: Thanks for you vote, and the compliment.

dubaidude303: Thank you!

Altec: Thank you too!

Jetty Jockey: Thanks for the comment.

Huston: Thanks, the reason it's mostly empty is because we are in a huge plain, so not many trees grow around the area.

grstudios: Thanks, I know I am still learning, but I appreciate your comment. And I agree, CP made some nice countryside houses.

Ah! The good ol' fashioned fresh air of the countryside. How nice, isn't it? Well, hope you are ready, because we are just arriving to our next destination. Last week, I asked you to vote in the comments secion the way we should take in the tour. The options were:

North: Wellington

East: Bayoutte

With a single vote from nedal2001, the choice was made. Today we visit the town of Bayoutte!

We near the town early in the morning, just as the sunlight starts to bath the landscape with color.

bayouttemorning.jpg

At first it looks like yet another farming community, but, let me tell you, Bayoutte is anything but a copy of La Saye.

Just across the bridge, we find ourselves, not more no less than with the town. Welcome to Bayoutte!

bayouttewbridge.jpg

Bayoutte was founded in 1844, by a group of ranchers from La Saye that, looking for new lands where to build their own community, reached found themselves in this area of the Grand Valley. Here they found a lush, green plain irrigated by a couple of small rivers and a few creeks. Knowing this was the ideal location for growing cattle, they settled and so the town was founded.

bayouttetown1.jpg

Bayoutte's Downtown and Town Hall are in-picture. With a population of more than 8000 inhabitants it's the capital of the Eagle Country, which occupies a large part of pristine mountain landscape some of the eastern part of the Grand Valley. More than 80% of the people in this Country live here.

bayouttetown2.jpg

Closing of the Town Hall.

bayouttetownhall.jpg

Bayoutte is a town that is famous all around Alpena, because of it's ranching tradition around it. But most people don't care about that, instead they concentrate on the product of said ranching tradition: cheese.

Bayoutte is the home of the most famous cheese brand in Alpena, Le Frômage. Often called the best cheese of the whole nation, Le Frômage has it's main factory here.

bayouttefactory.jpg

We take a short tour around the factory and have a look at the work inside the factory. We are even given a free sample of fresh cheese as we leave.

Tillamook_Cheese_Factory.jpg

We continue our journey. We cross another bridge just past the Cheese Factory.

bayouttesbridge.jpg

Here is located the regional power plant, that runs on natural gas, and also doubles as an incinerator.

bayouttepower.jpg

More ranches along the area show that even though Bayoutte has been growing substantially over the time, it still has a very rural feeling. Ahead you can see a few pictures of the countryside, including some with cows, horses and other livestock that graze in the lush grasslands of the region.

bayouttecountry1.jpg

bayouttecountry2.jpg

bayouttecountry3.jpg

bayouttecountry4.jpg

bayouttecountry5.jpg

Today we finish early our tour. Hope you enjoyed the ride, we will now go to Inn. Next time we will travel around the mountains and see some towns scattered around the rest of Eagle Country.

See you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

Blakeway: Oh sure you will.

ggamgus: Today is Saturday! Hope you are ready for La Saye.

k50: Thank you very much. :)

SimCoug: Yes, I am getting better at this, it's definitely because of the experience gain.

Sorry to wake you up at 3AM, but we have to get up very early to not get caught in heavy traffic while traveling to La Saye, the town we are visiting today.

Driving up the rural road to La Saye in the middle of the night, you can see a car now and then, but it's rare.

lasayeroads1.jpg

lasayeroads2.jpg

It's a two and half hour journey from Granite Creek before reaching this junction. To the north is La Saye, at just 15 minutes, while to the southeast is Storm City. We are going to take the north road as the sun rises.

lasayeroads3.jpg

You can take a look at the Ernst River, as we cross the bridge dividing the farmlands of La Saye with the rocky plains to the south that border the mountains.

lasayeroads4.jpg

The farms of La Saye are some of the biggest and most productive in the region. You can take a look at that tomato field, and that's one small example, as there are bigger farms.

lasayefarms1.jpg

We are finally here! Welcome to La Saye, folks!

lasayemain1.jpg

According to archives in the capital of Alpena, Queenstown, La Saye was founded in 1759 by immigrants from some unidentified Simmeuropean country. The people of La Saye were in favor of the Independence when the revolution started and remained loyal to the rebels until the very end, because of this, when Alpena was founded they were given the status of country (equivalent to a USA state). They retained that status until the boom in Storm City had them stripped down to one of the municipalities of the country of the lower Ernst, in 1922.

