• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The classic CJ turns a new page and comes to a new place!

Entries in this City Journal

woodb3kmaster

Today's update is a little more, shall we say, utilitarian than usual (okay, you can stop groaning at that pun now). I've shown Nyhaven and Kendall's transportation infrastructure here plenty of times, but until a couple of months ago, I had neglected the even-more-important electric infrastructure. After all, without a constant supply of electricity, what would power the metro area's economy? (Okay, I'll stop punning now. :P)

marshland01.jpg

I recently finished working on my first modular nuclear power plant, the Marshland Nuclear Generating Station. While most of Lower Columbia's old uranium-fueled nuclear plants have been decommissioned or converted to thorium-fueled reactors, this beast of a power plant is still active, just upriver from Nyhaven International Airport.

marshland02.jpg

Here's another view of the plant, showing some of the high-voltage wires carrying its gigawatts of power to the whole region. I recently replaced the wired pylons I originally used with these larger, wireless ones; this change allowed me to increase the spacing between them to something more realistic, while the invisible transmission lots I added keep the lines functional. The only catch is the lack of true FA3 pylons; I've substituted the turn pylons to simulate them, since they're at roughly the same angles.

marshland03.jpg

Some of the power lines running from this plant follow the railroad west past the town of Marshland (which, as you might imagine, is the plant's namesake). The town rail station was greatly expanded when the nearby industrial park was built. Marshland sits at the edge of the metro area (for now).

region_160508.jpg

But it isn't the edge of the region anymore! The Marshland quad used to be in the southeast corner of the region, but thanks to my painstaking efforts, the Nyhaven region is now twice its former size - 99 large quads instead of 49 (or roughly 44x36 km vs. 28x28 km). In fact, the first two pictures above wouldn't even have been possible before I expanded the region, since they cross the border into two of the new quads. Now I can build Kendall's suburbs as far out as I want - and as you can see, I've already done a lot of work on them. In all, the region is now home to 3.3 million people, thanks in part to those new suburbs.

What's with that big black box labeled "SECRET", you ask? Well, you'll find out before long. Suffice it to say, though, that it will be no flight of fancy... ;)

woodb3kmaster

Well, prop pox struck Kendall again, and there was nothing I could do to reverse its effects. Rather than limit myself to taking pictures of unaffected parts of the city, though, I decided I had to start over.

Rebuilding a city as developed as Kendall - with over 500,000 residents and most of the map developed - was a daunting task, to say the least. I was committed to recreating the city as accurately as I could, so I needed a guide to the old version of the city. Thankfully, SC4 Savegame Explorer has a feature that displays a map of all the lots, buildings, or props in a quad (depending on which subfile you open), so mapping out all of Kendall's lots and transport networks was fairly easy. The hard part was labeling almost all of them, so I knew what to plop where. I also needed to make an accurate subway map, so I referred to the in-game traffic volume data view quite a bit. My final map ended up looking like this:

kendall_map_full.jpg

By following this map, I was able to rebuild Kendall exactly as it was. But rather than slavishly recreate every detail, I took this opportunity to make a few improvements to the city. One of those improvements was rebuilding all of the R-3/50 freeway as a RHW (it used to be an overridden Maxis highway). Here are a couple pictures of how that effort turned out:

kendallnew01.jpg

This is the freeway's interchange with Pacifica and Nicholasia Avenues. Based on fan comments, I decided to rebuild this interchange in a trench to minimize the freeway's elevation changes. The new version also keeps the longer offramps grade-separated all the way to their ends, which should improve traffic flow.

kendallnew02.jpg

Further down the R-3/50, I built these overpasses. I ended up having to learn about the RULs the NAM is built on in order to fix a bug that affected the avenue overpass, which led to me becoming a full NAM Team member.

kendallnew03.jpg

I also made a couple new lots to replace temporary layouts. Here's the new Arts Plaza, at the intersection of Puget and Nicholasia Avenues.

kendallnew04.jpg

For the most part, though, I just wanted to get as much of Kendall to look as it once did as I could. I'm pretty satisfied with the results; the new Kendall is as vibrant and busy as the old one was.

kendallnew05.jpg

My efforts even match up across quad borders, as this mosaic shows.

