Laslind

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

My world, my rules

Entries in this City Journal

PaulSawyer

The Period from 1151 to 1159 wasn’t particularly noteworthy for city.

1156qh.jpg

copyfve.jpg

copyzf.jpg

bythewayrelationscopy.jpg

* - briefly the legend sounds like this: once in the very far times the sea-shore was not where it is now. The sea splashed instead of forests and two big mountains (St. Monrell and St. Ranyell mountains) were the islands. One day the Great Ragmanoth arrived here to build fortress. He had chosen a place between two big mountains near the Hayna mouth of then for construction. He parted the waters of the sea and dug a huge deep pit at the bottom of the sea. Then he lighted a large white fire at the bottom of the pit and began to throw nearby rocks there. One of the rocks flew past the hole and fell near it glowing with a blue flame. So the Blue Rock appeared. Many rocks were not suitable for Ragmanoth and he put them in a green fire near the construction site to make them suitable. After a year of working the foundation for the fortress was ready. Then one day Rarmanoth called Mizhal (patron of Lossia) and sad: “I have to leave. Watch my fortress, I’ll be back in ten years and finish it”. Then he left Lossia. But he came back neither in ten years, nor in twenty, nor in one hundred, nor in one thousand. The fire gone out, waters merged back, the foundation of the fortress became the White Island, and rocks in green fire near became the Green Island. All this time Mizhal and his helpers lossins take care of this islands and wait for Ragmanoth to come back and finish his fortress.

copyiai.jpg

copynp.jpg

By the way, the first Governor and the Mayor of Viserlind in combination was Ulrich von Zighaer – the admiral of Shterley flotilla who provided the ship for the first Monters expedition.

copyvhd.jpg

copyrs.jpg

copyv.jpg

copyiz.jpg

Meanwhile Klaus Monter and others explorers, which had arrived to the city, actively explored the surrounding area. Special attention was paid for the water area.

copynu.jpg

copyir.jpg

copycz.jpg

copyuq.jpg

bythewayclimatecopy.jpg

copycp.jpg

barkley2copy.jpg

copyhz.jpg

copyz.jpg

copyse.jpg

copyid.jpg

copycz.jpg

copyeu.jpg

copyrj.jpg

** - Helier The Great is the first emperor of the Viselgorth Empire.

*** - I should note one important detail (although I think many have already guessed but just in case): level of technical progress in the XII century in my world is about the same as level of technical progress of our world in the XVI century.

**** - Actually degree scale of temperature measurement will be invented later, but here the temperatures are given in degrees Celsius to make it clear.

PaulSawyer

Here!

The workweek is over and I finally got to the computer, so let’s move on.

Replies

TowerDude, avrelivs, IAM AJAK: thank you guys, it is a pleasure to know that somebody is interested :)

So, after a year of wandering along the coast of Antida on 25th of August (on 27th according to some sources) 1149 Klaus Monter entered the bay which was named Foggy Bay.

copynb.jpg

They anchored in a small cove on island formed by big river on the East (which natives called Hayna*) and its branch on the North.

copypt.jpg

Klaus Monter decided that this is a place where the city must be founded.

unled5copy.jpg

18 days were spent on repairing ship to sail home. During this time Klaus managed to draw a small map of the island and established relationships with some local tribes.

copysn.jpg

copyw.jpg

When the ship was repaired, Monter left the Foggy Bay.

He came back in a year on 29th of August 1150 and that time he was leading a fleet of 23 ships. However most of these ships were not under the flag of Viselgorth Empire.

unled6copyk.jpg

copyse.jpg

Anyway, 367 sailors, 679 settlers and 43 warriors (most of which where retired soldiers and policemen picked up in different port cities across Maragor coast) landed on a small peninsula between Small Cove (it was called so) and estuary of Hayna and made temporary camp.

copyx.jpg

Construction began.

copyqw.jpg

Monter named the city Viserlind** to emphasize that the city was a colony of the Empire

48448147.jpg

copyrv.jpg

copyom.jpg

48207214.jpg

copyqw.jpg

copyrg.jpg

Meanwhile Klaus actively explored the land around the new city.

copylk.jpg

* - It is a name of the real river flowing in Belarus (my home country). However, the real Hayna is a small and calm creek, while Hayna in this CJ is a big and mighty river.

