• Views

About this City Journal

Entries in this City Journal

spursrule14

Behind the scenes..

aciwbanner.png

REPLIES

hahei

it was taken in A City in Winter of course!

elavery

thank you! see Hellken's comment on the last entry

Fox, ggamgus, B.C builder, NMUSpidey, wwetom1, Hellken

thank you all!

acirtinwinterflag.png

Work%20In%20Progress.jpg

WARNING!!!!!

YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER A SNEAK PEEK INTO THE MAKING OF A SANDBOX SNOWBOX CITY!

YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE ICY BROWN BOXES, LOTS THAT HAVEN'T BEEN EDITED YET TO REMOVE THE TREES, BARREN TERRAIN WHERE THE CITY HASN'T BEEN BUILT OUT YET, AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE!

VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!!!

BUT FIRST, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING DISCLAIMER:

*Originally, this image was for spursrule's eyes only! It's one of his 'test' images where he looks at what he's done in the context of what he wants the end result to look like. Frequently, he ends up bulldozing buildings that he doesn't think quite fit the intended look in the end result.

But, he really liked his latest test image so much that he wanted to show it, and to do something a little different by taking you behind the scenes!

The most significant thing about this image, is that he was using it to test the 'anchoring ability' of the tallest skyscraper and most revered landmark in the entire city - Winter Tower! Yes, its architects and city planners (aka spursrule) would have you believe that it looks like an inverted icicle! But in the grand scheme of things, it's basically the focal point and unifying center of the entire city. But, please do beware that in this picture you'll also see diagonal avenues, the hockey arena where the NHL team plays, Soviet-style architecture, and more snowflakes.

IF YOU CHOOSE TO PROCEED, CLICK THE IMAGE TO VIEW FULL-SIZE...

acityinwinternov2320041.png

MORE TO COME...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sequel to the 2011 Best Sci-Fi CJ

aw2sigsmall.png

NOW SHOWING AT A SIMTROPOLIS NEAR YOU

--------------------------------------------------

spursrule14

aciwbanner.png

:party:

HAPPY 2013!!

Thank you for all the views (over 3,000!) and comments on The Twelve Days of Christmas, it was fun experimenting and trying some new things to help ring in the holiday time. Now, on to 2013! Here's to a new year, and to the newest and most modern district in all A City in Winter.

-spursrule14

REPLIES

Fox

yes, looking back on it i think that if was to change any of the pictures it would have been this one..but glad you still liked it, i still do too haha

ggamgus

don't forget to dress warmly when going outside ;)

metarvo

me too...i never experience a true winter where i live, so imaging a city where it's always winter really is like another world to me

newyorka

thanks! and i photoshopped the lights

Bluthlucidity

to tell you would be giving away the secret ingredients

NMUSpidey

thanks! here's the sunken highway:

Mithrik, 111222333444

yes, looking back on it i think i may have gone a little crazy with the contrast lol

tslater

i photoshopped them from real pictures...too bad they're not really SC4 props :(

mystic_destiny, kakado_to_save, Schulmanator, Hiigarar, raynev1, MilitantRadical, ThomasSimpson, Tekindus, SimCoug, Leszscyk, Forthwall, Evillions, Kifflom12, woodnava, Za, demon_W

thank you all!

acirtinwinterflag.png

A CITY IN WINTER

canaldistrictlogo.png

There is so much history in the city, that one may forget it exists in modern times. Canal District will remind you. In 1985, work began to widen the small Deinschwang River between Towne Centre and the Winter King District in order to develop the city's first modern urban area. The plan also called for the construction of a new convention center, and the burying of Canadian Avenue in order to make room for it. Many city leaders at the time thought the plan was absurd and unrealistic. They were wrong.

Construction on the canal took ten years to complete, as there were only certain times out of the year that the water was not frozen and work could be done. However, in those ten years, construction on the park, boardwalk and anchoring buildings was completed. In 1990, the James S. Convention Center was completed, and Canadian Ave. had gone below ground level. In 1995, to coincide with the completion of the canal, two residential towers opened. The park and canal saw success, and tourists and residents alike braved the cold in order to sit at one of the many wooden tables overlooking the beautiful and (during most times of the year) frozen canal. The 2000s saw another boom for the district, and for city tourism as well. In 2003, the Grand Hyatt A City in WinteR, the largest hotel in the city, opened on the banks of the canal. 2004 saw the construction of two twin office buildings located on the park grounds, which has become home to the A City in Winter Convention & Visitors Bureau. In 2005, the Williamson Museum of Ice and Winter Art opened on the canal, and has long been a favorite of tourists. The most recent addition to the park though is one that nearby residents get the most enjoyment out of. Just last year, the subterranean Apple Store Canal Park opened, and has since been dubbed the 'ice cube' by locals. Starbucks can be found at the park as well.