I made some improvements to the campus of Royal University, Kendall, as well. The flagship campus of Lower Columbia's federal university system, RUK was founded by King Edward as the Royal College in 1733. This legacy as a former college lives on in the names of College Street (which ends at the campus administration building) and the College Park neighborhood.

kendallnew06.jpg

This is an overview of the whole campus and its surrounding area, facing west. The oldest part of campus is in the middle, with the residential annex at bottom, and several of the university's newer buildings near the top, along with some of the fraternity houses of College Park. The football stadium's parking lot is also partly visible at left. Farther down the mosaic, College Street crosses the channel into the Federal Circle business district.

kendallnew07.jpg

The western half of campus is home to Mikaelslot, one of the university's largest pre-20th-century buildings. Originally built by King Michael I as an alternative to Kendall Palace, Mikaelslot and its grounds were gifted to Royal University by Michael's successor, Brandon I. Although the former palace was quickly used for classes and office space, the palace grounds were neglected until the 1950s, when the university needed to add new facilities. Most of Royal University's science and engineering classes now take place in the buildings that were built on the grounds.

kendallnew08.jpg

The east end of campus is where most of the dormitories are located. This is another area that wasn't originally part of Royal U's campus; it was purchased from the city around 1960, when the student population outgrew the old dorms.

kendallnew09.jpg

Finally, although Lower Columbia is an overwhelmingly Christian nation, it also has a growing population of Muslim immigrants. They recently built the Malkut al-Hijra Mosque on the edge of the Kendall Heights, east of Parliament House. Its construction was controversial, due to its size and prominent position overlooking the city center. It's here to stay, though.

woodb3kmaster

For those of you who weren't aware, Nyhaven and Kendall are part of the same metropolitan area. In fact, they're the two largest cities in the metro area. The following animation shows my progress in building and merging the two cities over time (up to about a week ago):

nyhaven_anim_160130.gif

I've done even more work on the metro area since the date of the last region view here, but Photoshop refuses to export an updated GIF (probably due to a memory shortage or summat). EDIT: After shrinking the image and reducing the animation length, Photoshop finally exported a new GIF. I've edited it into the space above. However, you can see some of my latest work in the Kendall thread.

At this point, even the two subway systems have merged, creating a 20-line monster that's so big, it would be a nightmare to try to name each line the way I'd been naming them. Hence my decision to replace the names with letters and numbers, as the latest subway map shows:

nyktamap_160130.gif

My latest work on Kendall was almost lost due to the city contracting prop pox. Thankfully, after doing a great deal of reading on prop pox's causes and preventive measures, I was able to continue from a recent, pox-free backup, and my preventive measures have kept the pox from reappearing. Here's some of that work, which includes my efforts to merge Kendall and Nyhaven into a single metro area.

kendallsb24.jpg

The Lords of Parliament, Lower Columbia's two heads of government, now have a residence and office that suits them. The leaders of Parliament's two chambers live and work in separate wings of Columbia House, shown here. This executive mansion is right across Upper Columbia Avenue from Parliament House itself.

kendallsb25.jpg

Based on earlier comments, I've worked on reducing building repetition around Federal Circle. I've also begun expanding the business district that surrounds the circle, so it hasn't completely filled in yet.

kendallsb26.jpg

I also acted on comments regarding the proximity of the seaport to central Kendall and completely rebuilt the area. Now, housing projects rise where cranes and stacks of containers once stood. I also rebuilt Edmonds Junction, the rail junction connecting Kendall's Library Terminal to the port and points beyond, to take advantage of the new FlexTrack features in NAM 34.

kendallsb27.jpg

The rebuilt Port Brunsmjöd now sits on its own island, with many more berths for ships and greatly improved rail and highway access. Pacifica State Highway 32 (visible in the top-right corner) runs through the port areas next to the port's rail line.

kendallsb28.jpg

PC-32 begins at this rebuilt interchange with the R-50, where the latter highway turns south into central Kendall. Due to this interchange's proximity to another one, the R-50 widens to 10 lanes here.

kendallsb29.jpg

That other interchange is where the R-250 ends. This freeway gives Kendall access to Nyhaven International Airport and runs through a number of new suburbs. The R-50, meanwhile, continues east into midtown Nyhaven.

kendallsb30.jpg

The largest of those new suburbs is Clifton Mesa, a massive planned community near the formerly-small village of Clifton. Huge earth-moving operations leveled the hills that once stood here to collect land reclamation material for Port Brunsmjöd in the 1960s, and city planners took the opportunity to build a suburb that would serve both Nyhaven and Kendall. Clifton Mesa is home to one of the metro area's largest shopping malls, and is where several subway lines from both cities intersect.

woodb3kmaster

Today's update title says it all: I have four images for you, three of various freeway interchanges, and one of a local park. Each of today's interchanges was made possible (or at least easier to build) by NAM 33's new features, especially the improved and expanded FLEXFly repertoire.

nam33im01.jpg

This picture shows the R-50/R-150 corridor, from Cathlamet to the suburbs east of Midtown. As part of the efforts to extend the R-150 to the north, it has been separated from the R-50 mainline. The interchange between the two highways has also been redesigned to eliminate left-hand exits from the R-50, while still allowing traffic to flow in every direction. Now, the R-150 serves as a sort of "express lane" option to the busy R-50, with no exits of its own to surface streets (although a new interchange at 24th Street, near the top of the image, is under discussion).