Still, La Saye is a bustling small town, and it shows on their small, but modern downtown.

lasayemain2.jpg

Modern houses with pools are located in the newer eastern neighborhood, this is the newest area in La Saye, and one of the richest.

lasayemain3.jpg

Now we keep going east, so you can see the farmland at it full.

lasayefarms2.jpg

Mmmh... this one looks familiar to me...

lasayefarms3.jpg

To the north, across another bridge is located the La Saye Gas Power Plant, it supplies the energy for the region.

lasayepower.jpg

Well, it seems that it's already dark again! Let's go the hotel.

A final shot of La Saye's downtown in the night.

lasayenight.jpg

This finishes off the tour on La Saye... but because we are at crossroads in the Grand Valley, because of the multiple destinations there are here, I will let you choose where to go.

Vote in the comments section for:

The north:
The agricultural town of Wellington and some trains.

The east:
The ranching town of Bayoutte and their nationwide-famous cheese.

Both options will in the end take us to the same place, but we can only take one alternative. The choice is yours, as for me, it's time to say goodbye, and wait for the next week.

See you next time!

Mithrik

La Saye Teaser

REPLIES:

SimCoug: Thanks, I also think that hiking Grey Dome sounds like a serious business.

TowerDude: Thanks you. :)

ggamgus: Thanks for the comment.

nedal2001: Thanks, I think it went better than I expected it to look.

Hey! Saturday is soon! That means that we are approaching to our visit to La Saye, but I want you to take a look at this little teaser from the nature around that town.

lasayeteaser.jpg

Enjoy and see you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

Jetty Jockey: Thanks for the compliment.

Juan Guajardo: Thanks for the comment.

ggamgus: Thanks, I also like the looks of CP's houses, that's a truly rural feel.

SimCoug: Thanks, but that's nothing compared to your mastery at rural areas. Those are quite an inspiration.

Hey! Wake up you lazy people! It's time to continue our tour, bring a sleeping bag and bug repellent. Because today we are making a field trip to the Granite Heights National Park, just north of the farmlands in Granite Creek.

We move out through the paved road that goes along the farms.

alongtheroad1.jpg

Just across the bridge is the National Park, so don't throw trash to the ground, place it in a bag instead until returning. Littering the ground in a National Park is a crime in Alpena after all.

gcthebridge.jpg

We keep moving on the road, but this is about to get bumpy, soon the asphalt will finish.

alongtheroad2.jpg

This part of the park is a prairie, you can occasionally see a hare or two along the tree line in this place, as well as a deer, but those are rare sightings in this area .

alongtheroad3.jpg

Do you remember the small marsh in the teaser realized 2 weeks ago? Well, you can have a second look now.

gcmarsh.jpg

And so, after 20 minutes of traveling along the dirt road, we arrived to the main camp. The road ends here, so we will have to walk the rest of the tour.

gccamp1.jpg

Most of the tourists like to stay here if they come in their own cars, but we are not in holiday season, so the only people you see at the moment came with the Park's Commuter Service, that picks up the campers in Granite Creek's train station and takes them here.

gccamp2.jpg

The trail going north is where we are going now. It travels by the Cottonwood trees up the main attraction of the park.

gctrail1.jpg

Almost there...

gctrail2.jpg

And... here we are! Welcome to the Grey Dome!

granitewall1.jpg

The Grey Dome is monolithic granite wall of 242 meters tall. It's a challenging hiking experience, because of it's lack of cracks. Few people dare to climb the White Dome without proper gear, and no one has ever been able to climb it bare-handed. It's imposing shadow can reach the main camp at times. The Grey Dome and it's surroundings make the central piece of the National Park, so you can't avoid visiting it.

