Sign in to follow this  
  • Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Ballystray (Báile Straith - the Town of Stray)

Entries in this City Journal

asteconn

It Begins

Dia daoibh a chairde, agus fáilte go an cathair Bhaile Straith iris.

Or, hello everyone, and welcome to the Ballystray city journal.

I'm starting and journalling this city from stratch - to give you all an idea of how I throw towns and cities together, and because it seems like jolly good fun!

The terrain used is the rather marvellous NHP Londonderry Northern Ireland map, which has Derry and a lot of the surrounding area ready for development.

My reason for this city is to have a crack at producing a Belfast style transport network, although no doubt I'll have far more train lines abouts.

Ballystray-1322782177.png

To start with, I am going to lay out the transport networks from what will be the most important settlement in the area - Ballystray. Geography comes first in such matters - I'm certainly not going to drive the roads about willy nilly. Generally, roads will follow the contours and avoid the really hilly parts.

River crossings make excellent points to start a settlement. To make this one extra awesome, here's one based on London's tower bridge.

BaileStraith-10May001322785370.png

After drawing some roads - we have this:

BaileStraith-10May001322786326.png

Next - Rail lines. Often this for me involves a hop out into the regional view so that I can plan the destinations that these lines will serve.

BaileStraith-10May001322788707.png

Now - Rail is quite a disruptive network in my opinion - if it wants to look good it takes quite a bit of planning and a lot of space at times. The same is true for RHW. As I plan to have a mostly-bypass in this city, mirroring the M1, M2, M3 and A12 in Belfast, I decided that I should place down the most potentially disruptive part of the network (the interchange between them all) down first.

I can see this interchange handling a lot of traffic, and deliberately so as I wish to tie in local roads here as well as free flowing between all of the main roads.

I had to rebuild some of my rail lines, as they were in the way of my planned southwards RHW. Although I did bash this rather cool looking flying junction together because of it:

BaileStraith-10May001322789977.png

And here's the junction so far:

BaileStraith-10May001322794618.png

And lastly - after much faffing about - here's the progress so far

BaileStraith-10May001322797782.png

Sign in to follow this  

volume5_md.pngURGENT! We need your help!

We urgently need your help to meet our September goal!

Please consider a donation today.

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation goes to help us keep the site running free.

Enjoy the site!

OK - See STEX Collections