• Moose

Tarkusian Cities

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The CJ that's always under construction! Tarkusian Cities follows the travails of various transportation authorities across an alternate universe version of Western North America

Entries in this City Journal

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back to share even more Tarkusian Cities progress, by picking up where we left off with the construction on Chemeketa's Red Line. 

For those of you who commented on Update 103, I've replied to your comments over on that thread--I appreciate the support!

Coincidentally, an alert reader at the SC4D edition, SimCity V6, pointed out that June 17th--still today here in the western US--happens to be the 10th anniversary of my first-ever post in Tarkusian Cities, so it's a rather fortuitous day for an update.  I'm still in shock that Tarkusian Cities is that old . . . and it makes me feel old, too.:D

Before we resume, here's the map again:

u103-lightrail.png?w=175

When we left off last time, the 9th/10th Street SE couplet was being extended one block, both halves of the couplet planned to cross over both the existing railroad and the new Red Line tracks.  (facing north)
u103-8.jpg

Work has begun on building the overpasses.  There's also a lot of other things to note here.  Since the plan entails lowering the existing railroad to cross under the new couplet, the C&O line through downtown had to be temporary closed.  Rail Ave SE has also been reconstructed between 9th and 10th Streets, since it no longer has to serve as a de facto part of the couplet. However, Liberty Street SE is being widened to 4 travel lanes between 8th and 11th Streets, in order to fulfill the same purpose, and some structures have been demolished in preparation.  (facing north)

u104-1.jpg

Here's the finished product.  In order to seamlessly integrate with the couplet, the new 4-lane section of Liberty has been given dual left turn lanes onto the extended 9th Street.  9th Street east of Liberty, however, now ends at a cul-de-sac just before the new intersection, in order to better control access and mitigate impact on the residential neighborhood. (facing north)

u104-2.jpg

Here's a little farther north on the line.  In order to mitigate the need for further demolition and new right-of-way (ROW) acquisition along Rail Ave, the portion of the Red Line between Salisbury Way SE (the road that comes in where 6th Street SE would be) and 8th Avenue NE is being run down the median of the road.  Crews have already been at work on some parts of the track north of downtown, so here's where that advance work is going to connect into the median running. (facing north)

u104-3.jpg

Here's the completed Salisbury split, the south end of the median running. You can see the 9th Street overpass at the bottom. (facing north)

u104-4.jpg

And finally, here's the Red Line running underneath Highway 36. (facing north)

u104-5.jpg

That does it for this update . . . there will be a Part 6 for the Red Line coming shortly, where we'll see the northern segment under construction.

-Alex

Tarkus
Hi everyone-

Thank you all for the warm welcome back! *:thumb:

As many of you may have hoped after my little teaser three days ago, I am happy to confirm that Tarkusian Cities is indeed returning from its 3 1/2-year hiatus.  The plans to bring Tarkusian Cities back actually happened as a happy accident--Simtropolis' own Dirktator and Cyclone Boom tasked me with obtaining some NAM-related screenshots for a project.  I dusted off Chemeketa and both versions of Argentum to that end.  I wanted to get a good sampling of GLR and GLR Dual-Networking features, and ended up spending a fair bit of time playing around in Chemeketa, resolving the light rail "cliffhanger" set up by Update 102, which originated back in December 2013. 

It was the first time I had truly played the game in quite some time, outside of my normal NAM development work, and I had a blast.  I'm not sure how much longer I'll really be able to do anything with the Chemeketa region, as my attempts to try to use an earlier backup to avert a Prop Pox issue in the downtown tile have unfortunately proved unsuccessful, and one of the other built-up tiles shows evidence of disabled props in SC4 Savegame Explorer.  Argentum 2.0 also hit a point where I wasn't really feeling it anymore, though I do actually have some archives I've located of some projects I've done there that haven't seen the light of day, which I'm hoping to process into updates.  In all likelihood, I'll be starting a new region in the near future, though pending RL (I'm looking at moving out of Oregon, possibly as early as this summer) might put things back on hiatus for a bit.

So, without further ado, here's Update 103, where we'll be picking up with the construction of the Chemeketa Red Line light rail system.  The Red Line is designed to connect between Chemeketa Regional Airport to the office and high tech area in the Lila Engel neighborhood, near the intersection of 39th Avenue NE and Ashcroft Street.  When we last left off, construction was wrapping up on southern portion of the line, paralleling the newly-reconstructed and realigned Tweedy Boulevard SE. 

This update will pick up with the central segment of the line, which will run through Downtown Chemeketa.  The route will continue to mostly parallel the existing C&O Railroad line, though in order to minimize disruptions to C&O's operations, and minimize demolition, it includes a "crossover" over the existing rail line, just south of 20th Street SE, and a stretch where it will run in the median of an expanded Rail Avenue, roughly between Salisbury Way SE and 8th Avenue NE.  Additionally, the 9th/10th Avenue SE couplet will be extended one block east, from Rail Avenue SE to Liberty Street SE, in order to reconfigure some less intuitive intersections, and allow for a grade-separated crossing of both the Red Line and C&O Railroad. 

Here's a look at the finalized routing through downtown and vicinity (click to enlarge).

u103-lightrail.png?w=175

This is just south of 20th Street SE, near the point where the crossover will be constructed (facing north).  The road just to the east is Anglia Way SE (which is now connected directly to Tweedy Boulevard, just south of here).  The crossover is needed due to the presence of the rail junction just north of here.
u103-1.jpg

The crossover under construction (facing north)
u103-2.jpg

Here is the current alignment along 10th Street SE, where the couplet with 9th Street SE will be extended one block east (facing north)
u103-3.jpg

The completed crossover (facing north)
u103-4.jpg

The 20th Street SE station on the Red Line, just south of the C&O junction (facing north)
u103-5.jpg

Work begins at 10th Street SE (facing north).
u103-6.jpg

The portion of 10th Street SE between Rail Avenue SE and Liberty Street SE has been closed, in preparation for excavation work (facing north).  This part of the central segment of the Red Line is actually the only one where building demolition was required, due to the more extensive reconfiguration of traffic patterns at this spot.
u103-7.jpg

Preparation work also begins on extending 9th Street SE from Rail to Liberty (facing north)
u103-8.jpg

That wraps up this construction update.  For Update 104, we'll continue with the 10th Avenue SE reconstruction, and enter into the heart of downtown.

-Tarkus
Tarkus

Note: This update was originally posted in 2013 in the SC4 Devotion edition of Tarkusian Cities, as part of a special feature, but had not made it over to the Simtropolis version.  It has been slightly edited to fit with the context of the Simtropolis edition.

Hi everyone-

The Tarkusian Cities update splurge continues. 

Last we left off, the Ashcroft overpass had been built, along with a good bit of the new routing of Tweedy Blvd, and work on the light rail line.  Now, we're going to delve a little further into that project.

This is at the south end of the Ashcroft overpass (facing east), where Ashcroft has been temporarily routed to end at 45th St SE.  This temporarily alignment will give way to the permanent alignment this update.

mqKZcH9.jpg

The short, curvy connector roadway between 45th and Stiratt will be replaced by the Ashcroft extension, which will be built to include 4 travel lanes, at least between 45th and 61st during this phase.  Here's the progress on that (facing east).

woGkMxD.jpg

This is the new Ashcroft/Stiratt intersection, after completion (facing east).  The old connector road can be seen in the lower left corner.

MkfHXa7.jpg

The new Ashcroft/45th intersection (facing east).  The section of 45th up top formerly crossed the tracks and intersected Tweedy Blvd, but now dead-ends just before the tracks.  You can also see the remnants of the old connector road and the temporary Ashcroft alignment here.

wTT2f7W.jpg

The Ashcroft overpass is seen here, fully open to traffic, with preliminary work on the Ashcroft stop on the new Chemeketa Red Line (facing east).

BhWIBM5.jpg

This is along the Tweedy Blvd extension.  (facing east)  Part of the old alignment of 35th has been turned into a roadway paralleling Tweedy on the other side of the Red Line tracks.  You can also see the city's "trial" passenger train from C&O running on the heavy rail tracks.

ITknanT.jpg

In order to provide access from Tweedy to Ashcroft, an access road was built, hooking into the 36th/37th St couplet through the industrial area, and providing more direct access to Ashcroft Station (facing east).

q3kVDZ0.jpg

The next update will provide a little further clarity as to all the myriad changes undertaken as part of this project.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Note: This update was originally posted in 2013 in the SC4 Devotion edition of Tarkusian Cities, as part of a special feature, but had not made it over to the Simtropolis version.  It has been slightly edited to fit with the context of the Simtropolis edition.

Hi everyone-

Something you don't see very often--two Tarkusian Cities updates in a week.  We'll delve further into construction on the Tweedy/Ashcroft Corridor and the light rail project this update. 
Last we left off, Tweedy Blvd had been closed, and work was starting on realigning and extending Ashcroft Street, instead of having Ashcroft run into Tweedy, south of 35th.

This is facing west at that same spot, after work has begun on building an overpass (facing west).  Ashcroft will pass over the extended section of Tweedy Blvd, with access being provided by a future connector roadway, which will be built a bit later.

