Where you now find a thriving city where people live and work in lush green surroundings - history shows us it has all been the effort of the determined inhabitants of Livonia wanting to create a better place for their children. Up till early 20th century there are was a deep forest of mostly birches. As World War II broke out the national-socialists moved part of the population of the Kaunas-Ghetto and concentration camp to this spot for forced labour in the quarries. This outpost of the Kovno concentration camp was demolished as Livonia was occupied by the Soviet Union in 1944. In the early 1970's soviet scientists and politicians made plans for the reconstruction of a nuclear powerplant supplying Kaliningrad and the Lithuanian SSR with cheap electricity from the 'peaceful atom' here and the city of Atomgorod was built. The nuclear powerplant however was never taken into service and after independence in 1993 completely dismantled. The official name of this modern city was changed to it's present form, named after one of the Rabbi's interned in the concentration camp, to honour memory of the jewish and other prisoners of the former concentration camp outpost.
The national holocoustmuseum of Livonia
Luxurious appartments with a view of the memorial pond in the district of Memoriaal
A view of downtown R.-G.-Atoomstad with the peacepond.