uwantgardens01.jpg

This is Cool Hollow Park, right next to part the northernmost part of the above interchange. The observant among you will notice that I've redesigned the R-50/150 split a bit; technical constraints forced me to adjust the split's layout to avoid an impossible situation (i.e. three networks on the same cell).

nam33im02.jpg

Thanks to some of the new features in this NAM version, I was finally able to finish the R-3/R-50 interchange in midtown Nyhaven. Unfortunately, technical limitations prevent me from running 16th Street right under the flyovers, so I've had to improvise to keep traffic flowing.

nam33im03.jpg

Further north on the R-3, we come to the new northern terminus of the R-150. Drivers approaching from the south (top of this picture) can now choose whether to exit the freeway at Yule Avenue or continue onto the southbound R-150. I had to do quite a bit more demolition than I wanted to in the neighborhood surrounding the interchange, but such is the nature of trial-and-error construction.

woodb3kmaster

After an extended hiatus, I'm proud to bring you a selection of photos from Kendall, Nyhaven's nearest major city and the capital of the Federal Kingdom of Lower Columbia. Today, I have four massive mosaics to show you, spanning most of the built-up area of Kendall. Each of them crosses at least one city border and shows areas I've never shown before, so get ready to see more of Kendall than you ever have!

kendallmos01.jpgThis first mosaic, facing east, runs from Parliament House and the Royal Library at the top, past Kendall Palace and the embassies, to the inner suburbs west of the Government Quarter. Fitzsimmons Square the the two residential squares I featured earlier are also visible.

kendallmos02.jpg

Facing south now, we start near Federal Circle, the de facto central business district of Kendall, and follow the transverse arm of the Royal Promenade from the Royal Cathedral to the Palace of Justice. After passing by Justice Park, we come to Port Brunsmjöd, the regional container port, and the marina at the Brunsmjöd village.

kendallmos03.jpg

This north-facing mosaic starts up by the northern embassy district and shows parts of all three embassy neighborhoods, as well as most of the Kendall Palace grounds. Across Gnat Creek, we come to the campus of Royal University, Kendall - the flagship campus of its system. At the bottom is the university's Dukes Stadium and the neighboring University Village.

kendallmos04.jpg

Our last mosaic for today faces west, and it's the longest one I've ever made - so long, in fact, that Photoshop had to shrink it to export it. Starting in some of Kendall's interwar suburbs on the south bank of Gnat Creek, we pass through the western half of Royal University's campus. After visiting the southern embassy district again, we reach the Royal Cathedral before moving on to South Station. Parliament House is just off-screen as we climb the hill that many residents call Flattop, which is home to the capital's largest affordable housing projects. At bottom is the R-50 freeway and its complex interchange with Pacifica and Willamette Avenues.

woodb3kmaster

ep05banner.jpg

After much too long, it's time for a new episode of Nyhaven! Today, we're looking at some of the city's newer suburbs. All of the areas we're going to visit today are on the islands in the middle of the Columbia River, to the west and south of downtown Nyhaven.

ep05im01.jpg

We begin our tour on Welch Island, which is home to one of Nyhaven's country clubs. Development on this island has been slow, due to it not having very good transportation links with the rest of the metropolitan area. Welch Island is still waiting to get service on the MetroRail...

ep05im02.jpg

Just across the slough, on Tenasillahe island, this little neighborhood is tucked between the slough and the island's creeks.

ep05im03.jpg

Farther to the south and west, we come to the southern outskirts of the city of Barrington. The R-50 crosses the island here on its way between Nyhaven and Kendall, with an interchange serving the suburbs just east of its bridge over the river.

ep05im04.jpg

Puget Island, however, is the largest island in the metro area. We visited it a couple of updates ago when we saw the athletics park. These suburbs are to the northeast of that park, though still on the same island. Near the top is the R-250, which forms a bypass of midtown Nyhaven for Kendall motorists heading to and from the airport. Towards the bottom is the R-150, which connects the airport to Nyhaven and its eastern suburbs.

ep05im05.jpg

Those two freeways meet at this interchange, and the R-250 widens to accommodate the extra airport-bound travelers at this point. This area is very popular with residents because of its excellent transportation options; in addition to the two freeways, three different MetroRail lines cross the island in this area.

ep05im06.jpg

Of course, it doesn't hurt that there are lots of shopping destinations around here, too. Petersen Crossing is the largest mall in the metro area, and it is conveniently close to the R-250, as well as the Loup Avenue station on the MetroRail's Saint Mark's Line.

ep05im07.jpg

The suburbs aren't all houses and shopping centers, though. Parks like this one make them all the more livable, and on a nice summer day, residents are grateful for these amenities.

woodb3kmaster

ep04banner.jpg

To start Nyhaven's time as the cultural capital of the Alliance of Independent Nations, I'm dedicating a whole episode to the city's many ethnic neighborhoods. This isn't the first time I've done this - I first did it seven years ago, at the start of the Nyhaven 2.0 era - but it's only fitting to start the festivities with a celebration of the many cultures that have found a home in Nyhaven. I've already shown you two neighborhoods - Chinatown and Okatown - in previous episodes, but today, we're going on a tour of 13 more.