A small camp is located atop this rock giant, the successful hikers that make it to the top usually rest here before climbing back down.

granitewall2.jpg

As the sun begins to set over the horizon, we return the main camp to settle and pass the night, a fellow hiker, that is also a photographer, showed us a picture he took after his first climb of the Grey Dome. You can see it below.

granitewallsunset.jpg

And with that we finish off with Granite Creek. Hope you enjoyed visiting the town and the surroundings. Next time we take the keys of a car and we drive up to La Saye, a bustling farming town, in the heart of the Grand Valley.

See you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES

SimCoug: Indeed, and that teaser could be said it's outdated, I further improved the area of Granite Creek in the last few days.

ggamgus: Thank you, hope you like it!

k50: Thanks for the comment, I always liked your CJ's, so I hope you also like mine.

Jacob Guajardo: Well, you can stop waiting now, it's here!

NOTE: There was an unexpected turn of events for me IRL, so I had to delay the entry for today. Don't worry, I will try and keep up the next updates in time.

Howdy! We are arriving to the town of Granite Creek, but since there is so much to see, the visit will be cut throughout two days. That's right folks, but let's get on to it.

Look! There is an orange tree orchard there!

granitecreektrain.jpg

Granite Creek is one of the main farming communities in the Grand Valley, with it's mere 1,200 inhabitants, it's a small town indeed, but that doesn't mean that this is no interesting place to see. There's plenty to see in the neighboring area.

Granite Creek was founded in the late 19th century, as a farming town half a mile away, a small creek provided with the water needed for the fields. Ever since founding, the town has been growing steadily. Being less than four hours from Storm City by train and six by car, the town boasts an economy centered at exporting the crops in the area there, mainly, though some other goods are distributed regionally.

gcreekdowntown.jpg

The train station and most of the commercial buildings are located in the center of the down, at great relief because the Inn where we are staying is just across the street.

Below you can see the houses of the city. Rural homes and cottages, with some modern homes dotting around. Most of the newer houses are owned as summer houses, as this town is also a popular touristic destination for the people of Storm City.

granitecreek1.jpg

Want to see the fields, I hear you say? Well, let's see them now!

granitecreek2.jpg

Hey there are some cows there!

granitecreek3.jpg

Those are lots of oranges and corn, don't you think?

granitecreek4.jpg

And here you have an overview of the whole town.

granitecreekoverview.jpg

Whoa... that was tiring. Look! It's already dark and we didn't notice!

Time goes fast when you are busy, let's return to the Inn.

granitecreeknight.jpg

Sleep nicely, because next time we go camping! We will visit the forests north of Granite Creek in the Granite Heights National Park.

See until next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

SimCoug: Thanks, it was a lot of work, especially the downtown, because it's 100% grown.

Don't forget that the next entry we are going to visit Granite Creek. And to keep you interested, I will give you a small teaser.

granitecreekteaser.jpg

There is also an announcement.

Since Real Life will now interfere with my updates because of school, I will change the weekly update day, from Friday to Saturday.

That's all for the moment. Stay tuned!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

SimCoug: Yes it is. And, that's only the start. We are not even in the main farming areas.

Mamaluigi945: Thank you for the compliment. :)

westy177: Thanks for your comment.

The ferry finally arrived, after an hour of waiting. So we embarked across the Ernst River.

ferry1.jpg

The Ernst River is as wide that in some parts it registers widths of 1kilometers in the wet season.

We arrive at the terminal on the other side, and this way we arrive to Storm City, our first stop in Alpena: Storm City.

ferry2.jpg

Storm City is a beautiful small city of more than 140,000 inhabitants. Built originally as a fishing town in the estuary of the Ernst River under the name of Stormhaven, the town boomed in the early 20th century as the Industrial Revolution hit the country, this boom led to a complete re-construction, and therefore it's original layout no longer exists. Anyways, soon the town grew from a few tens of families to over ten thousand inhabitants. Today, even though the machine is rusted, its still functioning at full capacity, and is still the commercial center of the lower Grand Valley.

