• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A delightful romp through not entirely accurate history.

Entries in this City Journal

astronelson

Hooked on Classics

In which we become a wonderful people.

Welcome back. When we last left off we had discovered that we were playing on a Pangea map against Korea, Germany, and Japan. The Great Library was underway, and we had resolved to start expanding our military. We had also expanded our empire a little, founding the second city of "Exchange".

2012051700001p.jpg

Hi, Stockholm! Don't mind me, I'm just going exploring.

2012051700002.jpg

We're at zero happiness right now, and Simtropolis will be growing next turn. Looks like we'll be unhappy for a while. So, the next order of business over here is getting those gems hooked up. That'll give us a bit of a production boost too, from the mine, along with the 60 production from chopping down the forest.

2012051700003.jpg

Yep. We've gone into negative happiness. However, we've got ourselves a policy to choose! More production is always good, so let's make ourselves into the Republic of Polynesia.

2012051700004.jpg

I know that ship can't do anything, but bombarding it is far too fun to pass up. Bye bye!

2012051700005.jpg

Ooh, more barbarians. Such a pity the experience gained from killing them caps out at 30. Ah well, at least I get gold for raiding their camps.

2012051700006.jpg

Ta da! One free tech and a free library. Let's grab Philosophy.

The thing about Philosophy is that it's not an Ancient Era tech. Which means...

2012051700007.jpg

"Proud is the spirit of Zeus-fostered kings - their honor comes from Zeus, and Zeus, god of counsel, loves them."

Pretty classy. We're ahead of the other Civs, era-wise, and probably out-teching them by now too. The Classical Era unlocks the Piety policy tree, but I don't think I'll be going for that. I'll just fill out some more of Liberty next time a policy choice comes up.

I also finished The Wheel, which is pretty cool. I can now build roads between my cities and gain a little gold from those (minus road upkeep. Probably not worth it at this stage).

2012051700008.jpg

Hmm. That's not good. Better kill them off before they do any damage.

2012051700009g.jpg

Oops. Now that wasn't supposed to happen.

I killed the one on the hill, then moved back down on the next turn. The barbarians came out of the camp to finish me off. I haven't seen that happen very often.

2012051700010.jpg

Huzzah, another military unit! Of course, now I don't have any melee units with which to take cities, so our conquest of Korea will have to wait a little more. While it's on hold, I think it's prime time we started another city! There's a nice spot behind the minimap next to a river, some horses, and some bananas. Plus it allows me to neatly cut across the thin point of the continent. With a few border expansions, no-one's getting through without my say-so, unless they sail around.

2012051700011.jpg

And here's my uber-archer, the one which used to be a scout. He's circumnavigated the world now. The only thing that irritates me a little is the fact that eventually he's going to have to upgrade to a melee unit and lose all his ranged promotions.

2012051700012.jpg

Ah. I think we're going to need more men if we want to remove Korea from the game. Well, should be a bit easier now that we have three cities. More production means I can get more men out faster!

2012051700013.jpg

Oh? I thought I had gotten rid of this camp at one point (offscreen, with an archer). Guess it just respawned in the same spot. Still, I'm not particularly happy with the fact it's there. Looks like I'm going to give one of my archers some more experience!

2012051700014.jpg

And there's our third city. Since the city is pretty much smack-bang on the equator of this world, we've named it Tropico. And that's not just because I couldn't think of another ST-related word off the top of my head.

2012051700015.jpg

Turn 150! Thanks for the heads-up, Pliny! Looks like I've definitely got my work cut out for me if I'm to have enough military might to even defend myself properly.

The Republic of Polynesia, Turn 150 (2000 BC)

2012051700016.jpg

Expanding outwards and pumping out some guys. We'll be rolling across the Korean fields in no time.

The state of the world, Turn 150 (2000 BC)

2012051700017.jpg

And the demographic state of the world. We're the leaders in a few good fields. We're also not as far behind in military as I thought - just 6,000 behind Japan, the world's leader. Perhaps our low score on the list was because we have a primarily archer army. That'll change soon enough.

astronelson

The Next 50 Turns

The Next 50 Turns

In which we explore and expand a little.

