Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The Maritimes You Never Heard About!

Entries in this City Journal

CGMozart118

@Houston_Fan : Good call - I've been playing with one, trying to get it to work. I guess that means it's time to organize the old Plug-Ins folder!

@evanm1487 : ...I...um...meant to do that? :boggle: Seriously, though, thanks - that's something I just flat out forgot I could do! Unfortunately, due to computers hating me, this batch of pictures lacks those mods - my plug-in folder is getting outrageous, so they're on hold until I get it under control.

And of course, thanks for everyone who took the time to view!

And now for something completely different...the river city of Housatonic!

The city of Housatonic was founded as a lumber town, taking advantage of the rich forests - so much so, in fact, that the entire area was completely deforested twice in its history. As a result of the second deforestation, the lumber industry moved on, and was replaced with textiles, bringing the city to its present-day size as thousands of people, mostly immigrant women and children, were employed by the textiles mills that lined the river. This too fizzled and died, and by 1930 the city was decaying.

Then came the Storm of '44. The River Housatonic burst its banks, exceeding flood stage by seventeen feet, inundating the banks and most of the south side. Thorvaldsson University, lying on an island in the river, was submerged, with students partying on rooftops until they were rescued - a term they disputed. This image was taken from a newsreel made a day later:

Housatonic10-1-1.jpg

All bridges were washed out in the city, with the south side particularly hard hit:

Housatonic8-1.jpg

The new sewage treatment plant, as well as the old mill district, was submerged, completely lost, as seen in this recently released aerial photo:

Housatonic9-1.jpg

Nearly a hundred people died, and many more were made homeless. But out of the devastation grew new impetus. The flood destroyed most of the industrial and commercial districts that had gone bust, and as buildings were gutted or torn down, entrepreneurs set up shop. A far-sighted view of city planning saw the city bloom. Mansions went up on Stony Hill, overlooking the city:

Housatonic2.jpg

While new industries opened shop along the "Tech Banks"

Housatonic1.jpg

Today, a rejuvenated city teems with energy and security - despite the occasional mishap and ne'er do well, as Officer Brennan demonstrates:

Housatonic4.jpg

And finally, a shot of the city at night, showing the enormous strides made since the flood:

Housatonic7.jpg

Hope you all enjoy, and thanks for viewing! Sometime this weekend we'll take a paddle downriver and explore the Huntington Metropolitan Area.

CGMozart118

Block Island

Thanks everyone who viewed and commented! Hope not to disappoint - so here's one of Vinlandia's smaller communities.

Block Island, like several similar geographic features around the world, is so named due to a small size which is belied by towering cliffs that surround 7/8 of the island.

BlockIsland1.jpg

When explorers first came to Vinlandia, local lore has it that the island was settled in part due to its ease of defense against pirates and privateers - only a small hill led down to the harbor, the rest of the island guarded by nature's walls.

BlockIsland6.jpg

Today, that harbor has grown through subsistence fishing to whaling to industry before finally settling as the main conduit for off-island traffic. the industrial docks serve the island's local industry, while a ferry makes thrice-daily runs to and from the mainland. Depending on the boat, it is either a one-hour or two-hour trip.

BlockIsland5.jpg

The local industry not involved in tourism is mainly farming, with most of the fields clinging to the edges of cliffs. Despite this, not one llama has fallen off in recorded history!

BlockIsland7.jpg

While down from its peak as a whaling settlement in the early 1800s, searching for white whales and exotic lands (among other things), Block Island still retains a small but vibrant community of 1,409. This swells to a peak of nearly 15,000 in summer months, with tourists eager to see the island's views.

BlockIsland3.jpg

One such destination is New South Lighthouse, so named because it is the second such structure built on the southern end of Block Island after the first was destroyed in a ferocious storm in 1848. The whitewashed structure is a local icon, and still shines each night, automated but attended by Old Salt Edgar, who maintains the grounds and gift shop.

BlockIsland2.jpg

(Flat Holm Light House, by HeXy. Phenomenal little BAT!)

"Go in a straight line south, and New South Light is the last man-made structure you'll see until you hit Antarctica!" Edgar proudly informs visitors, offering his rowboat to any adventurous young lads visiting, much to the chagrin of their parents!

Thanks for checking in - I'll update again soon with some of the larger cities. Next, we'll go to the Big Island, travel upstream and visit the vibrant city of Housatonic! Stay tuned for more!

CGMozart118

Hello all!

I decided after lurking for quite a long time that I should probably start contributing. While this is not even the meanest shadow of some of the amazing City Journals populating the site, I present my first CJ entitled "Vinlandia", about a region I've been working on for a good while now.

While settled by Native Americans in the distant mists of time, who called the group of islands "Natockete", it first came to European consciousness as one of the islands likely visited by Vikings around 980AD. They did not remain long but in the legends of the local tribes, who gleefully informed arriving French and English settlers that they were NOT, in fact, the first people to "discover" the island, giving them the name "Vinlandia" they had learned from the viking visitors. The French were the first to settle, in 1606, but after two harsh winters and incessant strife with the native inhabitants the settlements were abandoned for the comparably safer Newfoundland. The remains of these settlements were occupied by English settlers, who lived in peace with the natives for several years before the colony took on the characteristics seen in the rest of the new world.

Fast forward a couple centuries, and Vinlandia is an independent nation of 4,922,865 and growing, ready and eager to bring its motley collection of Yankee ingenuity and island hardscrabble grit to the modern world. Please join as we explore Vinlandia!

Vinlandia.jpg

"Vinlandia" is set in the massive region "Andera Islands", by Skimbo. Might as well say it here, this is an amazing region to play around with!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0