ep04im01.jpg

We begin our tour at Saint Mark's Square, the epicenter of Nyhaven's Mediterranean immigrant communities. Just north of the square is Greektown, with its Orthodox church and... did you hear that? It sounded like thunder. I hope everyone brought their umbrellas, because it looks like it's about to rain.

ep04im02.jpg

Sure enough, it's raining as our tour reaches New Cattala. The city's Cattalian population has called this area between the square and the University of Nyhaven home since the first immigrants arrived in the 1870s, after Italy invaded and annexed Cattala. Unemployment was high in Cattala at the time, so the prospects of work in Lower Columbia drew many Cattalians across the ocean.

ep04im03.jpg

Of course, times weren't good in mainland Italy either, so many Italians also immigrated to Lower Columbia. Those who came to Nyhaven settled down just a few blocks from New Cattala, closer to the Elochoman Slough. Tensions between the neighboring ethnic groups were high for many decades, and gang violence claimed many lives in both districts in the early 20th century. Fortunately, those tensions have subsided in the ensuing years.

ep04im04.jpg

The storm seems to be passing as we reach the Croisian Quarter, or Rive Croisienne as the locals call it. People have been migrating from Sainte-Croix to Lower Columbia since the country's first settlers arrived in the Northwest in the 1560s, but a new wave of Croisian immigrants established this little community on the embankment in the early 1900s.

ep04im05.jpg

As we reach Little Soviyya to the north of Hunters Island, the sun is just starting to break through the clouds. One of the three communities of Slavic immigrants near Burgess Square, this neighborhood lies just south of the square and west of the R-3 freeway.

ep04im06.jpg

On the other side of the square is New Moscow, with its ornate Russian Orthodox church.

ep04im07.jpg

A few blocks north of Yule Avenue, we come to Hiigara Town. The various crises and conflicts that have engulfed the Hiigaran United Confederacy and its member states over the years sent many Hiigarans in search of safer homes. Those who came to Nyhaven settled here, around Lower Columbia's only Kran'et temple.

ep04im08.jpg

Crossing onto Hunters Island, we come to Little Tokyo. Like most immigrants from East Asia, the Japanese chose to settle on Hunters Island, specifically, just south of East Center Street. Many of the business executives who work in the neighboring towers come here when they want a little taste of home.

ep04im09.jpg

Further south, close to midtown, is Nakamatown, where Nyhaven's Nakamese population is centered.

ep04im10.jpg

As we approach the southern tip of Hunters Island, we reach Koreatown. Located close to Cathlamet and the local campus of Royal University, Koreatown has become popular with both students and boaters.

ep04im11.jpg

Returning to the mainland across from uptown Nyhaven, we come to Spanish Town. Our tour is almost at its end...

ep04im12.jpg

Finally, we visit two neighboring ethnic districts. To the west is New Casablanca, which is home to Nyhaven's largest mosque, as well as most of its Moroccan-born residents. To the east, meanwhile, is Little Ascadylea, on the other side of Hazel Avenue.

woodb3kmaster

After doing a bit more work on the station area and the new business district to the east, I think I'm finally happy with how everything's arranged (aside from RCI zones, which are as fickle as ever). Here's an updated picture of the station:

centralstation01.jpg

The only real change I made is turning the one-way roads on either side of the station into ramps into an underground parking garage, taxi rank, and bus stop. The land that the OWRs previously occupied is now home to a pair of short pedestrian malls; removing the extra OWR intersections behind the station allowed me to add the lane reduction I wanted on Station Street as it approaches Royal Street.

centralstation02.jpg

The area east of Central Station is now home to another business district along East Center Street. Most of these skyscrapers are newer as a result of urban renewal in the 1970s and '80s. They also have improved highway access, now that the R-3 has new ramps connecting to Center Street (along with an added connection to Nybro Street).

centralstation03.jpg

The previous view of the East Center Street District faced west, toward Royal Square. This view faces east, with the university at the top.

centralstation04.jpg

Here's an updated view of Royal Square at night, with the updated station and its surroundings.

centralstation05.jpg

To put the redesigned station and new business district into context, here's a wider shot of downtown Nyhaven, facing north. Royal Square is roughly centered; the major business districts visible here are (clockwise from top) the Financial District, the East Center Street Corridor, the Market Street Corridor, and the West Center Street Corridor. Also visible at top are Old Town (north of the opera house), with its more chaotic streets and the Western Cross Church; and the Kilterby neighborhood, with its angled grid, north of East Center Street. We'll take a closer look at each of these two neighborhoods in due time...

nyh3bg-night-competition.jpg

Finally, here's a closer view of Royal Square at night. Click on it to view (and download, if you like) a full-size version that can be used as a 1920x1080 desktop background.

