• Moose

Baychester

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

After plenty of time basking in the glory of others CJs, this user is ready to kick some screenshot ass

Entries in this City Journal

turdferguson1

This is the final update for the city journal. I hope you all have enjoyed my humble city. This relates to the downtown area of the South Slopes borough of Baychester. Last update, you all saw some of the area, especially the historic downtown, but this update has the rest.

We start with the historic Baychester Inquirer Building. This is the building on the left with the two antennas. The newspaper still has its main offices here, and it is the largest and oldest paper in the entire city. On the right of the shot, the angled building is the police force's main headquarters for the borough.

southslopes-pressandpolice.jpg

Moving around the city core, we hit a northern portion of the borough. This area is the only part of town with any high-rise condominium buildings, and they surround the little Davidson Park.

southslopes-res.jpg

As one heads south of Davidson Park, they hit Downtown North. This is still largely historic, much like the waterfront area of the last update, but here, developers are much less hesitant to rebuild. Modern buildings have sprung up in the last building boom, and more are in their planning phases.

southslopes-downtownnorth.jpg

The city center/ urban core of the borough is located farther south. It borders the river, and it houses the densest development.

southslopes-downtowneast.jpg

southslopesdowntowneast2.jpg

Here is an overview of the downtown area from the riverfront.

southslopes-downtownandbridge.jpg

The Toyota Center is the main multipurpose arena for the city, and it is home to Baychester's NBA franchise, the Baychester Bombers. This franchise has been in existence from 1972, and its history has been a successful one, with 3 championships, the most recent being in 2001.

southslopes-toyotacenter.jpg

And finally, the Downtown area again, this time the picture is taken from the oceanfront. The Throggs Narrows Bridge can be seen here as well.

southslopes-downtownoverview.jpg

This has been Baychester. I hope you all have enjoyed what I have brought to Simtropolis, I have enjoyed sharing it. Credit goes out to where it is due, I can't go out and name off everyone whose content I used, but I still give out a hearty thank you to all of you.

turdferguson1

Sorry Everybody for the wait, but I'm back finally. This CJ still has a pair of updates left. I remember telling everyone about how Baychester was split into three parts. This is the final (and best, in my opinion) third of my humble northeastern city.

We start off with a general description. The city of Baychester lies on the banks of a minor river as it empties into the Atlantic Ocean. South Slopes is the part of the city straddling the opening of the river. Bayfront Park is the largest park in the borough of the city, and it lies in the residential side of town.

southslopes-NewVision2.jpg

This image also shows one of the larger housing developments in Baychester. These are the New Vision Apartments. the development consists of eight large apartment buildings split into two rows of four. These buildings were built in a partnership between the city government and a large private housing developer, and they are run completely independently of the government. These buildings are therefore much nicer than their government-run counterparts, and they are much, much more expensive to live in.

SouthSlopes-NewVision.jpg

across the river lies the historic downtown. The name south slopes comes from the ridge that forms the demarcation between the historic town and the newer town. This is the edge that is farthest from the city center.

southslopes-edges.jpg

Moving closer to the city, you hit Miller Field, home of the Baychester Corsairs, Baychester's beloved MLB team. This team, founded in 1934, is winners of 9 World Series, most recently in 2006. The stadium with its capacity of 23,697 has had over 3,000 consecutive sellouts (over forty years worth!).

Southslopes-CocaColaField.jpg

Farther intown, one comes upon one of Baychester's historic landmarks, the Forraker Tower. Built in 1931, the tower has served as office space ever since its inception, and it was the tallest building in Baychester for 35 years.

southslopes-ForrakerBuilding.jpg

Ocean Street serves as the boundary road for historic downtown as on one side of it lies the seawall. This street no longer has quite the traffic that it used to, but it is still home to some iconic Baychester establishments.

southslopes-wallrd.jpg

And finally, here is an overview of the historic downtown district. The next and FINAL update shows the new downtown area of South Slopes, one that you can begin to see at the top right of this picture.

southslopes-waterfronteast.jpg

turdferguson1

Welcome back to the fine city of Baychester. In this update, we will move outside of city limits to see the international airport.

BIA or Baychester International Airport is a relatively small airport not because the city is irrelevant, but because of the government's backwardness earlier in the twentieth century. This led to the development of major airports in cities close by to Baychester, Logan international in Boston and both JFK and LaGuardia in NY.