** - In Thaussvald dialect (German dialect which was the most common in Viselgorth Empire) “lind” means “city”, and “Viser” is a short name of the Empire used mainly in geographic names. So the name of the city can be read as “the city of Viselgorth Empire”.

PaulSawyer

On September 12 1148 Klaus Monter arrived at the port of Louisville.

louisvilleg.jpg

Another 3 ships including his brothers ship Werner the Great were waiting for him there.

29162305.jpg

The fourth ship disappeared into the depths of the sea during the storm as sailors said. All the other ships were badly damaged, and the morale of the crew was disappointing.

opisanie1.jpg

Monter stayed at Louisville for a month. Nobody knows exactly the reason for such a long delay. The ships were repaired within a week and flotilla was ready to sail. But Klaus Monter did not give the order to sail. He spent his time pacing around the island, or sitting in a fortress in the company of Louisville Governor Mejyer de Felatren.

57550490.jpg

Meanwhile, the crews of the flotilla had fun at local bars.

celebrationsv.jpg

Two weeks later Michael could not stand it and demanded an explanation from his brother. The history silent about the details of that conversation, but obviously it was very unpleasant and had no result.

michaelmonter.jpg

Then three days later an explanation was demanded by captains of other ships. They complained that the long demurrage is bad for discipline and that the commander of the expedition could have at least the captains to explain the reasons for the delay. But they also did not get clear answer.

On October 14 Klaus Monter suddenly ordered to prepare to set sail. The flotilla left the port of Louisville in early morning and headed for Antida.

19257182.jpg

They reached Antida on 4th of November. After restock food supplies in Sanderville (Orleanian colony on the coast of Antida), Monter directed a fleet to the north along the coast.

74831104.jpg

He explained to the crew, that they were looking for a convenient place for founding a city.

26784221.jpg

But they sailed thousand of miles along the coast, and there was a lot of free and convenient for building a city places but none of this places were suitable for Monter.

29611121.jpg

When they reached the so-called Laimpers Edge* captains of other ships advised Monter not to go further, because “the sea seethe without stopping there, and rocks stick out from the water everywhere”. But Monter did not listen to captains and ordered to go ahead under full sail. Now he was rather the discoverer than founder because nobody went this direction before. As soon as they entered into unknown waters, the sky darkened and the sea began to seethe, so that even experienced sea wolves were amazed by the power of this disaster.

Monter with his own eyes watched Grant Escuer hitting a reef and broking into pieces. He tried to approach the crash site to pick up survivors, but he nearly crashed into the rocks himself and was forced to leave.

72317405.jpg

The next thousand miles became a truly nightmare for travelers.

The air temperature dropped to 0 degrees** for which the expedition was not ready absolutely. More and more often they saw snow on the coast – a surprising phenomenon for people from the Ecumene. The sailors often met local Indians in the shore, who gave them blankets and food. It made the suffering of seafarers a little easier, however, the main enemy of the expedition was not a cold wind or snowed coast. Monter still led the fleet to the north in search of a “convenient” place, and sailors asked each other: “does he scoff at us?”

60904009.jpg

When the temperature became negative and there was nothing visible on the coast except the snow, captain of Queen Aurelius turned around and went back and didn’t even say goodbye. Seeing this all the other sailors mutinied and demanded to turn back too. Klaus Monter had no choice but to agree with the team and turn back.

73319015.jpg

But the way back appeared to be even more difficult. Three times they were overtaken by storm. One of these storms took Michael Monter, and the other one almost drowned Klaus and only a miracle saved him from death. When the the storms were over, there was only one from three masts remaining undamaged, holes gaped on boards and a couple of shreds were everything that remained from sail.