Please excuse the game grid that's visible in some of the above pictures. I was having trouble with an anti-malware tool that prevented me from turning the grid off when I took those pictures.

woodb3kmaster

ep03banner.jpg

When I came to Nyhaven to play soccer, I had heard about the city's athletic facilities.

ep03im01.jpg

There was ColumbiAir Arena, one of the easiest venues to get to, due to its location in midtown and having its own subway station. As the new rookie in town, I got the chance to ask some of the Huskies basketball players what they thought of their home court. "I've never played anywhere like it," one of them told me. "The atmosphere during games is simply electric, and the neighborhood really adds to the arena's appeal with locals. It's easy to head over to Ebenezer Square after a game for a night on the town, so the stands are always packed."

ep03im02.jpg

The three venues at Sporthaven weren't as close to the excitement of central Nyhaven, but they still made for great places to play and watch games. Walking along the waterfront gave me unparalleled views of the skyline!

ep03im03.jpg

What really knocked my socks off, however, was the place where I would train and play for the Nyhaven Cruisers - at Puget Island Athletic Park. It was enormous, and with such good transportation connections, I could practically live anywhere in the metro area and be just minutes from work. No wonder the city chose this park as its Simlympic park back in 1980!

ep03im04.jpg

The park's Melkovitch Center for Athletic Development was full of young, up-and-coming athletes like me, so it made the perfect place to train. With three different venues, each with a different focus, I could get a full workout in one place.

ep03im05.jpg

Right across the street from there was Crown Insurance Park, where I would play all my home games as a midfielder for the Cruisers. The stadium had just reopened after a massive reconstruction program, and it had all the best amenities.

ep03im06.jpg

With my interest in playing for Lower Columbia's national soccer team, though, I couldn't help but visit Jean Le Conte Simlympic Stadium, where the kingdom's greatest athletes had won so many medals all those years ago.

ep03im07.jpg

I ended up renting an apartment in the park's former Olympic Village, which had been opened to the public as low-cost housing after the Games. It was close to work, and with a station on Saint Mark's Line close by, I could hop on a train and be anywhere I wanted to be in Nyhaven in just minutes.

ep03im08.jpg

When I came to Nyhaven, I was skeptical that it was what people claimed it was - the sports capital of Lower Columbia. They couldn't be more right!

woodb3kmaster

ep02banner.jpg

Time for a bigger update than usual! Today, we're taking a tour of Hunters Island (simply called "the Island" by locals), which is home to Nyhaven's main business districts. We'll take a look at two of them, as well as several other points of interest.

ep02im01.jpg

As we start our tour near the north end of the island, here's the Center Street Corridor, home to some of Nyhaven's older skyscrapers, as well as some of its newest. Center Street originally ran straight across Hunters Island, but it was gradually shortened to its current terminus at Church Street when the two largest buildings on Royal Square - Nyhaven Central Station and the opera house - were built in the 19th century. However, it's still an important thoroughfare in the city due to its bridge over the Columbia River, which many commuters from Nyhaven's western suburbs use to get to work.

ep02im02.jpg

This cross-section of the island shows more of downtown Nyhaven (which Center Street is part of), including Royal Square. Market Street is also visible, heading south (right in this image) from the square, with skyscrapers flanking it. More skyscrapers are clustered north of Central Station, around Nybro Street, so named because of the bridge that carries it across Elochoman Slough (the street's name is Danish for "new bridge" - and it was new when it was built in the 1640s). Along the downtown waterfront, meanwhile, stands the International Center, a large hotel and conference center, along with the Wahkiakum County Civic Center.

ep02im03.jpg

Our tour now brings us to Midtown, which has a number of cultural sites in addition to its many office towers. The Nyhaven Central Library is one of those sites. Situated at the intersection of Market Street and Eighth Street, this imposing building is the city's largest research library, housing millions of volumes on its shelves. Its large lawn is as popular a reading spot as its enormous reading hall, and is a welcome green space in the middle of the city.

ep02im04.jpg

Just a block away, and close to the north end of Ebenezer Square, is Okatown, another of Nyhaven's many ethnic neighborhoods. Home to thousands of immigrants from Okatabawashi and their descendants, it hosts a popular street market on Second Avenue. Its pagoda, which is both a temple and a museum of Okataian history, is close to the famous Palais Theatre, at the edge of the Midtown Theater District.

ep02im05.jpg

Further south on Market Street is the Cathedral of Our Lady of Nyhaven. Built in the Neo-Gothic style in the 1890s, it is the center of the city's Catholic community.

ep02im06.jpg

Nyhaven's convention center is located in uptown, next to Nyhaven South Station. The current, two-wing convention center opened very recently, having replaced an older building on the same site. Many of the events that take place here are media-related, due to the many television broadcasters and movie studios whose headquarters are just west of the convention center.

ep02im07.jpg

Our tour now takes us onto the mainland, to downtown Cathlamet. Originally a Native American fishing village, Cathlamet is one of Nyhaven's oldest suburbs, though it doesn't feel very suburban due to its density and proximity to the island. The oldest part of town is centered on Gammeltorv, the square pictured here, which becomes very busy in the Christmas season. Its marina is a popular place for Nyhaven's wealthy to moor their yachts, although many of the city's less affluent residents also keep boats here.