However, airline traffic has been steadily increasing, prompting a major overhaul in 1997 which was finally completed in 2007 that rebuilt and added new terminals and an extra runway.

Here are the long and short term lots for the airport.

BIALongandShorttermlots.jpg

Just a little further up, we see terminal 1, Delta's terminal. Along with this, we see the control tower for the airport. Its placed right on the road because it literally takes the place of the old control tower from the old airport.

BIAterminal1.jpg

Moving over, we see terminal 2. This terminal is the smallest of the three, and it serves all of the international flights coming into and going out of Baychester. It has only a couple docks for large intercontinental jets like the 747, so most international flights go to Canada, London, Paris, and Madrid.

BIAterminal2.jpg

Terminal 3 is the largest of the three terminals, and it carries most other airlines. The Continental flights along with the United flights arrive and depart from here. Incidentally, American, Airtran, and Southwest have not started service to BIA yet, but all have plans to start in the next few years.

BIAterminal3.jpg

Here, we see Terminal 3 and very little of Terminal 2 along with Runway 1 and parts of Runway 2. the runways are parallel but staggered.

2runwayoverview.jpg

Finally, we get an overview of the three terminals of the airport.

PassengerAirportoverview.jpg

Now just to make sure you guys come back even if there is a long delay between updates, Im posting a teaser pic of part of the last part of downtown Baychester, South Slopes. The update covering this part of town is a long one, and it should take at least 2 updates.

Baychester-NewDowntown.jpg

see you all later!

turdferguson1

Wassup you guys, I'm back from a rather long hiatus to bring you the next update in the tour of Baychester. This entry will have little text and 8 pictures to maximize visual enjoyment. Sorry, about the mismatching number keys, I'm using a mixture of pictures for the CJ.

To start, we begin with the single largest housing cooperative in the Baychester Metropolitan Area and the second largest in the United States after Co-op City in Bronx, NY. In many ways this development is like its larger sibling in NY.

Baychester-Balcomb-CaldwellTowers.jpg

Near this housing area is Randall Stevens Field, home of the Baychester Lobstermen, a rather new expansion team in the MLB. This is the second MLB team in Baychester. Founded in 1989, the team has been a consistent example of futility, with only 2 winning seasons and a single playoff appearance in 2002. This lack of success has prompted many fans to pull out their paper bag masks.

Baychester-RandallStevensfield.jpg

Alongside the baseball field is the home of Baychester's lone NFL franchise, the Baychester Sounders, named after the Long Island Sound, which Baychester is located some 10 miles from. This team has been a successful franchise with many playoff runs and 2 super bowl championships in 1981 and 2004.

RedHillStadium.jpg

Near the stadiums is the Baychester Convention Center which arches over the parking entrance area.

BaychesterConventionCenter.jpg

Moving on to the downtown portion of the city, we see the Old downtown along with the TD Ameritrade building and the RDA Building (the Lipstick Building).

Baychester-Downtown3.jpg

Here is the AMV plaza, the Fremont Center (green bldg.), the Baychester Communications Building (blue bldg. in foreground), and the BASF Center (the white and blue bldg.). Mulholland is famous for its "checkerboard" plaza areas.

baychesterdowntown4.jpg

This is a close-up on Republic Plaza (the blue one) and the the other buildings in downtown.

Baychester-Downtown2.jpg

Finally, here is a full overview shot of Downtown Mulholland.

Baychester-Downtown.jpg

See you guys later; the next update should be within a weeks time.

turdferguson1

Hello all, Its time to start with some good news and bad news. The bad news first (bad for you, good for me). I'm going off to college tomorrow, and so I can't work any more on the cities in my CJ. The good news however is that I've planned for this and I've accumulated plenty of pictures for a few more updates over the course of the next couple weeks.

To start off, we begin our tour of Baychester City in this update. The next few updates will show the three main neighborhoods of the city. They are: Little Neck, Mulholland, and South Slopes.

Anyways we move into Little Neck, named for the small peninsula that juts into the sea. This is the northernmost part of Baychester City. In the small bay that it forms is undeveloped Corning Island. This island has not been protected by the National Park Service (or any other preservation society) because its small size and rocky shores make development an economic deathwish.

LittleNeck-Corningisland.jpg

Moving a little east, we see the tip of the town's namesake peninsula, Little Neck. Here we have a lighthouse to warn boats going upstream to the ports north of Baychester, and the Mayor of Baychester's house.