Welcome back to another 50 turns of Civilization V. We're playing as Polynesia, and right now are trying to meet the other two civilizations on our map. We're either playing on a continents map or Pangaea map. We'll discover which it is in this set of turns.

So, just a few turns after loading up again we're greeted by this fellow:

2012041400001.jpg

Aww, how nice of you to say that! I'll kill you last.

So, two down, one to go. We've got Korea and Japan, what are the odds the last one will be China? We're still looking around with our scout when we run across another ancient ruin! I hope it's a good one this time.

2012041400004.jpg

But before we can find out, we discover the last civilization on the map!

It's not China (the odds were 21:1, by the way).

2012041400005.jpg

Hello, Bismark. You didn't praise me enough. I'll take you over before Japan. So, Korea, Japan, and Germany, and me as Polynesia.

Back to the ruins. Let's find out what we get, hmm? Oh, there's where the Germans were. Hah, no goodies for you!

2012041400006y.jpg

Woohoo! Military upgrade on the scout. Not quite as good as a free tech, but it does mean I can keep the awesome terrain-cost-ignoring properties of a scout while being able to upgrade the unit properly. If all goes well I could end up with a mechanized infantry that can go everywhere at maximum speed.

I'd like an upgrade paths for scout in Gods and Kings. It doesn't seem likely though. Right now they just sit around and be more or less useless for a while once you discover everything you need to. Usually I stick them in a city if I decide to take the Honor policy tree at some point. Otherwise, just sell them off. An attack power of 4 is next to useless against anything other than a wounded warrior or archer.

Also, we finished writing. Let's see if we can't get the Great Library built.

2012041400007r.jpg

I always go for the Great Library. Being ahead in science helps you lead in everything else.

And soon after we discover Writing, we can choose another policy.

2012041400008.jpg

It was either going to be Collective Rule or the other one that gives me a worker. I'm going to want a second city soon if I wish to remain competitive, and making it easier to train settlers in the capital is going to help a lot with expansion, so Collective Rule it is. I can get a worker later. And expansion is something we're going to want to do. The game before this I tried to play with one city only. I got out-teched fast and it all went downhill from there.

Anyway, where to put a city... this looks nice, next to a river and some dyes. Rivers are always good. You get one gold per tile next to one, and once you research civil service every farm tile next to a river gives you an extra food. It also allows you to build the waterwheel and, later on, the hydroelectric dam, which are both good to have.

2012041400010.jpg

Guys, we're not calling any of our cities Honolulu. Hmm... what goes well with "Simtropolis"...

2012041400011.jpg

Ahh, much better.

2012041400012.jpg

Not so good. We're a tech behind everyone else. I'm not particularly worried at this moment though, we should be able to catch up quite easily. Everyone else might have just filled out the first row of techs (Pottery, Animal Husbandry, Archery, and Mining) while we went for one a little higher up (Writing). Everyone starts with Agriculture, which accounts for the fifth.

2012041400013.jpg

Bismarck, you know what I said about killing you before Japan? I take it back. You're a cool guy. You can be the last one I kill. Hey, I might even go for a different victory so you stay alive at the end.

2012041400014.jpg

We're not going to produce a worker anytime soon. May as well shell out the cash and get one now so we can improve the tiles around us a bit. Especially those horses. We may need those if we're to take Korea anytime soon.

2012041400015.jpg

Found Berlin.

2012041400016.jpg

Found Kyoto.

That's the second set of 50 turns.

The Polynesian Empire, Turn 100 (2500 BC)

2012041400017.jpg

It's so small and pretty.

The state of the world, Turn 100 (2500 BC)

2012041400018.jpg

We're going to need more soldiers if we're to take Korea. Expanding our forces is going to have to wait until next time, though. First things first, finishing up the Great Library. See you next time!

astronelson

Starting off.

Starting off.

In which a Civilization is founded.

Well, here we are, the first of what I hope is many commentated playthroughs of Civilization V. We've got no plan. We don't even have a clue about who we're going to get, what the map's going to be like, or how many other civs are going to be in it. All we know is it's going to be on Prince difficulty and Marathon speed.

2012040900001.jpg

So, all we need to do now is click "Start Game" and begin. And who do we get...

2012040900002.jpg

Kamehameha! I've never played as him before, so this ought to be interesting. Fingers crossed for archipelago...