It has come to my attention that not all of my readers are aware that I reply to their comments in a comment of my own. If you've commented on a past entry in Nyhaven and want to see what I wrote in response, feel free to look back at those earlier entries.

woodb3kmaster

Today's update isn't as glamorous or spectacular as the last one (then again, that university is a tough act to follow). However, even though the areas it features are more mundane than the university, they're still important parts of the city. Let's dive in, shall we?

ff05im01.jpg

Like the previous version, Nyhaven 3.0 has a variety of ethnic neighborhoods, owing to the city's status as Lower Columbia's greatest engine of prosperity. Chinatown is just one of those neighborhoods. Located along 24th Street, it's served by the Ebenezer Line of the Nyhaven MetroRail, which gives it excellent access to the major employment centers in Midtown and near the Convention Center.

ff05im02.jpg

Historically, however, most of Chinatown's residents took the ferry at the end of 24th Street to their jobs across the river. Ferries are still a popular way to get across the mighty Columbia in Nyhaven, despite the increasing number of bridges and tunnels crossing the river.

ff05im03.jpg

Those ferries take their passengers here, to the Port of Nyhaven. Although it's smaller than it used to be (you might remember that Sporthaven, which we looked at last month, was built on an abandoned part of the port), it still serves all cargo ships heading upriver, since the big container ships draw too much water to sail farther inland (the river isn't deep enough for them). In addition, many of the city's factories are still located near the port, making the port area an employment center that rivals downtown Nyhaven in size.

woodb3kmaster

If you've been following Nyhaven in the CJ forum, then you've already seen part of Nyhaven's main university, which I was still working on when I resurrected this CJ. Well, it's now finished, so here's a look at the complete campus!

Building the University of Nyhaven was a challenge, because the campus crosses a quad border; half of it is in my Nyhaven Central quad, and half is next door, in Nyhaven East. While building in Nyhaven Central, I had to carefully map where all the buildings were, as well as where paths crossed the border, and then make all the necessary connections in Nyhaven East, making sure to put the right buildings on the other side of the border. As a result, each of the pictures below is a cross-border mosaic and required careful image-editing to get exactly right. If I've done my job right, though, you won't even notice the border. Let's find out, shall we?

uninyh01.jpg

The east side of campus contains the university's medical center and football stadium, as well as its largest dorm complex. Just a block north of campus is Papillon Manor, where Nyhaven's mayor lives.

uninyh02.jpg

An overview of the north side of campus.

uninyh03.jpg

This mosaic should put the university into context. Midtown Nyhaven and Ebenezer Square are at the top, with the R-3 double-deck freeway skirting the east side of Hunters Island. Towards the center, across Elochoman Slough, is the university's south side. Finally, the inner suburb of Eastfields is at bottom, tucked into a bend in the Elochoman River.

uninyh04.jpg

Last but not least, here's a overview of (almost) the entire campus.

Zoning in these images is still being developed and should not be taken as a final product.

woodb3kmaster

It may be winter in the Northern Hemisphere right now, but springtime is just around the corner...

springtime01.jpg

Soon, people will be out in the parks, enjoying the blossoming flowers and the warmer weather.

springtime02.jpg

They'll also start fishing in the Elochoman River again, especially those who live just over the levees from it.

springtime03.jpg

If winter weather has you down, cheer up - spring is coming!

springtime04.jpg

(Scenery/zoning in these images is still being developed and is in no way to be taken as a final product.)

woodb3kmaster

Today's mini-update focuses on the Sporthaven complex of stadiums. First, here's an overview of the complex:

sport01.jpg

Sporthaven was built in the late 1970s on what used to be part of the Port of Nyhaven, as well as some adjacent industrial blocks. After the shipping industry switched from break-bulk to containers, Port Brunsmjöd was built just north of Kendall, downriver from Nyhaven. As a result, shipping traffic at the Port of Nyhaven suffered a massive decline, as the only ships to keep using it were barges on the Columbia River coming from ports further inland. The port abandoned much of its waterfront, which the city then bought and redeveloped into Sporthaven.

sport02.jpg

Three of Nyhaven's five professional sports teams play their home games at venues in Sporthaven: the Regals (baseball, at Rittenberg Field, top), the Thunderbirds (American football, at Buechner Stadium, center), and the Killer Whales (ice hockey, at Kungsbank Arena, bottom). All three venues are on Buechner Avenue, named for car manufacturer Buechner Limited (whose main factory is across the street from the stadium that bears its name).