As we move down the main road, you can see the old houses of the city, many of them built in the first half of the 20th century, back on it's glory days. You can also see one of the newer apartment complexes, built to house industrial workers, very few were constructed, as the migration from the north of the valley dwindled and they are quite recent compared to other residences.

suburbs1.jpg

A few minutes later, we arrive to the main road, it runs from one end of the city to the other and the oldest shop buildings are located here.

towncenter1.jpg

Not many of them remain though, some where bought and then demolished to build more modern structures.

towncenter2.jpg

A big contrast of architecture, modern buildings contrast with the older houses and mansions of the center of Storm City. You can even see an old classic car running through Main Avenue.

towncenter3.jpg

During the boom years some tenements were built in the downtown residential areas for the working class, today, many are still in use, almost none have been demolished, specially the oldest ones, that were given historic status along with the Victorian-style mansions scattered around the city. Even the newer ones are built in this opulent style, as per tradition.

We go south, and after travelling a good 20 minutes by car we arrive to what Storm City owes it's growth: the Industry.

industry1.jpg

industry2.jpg

The old smoke stacks of steel manufacturing plants and furnaces are still in very good condition, but recently most were replaced by cleaner and more efficient models. Above you can see one of the main assembly plants still active in the city. It's owned by Figaro Motors, Alpena's only car company. Figaro Motors has many more of these assembly plants scattered around the country's main cities, all are built in the same way, therefore, this one you see here, very well could be just as the one on another city where Figaro built a factory. They stopped constructing new assembly lines more than 50 years ago, mostly due to a slow, and painful financial crisis in the company, they sold factory after factory, but in the last years they have recovered, thanks to new investing and government support. They now plan on recovering all their buildings.

We return to the town, and you can observe one of the "newer" suburbs. Though most houses are well over 60 years old, you may be able to see new developments around, there is even a public pool, it really gets crowded in the summer.

suburbs2.jpg

And to seal this entry, a view of Storm City's main train station, we await so we can take one off to Granite Creek, a beautiful small town, famed worldwide because of what nature achieved in the mountains around it.

trainstation.jpg

See you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

SimCoug: Yes they are! A little diagonal help is always good for farm fields, it seems.

Welcome back to the tour around Simland. Last week we took the flight to Alpena, a beautiful country where the rural lifestyle still rages strong, even in the bigger cities. Let's take a look at the country's basic information.

General Information

Name:
United Federation of Alpena

Population:

Area:
1,936,478 square km.

Pop. Density:
14.51 Inhabitants / square km.

Capital City:
Queenstown

GDP:
159,918 Million $

Income per capita:
5877$ per inhabitant

Compared to Real World countries, Alpena's GDP would be the 57th, between New Zealand and Irak; while their Income per capita is the 92th, between Dominican Republic and Argelia.

But don't let those numbers make you think this is a poor country, Alpena's enormous territory has never been explored completely, and every now and then, something is accidentally discovered in the wildlands.

More than 90% of the the population concentrates on two huge valleys, the Grand Valley, and the Colton River Valley, on them a prosperous agriculture lives, while on the industrial cities are located in the coasts. These valleys are bordered by mountain ranges, the two most important are the Coastal Fire Range, composed of long inactive volcanos, and Great Northern Mountains, that go all the way through the country, from the north to the southeast.

The flag of Alpena represents the beauty of their nation, which is their greatest pride.

alpenaflag.png

While it's a simple flag, the three colors represent, from left to right, the fertile lands of the valleys, the cold mountain-tops of the Alpena's mountains, and their rich water resources, that wash through the valleys and into the expansive ocean.

Alpena is a relatively young nation, with 200 years of independence from it's mother country next year, 2013. It started as a colony from the Simmeuropean kingdom of Ingerland, it grew over the centuries of colonial occupation, until most the settlers claimed independence upon the oppressive rule of the Ingerish king. Since then, through a sucession of brilliant leaders, they made their way as one of the most important countries in the Simmerican continent.

But enough history lesson for the now, you see, we are landing right now on the East Storm Airport.

landingz.jpg

East Storm is a small town located along the east side of the Ernst River, near it's estuary. The Ernst River is the main waterway of the Grand Valley, it runs from north to south, and on it's estuary is the industrial port of Storm City, called like this, because of it's unpredictable weather.

eaststorm1.jpg

After your luggage was inspected and your passport, sealed, we took a car to the nearest ferry terminal to cross the river. We move along the main road, you can see an apple orchard and some houses, as well as the town's police station as we pass through.

eaststorm2.jpg

Looks like the ferry is not here yet, we will have to wait.