T4JJnPf.jpg

This is to the south of that area, showing where the extended Ashcroft Street will meet with 45th Street SE (facing west).  Upon completion of the project, 45th will be closed off just east of this future intersection, instead of continuing across the tracks and meeting up with the old alignment of McCabe Street.

uoQShOL.jpg

The overpass on Ashcroft is coming along nicely.  Now it just needs some more things to go under it (facing west).

CEgH45g.jpg

The elevated part of the Ashcroft extension is now hooked into the existing northern section (facing west).  The 36th/37th couplet is still in place.

x2IPmVl.jpg

A temporary alignment of the Ashcroft extension, terminating at 45th, has been built, to alleviate traffic displaced by the Tweedy Blvd closure (facing west).

B5AvKMz.jpg

The new Tweedy alignment is being built under the Ashcroft overpass (facing west).

bK0Q2I9.jpg

This is along 35th, past the end of the 36th/37th couplet, and just a bit west of the intersection that had been demolished (facing west).  As you can see, 35th has some substantial issues of its own, prompting Tweedy Blvd extension.

bK0Q2I9.jpg

So, that intersection is getting demolished, too (facing west).  You can see the Tweedy Blvd extension sneaking into the picture in the bottom left corner.

kSwWB2b.jpg

This is at the intersection of Nego Way (named after long-time TC supporter Nego) and Anglia Way (facing west), which, as you can see, is also very congested.  Tweedy Blvd will be extended to meet and overtake Anglia Way's present alignment at this spot.

GwAGEdC.jpg

The extension has now been built (facing west).

lFa8TLM.jpg

This is where Tweedy Blvd meets up with the aforementioned "connector" to the grade-separated section of Ashcroft (facing east).  The diagonal road paralleling the rebuilt Tweedy Blvd is part of the old alignment of 35th.  The road that previously intersected 35th has been cut off at the tracks.

MrsaFRd.jpg

A little further realignment work south of Tweedy along the extension (facing east).  This will be put into better context soon.

dW5RCzJ.jpg

x538ol1.jpg

That does it for this installment.  Stay tuned for Part 3 of this project, coming next time.

-Tarkus
Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, at long last, after a couple teasers, we've rolled the odometer to Update 100.  And aside from the fact that there's three digits now, this update will simply be a dose of good old-fashioned Tarkusian Cities, something which has been a bit of a scarcity lately.  I'm going to continue along the lines of the teasers, and show you all the start of what will be the start of a modest light rail system in Chemeketa, along with a number of road realignment and extension projects that will accompany it.  The continuation of Update 99's couplet project in Argentum (2.0) will serve as a bit of an intermission in what should be a multi-update arc, and I may take a little peek back at a couple of Tarkusian Cities you may not have seen in some time, including the discovery of a "lost update" from 2009.

Chemeketa, unfortunately, has begun to experience the dreaded prop pox in its downtown tile, and I've yet to ascertain just what is causing it, so I am considering a full Plugins reboot and a new Tarkusian region in the near future.  As it's been a few years since I've done that--since Chemeketa's start some 4 years ago--it's actually a process I'm somewhat looking forward to undertaking.

Below is the map of Chemeketa, with a rough sketch of some of the proposed changes shown.  Road realignments or additions are in dashed lines, reflecting the color of the new roadway's expected functional classification, and the new light rail line is shown on the map as the "Proposed Red Line".  As my long-time stand-by for large maps, Gmapuploader, is no longer offering the service I used, I'm trying out Zoom.it and using my space at SimTarkus for image hosting.

(Edit as of June 2017: It appears Zoom.it has also broken down since, too.  I am hoping to find an alternate solution, and am adding it to the list of things I need to do to fully restore Tarkusian Cities.)

Now to see the "proposals" in action.

The two major projects you'll see under way during this project are the start of the Red Line, and the Tweedy-Ashcroft Corridor project, which are symbiotically related.  (If you're curious as to the namesakes for those roads, see here and here, respectively.)  The Red Line, as a whole, is intended to begin at the Chemeketa Airport, wind its way past the university and through downtown parallel to the railroad tracks, and eventually curve onto 33rd Avenue NE, heading through a high-tech area and ending in the Starpoint District, serving to link up downtown with the airport, and alleviate commute-related traffic on the south end of the Chemeketa Parkway.

This first image is at the intersection of Stiratt Road SE and Link Road SE.  Link Road acts as a little connector between Tweedy Boulevard and Stiratt Road, which are important arterials in the area, and it is surprisingly congested, even more so by the fact that it has an at-grade rail crossing along both it and Stiratt, right near the intersection.  McCabe Street SE is planned to be realigned to meet up with Link Road at Tweedy, and overpasses will be built to cross over both the existing rail line, and the under-construction light rail line.

Stiratt Road traffic was temporary diverted and briefly closed, to make room for the overpass construction (facing north).

Zq0nAWF.jpg

Overpass work under way (facing north).

IOWjXIj.jpg

OwsIkwm.jpg

This is facing west.  The 4-lane structure is the replacement for Link Road, which will be renamed as an extension of McCabe Street.

9ZOGFpA.jpg

This is at the new Tweedy/McCabe intersection (facing west).  This intersection's completion is a necessary step in preparing for the Tweedy Boulevard re-alignment and Red Line construction.

9LHsifc.jpg

More construction.

uckvoOz.jpg

This is where the existing McCabe Street alignment meets with the new alignment (facing west).  The road will now continue south to meet with the former Link Road, instead of southwest to align with 45th Street.

uckvoOz.jpg

And the new alignment after completion (facing west).

DDzGf4P.jpg

The new intersection at Tweedy is open for business (facing west).

1VfaT0B.jpg

Two roads through the industrial area along McCabe have been converted to one-way traffic, in order to handle the loads caused by the Tweedy Blvd closure.

rF2LyUy.jpg

This is where Tweedy and Ashcroft currently converge, at the intersection with 35th St SE.  The new one-way couplet hooks in here as well.  Ashcroft will eventually be extended south, some 35 blocks, to meet up with the proposed Western Bypass. (facing west)

Bd1RuP4.jpg

35th is also being realigned (its naming is actually a bit odd, as it actually intersects Tweedy/Ashcroft where 38th should be), and the eastbound part of the couplet now connects into it, a temporary change. (facing west).

IqsHwdM.jpg

Tweedy Blvd west of the new McCabe Street intersection has now been torn out, and work begins on extending Ashcroft Street (facing west).  Upon the project's completion, Ashcroft Street will have an overpass atop Tweedy Boulevard, allowing for smoother traffic flow. 

8MnrfbS.jpg

That does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, I'm back with the first "post-doctoral" update. We'll be getting a close up on the New Argentum this time around. Appropriately enough, today also happens to be the birthday of one especially loyal Tarkusian reader from the SC4D edition, our Amsterdammer friend sebes, who created the "drunk engineer" term to refer to the quacks who built the original Caldera Lane/Barnaby Drive interchange in Old Argentum. For those who don't remember it:

calderalnconstructionrz8.jpg

Yeah. That wasn't pretty. Fortunately, New Argentum's hiring practices tend to be much better at screening out the intoxicated candidates, so the illustrious J. Ron Error, former Capital Projects Engineer for the City of Argentum and the original "drunk engineer", won't be back to stick another "masterpiece" like that in there.

First off, here's a map of the central city tile of New Argentum. The "dashed line" bits are involved in the first construction project we'll examine. You'll notice some familiar road names from Old Argentum on here, including a few "honorees" from earlier in Tarkusian Cities. (Click to view larger)

l0dOYXG.jpg

Now, I'm going to show an image of something I've never shown before--how I actually start off a town (facing east). Usually, I lay out a small downtown-ish area and build out basic arterial roadways from it.

oGgpOWG.jpg

Here it is at a later stage in development, more or less filled in (facing east).

y8HU77C.jpg

This is the intersection of Caldera Drive and Argentum Boulevard (facing north). As you can imagine, this is a major intersection that basically serves as the "gateway" into central New Argentum from the south.

b7Qp00U.jpg

This is where Argentum Boulevard intersects Isthmus Avenue, a major east-west route (facing north). It's clearly quite congested.

7BbuHuc.jpg

Same vicinity, a little farther north (facing north).

0SWlhAp.jpg

A farther out view of the Argentum/Caldera intersection (facing north).

MFX3Dp3.jpg

This is along Caldera Drive as it heads diagonally along the shores of Emerson Lake (facing north). As you can see here, seawalls have been built to keep Emerson Lake from spilling its banks during unseasonably wet weather. The Stone Caldera, a mini crater lake in the midst of Argentum's downtown (and where Caldera Drive and Crater Street get their name) is also pictured.

8Hucx0b.jpg

And here's where Caldera Drive intersects both Vista Street and Centum Avenue (facing north). Some building construction is also occurring.

i7veu1A.jpg

In order to alleviate the congestion along Argentum Boulevard, and at its intersection with Caldera Drive, the city is undertaking a project to convert Crater Street and Argentum Boulevard into a one-way couplet, between Lake Drive and a bit north of Isthmus Avenue. Caldera and Lake will also become a couplet for a few short blocks. Construction on the south end of this project has begun, as you can see here (facing north).

fCO8Gxk.jpg

This is at the north end of the project (facing east).