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW FULL-SIZE

(A City in Winter Convention & Visitors Bureau - top left; James S. Convention Center - bottom left; Apple Store Canal Park - top center; Williamson Museum of Ice and Winter Art - right; Grand Hyatt A City in Winter - bottom right)

canaldistrictpreviewbig.jpg

MORE TO COME...

spursrule14

aciwbanner.png

now over 1000 views per entry..even though there hasn't been an update since february! thank you all for the continued views

:yes:

-spursrule14

REPLIES

ggamgus

thank you! yes it is very cold here...likely even unrealistic for such a city to exist here...but what if one did? what if one could? would it be a magical place?

NMUSpidey

are you talking about the sunken highway?

simcity pictures would be way too boring! ;)

emperordaniel

something is wrong with your A key haha!

Kruness

thanks!

acirtinwinterflag.png

A CITY IN WINTER

THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

The Twelve Days of Christmas have been celebrated for centuries, yet in A City in Winter, they take on an entirely different meaning. Instead of celebrating the days after Christmas, the city celebrates the twelve days before, with different festivals and spirited events each day.

Some say Santa lives in the old enclave on Winter Hill. Some say the old boys school in North End is really his workshop.

Many come. None forget.

*As part of the celebration, a new image will be added to this entry each day starting December 14th and concluding Christmas Day. This entry will be re-published each day when a new image has been added.*

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

please view full-size!

DAY 1

(Merchant Plaza)

12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS2012-day1BIG.jpg

DAY 2

(Château)

12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS2012-day2BIG.jpg

DAY 3

(Frederick Village)

12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS2012-day3BIG.jpg

DAY 4

(King Charles I District & Winter Hill)

*look closely and you can see smoke rising from some of the chimneys*

12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS2012-day4BIG.jpg

DAY 5

(Montferrand District & Angel of the Winter Cross)

12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS2012-day5BIG.jpg

DAY 6

(St. Andrew's School for Boys/History of Christmas Museum)

12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS2012-day6BIG.jpg

DAY 7

(Saint Andrew Park)

12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS2012-day7-Bbig.jpg

Hello everyone, you may have been wondering why the pictures have been late coming. Well, the world did not end on Friday, and I wasn't abducted by aliens or anything like that lol...I just simply have become creatively exhausted by this. So for my own mental health, I'm ending this here on Day 7. Thank you to everyone who viewed and commented on this entry. I am blown away by the number of views this entry got. I hope that viewing these pictures got you into the Christmas spirit, and transported you into another world where your imagination could run free. I have added a poll now, and please vote, because I'd like to see which ones were the favorites.

:yes:

I will formally reply to all the comments in the next update. For now, I think I'm going to take a little break from SC4 and enjoy Christmas! I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas as well.

-spursrule14

DAY 8

(Check back December 21)

DAY 9

(Check back December 22)

DAY 10

(Check back December 23)

DAY 11

(Check back Christmas Eve)

DAY 12

(Check back Christmas Day)

MORE TO COME...

spursrule14

Merchant Plaza

aciwbanner.png

REPLIES

Tekindus

yes i agree, but where maxis has failed, photoshop has succeeded!

emperordaniel, 10000000000000, escilnavia, Schulmanator, NMUSpidey

thanks to all of you!!

acirtinwinterflag.png

A CITY IN WINTER

MERCHANT PLAZA

Perhaps no other place in the city can boast of the history that Merchant Plaza does. The diagonal stone-paved walkway was the first street in the city. Many people traveled it as they bought from German merchants and their tiny shops lining the street. Merchant Plaza also witnessed the iconic Yager & Hayle Tower go up in their place. That was right before the Depression, which the growing city fought better than most, but still left many people without work and hope. When the Depression was over and the American economy recovered, Merchant Plaza witnessed countless businessmen who would leave work in the afternoon at the Yager & Hayle and walk straight across the street to the Winter Club building to play card games, instead of going straight home to their families. Perhaps the need to visit the Winter Club was a bad habit they could not shake from the Prohibition days. Today, however, Merchant Plaza is no longer a street, but a historic artery beginning at Prince Rupert's Gate and running south through the heart of Towne Centre to Tower of the Great North and the James S. Convention Center, renown for its hallways that "float" above the sunken Canadian Ave.

WARNING: LARGE IMAGES, MAY TAKE A BIT TO DOWNLOAD

please view full-size!

(view of Merchant Plaza; James S. Convention Center at upper left; looking south)

ACiWmerchantplaza2.jpg

(view of Merchant Plaza; Tower of the Great North at right; looking north)

ACiWmerchantplaza1.jpg

MORE TO COME...

spursrule14

aciwbanner.png

REPLIES

yarahi, Fox

thanks for suggesting those..i have them but it still wasn't giving me the look i was wanting

acirtinwinterflag.png

A CITY IN WINTER

SAINT ANDREW OF THE ETERNAL WINTER

Old and weathered, yet still housing a message of hope delivered every Sunday for over a century, Saint Andrew of the Eternal Winter Belfry and Church is one of the most visited sites in the entire city. The church, belonging to the Episcopalian denomination, was built in 1888. Citizens, congregants, and tourists alike enjoy gathering around the church and in the surrounding park. The bells in the tower still ring every day at noon and midnight.