In the next entry we will take the ferry onto Storm City, so don't move from your chairs.

See you next time!

P.S.: Sorry for getting the entry late, I had a busy Friday and could not upload the entry. I will try and get the next one on Friday like I promised.

Mithrik

We are here, the plane is already in route to take us to our next destination...

You voted last week for the next place to go, and the results are going to be revealed now.

The choices were:

Alpena:
A country built in a rural American style of the early 20th century.

Triantia:
Continuing the tour around this tropical country into the mainland.

Leonia:
A full (but a bit lengthy) tour around this Simmeuropean country.

Votes are counted already, and you had already plenty of time to cast your decision. The winner of this poll, and next country to be visited will be...

ALPENA!

With an outstanding 63% of the votes, and an advantage of more than 35%, this country won with a crushing victory over the other destinations.

We are now going to it. So be prepared, but not before leaving a small teaser for all of you and letting you know that his is not the only time this will happen, there will be more polls to choose the countries to visit, later in the future we will even re-visit some of the first one to see the changes and places that were not covered back then.

Enjoy the picture. :D

alpenateaser.jpg

See you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

dubaidude303: Thanks for your comment.

SimCoug: Thanks for the comment, in most of the cities of Triantia you can see a few alleys like that one, but you have to search for them closely. ;)

This is a short update, but still an entry. And an important one, so please read.

As you may remember last week, we were about to take an airplane to leave the Triantian Islands. Since you are the ones that travel through Simland, and I am little more than a humble guide, I want to ask you a very important question:

WHAT PLACE WOULD YOU LIKE TO VISIT NEXT?

There are plenty of options, they are listed below:

• Alpena: Enjoy visiting this country, full of beautiful 19th and early 20th century-styled cities. This tour will take you through the Grand Valley of Alpena and the Queens River Delta, where you will visit lots of farming and industrial small towns.
  • Triantia: Continue visiting this tropical country as we lift off from Manzava Airport into the Mainland, as we go there, you will be able to see the Oil Rigs in the Triantian Sea, and then, at the mainland, visit the cities of Guasave, Antequera and others.
  • Leonia: This beautiful Eurosimmean country boasts a full fledged travel from the coastal industrial cities, through the Jermê River Valley, where it's oldest, and newest, and biggest cities are found to the mountain towns of the western country, finishing with a visit to it's big capital city: León.

You want to continue in the tropical paradise of Triantia? Or you want to take a glimpse at Alpena? How about visiting the old Leonia?

The choice is yours: Vote in the poll, the winning option will be our next part of the tour. The results will be announced in the next entry.

That's it. See you next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

SimCoug: Thanks for the comment. I already have those, I seem to have an aversion to use them. I may try for the next time, okay? ;)

Schulmanator: Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate all the comments.

ggamgus: Thank you for stopping by too! As I said in my last entry, I rushed it, so I didn't quick notice the presence of the grid until I took all the pictures.

james2016: Thanks for your comment. I had to work out my way with those rocks to get the ones I wanted. I appreaciate you like it.

MamaLuigi945: Thank you very much. I always try to get the Maxis buildings to shine, as they have potential if handled adequately.

We leave Palmé Island in the morning. And now we are in our way the northern resort town of Manzava.

Manzava is a relatively small town, with a barely over 11,000 inhabitants. But it has a very high importance in the Triantian Islands as a resort town, and is located in the second biggest of them.

Much like Palmé Sur, the city boasts a beautiful beach, and because of it's size, it also has a higher amount of public services, allowing for better quality with regards to tourism.

We arrive with another ferry behind us, that one came all the way from the mainland, that is, an incredible 10 hour journey, while ours took just three. I tell you in advance we are behind schedule, so we may have to cut some part of the tour around the town.

manzavaarrival.jpg

The charm in Manzava relies on its pristine waters, the main beaches locate around the northern part of a bay, which means that the sea is calm and perfect to dive into the blue water of the Triantian Sea.