HQAC1Ih.jpg

These two images show the connector roadway between Argentum Boulevard and Crater Street, north of Isthmus, being constructed, forming the northern split into the Argentum/Crater couplet (facing east).

baGlFDl.jpg

LPSjty8.jpg

The finished result of this project will be shown next update which, astonishingly enough, will be Update 100 of Tarkusian Cities. Hope you enjoyed this one, and we'll be back to New Argentum for some more construction shortly.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, it's been a rather busy 6 months since Tarkusian Cities last saw some action. RL's been good, but hectic (finishing my dissertation and finally seeing light at the end of the Ph.D. tunnel, plus teaching this spring), and my SC4 time has, for much of the past several months, been consumed with NAM 31 and its "point-x" releases. My updating here will continue to be sporadic, going into the future, but in the meanwhile, as I have a little bit of content prepped, I figured I'd drop Update 98 on you all.

Chemeketa: 15th/16th Ave NE Couplet Extension

With the increased popularity of luxury waterfront condos along the Willamette, both in Chemeketa and Vivien Heights, traffic in the northern CBDs of both cities has become a bit onerous, particularly along Division Street N and Wallace Road NW.

In order to mitigate some of the ongoing issues, and further regional interconnectivity, the two cities have acquired funding to extend the 15th and 16th Avenue NE couplet from Chemeketa, across the Willamette, to line up with 15th Avenue NW in Vivien Heights.

This is the existing intersection of the 15th/16th couplet on the Chemeketa side, with the Highway 215 couplet (Division St N/Commerce St NE), facing north. As you can see, 15th currently extends farther west as a two-way local street, and a pathway extends out of the end of 16th. In order to accommodate the improvements, the pathway will be re-routed, and the section of 15th to the west will be appropriated and converted to the eastbound part of the extended couplet.

rUr8DcY.jpg

This image is a little bit north, past the point where Division and Commerce converge into a two-way roadway. As you can see, there's been quite a building boom here. (facing north)

CTqnJLx.jpg

This is a little farther north yet, at Division and 24th Ave, just before Division turns into the Chemeketa Parkway. Quite a bit of development here, too. (facing north)

V8rKPen.jpg

This is on the Vivien Heights side of the river, at the intersection of Wallace Road and 15th Avenue NW, the western bounds of the project. (facing north). As you can see, this is a pretty busy little stretch of road, too. Much of it is traveling between Chemeketa and Vivien Heights over the Wallace Road Bridge, which is currently the only such bridge south of the Northern Crossing (Highway 221/52nd Ave).

6oTpFRK.jpg

Work is underway on the Chemeketa side (facing north).

TY3SYLc.jpg

And on the Vivien Heights side (facing north). The wider street going north-south here is Water St NW.

EpK7rY2.jpg

The 15th Ave span has been constructed (facing north).

c12Z8rd.jpg

The work extending the couplet on the east side is mostly finished (facing west).

pddcGqb.jpg

And here's the west side (facing north). The intersection of 15th/16th with Water St has been designed such that Water splits in two, and straddles some buildings, minimizing conflict points. As the speed limit on the westernmost portion of the couplet is only 25mph, the sharp curves along 16th as it merges onto 15th should not prove problematic, though it is likely that this particular intersection will be tweaked further by city engineers.

QVxvVUd.jpg

And here it is facing west.

QQIp87l.jpg

The redesigned intersection of 15th and Wallace. As you might expect, a few buildings had to go to make way for the wider roadway (facing north).

b1b5wnq.jpg

And a map of the finished product.

EujwdSE.png

That does it for Update 98. As I mentioned before, with life in flux, I can't say when I'll be able to post additional material, but thank you all for your patience over the years with the intermittent nature of Tarkusian Cities, and I hope you enjoyed this brief spring back into action.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

There's been one big thing here that I haven't shown with respect to Chemeketa--a full region view. So, without further adieu, here it is--you can click it and get the giant version:

chemeketa_thumb_11162012.jpg

Also, if you're curious to see my transport layout overlaid onto the terrain, here's a full blast version of that. You can actually see Update 98's end product on there, so it serves as a bit of a teaser, too.

And another thing I haven't shown, which I may start doing more often given the transportation focus of this MD, is Congestion and Volume DataViews. This is actually in the central city tile, which has a game population of 332,308 (the largest I've ever built, actually), and for the record, I'm running the NAM Medium Simulator, and the only mass transit is a barely-used stretch of commuter rail.

chemeketa-congestionview.jpg

Given the large population and the general lack of mass transit, it's holding up surprisingly well. Two of the extended yellow/red spots are along Wallace Road on the west side of the map, one at the top, and one just south of the bridge. Update 98 will largely take care of that top one, and mitigate the red spot there at the start of the Chemeketa Parkway.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

For those who may remember that far back, before Tarkusian Cities, I had a short-lived CJ called "Argentum". Argentum (which eventually got appropriated into the stream of Tarkusian Cities). While that particular region was a bit rough around the ages (particularly in its early days), as I worked with it for so long, and it was the first region I built with the NAM in mind, I've always had particularly fond memories of it. Coincidentally, the first ever RHW I built was in Argentum--a roadway initially known as Highway 65 (it was actually a predecessor of one incarnation of "Highway 61" that ran through there).

This was part of one of the most complicated setups I built with the RHW in old Argentum.

argentum-hwy61-204-interchange.jpg

That image really shows the limitations of the very first RHW release. First off--no slope mod (yikes!). You'll also notice I had to convert the RHWs into Avenues to cross them. The RHW, at that point, only allowed Roads to go over them. There was no Avenue-over-RHW piece, let alone an RHW-over-RHW capability, and my initial reasons for getting into RHW development were actually because of this very interchange. I had to use some very sketchy One-Way Road setups to make the ramps--back in 2006, was pretty much the only way to build custom interchanges--in fact, it was considered "the future" by many transportation luminaries of that era. The MIS wasn't on anyone's minds. And looking at today's developments, it's hard to believe this could have passed for a "good interchange" at any prior point in history.

This was another interchange of that era . . . farther south along old Highway 65. It got demolished for good early on in Tarkusian Cities history, in one of the zillions of road re-alignments and "realism adjustments" I made to that old Argentum region over the years. That approach I took in documenting these adjustments really set the tone for the rest of Tarkusian Cities.

angstrom-hwy61-gaffner-cubit.jpg

The old Argentum region, over the years, became unstable to play, even as I improved it. As I was still relatively new to custom content when I began building it, there were some not-up-to-par plugins in there which, over time, corrupted it.

However, awhile back, I revisited the original terrain map for it in SC4 Terraformer. It was originally an auto-generated Landscape Designer map (anyone remember that tool?) that I tweaked fiendishly over the years in-game, and my last revisions to it cleaned it up. And I began building a completely new Argentum on it.

u96-1.jpg

Argentum 2.0 Downtown (facing east)

u96-2.jpg

I'll be back to Argentum 2.0 for certain in future updates.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back to share the completion of the eastern portion of the Eriksen-Scarlet Corridor Project in Chemeketa.

Eriksen-Scarlet Corridor Project, Phase 2

10TgZl.png

When we left off last time, the section of Eriksen Drive NE between Ashcroft Street NE and the S-curve had been widened to 4 travel lanes. This is the east end of that phase, right before the intersection with Scarlet Street NE (facing north).

sKeZc.jpg

A section of the new alignment has been built, but not connected. The western portion of Eriksen (widened in Phase 1) will be curved to align with the southern segment of Scarlet. The eastern segment of Eriksen will T into these two segments (facing east).

uwjt2.jpg

The roadway has been closed off for further construction. The northern segment of Scarlet, which is a minor residential collector, is now accessed from a T-intersection off the eastern segment of Eriksen (facing east).

N41zH.jpg

The eastern segment of Eriksen is now connected into the realignment (facing east).

cp8ly.jpg

This new segment is now open, and lighting and landscaping have been addressed (facing east).

ELo2L.jpg

A little detour along the northern segment of Scarlet--another "starpoint" roundabout (facing north).

O7sge.jpg

Here's along the southern segment of Scarlet, in its old alignment, as it intersects 52nd Avenue NE. As you can see, it's pretty jammed with just 2 travel lanes. The roadway will be moved 100 feet west (facing north).

EIC4H.jpg

Here's where the widened roadway currently dumps onto the old southern segment of Scarlet (facing north).

NJNKT.jpg

Back at the 52nd/Scarlet intersection. The median area on 52nd has been paved further to accommodate the new intersection (facing north).

K1nqu.png

Further work at the intersection. Left turns have been restricted off 52nd in the interim (facing north).

FfbfU.jpg

The realigned segment has been built from Eriksen down to 52nd (facing north). The segment south of 52nd still needs to be realigned.

wpZUU.jpg

The segment south of 52nd has been closed off (facing north).

7Bxfc.jpg

The segment south of 52nd has now been re-built. This is the rebuilt intersection at 49th Way NE. You can see the old alignment of Scarlet on the left (facing north).

xpDNs.jpg

The rebuilt intersection of 52nd/Scarlet is now full open (facing north). Some remnants of construction staging remain.

dYoUL.jpg

And here's the finished product, with some new commercial development in the area (facing north).

