Siilijoki

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

My attempts to combine the best SC4 custom content in novel and aesthetic ways with special emphesis on transportation elements

Entries in this City Journal

noahclem

Hi everyone! It's been a very long time since I've updated here. In part that's because my region Siilijoki has been inactive for almost a year while I've been focusing on a group region called the NORO Cooperative over at SC4D. And in part it's for the same reasons so many others decide not to maintain journals over multiple sites. While I've never considered Siilijoki "retired" it essentially was until a nomination for OSITM over there last month arm-twisted me into action.

I don't want to get into details to the point that it gets boring but to summarize:

1) I've started from scratch on an enlarged version of the same region (thanks to drunkapple)

2) Plugins have been redone from scratch (though I did borrow pretty heavily from my old Siilijoki plugins and from the NORO ones)

3) Copies of its region and plugins files are hosted online and the plugin-building has been collaborated with Swordmaster. Collaborative play is a possibility in the future.

4) During marathon play to be able to put on a week of featured content I could be really proud of I built a pretty significant amount of area for me (my playing style is very slow and detailed). Unfortunately I may have to start over due to some hurried modding that could cause problems down the road, but with the terrain saved the bridges, waterways, and transit networks will be easy to rebuild and those are the most time-consuming things anyway.

5) The new Siilijoki will maintain most of the style of the old.

Most recently I've been working on snowy scenes. It ended up taking me a lot more time than I expected after I decided the snowy terrain mod didn't properly fit my new snowy rock mod. Turns out terrain modding is a lot more work than rocks & beaches & such. Anyway, hope you like what I've been up to :)

mountainwhitesnow.jpg

Trying to capture the feel of midwinter's noon in Lapland

snowpurple.jpg

Tigers looking for a reindeer snack

snownightmountaingimp.jpg

I love snow in the twilight--which is probably good considering I live on the Arctic Circle :D

snowmountaintwilight.jpg

Without trees and in a mountainous area you can get a better idea of the textures of the terrain. Other than the my rocks in the steepest areas the textures are based off of the Antarctic Terrain Mod on the STEX

newsnow.jpg

Thanks for looking!

whitesnow.jpg

noahclem

Welcome to Siilijoki!

The name is pronounced (SEE-LEE-YO-KEE) and is Finnish for "Hedgehog River". I've been working on this region for just over two years and Siilijoki has been an active Mayor's Diary at SC4D for just under a year and a half.

Today's introduction is a compilation of some of my favorite pictures from Siilijoki and I've tried to include a variety of the styles of cities and pictures I enjoy creating. They are arranged in roughly chronological order, beginning with the most recent.

I'll go into much more detail regarding my city and my story going forward but for now I'd like to let the pictures do the talking :golly:

Keskustanight.jpg

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

lostrail2.jpg

z62a.jpg

deer.jpg

beach5.jpg

railjcttrain.jpg

npcnight_1.jpg

bridge.jpg

z3slope.jpg

junctionplane.jpg

z4-1.jpg

z5border.jpg

6CB.jpg

z_nam30pic.jpg

dayfar.jpg

13nc2gimp.jpg

h1m.jpg

h2m.jpg

Cathedral2.jpg

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed the introduction!! Please let me know what you think, what you want to see more (or less ;) ) of, and anything you're curious about!

Until next time :D

volume5_md.pngURGENT! We need your help!

We urgently need your help to meet our September goal!

Please consider a donation today.

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation goes to help us keep the site running free.

Enjoy the site!

OK - See STEX Collections