This kind of waters led the local government to open a yatch club, the only one in the province.

yachtclub.jpg

As with many of the cities in Triantia, Manzava has a very old downtown. Some buildings dating back a few centuries old.

manzavacenter.jpg

Manzava is proud of having it's very own church, it's of the about the same epoch as the Catalia Cathedral, and its smaller size doesn't bother the locals, as the temple is home of it's own diocese. Some even think it's more beautiful than Catalia's.

manzavacenter2.jpg

Even though the downtown is old and the city gets a lot of money from the tourism, this doesn't mean that everything in Manzava looks pretty, proof of this is the dirt alley you can see in the next picture, it was supposed to be paved and be a pedestrian street, but the mayor scrapped the project due to financial troubles.

manzavacenter3.jpg

Everyone in this neighborhood suspect that it wasn't that but political corruption, because it seems that a recent investigation turned out result indicating that the money of the project vanished just after the mayor canceled it, but no one has declared anything on the matter.

Well, our schedule is getting very tight, I fear we will have to cancel the visit to the beach. I feel sorry for that, but don't worry there are still some things to see.

We stop to eat a Japanese food restaurant, it's a recent building, as it was opened just last year.

manzavasuburb.jpg

Real Estate sales in Manzava led the town to double it's area in just the last 20 years, as investors from Catalia and the mainland increase. The empty piece of land by in the picture above was bought by a Real Estate company, and soon the construction of it's new office will start.

We now move through the outside of Manzava, where the crop fields that supply fresh produce to the city are located. Below you can see a wheat field. Wheat is grown in the traditional way over most of the Manzava Island, but the recent increase in demand led some farmers to change from local varieties, to the new GM commercial types, that have a higher yield.

manzavafields.jpg

The wheat in the above field is of the commercial types. Enviromentalists protest about this. They say that this is just the start of the eradication in the crop varieties that are endemic of this island, and oppose the mayor's iniciative of replacing traditional wheat in the fields around Manzava for GM species. There are even rumors of arson in some of the wheat farms that already changed it's product, but nothing is confirmed up to now.

We arrive now to the Manzava Airport. Construction finished 2 years ago, and ever since Manzava boasts a bigger investment from the Mainland, as well as the ferries over-crowding has decreased, there are already plans of expanding by building another hangar, too.

Oh look, our plane is there, we are just in time.

manzavaairport.jpg

We will leave Manzava soon, if you wish, you can buy something in the stalls outside the Airport to eat before the trip, we leave in about an hour, and remember that you cannot bring food or water inside the plane.

And with this entry we close the Triantian islands visit. Maybe we will return sometime soon, but I certainly don't know.

See you until next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

westy177: Thank you, I appreciate your comment. That's the style I want to get for my cities.

MamaLuigi945: I know that it may not look good compared to the rest of the city, but I really need to use Maxis housing to provide with som income for my cities. Someone has to do it if those lots don't want to pay their taxes accordingly. :P Plus, I don't find Maxis building, you must be smart to make the lots look realistic, that's all.

SimCoug: After looking at so many downtowns in Mexico's colonial cities, like Zacatecas and Guanajuato, I think someone learns a bit of how to make nice cities with that style.

ImmaRafidin: Thank you very much for that, I am still working my way in the difficult world of working with MMPs, that you like how it looks is a good sign to me. :)

NOTE: Sorry if you see some bad detailing or images with grid, I had to rush the entry and did not tweak some areas, as I had a very busy week.

Today we are going to Palmé Island, located to the east of Catalia, Palmé Island is just a about an hour by ferry.

The island has two settlements, Palmé, and Palmé Sur, both towns share the territory of this small piece of land, though Palmé has the ferry station and also is the main town of the two.

We arrive by noon to Palmé Ferry Station. The station is the only way to reach the island, as there are no private docks, or landing strips, so it's common to see while in the passenger zone all kinds of people, from beggars, to families on vacation, to businessmen.

ferryarrival.jpg

Today the ferry is luckly not crowded, and it comes with about half capacity.