JS8yb.jpg

Here's a map showing how the area is set up now.

7tFJe.png

That does it for this project here in Tarkusian Cities--we'll have a bit of a change of pace next update, though I can't yet reveal what that'll entail. Only 4 more updates until Update 100 arrives!

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Another construction project, another update. We'll be getting back to some familiar territory for this update . . .

I've posted up replies to the last update here.

Eriksen-Scarlet Corridor Project, Phase 1

Full regional map [link]

Project Area Map (dashed lines indicate realignments):

10TgZl.png

The Eriksen-Scarlet Corridor Project is Project #6, as identified in the current list of Chemeketa-area capital improvement projects. Eriksen Drive NE was built to serve as a neighborhood collector route, providing access between Ashcroft Street NE and residential developments in the area, and was later extended eastward to Rankine Lane NE. Further development has elevated the traffic volumes on Eriksen beyond its capacity, and it has increasingly been used by motorists as a cut-through from Ashcroft to 52nd Avenue NE, via Scarlet Street NE. The situation is especially bad between Ashcroft and Tamarack, a 2-lane section with a 25mph speed limit.

This project has been designed to better accommodate current and future traffic patterns in the area. Phase 1 of the project will widen Eriksen from Ashcroft through the S-Curve to 4 travel lanes, while Phase 2 will reconstruct the Eriksen/Scarlet intersection, and build a new, 4-lane alignment of Scarlet between Eriksen and 49th Way NE.

This is the current state of the intersection at Eriksen/59th Avenue NE and Ashcroft Street NE (facing west).

OsGTV.jpg

Just a little farther west, along 59th Avenue NE (facing west). The little stretch of 59th just west of the intersection with Ashcroft will need to be realigned to accommodate the widened Eriksen Drive.

ZGvEW.jpg

Construction begins (facing west):

04jaW.jpg

tMpBe.jpg

59th is temporarily closed off for realignment (facing west):

bHrvF.jpg

Demolition along Eriksen. The widening will only claim two houses (facing west):

XerwR.jpg

I2lmP.jpg

Progress at the intersection with Ashcroft (facing west).

I7TvP.jpg

The widening right near the intersection has been more or less completed (facing west).

oIpAu.jpg

YAN7B.jpg

At the east end of the S-Curve (facing west).

LRucG.jpg

This is at Tamarack Street NE (facing west). The stretch along the S-Curve has been closed down to speed along the widening. Motorists are advised to use 52nd or 71st in the interim.

VPLk1.jpg

The curve has been widened (facing west).

TzozU.jpg

The improved intersection at Tamarack (facing west).

Kposb.jpg

That does it for Phase 1. The next update will focus on Phase 2, the realignment of the eastern portion of the corridor.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I experienced a boot sector failure on my laptop's hard drive about a week ago, but fortunately, I've been able to recover my important things--including the Chemeketa region. I'm now running on a semi-new (larger) hard drive I scavenged out of my old HP laptop (itself a replacement for when the boot sector failed on that laptop's original drive), on which I've installed the preview of Windows 8 after a re-format. Now that the technical issues are sorted out, it's once again update time.

I've responded to all the replies on the last entry here [link]--thank you all for the great feedback and entertaining comments on it! :D

This update, we'll be taking a look at some development projects happening in East Chemeketa, right in the vicinity of the Highway 15/39th Avenue SPUI featured in Update 83. The high-tech boom in this area has also brought on a wave of commercial office and residential development, as well as some new infrastructure to handle all of it.

To go along with the new update, I've produced another edition of the full regional map: Full Regional Map

Here's a link to a smaller map of the exact area (click to expand):

VRUp9s.png

Both feature the full build-out of the area we'll be looking at with this update, including previously identified "Project 13"--the extension of Noah Street NE.

This first image is of the initial work on the 5-way "starpoint" roundabout being built, where Noah Street will intersect extensions of Bernard Way NE and Flenderson Road NE, as well as a new east-west collector route designed to serve the area, 35th Avenue NE (facing north).

3j7Aa.jpg

This is right near where 35th will intersect Halpert Road NE (facing north). Halpert will be widened to 4 lanes through the new intersection.

vipdM.jpg

Here's the initial build of the intersection to provide construction access (facing north), before development goes in and 35th gets widened to include a center turn lane.

uu36B.jpg

Here's the intersection after 35th is widened and development has gone in. As you can see, it's become a happening spot (facing north).

hOD9y.jpg

This is at the intersection of 39th and Halpert, previously re-built in Update 83, after more development (facing north).

fPTmw.jpg

Here's a couple of the "starpoint" in action, with the residential development having gone in around it. The planners behind these subdivisions wanted to create a distinctive and interesting street layout.

(facing east)

o4Uqm.jpg

(facing north)

xaykp.jpg

This is at the intersection of 39th/Hudson and Flenderson, post-development (facing north).

yOAff.jpg

The fractional angle road here (yet to be named) was built as a collector off of Hudson Road NE to access some residential spots to the north.

QZTQA.jpg

It currently dead-ends here, but future plans entail extending it to Flatwood Road NE (facing north).

IO3yf.jpg

Finally, as there's been questions regarding the little "tail" that extends off of the Highway 15/215 "Flugelhorn" interchange and extends to Halpert Road, I thought I'd show what's been happening up there. There's been both some residential and high-tech development in the area (both facing north).

o3UW8.jpg

Akp5R.jpg

That does it for this update. The next two updates will be back in familiar stomping grounds, and then I may take some interesting detours after that . . .

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Construction season is still in full swing, and another new update is upon us. We'll be taking a look at the completion of the Highway 36/Sorenson Street interchange.

Replies to the last update are up here--thanks for all your support and feedback on it! :D

ordotlogo.png

Highway 36/Sorenson Street Project (continued)

5ytjgl.png

Last update, we left off with the northern segment of Sorenson Street being realigned and widened to 4 lanes, between 5th and 16th Avenues NE. This construction update will focus on the southern part of the project area, including the reconfiguration of the Sorenson Street interchange along Highway 36.

Due to the high volume of truck traffic coming from the industrial area to the south, and the close proximity of the McCabe Street and Highway 15 interchanges to the Sorenson Street interchange, ORDOT has opted to replace the existing diamond/parclo hybrid with a first-in-the-region diverging diamond interchange (DDI). The DDI will be connected into collector-distributor roadways to the east. Proximity matters on the west side of the interchange will be mitigated by the future Highway 36 Chemeketa Center Modernization Project, which is currently planned to move the access points.

The new alignment of Sorenson Street has been built out toward Highway 36, and the existing parclo loop ramp on the north side of the interchange (providing access to and from westbound 36) is being demolished (facing east).

ecoXN.jpg

rT9uv.jpg

This Exit 57 sign now looks a bit out of place (facing west)

r7LbR.jpg

Work on the north side of the new interchange continues. You can see a sliver of the old Sorenson Street overpass in the bottom-right (facing north).

Kihz3.jpg

Facing east, as construction continues.

FVCIL.jpg

The old Sorenson Street interchange has now been closed off (facing east).

x383i.jpg

4v88N.jpg

Motorists have been detoured to Mosby Road for access to the industrial area in the meanwhile, and access to Highways 15 and 36 is possible via the Hwy 15/Terent Road interchange. As seen from this image of the intersection of Mosby Road SE and Terent Road SE (facing south), traffic's definitely picked up.

nSYEn.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the interchange, there's progress on the construction of the overpass. Highway 36 traffic has been shifted over some in order to allow for staging (facing south).

bhIbT.jpg

The intersection with Stinson Road SE (the road just to the south of Highway 36) has been . . . wait for it . . . realigned to the south (facing east), taking over part of the old alignment of Sorenson. The western segment is closed for the present, and will be reconnected by the city once the main bulk of the interchange improvements are finished.

GaNbF.jpg

Old (top) and new (bottom) (facing east)

VjVVd.jpg

And the new overpass and exit on the west side of the interchange are now open. (facing east)

QpE95.jpg

The ramps on the east side are still being constructed, including the C/D setup for the westbound lanes on Highway 36. The road to the left is Meander Drive NE (which forms a meandering loop--hence the name--off of Sorenson Street).

asvGL.jpg

The entrance to 36 eastbound is being built (facing west). You can see a little stub of the old southern segment of Sorenson Street (which now connects into Stinson Road).

7V8h3.jpg

And here is the mostly completed interchange (facing west), with the C/D lanes constructed for westbound 36. The old northern segment of Sorenson now curves onto Meander just north of the freeway. Contractors are continuing to work on minor punchlist items.

9nf3Z.jpg

Well, that does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities. Next update, we'll go just a bit north and east, to take a brief look at the explosion of development brought on by the 39th Ave NE SPUI from Update 81.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

After a nearly 4-month hiatus, Tarkusian Cities is back in the thick of construction season. I have a few capital improvement projects all around Chemeketa to showcase, which, for the first time in awhile, will entail visiting the south side of town. I've replied to everyone who commented on the previous update on the end of that update's comments section--thank you all for the support! :D

First off, a current region map, to reacquaint yourself with Chemeketa. (Trying out a new color scheme here, too.)

