Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A twist on history.

Entries in this City Journal

The Prodigy

Welcome to Wallace. This is the my starting point of setting in heavy industry into mostly agrarian region (though the actual starting points are in Boscov and Dundee). Wallace is the depot for all garbage coming from Coventry and later Dundee and its metro area. Wallace is actually just the sliver of land between the two creeks it dumps it's industrial waste into. This town is grungy, working class and environmentally unsafe, but provides for it's grunts and is highly productive in the nuclear up-keep sector.

blogentry-192002-0-32876400-1344323204_t

Wallace produces much of Novoe Russkaya's current power demand from the Ernst Nuclear Power Station and from the neighboring Flat-top Wind farms. The Ernst Power Station has been an environmental disaster throughout it's tumultuous history with Wallace and the neighboring areas. The Ernst Power Station is an renovated and costly maintained former Soviet Union nuclear power station. While the station has not fell into such disastrous disrepair as it's Russian counterparts, the plant's location and future are uncertain. At the time, few in Novoe Russkaya knew of the dangers of large scale nuclear material could have on a populated area, so when it was realized that if Mt. Tahoma ever erupts, the city of Dundee, Cedar River and Boscov would all be exposed to the full forced of a radioactive flood due to the plant's position at the headwaters of the great lahar valley. The wind project has been especially expensive as the windmills on the flat-tops and in the eastern territories over the mountains have become the number option to the Ernst power station or reverting to using American coal again, which most Longhouse citizens are reluctant to do.

blogentry-192002-0-01123300-1344323202_t

The Prodigy

So Dundee is not finished, but it has a traffic layout that I'm proud of and would like to brag about if you'll indulge me. To start off with, this is an interesting intersection of two avenues, one crossing under Godfrey Hill on its way to jump onto the interstate. The other travelling beneath the avenue on its way to downtown, travelling between Godfrey Hill and Stuart to the left. While this was a bit of an artsy move for the most part, I think (having NAM is the sole reason for my success) the intersection looks smart to start with, but having dedicated roads is something I don't see many other players doing in their cities. I must say, having NAM's ability to put one over another has completely changed the way I want to the play the game, I feel like intersections are such redundant things. Anyway, hope this inspires somebody out there.

blogentry-192002-0-85145300-1344322626_t

This is the neighborhood of Pimlico located to the southeast of the city, it has an appealing road system I think. I was inspired by my many getting lost in Seattle experiences and I think the terracing, while in real life would be ungodly expensive give the ridge a nice traffic diverting confusion. If I had more room I would have liked to put a more direct route down the center, but alas, all I could fit without disrupting the traffic flow was a way in, the way out being to head for the avenue at the top of the picture and heading around.

blogentry-192002-0-90884400-1344322629_t

The Prodigy

Dixon is pretty straight forward, it's the rough boundary between the extent of Dundee's reach and the suburban super-low density communities behind Dixon that no one cares about but are important in packaging sims in a given area over long distances. The highway network and neighboring light rail line give the city a fighting chance in getting at the job overload in Dundee to the north. The city was (or is I should say) a pain the arse to make, very laborious and repetitive, but I guess there will be plenty where that came from.

blogentry-192002-0-05095600-1344322314_t

The Prodigy

This is my starting point in expanding over Novoe Russkaya and building an image of how the region would look. Coventry is a college town. It is loosely based off of WSU's layout in Pullman, except the people of Coventry have dedicated transit options.

blogentry-192002-0-85471800-1344321821_t

Coventry is surrounded by agriculture and is one of the few large settlements outside of the major city-scape. This kind of layout was a god-send considering how slow the game can travel when one needs just a sprinkle of industry and a seemingly endless amount of agriculture. Thank Isis for Peg's SPAM products.