By the ferry station, lies a small beach, none of the locals visit it though, and the few tourists that visit this island are not recommended to, because that beach is a protected turtle nesting zone since 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the place is poorly placed, as there have been cases of sea turtles being killed by the ferries when they are near the station, something that has is used by enviromentalists as an excuse to protest the closing of that station and place it elsewhere.

palmbeach.jpg

Anyways, we go up the main road of Palmé. The town used to be bigger, and the only town in this island, unfortunately, a fire destroyed most of it's historic buildings 125 years ago, as it burned half of the city, before a storm formed and went into the island, extinguishing the devastating disaster and saving Palmé.

palmfirestation.jpg

The Palmé Fire Station was built in the 100 years anniversary by the national government to conmemorate that fire.

Even though that fire destroyed many buildings, today, the ones that remain are all in a beautiful state, the ones that run through Avenida del Olmo, one of the main roads, are the best conservated.

palmcenter.jpg

Since Palmé is the bigger town of the the island, it also has the luck of having a clinic (top left corner) and a Primary School (Top Right corner).

Now, our visit on this town must be swift, so we must depart to reach the other town of the island, Palmé Sur. When going on the road, you can see one of the few farms here in Palmé, and a very special one, as it is a Agave plantation.

palmagave.jpg

Afterwards, we travel through the crowded road into our next stop, Palmé Sur.

palmsurroad.jpg

Palmé Sur was constructed by some of the people of Palmé after the big fire of 125 years ago, they traveled to the south of the island, and established by the seaside, ever since, it has been the actual resort of the island, as most of the tourists that visit the island go to it's natural beaches, there are even some estates on a hill overlooking the town, where the rich businessmen of Catalia go to spend there time in the summer, when they don't want to go far from their homes.

palmsurmansions.jpg

As the afternoon passes, the tour around the island is coming to an end, but not before we see the chapel in the center of the town. It was constructed when a priest from Palmé's destroyed church arrived to the settlement, not wishing to leave the island, and seeing the need to have a church here, he sent a petition to the Bishop of Catalia, proposing the construction of a chapel in Palmé Sur, he accepted and so it was built.

palmsurcenter.jpg

We end up the tour around the island of Palmé here, in the main beach of this town, enjoy the sunset, and return before the night to hotel.

palmsursunset.jpg

Our next stop on the tour will be no more, no less than the town of Manzava, in the northeastern tip of the Triantia's islands.

See you until next time!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

westy177: Thanks for stopping by!

Good Morning! I hope you have comfy shoes and a water bottle, because we willl have to walk a lot, if you want to see the whole of our first stop in the tour of Triantia.

Anyways... I welcome you to Catalia, the biggest city in the Huacayuxte province, which is formed by all the islands that are located around the coast of the mainland. Catalia, of course is located in one, and it's the biggest too.

General Information:

Name: Catalia

Population: 290,317

Province: Huacayuxte

Mayor: Guillermo Sánchez

Other Info: Important commercial port and industrial city. Provincial Capital of Huacayuxte.

It's early in the morning, but already some cars can be seen in the streets of Catalia, as some people go to work before the sun rises.

cataliadawn.jpg

The sun comes up into the sky and so the students from all over the city have to go to to their schools. Below, you can see a middle school in a new suburb of the city.

cataliamiddleschool.jpg

And talking of suburbs, these areas of the city started to develop around the 50's of the past century, when the industrial boom hit Triantia. Soon, a very solid middle class started to grow on the country.

The middle class of Triantia is around the 40% of the population, but in some cities of this country they make up the bulk of the population, so is the case of Catalia.

cataliasuburb.jpg

Being an industrial city, Catalia has come to be a rich city, and also does the population, still, not everyone can get the good things of this economic boom, the three buildings in the center of above picture are low-wealth apartment buildings, where immigrants and people from the countryside take home. Quite a contrast, because almost in front of those apartments, you can see some mansions of the richest men in the city.

Before turning our attention to the real attraction of the city, the downtown of Catalia, we travel by the Avenida del Mar, to take a quick look at the beaches of the city.

cataliacoast.jpg

All over Triantia, the beaches of the country have Enviromental Conservation Area status, and therefore, nothing can be build 40 meters or less from the seashore, without government permission. That's the main reason of why many of the countries beaches still have a pristine look, the Triantians are very proud of their beaches too, and if you dare to throw trash into the sea or in the beaches and a policeman sees you, he can fine for potential enviromental damage.