Current region map: [link]

ordotlogo.png

Highway 36/Sorenson Street Project

PROJECT OVERVIEW

ORDOT has identified that the segment of Highway 36 between downtown Chemeketa and the interchange with Highway 15 as a viable candidate for capital improvements. Among these improvements, one particular project was shortlisted for construction, the interchange with Sorenson Street.

Sorenson Street is a north-south arterial maintained by the City of Chemeketa, which provides access to several major industrial areas, and has long been a source of congestion. While city public works projects have noticeably improved the road well to the north of the project area, the portions of Sorenson Street in the vicinity of the existing interchange with Highway 36 is a 2-lane roadway with a 30mph speed limit, and has not seen much improvement since it was a semi-rural road on the outskirts of town.

As a result, it suffers significant congestion, and operates at LOS D at most hours, dropping to LOS F at the interchange and immediately south during peak hours.

As part of the project, ORDOT will be modernizing and re-aligning Sorenson Street, widening the roadway to include 4 travel lanes, from just south of the interchange, to 5th Avenue NE. The City of Chemeketa will be widening and re-aligning Sorenson between 5th and 16th Avenues NE in coordination with the interchange redesign.

The illustration below gives a rough outline of the improvements planned for this project.

5ytjgl.png

PRE-CONSTRUCTION CONDITIONS

This is where the ramps to and from Highway 36 eastbound intersect Sorenson Street (facing north).

tQfeq.jpg

Here is a full overview of the interchange area, with earth moving commencing on the new alignment of Sorenson Street (facing north).

okz43.jpg

This is an overview of the area surrounding the intersection of Sorenson with 5th Ave NE (facing north). As evidenced by the outlines of preliminary preparations for construction, a number of structures will need to be demolished to make way for the new roadway.

KWxsi.jpg

This is at the north end of the city's improvement project, at the intersection of Sorenson with 16th Ave NE (facing north). The segment north of 16th has already been widened to 4 lanes, and this project will widen the segment to the south to match.

i4jP0.jpg

DURING CONSTRUCTION

Another look, a little farther south, with some preliminary construction preparations underway (facing north). Sorenson will be realigned slightly toward the west, with more slight curvature.

3CF95.jpg

Demolition of structures near the interchange has commenced (facing north):

bl9CP.jpg

fTmbj.jpg

Just north of 5th Ave (facing north):

OB34x.jpg

Farther north, near the existing curve (facing north):

i5f6G.jpg

This small pocket of residential will not be directly connected into the new alignment Sorenson Street, and will instead be accessed by a segment of the old alignment, which will be retained for local access purposes (facing north).

u7zhi.jpg

fdvT1.jpg

FtkiO.jpg

Closer to 16th Ave (facing north)

4cPTI.jpg

A portion of the new alignment has been constructed, and 9th Place NE has been extended to it (facing north). This extension will provide access to the portion of the old alignment that will be retained for local access, and will minimize disruption during construction staging.

0abKK.jpg

The collector roadway just to the north (Meander Drive NE) will also be realigned, with its intersection with Sorenson being moved roughly 300 feet north (facing north).

cDnMP.jpg

dlcwV.jpg

This is back at the new 5th and Sorenson intersection (facing north). You can see the old intersection just to the right.

GvFfW.jpg

That does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities. Next update, we'll be delving more into the reconstruction of the interchange itself. Hope you enjoyed it!

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Tarkusian Cities latest "spurt" continues. Replies are now posted in the last update as well. :)

This update will focus on a variety of miscellaneous projects on the north end of Chemeketa and Vivien Heights that are in various stages of completion. As we saw last time with the Wallace Road widening, the construction moratorium has been lifted in North Vivien Heights, and the land north of Highway 221 (which crosses the Willamette and turns into the very familiar 52nd Ave NE in Chemeketa) was opened to development. Here's a map again:

http://gmapuploader.com/iframe/xEvZ3cVDhr

Those roads with the dotted lines on the north end of the orangish area (which represents the Vivien Heights City Limits) are roads that will be (or in some cases, already have been built) as part of the developmental plans.

Among the most notable is an extension of Greenwich Ave NW (Project #5--the projects are arbitrarily numbered), which will include the construction of a new bridge and roundabout that will connect it to Highway 219 and 71st Ave NE on the Chemeketa side of the river.

This is on the tail end of construction (facing north). The bridge is in place (thank you, DBE!) and the roundabout is about ready to be connected.

JH5IK.jpg

W0PCJ.jpg

You may notice the roundabout has a southeast leg that simply leads to a dead end at present. Eventually, this dead end will be bridged over Highway 215 and connect into the old (pre-Chemeketa Pkwy) segment of Highway 219 and 59th Ave NE, as the area around the roundabout and the 71st Ave interchange will be developed. There are also plans for a bike/pedestrian trail along the river that will tie into this development.

Next, we'll take a look at Project #3 on the map, along Highway 221 itself. In order to provide more access to the new development (and not have traffic weaving incessantly from Wallace to Greenwich along 221), a new roadway is being built to connect Wallace Road up with the Greenwich extension just southwest of the bridge. Additionally, as development is occurring to the west, in the hills, 221 is in need of further expansion itself. As a result, the interchange at Wallace Road is being reconstructed into a weird diamond that retains the flyover from 221 NB onto Wallace SB.

Construction has begun already in this image (facing east toward Chemeketa). The southbound lanes on 221 have already been demolished, and some temporary reconfiguration for construction staging is already underway.

nXbVJ.jpg

Grading begins on the extension (facing east).

R0AL2.jpg

Another overpass ramp bites the dust (facing east). Access to the last bit of 221 into Chemeketa is temporary accommodated by this at-grade ramp . . .

K6Urp.jpg

though staging ultimately required that it be shut down immediately. The mainline has been diverted onto Wallace Road itself, with a rather circuitous alignment so work can continue on the interchange.

WkYL7.jpg

FkVn8.jpg

Southbound lanes being rebuilt (still facing east). The section west of the interchange will be widened to 4 lanes for a brief stretch (which will eventually get extended further).

wkxuB.jpg

The mainline is mostly back open again (facing east), though access to Wallace is being accommodated by another temporary at-grade intersection.

jG82S.jpg

The at grade roadway has been turned into an exit ramp now, and things are back to being access controlled (facing east).

FLEES.jpg

The flyover ramp from 221 NB onto Wallace SB has been reconnected (facing east). Someone on the construction crew didn't get the memo about making the whole thing concrete, however. :P

ZBKg8.jpg

This is farther west, in a section of town you haven't seen yet. This is at the intersection of Highway 221 and Doaks Ferry Road NW (facing west), AKA Project #4. (Fun fact: the real Salem, OR has an intersection of Highway 221 and Doaks Ferry Road. It's not too far off the location of this one.) As there's been a lot of residential development going in on Doaks Ferry, the intersection will be turned into a grade-separated interchange (with a Super-2 for the present).

5osgI.jpg

This is an S-Curve on the existing alignment of Highway 221 just west of the Doaks Ferry intersection. (facing west) It'll be eliminated as part of the interchange construction. The small substation there will also need to be relocated as part of the project.

NSR7z.jpg

The a replacement substation has been built with a new access road (facing west). The new location will allow the utility district to expand the substation without fear of future (inevitable) expansions of the highway.

H0z0Q.jpg

Another inconveniently located grocery store is demolished (facing west). It's right in the way of where the overpass will be located.

stRSK.jpg

Doaks Ferry has now been closed off for construction. Motorists can still access it from 43rd Ave NW.

l5bbL.jpg

New roadway being built for the S-Curve straightening (facing west).

5mMqP.jpg

A little peek at the new interchange (facing west). It's a half-diamond/half-parclo with a roundabout connecting the parclo segment. These improvements are somewhat temporary . . . more will be done here before much longer.

S7EVE.jpg

That does it for this update. We'll take a closer look at some finished results from this area next time, and then, the big Sorenson Street realignment on the other side of town.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back with more Tarkusian Cities . . . the start of another brief "spurt" of updates, beginning with a brief little "prelude" this update.

First off, here's a new map . . . this shows the Chemeketa Parkway (Highway 215) completed, as well as giving a peek at the direction of future improvements in Chemeketa. You'll notice some red boxes with numbers, denoting projects, as well as some dotted lines.

http://gmapuploader.com/iframe/xEvZ3cVDhr

Wallace Road NW Widening (South of Greenwich to 43rd Ave)

This project will widen the stretch of Wallace Road NW in Vivien Heights from 3 to 5 lanes between just south of Greenwich Ave NW and 43rd Avenue NW, just south of the interchange at Highway 221.

This is Wallace Road NW just south of the intersection with Greenwich Ave NE (facing north). It's a 3-lane road (2 travel lanes with a center turn lane), which functions as the main artery between Highway 221 and the city center of Vivien Heights.