46709023.jpg

Klaus was depressed. He sailed thousands of miles, lost his brother, ditched dozens of people and disgraced himself and it seemed that it was all in vain. What does remain to do in such a situation?

But one morning they entered the bay, covered by morning fog...

76237129.jpg

* - Herven Laimper - a voyager from the Maragorian city of Rossen, who explored west coast of Antida. Laimpers Edge was a conventional name for the place, where he fell into violent storm, after which he did not risk to sail further.

** - I should note that average temperatures of my world are higher than temperatures of our world, so 0 ° C is hard frost for the people living there (especially in the ecumene) and snowy winter is an extremely rare phenomenon typical only for certain regions.

PaulSawyer

Now forget everything I wrote about the Viselgorth Empire in the previous entry. Proud green banners, mighty fortresses and valiant warriors – all that really was, but since that 150 years have passed.

copyub.jpg

Many things have changed over this time. When the empire just was being built three main principles were put into the basis of state: wisdom, piety and Sistorian belief*. Wisdom… What kind of wisdom we can tell about, if the empire was constantly at war this last 150 years? Piety… It was buried at night march 5, 1117 a.f.y.** when the emperor Gerald IV Visselgorth was killed in his palace. The ruling dynasty of Viselgorths was displaced, and the new emperor Vladis I Blaushvel was seated on the throne. This event was called “A Night Revolution”

copylg.jpg

Vladis I buried Gerald IV with the last principle of empire – belief as well as economy, army, fleet and integrity of the state.

But… “Even in the dirtiest boondocks one always can find a romantic, who wants to change the world”.

In this history the role of romantic is played by Klaus Monter.

klausmonteropisaniecopy.jpg

In July 1148 a.f.y. Monter with his oldest brother Michael Monter (who also was an experienced sailor) arrived to Keynvald to organize a new expedition to Antida.

0copyx.jpg

He wanted to establish a colony there to show that Viselgorth Empire is still strong and capable of anything. But not all shared his patriotic impulses including his brother, who doubted the wisdom of the expedition until the end. It was a difficult time and everyone was waiting for only one thing: when this rotten state would collapse. With a great difficulty he managed to attract the captains of two ships. One more ship was provided by Ulrich von Zighaer – admiral of Shterley flotilla standing at that time at port of Keynvald. And one more ship was managed to get by his brother.

copycopyu.jpg

So they had 5 ships - a little too small to found a city. But Klaus Monter could not expect more, so on 16 august he sailed from the port.

98890174.jpg

In 10 days the flotilla Sailed through the Tharmonic and the Prepont Seas and came out into the Boundless Ocean taking a course to the east. Monter planned to reach New Caledonia – an island in the Boundless Ocean which was under the control of Orlean. The sea was calm and the wind was fair, so

copyl.jpg

But a thousand miles from the New Caledonia fleet fell into a violent storm.

55620128.jpg

When the storm was over there was no any ships around. A powerful wind blew the ship of Monter far away from flotilla. When Klaus figured out the coordinates of his location he found out, that far away means five hundred miles. The ship was badly damaged and there was no sense in returning to place where other vessels could be, so Klaus Monter decided to sail to the New Caledonia.

On 12 september he came into port of Louisville on the New Caledonia where the other three ships of his flotilla were waited for him…

copyhw.jpg

* Sistorian belief or simply Sistorism - a system of moral, ethical and religious teachings based on a number of philosophical doctrines about the universe and the existence. I will tell more about it a little later.

** “a.f.y.” means “after the fall of the yoke”. There was a long period in the history of Ecumene during which it was under the rule of the Kirtysh Empire. This state emerged on the Samary Island and captured many nations in a short time. But the conquered peoples did not wish to put up with their slave status and began the war against the empire. After years of warfare the emperor of Kirtysh made peace with rebellious nations and granted them freedom. This event was so great for the winners that they decided to start new calendar: the day the freedom was received became the first day of the first year of the new calendar.