2012040900003.jpg

We can't quite tell yet. There's only four civs listed though, so this is definitely a tiny map. We are near some gems, wheat, and fish though, which is very nice. All in all, not a bad place to start our civilization. Let's just plonk our settler down and get started then, shall we?

2012040900004.jpg

Hmm. "Honolulu" is a nice name and all, but it lacks a certain... something.

2012040900005p.jpg

Much better! Right, now the important matter of the city's name has been decided, we can get on to the lesser issues of what to build and what to research first. I don't think we need a scout quite yet, nor do we really need to build up our military. We haven't found any great places for a second city, either. So that leaves us with a choice between a worker and a monument. I'd say culture's more important right now. We won't be able to improve those gems for a few tecs yet anyway, and I wouldn't think we need to grow particularly fast right now, so we can leave getting a worker for a while.

As for techs, I'm a big fan of going straight for Writing and trying to get the Great Library. To do this we'll need to get Pottery first. So, a quick overview of where we are right now:

2012040900006.jpg

Ah. That was a good first turn. Time to go exploring!

2012040900007.jpg

Two turns in and we've already run into some nasty neighbours. I'll have a bit of a go at them, but really, I want to have a look around for a bit before getting into any conflicts. Which brings me to one of the special abilities of the Polynesian civ:

2012040900008.jpg

I can embark straight away! No waiting for higher-level techs for me. I could sail around the whole world right at the start if I wanted to. I won't right now, though. I want to see if there's anything good nearby.

2012040900009.jpg

Looks like there is!

2012040900010.jpg

Eh... not really the best, but free stuff is always good. Let's keep filling out the map, shall we?

2012040900011.jpg

Yay, a more civilised neighbour! Much better than those uncouth barbarian menaces we still need to deal with. They give me 30 gold too, which is nice of them. I wonder what else is out there...

2012040900012.jpg

Hello, Korea. I know for sure they can't set sail yet. Looks like this isn't an archipelagic map, then. So, either continents or pangaea. Well, we have nothing we wish to do with them quite yet, so goodbye, Consul Sejong.

Don't say anything to him, but I have the feeling we're going to have to... deal with them... at some point. This landmass isn't big enough for the both of us.

After a while longer, we finish our monument, start work on a scout, finish Pottery, start on Writing, and get our first policy. I like Liberty. Let's take that one.

2012040900013.jpg

Some more exploring, and we come across another nice neighbour. Hello, Florence! No, not Bakura, the city-state Florence.

2012040900014.jpg

Hmm. Korea has to be around here somewhere... I wonder where they are.

2012040900015.jpg

Wait... Busan!? That's not their capital. They've already founded their second city! So if that's here, where's Seoul?

2012040900016.jpg

Oh, right there. Alright then. That should be convenient enough if we ever need to take full control of this continent. I reckon I might be able to get them out of the game before too long if I need to.

Well, that's 50 turns. Updates should be at the most this many turns long. I'll probably make them cover fewer turns in the later years of the game, when things really start to come thick and fast. But for now, it's a pretty calm pace. We've found another civ, we've found a couple of city-states, we've killed a few barbarians, all in all, we're doing alright for ourselves.

Map of the known world, turn 50:

2012040900018.jpg

astronelson

In the beginning, there was the Question.

The Question was simple, but held deep meaning.

The Question was more than a request for information.

It was a challenge.

Twelve words, driving thousands of years of history.

"Can you build a civilization that will stand the test of time?"

And so we begin. In here we will traverse the thousands of years of history Civilization V runs through in each game, exploring new worlds, founding globe-spanning empires, interacting with other cultures, and occasionally removing said other cultures from the face of the planet. Truly, we shall be as gods, shaping the course of mankind.

This post shall serve as a record of my progress, an overview of the triumphs and failures of my various civilizations. From launching ourselves into interstellar space, to crushing our enemies beneath the wheels of our chariots, to our civilization being completely conquered.

This post will be updated and expanded upon as we go on.

Victories:

We are the champions - my friends

And we'll keep on fighting

Till the end

We are the champions

We are the champions

No time for losers

'Cause we are the champions

Of the World

- Queen, "We Are The Champions"

1. As of yet none.

Defeats:

I met a traveller from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, "Ozymandias"

1. As of yet none.