FD2iN.jpg

This is just a bit north of that intersection (facing north).

lr3lU.jpg

This is at Wallace Road and 43rd Avenue NW (facing north), a major road that leads to the western reaches of town, up in the hills--you can see construction preparation is already underway at the bottom of the image.

aQmNx.jpg

The grocery store there had to be torn out to make way for the widening (facing north). Vivien Heights has been operating under a construction moratorium for some time now due to inadequate transportation facilities, but these restrictions are due to be loosened upon the completion of widening, which will open the west side of the road to commercial development, allowing a replacement to be built.

D9plF.jpg

Wallace Road has now been widened (facing north), though the pavement on 43rd has been torn up, as it'll be rebuilt to handle turn lanes.

gBnmE.jpg

43rd has been rebuilt (facing north), and the intersection signalized.

9maJh.jpg

This is just north of the intersection at 43rd (facing north), where the road currently narrows back down to 2 lanes, just south of the interchange at Highway 221. The interchange will be rebuilt substantially in future updates, as the area north of Highway 221, as well as land immediately west of Wallace, will finally be opened up to development.

ssy5r.jpg

Here's the intersection at 43rd now that all the construction equipment is out of the way (facing north). A park has been built at the site of the former grocery store.

lDtUg.jpg

That does it for this update. While I had initially planned on switching gears over to a new region, I've had a bit of a "second wind" with Chemeketa and am still planning out how to present the new region, so we'll be staying in the same vicinity for awhile. Lots of construction still to do. :) Hope you enjoyed it!

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, I'm back again with some more Tarkusian Cities . . . at long last, we'll be finishing up the Chemeketa Parkway.

Chemeketa Parkway (Highway 215): Phase 4 (Ashcroft to Highway 15)

As we left off last time, with Phase 3B, the Chemeketa Parkway (Highway 215) had been built up to (and slightly past) Ashcroft Street NE, almost to its eventual endpoint at the West Oregon Freeway (Highway 15). Here's the map again for reference purposes:

http://gmapuploader.com/view/rNw5WI20v0

This final segment of the highway will involve the construction of new interchanges at Rankine Lane NE and Highway 15, as well as the reconstruction of the 99th Avenue NE interchange on Highway 15 to minimize weaving conflicts.

What you're looking at here is the eventual "endpoint" of Highway 215. The existing highway there is Highway 15 (facing north).

mgmia.jpg

This is at Rankine Lane NE, which will be getting an interchange (facing east).

SxjyG.jpg

Q43o2.jpg

In the interim, to help aid traffic flow in the area, the segment of Highway 215 from Ashcroft to Rankine has been built, but currently ends at Rankine with a signalized T-intersection (facing east).

mOkWb.jpg

Work on the overpass (facing north).

mfvq3.jpg

Work on the 15/215 interchange is also coming along nicely (facing north).

q2yV3.jpg

Ramp closures at the 99th Ave/Highway 15 interchange (facing south). It will be converted from a Diamond to a Parclo AB (Folded Diamond) as part of the project.

4hLXQ.jpg

A majority of the work is now done on the 15/215 interchange (facing south). It's kind of a screwed-up trumpet: a flugelhorn, perhaps?

CgX7W.jpg

The Rankine Lane interchange has been built up as well . . . it's a SPUI, as the vicinity will be seeing quite a bit of development in the near future, and capacity is a must. The Rankine area is a fast-growing exurb of Chemeketa. (facing north)

213gZ.jpg

This is one of the weirder aspects of the Highway 15/215 interchange: a "tail" ramp that connects Highway 215 up with Halpert Road NE. (facing west)

Work continues at Hwy 15/99th Ave (facing west).

ESubv.jpg

The interchange has been closed off completely now--the overpass will be widened as part of the improvements (facing south).

f0kiL.jpg

OvGhv.jpg

nlnWB.jpg

The overpass is now open (facing south).

81Mmq.jpg

Another look at the "Flugelhorn Interchange" in action (facing west).

Q3vLg.jpg

An even more zoomed out shot (facing west).

wXriz.jpg

The completed Parclo conversion/widening at 99th Avenue (facing north). The change in design will give traffic coming from northbound 215 more space to merge onto mainline northbound 15.

AqaaQ.jpg

Fast-forwarding a little, a look at some of the development that has sprung up along Rankine Lane at the interchange (facing north). We'll be taking a closer look at this area at some point in the not-too-distant future.

ju8N9.jpg

Well, that does it for this update, and for the Chemeketa Parkway project. We'll look at a few other little projects in the area and other developments there next time . . . I also have a new region or two that might sneak in--we'll see. ;)

Hope you enjoyed it!

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

First off, thanks for your patience between updates . . . RL's been beating up on me pretty good, but I seem to have emerged victorious from it, fortunately. :thumbsup: I'd also like to thank everyone who nominated Tarkusian Cities during the Trixies over at ST . . . it ended up winning Best Roadgeek CJ for 2011, which was a very pleasant surprise.

Without further ado, the update:

215chemeketapkwyphase3p.png

Project Map:

Phase 3B of the Chemeketa Parkway project will continue the construction of the Chemeketa Parkway (Highway 215), access-controlled freeway, from Bushnell Road NE to Ashcroft Street NE. As part of the project, some nearby transportation facilties will also be upgraded, including widening of Ashcroft St between 82nd Avenue NE (the former southern segment of Bushnell Road NE) and the interchange at Chemeketa Parkway.

This is where Ashcroft Street will meet Highway 215 (facing west).

SXYix.jpg

A temporary alignment of Ashcroft has been built, to facilitate construction of the new overpass (facing west).

MvuyD.jpg

Construction getting further underway (facing west).

Put1U.jpg

bI6CF.jpg

xfJ2S.jpg

Gvr1P.jpg

65mq7.jpg

The freeway itself is starting to go in now (facing west).

mNmE9.jpg

The new 4-lane Ashcroft St overpass has opened (facing west).

T2E88.jpg

This farm access road is in the way of the new freeway alignment. It will be disconnected, with the southern segment being connected into the 82nd/Ashcroft intersection (facing east).

Os5jy.jpg

Construction on the new southern connection (facing east).

CHrre.jpg

You can see Ashcroft Street (and 82nd Ave NE) here. This segment of Ashcroft is still getting widened (facing east).

Cl0Je.jpg

The completed new roadway, with a fresh layer of asphalt (facing east).

hNqrd.jpg

sKQ8i.jpg

The road now split by Highway 215 (facing east), which, as you can see, has a deceleration lane.

3kLrK.jpg

And a look at partially folded diamond interchange at Highway 215/Ashcroft Street (facing east).

IhKlU.jpg

Well, that does it for this edition of Tarkusian Cities. I'll be back next time to finish off Phase 4 of the Chemeketa Parkway, where it'll finally be connected into Highway 15. After that, we'll look at a few other little construction projects around Chemeketa, and then we might move onto a new region--a complete reboot of Argentum. ;)

-Alex

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back with another installment of Tarkusian Cities. We'll be continuing the Highway 215 Chemeketa Parkway project with Phase 3, which will construct a freeway to connect Downtown Chemeketa to Highway 15 to the northeast, through the fast-growing northern suburbs.

Because there were so many images that resulted during the construction of Phase 3, I've actually split Phase 3 into two parts.

215chemeketapkwyphase3p.png

Project Map:

Phase 3A of the Chemeketa Parkway project will continue the construction of the Chemeketa Parkway (Highway 215), access-controlled freeway, from the Highway 219/71st Avenue SPUI to Bushnell Road NE. As part of the project, some nearby transportation facilties will also be upgraded, including realignment of the Bushnell Road/Progress Street NE intersection, and improvements to the Windsor Industrial Rail Spur.

This is an overview of the project area (facing north). The town in the upper left (northwest) corner is Windsor, a rural suburb of Chemeketa with a population of roughly 2000.

u861.jpg

This is at the intersection of Bushnell Road NE and Progress Street NE (facing north), two major roadways in this vicinity, which will be realigned in order to accommodate the freeway alignment and improve traffic flow.

u862m.jpg

This is where the Chemeketa Parkway will meet the rail spur to the industrial area (facing north). In order to keep the freeway fully access-controlled, it will require the road to become elevated, in addition to realignment of the spur.

u863.jpg

Here is where the spur meets the mainline of the railroad (facing north). This mainline is one of the most important in the entire region, connecting the entire Willamette Valley.

u864.jpg

Constructio begins on the spur (facing north).

u865.jpg

u866.jpg

u867.jpg

u868.jpg

Here is where the spur meets Highway 219 (facing north) just south of Windsor. The cross street at the top is Withnall Way NE.

u869.jpg

Here is where the spur reaches the heavy industrial area (facing north), near the intersection of 99th Avenue NE and MacFarland Road NE. As part of the realignment, the spur will be upgraded to two tracks between the industrial park and the mainline.

u8610.jpg

u8611.jpg

Here is work on the freeway overpass over the spur (facing north).

u8612.jpg

This is where the Chemeketa Parkway meets the mainline (facing east), under construction.

u8613.jpg

This is at the intersection of Bushnell and Progress again (facing east). As you can see, the curve on Progress is right in the way of the freeway alignment. To that effect, Progress will instead head north and connect directly into the northern segment of Bushnell.

u8614.jpg

Paving underway (facing east).

