Sandalwood County

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Entries in this City Journal

_marsh_

Christmas

6 years and counting. This past year has seen more growth in the county yet. Over one-thousand people now reside within the town of Sandalwood, and nearing 500 in outlying areas of the county as a whole. The sixth year comes to a close though, the warm early-fall weather lasted longer than expected this year. Sandalwood being a normally colder place in the winter, this winter has been strangely mild. The first snow of the year has began to fall, very late though.

December 24th is officially the latest recorded first snowfall in the country.

11-1

Sandalwood Central Park was recently completed. It has changed the image of the town completely. The huge urban strip now the centerpiece of the town.

img1lij.jpg

11-2

The Domino Sugar Plant isn't one to skimp on the holidays, despite being in the far north of town. Set up in early May it is now Sandalwood's largest industrial producer, and provides the most income for the entire town. Many residents are still weary about the pollutant, but with all the income it has brought to Sandalwood so far, it looks as if more industry may be attracted.

img4w.jpg

11-3

Sandalwood has had many Christmas's before. This Christmas however the city council has set up the first town Christmas tree, right out front of city hall in the new Central Park.

img3eo.jpg

Flurries continued throughout the night. Partially covering the entire town by morning before the storm picked up. It may only be the first snowfall, but it couldn't have happened on a better day.

11-4

img5c.jpg

11-5

img2zx.jpg

_marsh_

5 Years; Quick Break

10-1

img1yw.jpg

10-2

5 years past since the start of the highway and the town continues to grow. Sandalwood Consolidated School has been completed. The old 1 room schoolhouse now torn down to make room for more expansion. It seems as if this is the first bad effect of the expansion. What the initial residents of the town feared. With growth comes problems this is known. Though the destruction of the towns history is more than frowned upon. By the Original residents at least.

Among other changes is the newly deemed 'Tooblock Park' has seem some activity. Originally the patch of trees outside of town is now in the middle of the towns main park, headed by city hall. Most of the trees now are torn down, though some will be left, to make way for the park. Paths, neatly trimmed grass, and other things may ensue. One thing is ceartain though, the town has already come a long way.

img2e.jpg

_marsh_

A Fair Farm in Fall

banneryg.jpg

Let us take a break from the town, shall we? :)

9-1

Expansion even out here. On the stretch of road between the I-16 offramp and Sandalwood. Sure not as much, but things are still changing. Even out here.

img1yt.jpg

9-2

The summer of the Four Year Mark has passed and the cool Autumn air takes over the landscape once again.

img2ht.jpg

9-3

Not too long ago a new organization set up in the county. The state said it would be best to set up a department of transportation. Especially after the massive length of highway through the region, as the other counties would have too much to manage. So the SDOT built it's first headquarters in the country. They chose the fork in the road, where Johnson has had his home for many years now.

img3rr.jpg

9-4

With this growth comes change. The recent surge of residents have created issues of 'land ownership'. Never a concern in Sandalwood until now. Many farmers have set up fences to keep their cows in when not watching them. Roaming laws are still free in the county. However that may change.

img5i.jpg

9-5

Behind old Johnsons place lies a strange sight. A swamp of sorts settled between massive boulders. Ones of which residents have no idea how they got there.

img7h.jpg

9-6

img8f.jpg

9-7

The rocks jut out of the ground like miniature monoliths surrounding the area below. Rain water accumulates in the ditch and becomes heaven for frogs and mosquitoes of the like.

img9is.jpg

9-8

The clear skies of the day close in and prepares for a cold front. The clouds thicken and the winds pick up. It wont be fall for much longer. Looks like Mr. Johnson down there should pack up his gear quick.

img11x.jpg

_marsh_

The Four Year Mark

bannerqts.jpg

8-1

It has been 4 years since the highway project through Sandalwood County began. The town 4 times over from the original 53 residents, now should be approaching the 200 mark by next year. This year, being the most different so far.

img1bt.jpg

8-2

Residents continue to surge into Sandalwood. Luckily, the newly elected mayor has been tackling the task of seeing that new development gets put in place correctly, and is not turned into a huge mess.

img2ms.jpg

8-3

A 3 block long strip of land has been deemed 'off-limits' through the edge of town. No one knows why the mayor did this, but most speculate it to be green space or a park. At the head of which lies the newly completed Town Hall.

img7i.jpg

8-4

The Sandalwood Townhall was just recently completed after construction started early February. With the rapidly growing rate of the town, the town council thought this would be the best move to make at the time. In the process, the first ever elections were held. Which elected long time resident Joseph Ferguson who ran unopposed.

