• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Experiments to grow into a great Sim City player

Entries in this City Journal

Mikimoto26

I'm experimenting with road placement in terms of traffic flow:

I took lots of pictures to show the progress of each zone placement and road extension

The First development:

EYRMX.jpg

After some time, no more houses came in, so I laid out where the next pod of residential would be.

I figured I would have more success if I knew where the residential would go and then I could just base the commercial along the main roads

NmGRg.png

To the right of the zoned residential, I planned for all commercial, but it didn't look good, so I took it out and made a smaller area

Uf8Bo.png

To keep the areas separated, I added parks and plazas. I don't like the result, and I doubt I'd do that in the future, it looks weird.

The other area would be on the other side of the main road. I thought ping ponging back and forth over this main road would lead to even development. But I didn't want to do square swirl residential for all the pods, so I made a terrible shape instead

Zn3xu.png

Commercial demand started to taper off, so I held off on zoning along the main road to the left of the new residential area above.

Not sure what I wanted to do next, so I killed time and planted tons of different trees. Not realistic by any means, but I'm not worried about that

A9l2f.jpg

I began to put in a sea port and harbor stuff....

and the game crashed.......

but I got something out of this:

Create residential pods off main roads, with 2 -3 connections to that main road.

Mikimoto26

6. Whistler's Coast

This is my first time playing a large tile. I typically avoid them because I found that all that empty space was overwhelming and I didn't know what to do with it.

For this city I began in the way I used to, a large grid that would allow 3x3 buildings to come up.

jPPR7.png

The left edge is connected to Lion's Beach by road and rail.

The majority of this city is made up of commercial development. And there is still demand for more.

Though there is industry - No one really works there. It's just for freight

3pcr7.png

Most residential areas (apart from the original large grid) are shaped in 1x1 tiles around a center square.

Traffic can become heavy, but it's nothing too serious now. Though I am worried about it.

UvbMn.png

If you notice how the residential and the commercial (where everyone works) lay next to one another, there is no room for rail. Should I be thinking of subways at this point? Or should I really have thought ahead to plan for high traffic from these residential pods.

9ppQi.png

Out of all areas, this one turned out the best. Again, it is my typical L shaped 1x1 residential around a cemetery

The little European apartments look great! (IMO)

CHQOD.png

Though I promised I wouldn't do this, I did it again and laid down double roads in preparation for 2 avenues that would run through the entire town.

R8iNj.png

Every time I zone for more commercial, it seems like every single sim at the opposite end of town wants to work there!

Also with the photo above, I was planning residential expansion with more of those round pods.

They would be placed on either end of that area of commercial that juts out.

Would you recommend any building strategies to keep the area free of bad traffic? Or perhaps I should put new residential elsewhere on this tile.....

HELP!

Mikimoto26

5. Lion's Beach

I was going to use Lion's Beach as an experimental city, but then I liked where it was going. The only thing, is that no matter what, there is always a huge demand for commercial.

Q8g0V.png

So I zone more commercial, and they want more.

After a while I decided to ignore my sims and I made another little village off to the side and surrounded it by farms

WQmDe.png

I connected the two sections of city by roads and rail. Few sims from the village commute into town because I began the little area with its own jobs nearby.

Back in town, the mayor took the advice to use more custom content, and the results are ugly

JmgO3.png

Also in this city, I tried using 2 separate rail lines that allow for freight and commuter lines to stay separate.

Beyond that this city was just a stepping stone for it's only neighbor: Whistler's Coast

Mikimoto26

4. Langley

This formerly little town south of Pegg Bank is the home to many of my experiments

Here is an overview of my entire city of 18K sims so far:

yy8jg.jpg

I have added an avenue going around my little city to experiment with the effect a high capacity road would have. My commute time went from 30 to below 4. (There are no busses or subways)

One of the best residential areas is this here:

80cyF.png

It is right between two areas of commercial development, and there's quite a bit of traffic (hence the roads) but everyone seems to be happy living there

The worst area is actually the old town center. This is the first development and it has the worst ratings overall:

BRcdf.png

The best development really goes to the commercial area right by the new avenue. For some reason, all the traffic funneled right to these shops here, even before the avenue was built

cOPBa.png

One area I am proud of is this area of residential. I modeled it after the area almost identical to this one that is located in Pegg Bank. Though this little areas has worse traffic problems. I am thinking it is because there is no bus system in this city

OTYAn.png

And just for fun, here is a picture of my NAM disaster area:

G6Ccs.png

Mikimoto26

3. Odeon

Odeon is the town north of Pegg Bank. These two cities share connections by road. Though there are cities north, east, and west of Odeon, I am hesitant to connect them due to the infinite commuter loop that I always fall into.

Want to see how much of a beginner I am:

9i9xH.png

There it is, my glorious attempt at avenue roundabouts. Since city planning failed me before, I have been trying to avoid preplanning roads and avenues. I don't think it is working looks-wise.

The town as a whole looks like this:

HCWWr.jpg

It is a little city on a medium tile. There are roughly 12K sims here and a budget of 1.4 million simoleons. You can see my major roadways. There aren't too many of them.

The majority of traffic flows down to get across the border to Pegg Bank (even though there are plenty of commercial and industrial jobs within this tile)

I always have the problem of commuters when I connect cities. Even if both cities are the same size, and have the same jobs, the sims will commute to the other city to work. They WANT a long commute time. They're stupid.

The only area I am proud of in this city is this:

MI1AY.png

The residential streets are in an L shape around the cemetery. All the buildings came in nicely and there isn't much of a traffic problem here. Attempts at duplicating this system have not gone well

That being said, most of the residential areas looks like this and have major traffic issues:

OsfD0.png

This place needs a major face lift, but I'm not a licensed doctor. I just don't want to end up injecting cement into the wrong places...

Mikimoto26

2. Pegg Banks (Part 2)

Here is a view of the most recent addition to Pegg Bank

pSoDD.jpg

As you can see above, the university was placed by the water in the narrowing of the land north of the river.

If you look at the little overall map in the corner, you can see there is a little town on the south bank. They are not connected, though they do share power. I have kept them completely separate as an experiment in the 2 villages in the same city tile. Together they make a city of around 22K Sims.

jyrPw.png

This was the original beginning of Pegg Bank. I started as I usually did with wider zoning and in a grid. As you can see, the majority of that land turned to mansions once water was introduced.

The majority of traffic centers around this area:

7IM2Y.png

With sims commuting down to commercial or over to the high tech industrial area above the university.

Traffic is not my strong point, though I would like to experiment with rail lines eventually.

Here is the city overview:

Wcmql.png

I'm not sure if I want to keep expanding or leave it for another tile...

Mikimoto26

1. Pegg Bank

Pegg Bank began as an experiment in city building using techniques that would prevent the Infinite Commuter Loop, an issue this Mayor has always dealt with.

Named for the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car on the episode of Top Gear at the time, Simon Pegg.

This coastal town began with 4 little towns in a surrounding region, only one being connected by a single road to the north.

The town began along the coast, focusing on Manufacturing industry. Soon the growth spread to commercial and more people began to move in.

G5Znt.png

Currently plaguing the city is the mass of commercial buildings that have taken over the majority of the coast. As seen in the photo above, it is the same time of building over and over.

How can this city move beyond this sprawl of commercial?

With hardly 20K sims living in Pegg Bank, upgrading to high density commercial is not an option at this point, even with the healthy budget with a surplus of at east a few thousand over expenses.

Residential areas are compact, with the majority of buildings being constructed on a 1x1 tile.

3jmyT.png

The residential developments are created in pods of 10x10 with roads or streets 2 tiles apart to lead the 1x1 homes to the main street down the middle. That main street will lead directly to the commercial (where the majority of sims work)

WJIFL.png

How can this small city expand, knowing that the majority of land area will go to commercial builders?

Sign in to follow this  

volume5_md.pngPlease help us reach our September Goal!

Your contribution helps keep Simtropolis up and running!

Please consider a donation today.

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation goes to help us keep the site running free.

Enjoy the site!

OK - See STEX Collections