WARNING: LARGE IMAGE, MAY TAKE A BIT TO DOWNLOAD

please view full-size!

(view of St. Andrew's & Prince Rupert's Gate; looking west)

ACiWstandrew1.jpg

MORE TO COME...

spursrule14

North End

aciwbanner.png

REPLIES

Tekindus

actually i hadn't put anything in that area yet..but when i saw it pop up on the stex i knew that's what i had been holding out for!

NMUSpidey

after searching the STEX and LEX trying to find the kind of people props i wanted, and not finding them lol, a light bulb went off in my head to just photoshop people to scale into the picture!!!

avrelivs, ggamgus, emperordaniel, Schulmanator, skyscraper241, JGellock, MamaLuigi

thanks for the comments guys! ...more images of Prince Rupert's Gate coming soon

acirtinwinterflag.png

A CITY IN WINTER

NORTH END

Today, we look at some images from the area of the city known as North End. North End is home to many historic, and still active, manufacturing plants and warehouses. The area makes up the northern city limit and transitions directly into the beginnings of the tundra. Historic Rue Rivard street separates North End from Towne Centre.

please view full-size!

(view of manufacturing plants north of Towne Centre; looking west)

update2abig.jpg

(view of Towne Centre & Rue Rivard area; historic office & tenement buildings; looking south)

update2bbig.jpg

MORE TO COME...

spursrule14

Prince Rupert's Gate

aciwbanner.png

REPLIES

ggamgus, Tekindus

yes, the winters can be harsh because of the temperatures, but not because of precipitation..supposedly in real life this area only gets about six feet of snow a year, which is a lot less than i would have thought!!..average annual temperatures of this area is between -10 & -5°C/15 & 23°F

emperordaniel, escilnavia

thanks guys!! i'm really trying to do something on an epic and large scale with this CJ..i want the city to truly feel alive and the viewer to be able to look at the pictures and feel like they are really down in the city experiencing it

In Soviet Russia, jakis, NMUSpidey, penguin1634

thanks for commenting and i'm glad all of you are excited and looking forward to it..i am too!

acirtinwinterflag.png

A CITY IN WINTER

PRINCE RUPERT'S GATE

From 1670 to 1860, the land sold by the British to the United States was once known as Rupert's Land. Governed by the Hudson Bay Company for nearly 200 years, the British territory was named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, first governor of the Hudson Bay Company and nephew of Charles I of England. Prince Rupert was also of German descent, notably being the son of German prince Frederick V, palatinate of the Rhine territories in Germany from 1610-1623. Near the early 1890s, German settlers living in A City in Winter owned most of the businesses in historic Towne Centre. With a surplus of wealth, and a desire to build a grand entrance to their bustling empire, business leaders decided to erect a statue and a plaza on the empty land across from the historic St. Andrew of the Eternal Winter belfry and church. With their lineage tracing back to the Rhine territories once governed by Frederick V, and having now colonized a land once named after his son, the leaders decided to build the monument in honor of Prince Rupert. Completed in 1891, Prince Rupert of the Rhine Gate (or simply, Prince Rupert's Gate) has stood for over 100 years as the crowning entrance into the heart of the city.

More history:

Rupert's Land

Prince Rupert of the Rhine

Frederick V, Elector Palatine

WARNING: LARGE IMAGE, MAY TAKE A BIT TO DOWNLOAD

please view full-size!

(view of Towne Centre & historic Prince Rupert's Gate; looking east)

update2cBIG.jpg

MORE TO COME...

spursrule14

Welcome

aciwbanner.png

acirtinwinterflag.png

A CITY IN WINTER

WELCOME

In 1856, the United Kingdom sold a vast territory of land near Hudson Bay in present-day Quebec to the United States of America for a mere $50,000,000. In 1860, the land was made an official territory by the United States, and immigrants were encouraged by the government to settle there in order to help alleviate the overcrowding of New York City. By the turn of the 20th century, French, Dutch, German, and American settlers had founded a sizable township, but the town was without a name. In order to appease everyone, the town was given a simple and indifferent name - A City in Winter. Today, this charming and historic center of commerce and tourism is anything but simple and indifferent. The city, blanketed in winter nearly year-round, has become a romantic escape of beauty, wilderness, and timeless architecture from two continents.

A City in Winter has seen steady growth in population over the last century, and currently has a population of 379,823. The city's largest industries are manufacturing, tourism, and ice fishing in Hudson Bay to the west. One of the most urban and dense cities in the world, A City in Winter is landlocked and centered in a basin valley between a land of rolling hills and sparse communities. Residents enjoy direct flights to Toronto, Quebec, Ottawa, Boston, and New York City via the William Smith International Airport, as does the city's only professional sports team - the NHL Arctics.

aciwmap.png

please view full-size!

(view of Towne Centre; historic Banker's Trust Building & Hotel at upper left; Yager & Hayle Tower lower right; looking north)

update1aBIG.jpg

(view of Towne Centre; historic Winter Club building at left; Yager & Hayle Tower and Merchant Plaza in back; looking east)

update1bBIG.jpg

MORE TO COME...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0