img3ck.jpg

8-5

With the growing population, growing needs come in. A small diesel run generator has been built north of town near the gas station. It will supply the needed electricity for now. But plans for a long-term power search will have to be made in the near future.

img6m.jpg

8-6

The old school house is nearly overcapacity. A one room schoolhouse is fine for a small town, but for a growing one it just doesn't do. A block away from the schoolhouse a new one is being built. The largest construction project the town has seen so far.

img4oj.jpg

8-7

img5e.jpg

That's all for today. Hope you enjoyed the update. :)

_marsh_

Business Opportunities

img1eg.jpg

7-1

I'm not sure if you all know where the town is specifically, but here is it in relation to some other things. Although I don't actually have the highway physically built yet, story-wise it is. ;)

img8y.jpg

7-2

With the town growing even more, some entrepreneurs have put their eyes on the small town. The first of which is the new Sandalwood Motel. Just finished not too long ago. It has already been seeing decent business from vacationers going on drives through the county.

img5iq.jpg

7-3

img4we.jpg

7-4

The second business to set up was the new Towne Bank. The first bank in the county.

img6n.jpg

7-5

Lastly is the first devoted gas station within the city limits. Erected just north of Sandalwood Residents now do not have to drive nearly 2 miles outside town to the Aral station at the I-16 offramp, and before that, using the tank behind Old Gregs' pub to fill up. The town has certainly come far.

img7z.jpg

7-6

Even more houses have been completed and more are going up. This time more focused on the SW of town. Although some original residents of the town are beginning to complain about the amount of dirt in the air due to it all.

img3myx.jpg

7-7

img2slp.jpg

_marsh_

Something aside from Sim Citeh maybe?

Fall has had a big effect on the area around here. Never living in the mountains until this year I haven't really observed the best of fall.

p1020535.jpg

p1020537.jpg

p1020539.jpg

p1020542.jpg

p1020544.jpg

You can see the Cripple Creek gold mine in the distance here.

p1020545.jpg

p1020552.jpg

These next 2 are from my yard. :)

p1020554.jpg

p1020555.jpg

p1020557.jpg

p1020563.jpg

p1020564.jpg

Suddenly, snow.

p1020594.jpg

p1020595.jpg

It didn't even give the trees a chance to shed their leaves yet.

p1020624.jpg

p1020641.jpg

p1020642.jpg

p1020645.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this despite it not being Sim City. Where I live has contributed greatly to making scenes in the game, and I hope you found it enjoyable to have a look into my inspiration. :)

,marsh

_marsh_

A Bit More Growth

bannerln.jpg

Winter moves into spring. The cold bitter air is replaced by the cool wet air of spring. Many plants and grasses in bloom.

img1hj.jpg

6-1

After George Call moved in, many of the workers on the Francisca Bay Bridge and I-16 felt motivated to move into town. Already accustomed to the

residents from staying in the local in, shopping at the town store, and nights at the pub, some felt right at home already.

img5nh.jpg

6-2

The streets empty. Why? They're all at the towns first baseball game.

img4oq.jpg

6-3

The local schoolhouse is already expecting new students for the next school year, after summer when many of the houses are finished. With the recent

surge in new residents and sales in the local stores, the town has had a much needed increase in tax money. The Council voted and decided it was best

to spend the money on a field for the school. The students and residents are all happy with this new addition to Sandalwood. Although some say the

money should have been put to fix that pothole on the highway.

img3yjl.jpg

6-4

_marsh_

Subtle Changes

banneroh.png

Bear with me while I still try to find good positioning for the picture numbers and text. :P Also for some reason my banners always have spelling mistakes in them. Damn you photoshop for not having spellcheck. D:

Fall, moving into winter. The entire county gets very cold. Not exactly a warm place to live. However others seem to like it here.

img2rl.jpg

5-1

George Call recently bought a small piece of property in Sandalwood before summer ended, and started construction on a house there. He was one of the workers on the I-16 project through the region. He moved to Sandalwood aspiring for a new life. The construction on his house started late november. Due to the cold weather however, the house wont be finished for some time.

img3py.jpg

5-2

The house was finished in mid-spring of the next year. After winter passed and the cold left, he finished up the house. And on top of that, he is the first citizen to move into the county for over 35 years.

img1bmo.jpg

5-3

Recently, the residents of the town have been pondering about what the new highway will bring to their quaint little town. Already it has had 1 person call it their new home, as well as many plots of land being bought. Along with that traffic on the highway has been increasing gradually. Drawing in a lot of passerbyers. Now that winter is gone and spring is here, how much else will change.