u8616.jpg

The realignment is open, and traffic from the southern segment of Bushnell can temporarily access Progress and the northern segment sing the temporary connector road.

u8617.jpg

This is further north along the realignment section that is now completed (facing east), though as you can see, some motorists don't seem to have gotten the message (must be GPS users).

u8618.jpg

This is the southern part of the realignment (facing east). The southern segment of Bushnell will directly T into Progress Street, and to mitigate any confusion with navigation and emergency vehicle dispatch, the southern segment will be renamed 82nd Avenue NE between Progress and Ashcroft.

u8619.jpg

The new 82nd/Progress/Bushnell intersection will be signalized with added turn lane capacity (facing north).

u8620.jpg

And it's now opened up (facing north). And apparently, those GPS users still haven't a clue.

u8621.jpg

The temporary connector is now closed off (facing north), and the remnant of the northern segment of Bushnell has been realigned to end at a cul-de-sac just north of the freeway, to allow access to the local farms.

u8622.jpg

u8623.jpg

Work can now commence on building the freeway and the Bushnell Road interchange (facing north)

u8624.jpg

u8625.jpg

u8626.jpg

And here's an image of the interchange, completed (facing west).

u8627.jpg

That does it for this update. I'll be back with Phase 3B soon, which will go up to the Ashcroft Street interchange.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

RL reared its head up a good bit before I could get into my planned conclusion of this construction arc, but with a little bit of a respite, I'm finally back with the concluding arc of this "spurt" of updates--the Chemeketa Parkway project.

215chemeketapkwyphase2p.png

Project Map

The Chemeketa Parkway Project will complete a "quarter-loop" freeway connection, between downtown Chemeketa's Division/Commerce Street couplet and Highway 15 (the West Oregon Freeway) through North Chemeketa, partially using the existing alignment of Highway 219.

Phase 1 of the project updated the 2-lane stretch of Highway 219 between 28th Avenue NE and 52nd Avenue NE (Highway 221) to an access-controlled freeway with grade-separated interchanges at 39th and 52nd Avenues and a RIRO (right-in/right-out) at 33rd Avenue.

Phase 2 of the project will build a new stretch of freeway parallel to existing Highway 219 between 52nd and 71st Avenues with 3 travel lanes in each direction, as well as a new interchange at 71st Avenue, which will be re-aligned to connect into the existing northern segment of Highway 219 that heads toward Windsor. As the alignment of the Chemeketa Parkway from this point diverges from the initial routing of Highway 219, ORDOT has decided to truncate Highway 219 to the new interchange at 71st Avenue and assign Highway 215 to the Chemeketa Parkway and Division/Commerce Streets between Highway 36 and Highway 15.

This is an existing stretch of 71st Avenue NE (facing north). The construction work there marks the alignment of the new Chemeketa Parkway.

u851.jpg

Here is the existing curve on Highway 219 just south of its intersection with 71st Avenue (facing north). The work on the left side of the screen represents ground clearing in preparation for the Chemeketa Parkway (now Highway 215). The work on the right is for a frontage road that will, at least for the time being, connect 59th Avenue with 71st Avenue.

u852.jpg

More work underway at 71st and the future parkway (facing north). The radio station there will be forced to relocate in order to make way for the new Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI).

u853.jpg

u854.jpg

71st Avenue has been closed off for construction purposes (facing north). It will be re-aligned to the west of the interchange, where it will connect into the existing northern segment of Highway 219, and the segment to the east will be widened and partially elevated. Motorists can use 52nd Avenue, 59th Avenue, or Progress Street/Bushnell Road to Withnall Way in order to access Highway 219 in the interim.

u855.jpg

More preparations for the new interchange (facing east).

u856.jpg

The elevated structure for the actual interchange itself has been constructed (facing north) and awaits further connections.

u857.jpg

u858.jpg

East of the new SPUI, 71st has been widened to 4 lanes and placed on an embankment, eliminating the at-grade rail crossing (facing north).

u859.jpg

Grading west of the interchange on the new connection to Highway 219 (facing north).

u8510.jpg

Paving on the new stretch of the parkway (facing north).

u8511.jpg

Here, you can see the existing alignment of Highway 219 near its intersection with 59th Avenue NE and the end of Phase 1 work, with the right-of-way cleared for Highway 215 (facing north).

u8512.jpg

New and old collide, just south of the old 71st Avenue intersection (facing north).

u8513.jpg

A stretch of the new "jog" on Highway 215 (facing north).

u8514.jpg

This is where the new Highway 215 alignment will connect with the existing stretch of the Chemeketa Parkway/Highway 219, just south of the 52nd Avenue/Highway 221 interchange (facing north).

u8515.jpg

The ramps on the north side of the 52nd Avenue interchange have been closed, and existing Highway 219 has been detoured slightly to ease the construction of the connection (facing north).

u8516.jpg

The construction alignment at 59th Avenue (facing north). You can see that the new alignment is progressing quite nicely at this point.

u8517.jpg

Getting ready to connect the new alignment in (facing north).

u8518.jpg

The new alignment being connected into the 52nd Avenue interchange (facing north).

u8519.jpg

The old stretch of Highway 219 will be dead-ended here for the time being (facing north).

u8520.jpg

This is the new 71st interchange, finally open to traffic (facing north).

u8522.jpg

This is just north of the new 71st Avenue interchange (facing north). The highway currently just dead-ends at a barrier, but will be extended north (and eventually east) in the next two updates.

u8521.jpg

An overview of the big curve on the new Highway 215 alignment, with the frontage road connecting 59th up (facing north).

u8523.jpg

That does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities. We'll be looking at Phases 3 and 4 of the Chemeketa Parkway/Highway 215 in the next two updates, respectively. And if you looked at the map in detail, you should have some idea of what this will entail . . . lots of new interchanges to look forward to.

Hope you enjoyed it!

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back with more Tarkusian Cities . . . this time, a little bit smaller project in the same part of town.

Replies from the last update are up here.

chemeketapublicworkslog.png

Scarlet Street NE Extension Project

u84map.png

This project will connect the two disconnected segments of Scarlet Street NE, separated by Sorenson Creek by constructing a new bridge, and extend the street south of 39th Avenue NE, to an extended 32nd Way NE. Scarlet Street is a collector road that the City of Chemeketa has been gradually expanding with the intent of making it into a minor arterial, and in a later project, it will eventually be extended to connect with 19th Avenue NE.

This is the existing southern disconnected segment of Scarlet, accessed via 39th Ave (facing north). The city, thinking ahead, stipulated that the developers of the subdivision seen here build a stub for a potential future extension northward.

u841.jpg

The stub has been widened into a 3-lane configuration, and a signal has been installed at 39th (facing north). An initial stub on the southern extension down to 32nd has also been built.

u842.jpg

The northern and southern segments are still separated by Sorenson Creek (facing north).

u843.jpg

Crews work on a bridge over the creek (facing north).

u844.jpg

u845.jpg

u846.jpg

Now that the bridge has been constructed, work resumes on the Scarlet Street south of 39th (facing north).

u847.jpg

u848.jpg

This is the southern bounds of the project--the new intersection of 32nd Way and Scarlet Street (facing north).

u849.jpg

This is the intersection of 32nd Way NE and Sorenson Street NE, which was constructed during the realignments of the Rankine-Dallas Corridor project (facing north). 32nd Way is being extended west to meet up with the southern extension of Scarlet Street.

u8410.jpg

The intersection of 39th and Scarlet with the southern extension mostly in place (facing north).

u8411.jpg

The new intersection of 32nd Way and Scarlet, with a stub in place for the eventual further extension of Scarlet (facing north).

u8412.jpg

And that does it for this update--hope you enjoyed it! Next time, we'll be looking at a really big project--the next phase of the Chemeketa Parkway.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

First off, Happy New Year to all of you! At any rate, I'm back with the first Tarkusian Cities update of 2012, which will involve the construction of a brand new interchange.

Replies to last update are also now up here.

39thavebanner.png

This project will rebuild the overpass of 39th Avenue NE in Chemeketa over the West Oregon Freeway (Highway 15) into a Single-Point Urban Interchange, and widen and rebuild several intersections along 39th Ave NE, within the Interchange Area Management Plan (IAMP) zone:

u83map.th.png

The Halpert District in Northeast Chemeketa is an especially fast-growing part of the city, home to an increasing number of high-tech companies, and is also seeing considerable residential growth to the west. In order to help better facilitate freight movement in this veritable crossroads of commerce, not only locally, but intrastate and interstate, ORDOT has decided to build a new interchange at the city's request along Highway 15, the main north-south freeway that runs through Olympus, Willamette and Siskiyou states.

Currently, the main access to the Halpert District from Highway 15 is at the 52nd Avenue NE interchange, with subsidiary access to the north end of the district at the 71st Avenue NE interchange. As there are plans for large-scale high-tech industrial development in the southern reaches of the district, ORDOT has decided to site the interchange at 39th Avenue, which already has an existing overpass, and is adequately spaced from the 16th Avenue NE and 52nd Avenue interchanges NE. The necessity of this interchange is further heightened by recent residential growth in the southwestern reaches of the IAMP.

