• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Ballystray (Báile Straith - the Town of Stray)

Entries in this City Journal

asteconn

It Begins

Dia daoibh a chairde, agus fáilte go an cathair Bhaile Straith iris.

Or, hello everyone, and welcome to the Ballystray city journal.

I'm starting and journalling this city from stratch - to give you all an idea of how I throw towns and cities together, and because it seems like jolly good fun!

The terrain used is the rather marvellous NHP Londonderry Northern Ireland map, which has Derry and a lot of the surrounding area ready for development.

My reason for this city is to have a crack at producing a Belfast style transport network, although no doubt I'll have far more train lines abouts.

Ballystray-1322782177.png

To start with, I am going to lay out the transport networks from what will be the most important settlement in the area - Ballystray. Geography comes first in such matters - I'm certainly not going to drive the roads about willy nilly. Generally, roads will follow the contours and avoid the really hilly parts.

River crossings make excellent points to start a settlement. To make this one extra awesome, here's one based on London's tower bridge.

BaileStraith-10May001322785370.png

After drawing some roads - we have this:

BaileStraith-10May001322786326.png

Next - Rail lines. Often this for me involves a hop out into the regional view so that I can plan the destinations that these lines will serve.

BaileStraith-10May001322788707.png

Now - Rail is quite a disruptive network in my opinion - if it wants to look good it takes quite a bit of planning and a lot of space at times. The same is true for RHW. As I plan to have a mostly-bypass in this city, mirroring the M1, M2, M3 and A12 in Belfast, I decided that I should place down the most potentially disruptive part of the network (the interchange between them all) down first.

I can see this interchange handling a lot of traffic, and deliberately so as I wish to tie in local roads here as well as free flowing between all of the main roads.

I had to rebuild some of my rail lines, as they were in the way of my planned southwards RHW. Although I did bash this rather cool looking flying junction together because of it:

BaileStraith-10May001322789977.png

And here's the junction so far:

BaileStraith-10May001322794618.png

And lastly - after much faffing about - here's the progress so far

BaileStraith-10May001322797782.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0