LittleNeck-LittleNeckPoint.jpg

If we head to the southernmost part of the bay, we come across outlook park which is known for its ...well... lookouts. Around the park is some old development that is under consideration for redevelopment.

LittleNeck-OverlookPark.jpg

Farther inland, as we get closer to downtown Little Neck, We come across Stephens Park, named after Gregory Stephens, a famous businessman and philanthropist who founded Baychester Metals Incorporated.

LIttleNeck-StephensPark.jpg

Just a shade east of Stephens Park is the downtown portion of Little Neck. The large building in the center is the Baychester Metals Inc. building which stands atop the original plot of land where Stephens had his first workshop.

LittleNeck-Downtown.jpg

Little Neck, however, has had some class tensions flare up recently, especially with these hard economic times. One of the biggest flashpoints has been the construction of the Oceanside Place Condominiums. This building has blocked the ocean views from the Martinsfield Towers while also leaving a few city blocks permanently under its shadow.

LittleNeck-Inequality.jpg

Lastly, I should point out that many people in Baychester live in government housing cooperatives. Little Neck has the third largest public development in the metropolitan area, The Statler-Brownsville Houses. The mid and high rise buildings house 6500 poorer residents of the city.

LittleNeck-Statler-BrownsvilleHousingestates.jpg

This is another view of the housing projects; The four Nostrand Towers are part of the Statler-Brownsville homes. The checkerboard cube thingy at the bottom is the northernmost extent of the Baychester subway system.

LittleNeck-NostrandTowers.jpg

Thanks for viewing this and stick around for more coming soon.

turdferguson1

Hello everyone, Today, we are wrapping up Easton on our way to Downtown Baychester. For those of you who were concerned about the prop box bug that seemed to have infested my city, just remember that this is a short burst of a CJ, as I am leaving for college on Saturday. So, I have only 3 days to get screenshots, and anyways, the only types of lots which seem to be affected so far are the maxis mansions which I don't particularly care for.

Just for clarification, Easton has a population of 22,447.

We start closer to the downtown area on Thorpe Road. This road is the most important surface street in Easton, and here we can find the Easton Medical Center. The medical center is highly rated, and It is considered by many as the finest hospital in the Baychester metropolitan area.

Easton-EastonMedicalCenter.jpg

If we move closer to Easton Lake, we can see Easton Lake park. The numerous athletic fields are used for recreational league soccer matches and little-league football games. The row of shops has been preserved by the Easton Historic Society after protests against a proposed strip mall opening.

Eaton-EastonLakePark.jpg

Easton High School is at the bottom of the picture, but because of the age of the homes around the school, when the school underwent expansion, its athletic fields were built over. Therefore, The school's soccer and football team were forced to practice at Easton Lake park. The construction at the right side of the picture is for additional medical office space for Easton Medical Center.

Easton-EastonHigh.jpg

After crossing I-97, we come across downtown Easton. Most of these buildings (apart from the gas station) were built in the early 1900s, and are preserved by the Easton Historic Society. The park is Kings Pond Park, and it was opened in 1934; one can rent a rowboat to paddle around in from one of the stores downtown.

Easton-Eastondowntown.jpg

At the other side of downtown is a block of historic rowhomes. These are among the most desirable properties in the entire metropolitan region; recently, a small, 1500 square foot rowhouse sold for $612,000! Take that recession. The modern building contains offices for a number of small corporations, and when built, was heavily protested by the traditionalists in the town.

Easton-Eastondowntown2.jpg

The other end of downtown is here, with the old Easton Times-Picayune clocktower building, and some bigger apartments.

Easton-Eastondowntown3.jpg

Here we see the rest of the rail overpass we began to see in our first picture. This is part of the Baychester Commuter Rail (BCR) network, and the triangular building is one of the main offices for the BCR network.

Easton-BCRoverpass.jpg

Finally, as we head out of the city on I-97 south, we see the Thorpe rd. interchange. It's nothing too special, but this shot gives a nice overview of the more built-up section of Easton.

Easton-ThorpeRdInterchange.jpg

It's been a pleasure showing you Easton, prepare for something different next time. Adios.

turdferguson1

Hello guys and gals, I'm back to bring another entry to my CJ, Baychester. This is the second of three updates relating to Easton, and this focuses on its town-like feel. this will continue in the next update when I show the town center.

We start off with a general picture of what seems to be the original city planner's idea of a subdivision, complete with multiple cul de sacs and obligatory mismatched road textures.