*** Education level in Viselgorth Empire was very high. Almost everyone could read, write and calculate thanking to system of elementary School. Of course not every town had high school, but every even the smallest village hade elementary school which was contained largely by the villagers themselves.

Any comments on grammar or lexis are welcom

PaulSawyer

Geography (in outline).

The world my CJ describe is very similar to our: boundless oceans, huge mountains, plains stretching for thousands of kilometers, rivers, deserts, forests, jungles – everything that can be seen in our world can be seen there as well.

4321a.jpg

As you can see from the map, the world is divided into some huge regions. On the far north of big continent which has no name yet lies Syberia – a vast unexplored land covered with pine forests. It is separated from the rest of the continent by the Miroan, the Altayan, the Haloan and the Sistorian mountain ranges on the south, the Hoa-Hay Mountains on the west and by the Ohotsk Sea on the east. Lands lying on the west from Syberia called Korea, and land lying on the East across Ohotsk Sea – Russ. In the center of unnamed continent there are huge steppe plains called Great Plains. To the west of it lies another large mountain range – The Chinese Range, which separate china and great plains. On the east the Great Plains borders Ecumene and on the south it borders Vietnam. On the very south of continent lies the Moro desert and further south lies Maly land, separated from the continent by the Hyoloppanga Strait. On the East of Ecumene there is a big island called Samary Island, and further – India which is rather continent then island. On the south of it both lies Osmania Island and a series of islands which goes to the further south of it.

And on the other hemisphere lie Antida and Gnomilica - the newly discovered and actively investigated lands.

Short on politics.

1234yo.jpg

Here is the map of Ecumene, the main center of civilization at the moment.

Territory denoted by green boards is Viselgorth Empire – the most powerful nation all over the world. It stretches for thousands miles, from the Sistorian Mountains to the Maragor Sea, from Russ to Vietnam and unites a multitude of nations inhabiting this region. Its green banners proudly hover over fortresses scattered across empire, its great people build magnificent libraries and palaces, its valiant warriors easily smash anyone who dared to encroach upon the wealth of the empire.

Blue border denotes the Kingdom of Orlean – another powerful state which is also claming to be a leader in the region.

Light brown color is a color of the Maragorian Union of Cities. This State formation is one of the oldest in Ecumene. It is a kind of confederation of city-states scattered along the shores of the Maragor Sea and other seas of the region.

A land lying between the Maragor Sea and the Varibian Sea is Samary Island. It is the cradle of civilization, the most ancient cities and states are located here.

Territories denoted by pink and red boards are called Russ. This territory is occupied by fragmented Slavic states the largest of which is Litovia.

A territory lying to the west of Viselgorth Empire is called Okkuria. This area is covered by steppes and occupied by underdeveloped states with predominantly agrarian economies.

Vietnam and Laos signed with grey lines are very old countries with a rich history. But now it’s barbarian area covered by jungles and with smoke of the incessant wars.

Some of this states and territories will be described more detailed in the future, but for now I hope that you have got some idea about what the world is like.

Any comments on grammar or lexis are welcome.

PaulSawyer

Introduction

The idea of this CJ came to me quite a long time ago. I love history or rather I love to write history :) I always wanted to create a story about some city, about how it changed through the time, how it grew from small village to huge megapolis. And now I'll try to do it. And I will try to do it so that this CJ will be diffrent from the others historical CJs. I think the history is not just sequence of events or schedule of construction projects, but it consists of human's and nation's destinies, which it is made by. So This CJ will include some life stories, nation stories, victory stories, defeat stories and perhaps even love stories (hope this will not happen).

And also I hope that this CJ will help me to improve my poor skills of working with Photoshop.

Well, as if to start, a small teaser showing part of area, which is to be built up in future.

47467222.jpg

P.S. My english is quite poor, so I apologize for all possible inaccuracies and incomprehensibilities