_marsh_

Francisca Bay Bridge

banneraf.jpg

4-1

img3d.jpg

The old I-16 Ferry terminal stands relativity vacant now. The Francisca Bay Bridge has been completed. Now connecting both sides of the bay. Having no need for any ferries to cross anymore.

4-2

img4tm.jpg

The only people there go for the beach really. The weather may not be nice today, but that doesn't mean fishing is out of the question. Plus the cool autumn breezes are perfect for windsurfers and surfers alike.

4-3

img2qk.jpg

4-4

img52s.jpg

[Click for full-size image]

The Francisca Bay Bridge (Also known as the Francisca Inlet Bridge) Was completed on October the first. It took about 1/2 a year to complete (started March of that same year.) A rather quick build for such an ambitious project. All together the bridge cost almost 25million. Surely that cost was worth it for bridging such a gap. Now uniting both sides of the bay and who knows what else.

_marsh_

New Prospects

Small update today. Just to set the scene for how Sandalwood shall grow. :) When I made this update I didn't quite think it was up to par, but oh well.

bennerq.jpg

Much growth has occurred in the cities and regions North and South of Sandalwood country. After much decision and years of planning the new I-16, going up the coast in a completely different route, is set to connect the two regions via the coastal, and vastly unsettled county of Sandalwood. What this highway will do to the region, and especially the small settlement of Sandalwood (named after the county.)

3-1

img2rm.jpg

There is currently 1 planned interchange in the entire county. It crosses the old I-16 (now re-named to the "Sandalwood Coastal Highway") which leads into town and to the old ferry crossing of the Francisca Bay.

3-2

img1ca.jpg

Some more hilly areas in the region (which there are a lot of) have been decided to just be dug and blasted through. As going around them would just be more expensive.

3-3

img5jd.jpg

After a while the intersection was completed. It will be a while before the entire length of it is finished though. It is a few miles outside of Sandalwood, and already the small town is getting some activity. Many of the workers on the highway are staying there in the local motel, and eating breakfast lunch and dinner there. The town has never seen so many people at one time.

3-4

img4x.jpg

3-5

img6j.jpg

ARAL, seeing this as a business opportunity, has already set up a gas station on the intersection right off the highway. Their first station within the Sandalwood county.

3-6

img0152zw.jpg

What becomes of the Francisca inlet? Well a 4-lane highway can't really depend on a ferry. It would be too much hassle. So the Francisca Bay Bridge Is being constructed. The harsh storms in the area, however, are slowing work momentarily.

_marsh_

I-16

bannerltc.jpg

2-1

I-16 is the interstate coastal 2 lane highway that runs through the region. N-S it runs up the coast, and stops at a ferry crossing the Frasisca Inlet. It goes up some pretty rugged terrain on the coast to get by. That making it a very dangerous road too, cars commonly careening off the side.

img21zo.jpg

2-2

img22in.jpg

2-3

It's a long way down...

img3jw.jpg

2-4

Very quiet beaches. Almost private. Few people come here but the ones that do get all the privacy they need.

img5ni.jpg

2-5

Steep cliffs drop almost straight into the water. Causing much rugged waves crashing into the rocks.

img6jy.jpg

2-6

img4yc.jpg

2-7

img7ty.jpg

_marsh_

Sandalwood

u1banner.jpg

1-1

The town of Sandalwood. The small village of 53 lies on a peninsula jutting into the Frasica Bay. 10 shops line the roads for travelers and tourists heading through to larger cities and sites. The town is small. One of those where everybody knows everyone. Among other things is the small church and water tower, further from the town center. The only road is a 2-lane I-16.

img2zk.jpg

1-2

The small town seems so alive at night despite being completely asleep.

img3ve.jpg

1-3

No fences. At the moment the sort-of community the town has is trustful. The sheep and other livestock roam free around the valley and beyond.

img1ly.jpg

1-4

I-16 winds through the hills east of town. It seems some cows have wandered out of the valley.

img4vh.jpg

1-5

img5g.jpg

1-6

img6l.jpg

And that's all for today. Stay tuned and see how this develops. (I'm trying to figure out how myself :D )

_marsh_

Intro

u1banner.jpg

So, here I am. With a new MD. :) This will be different than other things I've worked on. This will be a story of growth. It will start from a average sized city and then one day, it will hopefully grow into a metropolis.

I'll get a first update up later tonight. Enjoy for now. :)

For those that want the terrain mod, it is here. Be sure to get the dependencies. ;)

Current Region View

(click for full-size)

sanciscoregion92011.jpg