This is the existing 39th Avenue NE overpass, looking north. It dates back to the time when the current freeway alignment of Highway 15 was first constructed, and only carries two travel lanes. It is adequate at present, but is projected to drop below a satisfactory Level of Service (LOS) within the next 5 years, possibly sooner.

u831.jpg

This is the existing stretch of 39th Avenue just west of the overpass, looking north. The two intersections seen (from left-to-right) are Mosby Road NE and Aldrin Way NE.

u832.jpg

This is the existing intersection of 39th Avenue/Bernard Way and Halpert Road, facing north. As you can see, it has an essentially rural quality to it, a quality which the traffic volumes have outgrown.

u833.jpg

Looking north, the overpass has been closed off for construction, and demolition begins. Traffic on 39th between Mosby and Halpert must detour via 52nd Ave or 16th Ave.

u834.jpg

u835.jpg

u836.jpg

u837.jpg

Grading begins on the widened 39th Avenue overpass, facing west. 39th Avenue will be widened to 4 travel lanes between Mosby and Halpert, and the re-alignment of the Hudson Road/Bernard Way intersection to the east will extend the 4-lane section farther.

u838.jpg

Work on the 39th/Aldrin intersection, just west of Highway 15, looking west.

u839.jpg

u8310.jpg

Work begins on grading the widened eastern portion of 39th, looking west.

u8311.jpg

A boatload of cranes are in place, and work begins on building the new overpass and interchange, looking north.

u8312.jpg

The main structure for the SPUI, including ramps from the freeway, is now more or less in place, facing north. Work commences on building the rest of the overpass and connection to 39th Ave.

u8314.jpg

u8315.jpg

u8316.jpg

Ongoing work at 39th and Halpert, facing north. Both roads will be widened to 4 lanes with dual-left turn lanes at the intersection.

u8317.jpg

The improved intersection at 39th and Aldrin, facing north.

u8318.jpg

The SPUI is now more or less ready to open, though the segment of 39th to the east, between the interchange and Halpert Road is still closed for widening (facing north).

u8320.jpg

Paving is ongoing on Halpert and the east segment of 39th (facing north).

u8322.jpg

Traffic on Halpert has been detoured onto a temporary roadway while the new intersection is constructed (facing north).

u8323.jpg

u8324.jpg

The intersection is now open and ready for whatever development may come its way (facing north).

u8325.jpg

The SPUI open for business and doing its job (facing north).

u8326.jpg

That does it for this project. Next update, we'll be looking at the Scarlet Street extension, followed by the last "chapter" of the spurt: a big ol' freeway project. Hope you enjoyed this update!

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

It's time to continue the holiday construction blitz! This update we'll be looking at the conclusion of the 52nd Avenue widening project in Chemeketa. Replies are up on the last update as well.

52nd Avenue NE Corridor Widening Project: Phase 3 (Scarlet to Ashcroft)

Phase 3 of the 52nd Avenue NE Widening Project will widen the section of 52nd from Scarlet Street NE (the west end point of Phase 2), west to Ashcroft Street NE, from 4 to 6 travel lanes, with a center left-turn lane along some stretches.

Here's a map overviewing the three phases of the project (click to see up-close):

u8252ndmap.png

There's a couple hints on there as to the next projects to be undertaken.

This is the intersection of 52nd and Tamarack Street NE, roughly at the midpoint of Phase 3 (facing north). Tamarack is a collector route that serves as the main access to many subdivisions in the area, and is the only signalized intersection between Ashcroft and Scarlet along 52nd. Construction is already under way here.

u822.jpg

This is at the intersection of 52nd and Willow (facing east). In order to make way for the widened roadway, there will need to be some . . . ahem . . . demolition.

u823.jpg

u824.jpg

This is at 52nd and Ashcroft, the western limits of the project (facing east). As you can see, the right-of-way (ROW) is being prepped for the widened 52nd Avenue, which will also entail some demolition.

u825.jpg

u826.jpg

In order to better facilitate work on the existing 52nd Avenue travel lanes, crews have paved up a section of the new ROW and diverted traffic onto it. This is facing east, at the Ashcroft intersection.

u828.jpg

Here's where traffic is being detoured back onto the old ROW for the time being, just east of the Tamarack intersection (facing east).

u829.jpg

Work underway at the Tamarack intersection (facing east), with the old ROW partially repaved. A temporary access route from the new ROW allows access to commercial properties near the intersection.

u8211.jpg

The widening is largely completed at the western extent of the project now, at 52nd and Ashcroft (facing east).

u8212.jpg

This is at 52nd and Willow, post-widening (facing east).

u8214.jpg

This is at 52nd and Tamarack, post-widening (facing east).

u8215.jpg

Later, soundwalls were installed for the subdivisions to the north, and the widening attracted commercial development to the south (facing east).

u8216.jpg

Commercial development was also attracted to the 52nd and Ashcroft intersection as well (facing east).

u8221.jpg

More new development near 52nd and Willow, including the newest addition to the Chemeketa Park Department, Willow Park (facing east).

u8219.jpg

And as mentioned on the map and during Phase 2 construction, here's what happened to the 52nd/Sorenson intersection--it was converted into a Right-In/Right-Out (RIRO) setup, allowing access to/from eastbound 52nd. Access to westbound 52nd must take place at 52nd and Scarlet or 52nd and Rankine.

u821.jpg

That does it for this update of Tarkusian Cities and the 52nd Avenue Corridor Project. We'll be onto the Highway 15/39th Avenue interchange project next time.

An interesting fact: this is the 25th entry dealing with the Chemeketa region, tying it with Argentum for the most focused-on region in Tarkusian Cities. Next update, Chemeketa will break that record.

-Tarkus

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, after a long hiatus, Tarkusian Cities is back. I want to thank all of my readers for their patience and support, and the thoughtful comments and encouragement several of you left in response to my last "wall of text" about the future of TC. I have decided to "go with the grain" and basically take advantage of the natural "spurt-and-hiatus" flow of things here.

While RL is a little less hectic, as is the case right now, I'm going to try to squeeze in a rapid-fire "spurt" of updates before things flare up again. What this means is that I'll be updating things here somewhat regularly during the holidays, until early January, mostly focusing on construction projects in North Chemeketa. Then Tarkusian Cities will be on a planned hiatus, probably until April, though you might see bits of new stuff in "Show Us Your Interchanges" and the like as time permits in between then.

The first of these "rapid-fire" updates will, at long last, resume the 52nd Avenue NE widening project.

52nd Avenue NE Corridor Widening Project: Phase 2 Continued (Mosby to Scarlet)

In case anyone needs to refresh themselves with the lay of the land, here's the most recent full region transport map of Chemeketa. There's one item you won't yet see on here . . . the Scarlet Street NE extension south of 52nd Avenue.

As we left off last time, 52nd Avenue NE had been closed off just west of the Rankine Lane NE intersection, at Sorenson Creek, for bridge work seen underway here (facing east).

u811.jpg

u812.jpg

While the city has encouraged motorists to use 39th Ave NE or 71st Ave NE as detours, quite a few folks have instead opted for Eriksen Way NE, an east-west collector route just north of 52nd, and have successfully clogged it up--here's looking at the intersection of Eriksen and Rankine (facing east).

u813.jpg

This is at Eriksen Way NE and Scarlet Street NE (facing east). As you can see, it's fairly clogged up as well . . . and because of the Scarlet Street extension south of 52nd, the city's already started making some preparations for a right-turn lane from Eriksen EB onto Scarlet SB. More improvements for Eriksen are planned, though the city has not yet identified funding for the project.

u814.jpg

Bridge work continues (facing east). Sorenson Creek actually had to be re-routed slightly in order to accommodate the wider bridge. (Before anyone asks, those T21 trees are a personal "tweak" of jackxu's AVE-2 mod.)

u815.jpg

u816.jpg

Here's the "choke point" where the already widened section of 52nd narrows down, just west of Mosby Road NE (facing east).

u817.jpg

Work on connecting the new bridge up to the eastern segment of 52nd (facing east). That intersection there is 52nd and Rankine. In order to minimize the environmental impact of having to slightly divert Sorenson Creek, a wetlands mitigation pond has been constructed at the southwest corner of the intersection.

u818.jpg

And now the bridge is open (facing east).

u8115.jpg

The improved intersection at 52nd and Aldrin Way NE (facing east). The turn lanes are so new the city crews haven't even painted the arrows.

u8116.jpg

52nd and Scarlet post-construction (facing east).

u8112.jpg

52nd and Rankine post-construction (facing east). You might recognize this image--it's actually the NWM download promo shot.

u8118.jpg

And a related project--here's where the Scarlet Street extension currently ends, at Sorenson Creek (facing east). As you can see, however, some advanced planning when the subdivision south of the creek (accessed via 39th Ave NE) means there's already a road stub in place for the southern segment. We'll be looking at that soon, along with Phase 3 (of 3) of the 52nd Avenue NE Project (from Scarlet to Ashcroft), the Highway 15/39th Avenue interchange, and the extension of the Chemeketa Parkway.

u8114.jpg

Hope the new update was an enjoyable read for you--there will be more to come quite soon!

-Alex (Tarkus)