Thetownofeaston.jpg

This planning is a rarity in Easton because of its proximity to the city of Baychester since the original city planners decided that a continuation of the city's block pattern would be convenient and space-efficient, thereby maximizing population density, and indirectly, income from taxes.

However, the single family home completely dominates the town, thereby giving it a nice, leafy suburb feel. Here we have Emerson Elementary School and its little ballpark right in the middle of the development.

Thetownofeaston-emersonelementary.jpg

In the picture, the group of houses in the top left corner (the two pairs of double houses facing each other) were the first homes built by the elite after Easton was founded in 1803.

The age of the homes in Easton does not mean the town is without the creature comforts of a modern suburban community, however. Here we have a Wegmans and a Costco for the modern American families.

ThetownofEaston-BigBoxGalore.jpg

Another shot of this area shows the fire station, general religious congregation center (Baychester is very diverse, so the government decided to build these buildings to house every religion, much to the chagrin of the descendants of the original Puritains who settled here and of the Tea Partyers), and part of the Wegmans just as fall begins to set in.

ThetownofEaston-FallandFire.jpg

This small-town is still a commuter town, and so thousands of drivers pile onto the roads every morning and evening on their commutes to and from the city. Congestion became so much of a problem in the seventies that the government refurbished the abandoned rails heading out of Baychester to accomodate passenger rail traffic. Luckily for Easton, not one but two stations were built to service the town; here's one.

ThetownofEaston-Commuting-Copy.jpg

Just for reference, the interchange behind the rail station is the Easton Scenic Highway exit on I-97, and the forest is right behind that, showing how close this fine town is to nature.

That's all for tonight, The final Easton update will be coming tommorow night, and it should be bigger than this one. See Ya!

turdferguson1

First of all, thank you for putting up with that text only post, I promise there will be pictures on this post.

I need to clarify one thing, the location of this fictitious american metropolis. Baychester lies around where New London, Connecticut is. This does not reflect in the map I used (sorry), it just is arbitrary because I wanted it to lie between New York and Boston.

To begin, I'll be starting in the inner suburb of Easton. Backing right into this fine town is Easton National Forest (original, Right?). What is original however, is the National Forest's location. at its closest, the forest is less than ten miles away from Baychester city limits. This gives the forest not only a unique location, but also a unique set of problems as we'll see.

Just a short drive away from Baychester on Interstate 97 is the entrance to the national forest scenic highway. To make the forest stay truly pristine, the park service decided to build the highway and ban all pedestrian and vehicle traffic elsewhere in the forest unless a special permit is applied for. It may seem draconian, but it seems to have worked.

ESHentrance.jpg

The scenic highway snakes around the forested hills and provides a wonderful day trip opportunity for the people of Baychester.

ESH.jpg

Even though the protection measures have been enacted to protect the forest, its proximity to civilization has hurt it through the ages. atop one of the small hills, trees have been killed by acid rain that has formed from the high car traffic through the forest, the industrial output of Baychester, and from the industries of New England.

ESFacidrain.jpg

However, for those lucky enough to earn a pass, the shore of Lake Easton is easily accessible even though there aren't any real trails around the forest.

EastonNationalForest-LakeEaston.jpg

And just to drive in the fact that this is a unique forest, I've got a picture showing how close the park is to civilization.

ESFproximity.jpg

the little dish in the bottom right corner is a bit of high tech industry that is literally a few hundred yards from the national forest.

Thats all for today, since it is after 1 AM, I think I'll be getting some rest.

turdferguson1

Hey everyone, I've been on simtropolis for a while, fully using it for everything from downloading some sweet BATs to combing through tons of CJs, so I thought I would use what SC4 has taught me to give back with the only thing I know how to do, a City Journal. This is my first journal, so constructive criticism is what I'm looking for, but if my entry sucks, please do tell, just don't be a jacka** about it.

This is just a textual intro to the CJ with some demographic information. A real update is coming up just in a few minutes actually, so get ready for BAYCHESTER!

Baychester city:

Population: 642,395 (2010 Census)

Metropolitan Population: 1,986,475 (2010 Census)

Ethnic Breakdown:

White: 52.4%

African American: 24.3%

Asian or Pacific Islander: 10.3%

Native American: 00.3%

Hispanic or Latino: 10.7%

Other: 02.0%

Median Household Income: $46,754

Percentage in Poverty: 13.7%

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0