sport03.jpg

Nyhaven's cruise ship terminal is also located at Sporthaven, across from Rittenberg Field and Parking Structure 4. The ships that dock here tour both the Columbia River and the Pacific coast.

woodb3kmaster

It's time for another present-day look at Nyhaven's metro area! Today, we're examining the second-largest city in the metro area, Kendall, which is also the capital of the Federal Kingdom of Lower Columbia. In particular, we'll be focusing on the city's Government Quarter, which is centered on the Royal Promenade, a large park shaped like the cross on Lower Columbia's flag:

lcflag_wavy.jpg

Major public buildings anchor each of the Promenade's four ends, while a circle of 16 Lower Columbian flags sits at its center - one flag for each of the kingdom's states. Let's begin our tour, shall we?

ff02im01.jpg

First off, here's a look at the royal palace and its gardens. Kendall Palace is the royal family's official residence and where they spend most of their time during the year. The vehicles of the royal motorcade are stored and matinatined in the garage at left, which the King, his family members, and their handlers can discreetly access from the gardens. The second-floor balcony in the middle of the palace's façade is a popular place for His Majesty to address the public, who gather in the square in front of the palace (and sometimes spill across Palace Street into the Royal Promenade) to see and hear him. Parts of the offices of the Ministries of Finance (left) and Foreign Relations (right) are also visible.

ff02im02.jpg

This close-up shows the palace garage with its driveways onto Palace Street. Also visible are parts of the Ministries of Transportation (left) and Finance (bottom), as well as the pond in front of one of the larger foreign embassies in Kendall.

ff02im03.jpg

Parts of the Royal Promenade's northern arm and centerpiece are visible here. The imposing edifice in the top-right corner houses the main headquarters of Lower Columbia's Ministry of Defense, making it the command center of one of the AIN's most advanced and effective fighting forces. Situated across Defense Parade and the Promenade from it are the main offices of the Ministry of Home Affairs, just visible at bottom. Also visible here are the Ministry of Health (at top) and the National Cenotaph (bottom left). The latter was originally dedicated to the fallen heroes of the Columbia War, but it has since taken on a wider role as a monument to all of Lower Columbia's soldiers who gave the ultimate sacrifice for King and country.

ff02im04.jpg

Dashing across the center of the Promenade, we come to its southern arm. There are few ministry offices here, with the notable exception of the Ministry of Religion's offices (bottom left, cut off) and those of the Royal Marshalls (top right). Instead, the most prominent buildings on this part of the Promenade are Saint Catherine's Palace (home of the crown prince, who inherits the title of Prince of Saint Catherine) and two cultural edifices: the Museum of Faith (top center) and the King David III Playhouse.

ff02im05.jpg

Finally, we come to the eastern end of the Promenade, which is dominated by Parliament House and the adjoining parliamentary offices. As befits the capital's main rail station, Kendall Union Station is just a block from Parliament House and right across the street from one of the Federal Assembly's office buildings (the Federal Assembly is the lower house of Parliament). Also visible at top is the Columbia Museum, which houses exhibits on Lower Columbia's natural beauty.

woodb3kmaster

Well, after a much longer-than-intended break, Nyhaven is back! Today, I bring you a flash-forward to the present day with a look at Nyhaven International Airport (IATA: NHN, ICAO: KLNH).

Nyhaven International Airport serves all of Nyhaven's metropolitan area, which also includes Kendall, the capital of Lower Columbia. Here's a Zoom 1 mosaic of the finished airport (clickable for the full-size version):

nhnairport00sm.jpg

The central terminal turnaround, as well as two hangars for Lower Columbian government planes:

nhnairport01.jpg

The main concourse for Terminal 1 is home to all of ColumbiAir's gates:

nhnairport02.jpg

Terminal 1 also has two satellite concourses, accessed by an underground train. Concourse C, at left, is for European and African airlines, while Concourse B (at right) is for Asian and Oceanic airlines:

nhnairport03.jpg

Terminal 2 serves the airlines of the Americas and Veratlantic countries. Pier C is for widebody aircraft:

nhnairport04.jpg

...while Piers A and B serve smaller planes:

nhnairport05.jpg

There's also a small terminal for business jets:

nhnairport06.jpg

West of the terminals is long-term parking, with train and shuttle service into the terminal area:

nhnairport07.jpg

More flash-forward updates are coming, as well as a continuation of the main historical story. Please rate up and comment if you liked this entry! Thanks for visiting!

woodb3kmaster

ep01banner.jpg

September 1, 1580

"Land ho!"