blogentry-192002-0-00701000-1344321830_t

The Prodigy

Novoe Russkaya

Novoe Russkaya is both the birth place of the Longhouse Free State, the Capitol region and most developed region of the nation. The map is actually Skippydam's Seattle map laid over his Tacoma map, which I must say makes a for a tits map. The region is split up into twelve visible counties. This is my blueprint of how I plan to develop this region. It also gives an idea of where everything is. I've cut out some old information, the names have changed a little since I last posted, the capitol of Novoe Russkaya is now Elizabeth, the capitol of the Longhouse Nation is Victoria on Vancouver Island north of Novoe Russkaya in British Columbia.

blogentry-192002-0-87834200-1344324731_t

-Dark Blue=Dense Commercial/Commercial Center -Light Blue=Retail Center

-Dark Green=Forest, the lightest shade of green being low density res, with increasing density at you move closer to the blue or center of the city.

-Pink=Dense Res. -Light Pink=Mansions

-Yellow=Dirty/Manufacturing -Orange/Yellow=Hi Tech

-Red=Highways -Black=Avenues -Brown=Rail -Purple=Alternate Transit

The Prodigy

The Longhouse Free State is a conglomeration of former Russian and British colonies that mixed with the local indigeonous populous, creating a truly unique nation on the continent.

blogentry-192002-0-00049600-1334378894_t

-In the 1690s, Russian colonists arrived in the new world, founding Boscov (on the location of Tacoma). Their initial success at logging the dense forests, fishing and trading with the local S'Puyalupubsh (Puyallup) tribes was met with crushing failure when more and more colonists arrived, depleting the resources to the point that the colonists turned to the tribes for help. They revolted against Russia, who was favoring colonization of Alaska. The Russians and S'Puyalupubsh formed the Longhouse Confederacy.

blogentry-192002-0-47642500-1334380885_t

-The Russians attacked British Columbia in search of guns to trade and provisions to sustain their dwindling resources. The British easily repulsed the starving Russians and sailed from Vancouver south. They landed across the narrows and founded Fort Concord (on the location of Gig Harbor). The British sent a messenger ship back to England for military support. The crown refused, citing the exorbitant cost and minute gains. The Russians offset their losses by negotiating for the Duwamish and Samamish tribes to join the LC (Longhouse Confederacy).

-With the tables turned, the British retreated in haste, leaving behind numerous arms and provisions which included two artillery pieces. The Russians captured a small sloop and immediately sailed with the Duwamish war canoes north. Upon arrival, the natives persuaded the Russians to offer peace with the British and request their entry into the Confederacy. Seeing their chances shrink with every cannon fire and their rejection of aid from the crown, the British reluctantly joined. With the addition of more indigenous tribes into the LC, the confederation formally declared independence and sent messengers to New Spain to seek legitimacy. Seeing a chance to weaken British power, the Spanish and French recognized the newly formed Longhouse Free State.

blogentry-192002-0-57978600-1334380881_t

blogentry-192002-0-89880600-1334378909_t

-The British, having been defeated by the United States only a few years prior gave assistance to the Russians who tried in vain to take back their colony. However their party landed on the west coast, not in the Puget Sound. Their immediate trespassing and killing of Quinault natives led them to join the LFS and push against the Russians until were surrounded, their ships captured and their arms taken. Russia acknowledged their independence in 1786. With this action, the LFS began a massive diplomatic campaign, negotiating arms (which were now being produced in Boscov) for entry into the Longhouse.

-A century later, the LFS went head to head against the US as the US began hostilities in the Mexican-American War. Just before the US overran Mexico City, the Mexicans brought the LFS into the war. With their significantly better indigenous relations, the LFS made pacts with the mighty Sioux, Apache, Comanche, and resisting Mexicans of Alta California. With the sudden heated guerilla warfare engulfing the western half of the continent and the cost in entailed, the LFS forced the US to let Texas, Alta California and the midland native tribes to form independent nations.

-After involvement in WWI and WWII, the LFS and US relations improved considerably

[Let me know what you think and/or if you want some more facts, I cut the end short since I wasn’t intending on posting a small novel.]

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0