We now go to the downtown. This area of the city boasts an interesting arquitecture, like you can see below.

cataliacenter2.jpg

In this area you can see the Mercado Central on the top-left corner, there you will be able to find everything, from local fruits and vegetables, to craftsmanship and clothes.

In the lower zone you also see a smaller, more recent market, it was placed by some farmers, because the Mercado Central was so clogged, that they could no longer get a space where to place their stalls.

cataliacenter1.png

A close up to another area of the downtown, in the center of the picture, you can see a special building, it was the first school of the city, built almost 250 years ago, the building was the office of some important businessman, but stayed abandoned for about half of its time since constructed, until the local government, decided to place there the first public school of Catalia in the early 20th century.

The sun now settles on the horizon, but before we take you back to your hotels, you should visit the most important place of the city, and it's most beautiful structure... lets take a short visit to Catalia's cathedral and the Main Square.

cataliaplaza.jpg

While small compared to other cathedrals, Catalia's has a very unique detail in it, classic of the Barroque style. It's over 300 years old but still it looks as beaufitul as when the first mass was made inside its walls. By the west side, on the other side of the street, some modern offices can be seen built among the older structures. The new century brought many changes, but the downtown has been largely unaffected, because of new heritage protocols that started to be used in recent years.

I hope you liked Catalia, tomorrow we will take ferry again, as we will travel east, to Palmé Island.

Cheers!

Mithrik

REPLIES:

Mamaluigi945: Thank you very much! I'm happy you liked the dusk shot.

SimCoug: Thank you for the comment. I know I forgot of the grid, but it slip out because the islands and the ferry station are not on the same city tile.

Hello!

As you noticed, this is a special entry of my city journal. I am not going to show much pictures here this time.

I will tell you here, in a short way how I am developing the different SimLand countries that will be visited in the future.

The beggining

I always liked working on custom regions, and specially if they weren't from a recognizable world area. I tried some time ago playing on a hand-made region, but in the end I didn't like much the resulting terrains, and I wiped it out.

As my skills in detailing increased I started to diversify my styles by creating different types of cities, and after some time, I started to tie those creation together, as a result I created the basis of what would be SimLand.

The first in these series of countries was my beloved fictional country, Leonia. of which you will know later as the CJ progresses, then I started to go on wih other countries as my tastes for making other kinds of cities changed, one month I wanted to creat European-styled cities, another one, American-styled suburban sprawls, then a week I made planned cities, etc.

By the time I posted the Triantia teaser, I already had 4 countries ready to be shown to the world here.

Plugins

I always try to play with a max of 1.1GB of plugins, so the game can load in less than 2 minutes in my laptop. And it's been a constant since I made my first organization of plugins. And if you think that's a lot, it actually is not, as most of what is used in-game occupies less then 300- 400MB of the total, most of the the files that make the bulk are my " Essentials" folder, which contains all what I need to run almost all my plugins, including those that are not being used, which means that the those 700+ MB of occupies space in the Essentials folder contains the NAM, SAM, RHW, NWM, and almost all the the BSC dependencies, plus a few other ones, like CSX dependencies and some LBT ones.

Of course that is not all, I also have included there the Maxis plugins and the important fixes, and in most cases, I also have the SPAM included, though not in all of the countries I made it's used.

And I will admit that it seems to me like a humongous thing 1.1GB of plugins, even though less than half is acutally something I use in-game, and the rest are dependencies.

The entries

This one is really short.

I plan on realising the CJ entries on a weekly basis, each Friday, sometimes I may even make one or two in-between the other. Teasers and special entries like this one don't have have to follow the standard basis of the normal entries, so they could come up at anytime, though.

To conclude

I hope this explain a little of how I am working on SimLand. There is still a lot of be seen, as I still don't show you the first city of Triantia, let alone the other countries. My photoshop skills are improving still but I managed to make some lovely pictures already (the Teaser and the past entry's dusk shot are examples), and all in all. I hope you can keep looking into my entries, I will put effort into making this CJ something that the community can like.

Cheers to everyone, but before, a teaser of Catalia...

cataliateaser.jpg