I could scarcely believe mine ears. After many days at sea, our long journey eastward was finally nearing its end! It had been weeks since we departed the shores of Shushtrepistaz, and months since our party had left Odense. Now, at last, our destination was before us!

ep01im01.jpg

After entering the mouth of the great river, we sailed until we came upon an island which looked promising. The captain gave the order to bring all the people and animals ashore. This task being completed, we held an assembly and agreed to call our new home Nyhavn, for it was our aim to build a harbour here. The captain then turned to me and said, "Bror Henrik, thou art to take men with thee and spy out this land into which we are come. Seek thou out the natives of the country and note their villages, and find thou streams whence we may get fresh water."

ep01im02.jpg

Once I had chosen men to accompany me, we set out across the island. After journeying some distance through the forest, we found a great stone, which we noted before moving on.

ep01im03.jpg

Further on, we arrived at the shore of the island and spied an Indian village across the water. We crossed over to it and tried to speak with the people therein. After much difficulty, we learned that they called the place Cathlamet, and that there were other villages like their own in the country.

ep01im04.jpg

A path led northward from the village across a creek. Following it, we rose many feet above the water which we had previously crossed. Therefore, we named this path the High Road.

ep01im05.jpg

The High Road ended at a river some miles north of Cathlamet. We therefore hauled our boat into the river and sailed upstream. The water was calm and slow-moving at first, for the land was exceedingly flat.

ep01im06.jpg

However, at length we sailed into a gorge. The hills to either side of us were lofty, and the current slowed our progress.

ep01im07.jpg

The gorge was short, though, and before too long, we entered a broad valley. We eventually arrived at another Indian village, and after another difficult conversation, we learned that it was called Elochoman. We therefore called the river and the valley by the same name.

ep01im08.jpg

We turned around and sailed back down the Elochoman River, eventually returning to the water which separated our island from the mainland. It seemed fitting to us to then name this water Elochoman Slough, and we continued northward along it until we returned to Nyhavn.

ep01im09.jpg

The following day, we set out again, this time to the north, for we desired to climb a great mountain which was visible in that direction. After much climbing, we reached the mountain's summit, which afforded us spectacular views of the land and the river.

ep01im10.jpg

Seeing an Indian village to the west, near the great river, we descended the mountain in its direction. When we came unto the village, we endeavoured to speak to the people therein, who told us that they called their village Skamokawa. Having brought with us goods this time, we traded with them, receiving cooked fishes to carry back to Nyhavn. Upon our return thither, we partook of these fishes and found them to be of excellent taste. We then thanked the Lord for His great providence and joined the others in setting up our new home.

woodb3kmaster

Thanks for the encouragement, folks!

tease4.jpg

Today's preview is about Ebenezer Square, the heart of Nyhaven's Midtown district. Ebenezer Square is home to many of Nyhaven's theaters and nightclubs, and it has gratuitous advertisements. This is the northern half of the square, between 10th and 12th Streets.

tease5.jpg

Ebenezer Square gets its name from this large stone, which itself is simply called "The Ebenezer" (from the Hebrew for "stone of help"). It has stood here since before Nyhaven was founded and is the reason the square exists at all - Ebenezer Avenue has to split to go around it, resulting in a one-way couplet on the square's long sides. Since the mid-18th century, each Mayor of Nyhaven has had the Ebenezer engraved with his favorite inspirational biblical passage at the end of his mayorship as a gift to the city.

tease6.jpg

There's also plenty of shopping to be done here. Ebenezer Square is home to the flagship of Lower Columbia's other major department store, Visby's, as well as a large urban mall and Nyhaven's largest Toys 'R' Us. (This picture shows the southern half of the square, between 12th and 14th Streets.)

tease7.jpg

At night, Ebenezer Square comes alive. People pack the theaters, and the clubs stay open until the wee hours of the morning.

woodb3kmaster

Welcome to Nyhaven 3.0!

Some of you may be familiar with Nyhaven from the CJ forum, where it's been for the past 5+ years. For most of that time (except at the very beginning), I've shown you pictures of Nyhaven 2.0. While that version of Nyhaven is still playable, it's gotten difficult to squeeze in new construction projects. In addition, I want to try building Nyhaven from its historical beginnings in what could best be called a modified form of natural growth. However, since I'm still waiting to receive one last mod before I begin working on the historic Nyhaven, I thought I'd give all of you a preview of what the modern city will look like. So, without further introduction, here's the first look at Nyhaven 3.0!

tease1.jpg

This first part of the new Nyhaven is Royal Square, the city's civic and transportation heart. Nyhaven Central Station (at the top) is right on the square, as are Old City Hall, the King Brandon II Royal Opera House, and the flagship department store of retailer Maison Blanc. Click on this picture to view it in full resolution (you can also use it as a desktop wallpaper if your screen resolution is 1920x1080).

tease2.jpg

Turning around to face the opera house, I can't help but admire the great job that xannepan did on this BAT's nightlighting.

tease3.jpg

Hmm, today seems to be a less busy day than I thought. Anyway, here's a wider day view to give a bit of context to the square.