• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

New Seattle, the second largest city in the United Tegian Republic exists near the southern border of UTR, and is one of the larger port cities along the west coast.

Entries in this City Journal

TEG24601

Aquaria

Welcome to Aquaria. The name Aquaria conjures up images of the sea, well unfortunately someone in records office was dyslexic, and reversed the tail on the 'g' in Agraria (as in Agrarian) and could not be changed. As a result of their quetzalcoatic name they play up how little surface water there is, with a yearly water festival. However, as the early settlers found out, the large amount of rain that Aquaria gets, being close enough to the mountains to get the rain when the clouds climb, but far enough away to enjoy not being bogged down in mud, Aquaria has become quite the apt name for this community.

aquaria00.jpg

Lake Aquaria sits at the base of the Aquarian Valley.

aquaria01.jpg

I-96 cuts the corner on its travels between Libran and Sagittaron. The freeway thankfully helps to contain the heavy industry in the Southeast Corner of the city.

aquaria02.jpg

Downtown Aquaria along the Southern Shore of Lake Aquaria. The New Seattle Monorail passes by assisting in reducing roadway traffic.

aquaria03.jpg

SR-960 and SR-017 intersect in the rural farmland, with just a hint of commerce.

aquaria04.jpg

A close up of Lake Aquaria, showing Melulose Beach along the Eastern shore.

aquaria05.jpg

UTR3 travels through its own right-of-way, in a trench, to best provide service possible.

aquaria06.jpg

The New Seattle Monorail travels North to Rosenberg in a loop to provide quick access for residents work in off-site industrial areas. Minor survey marks occur through the field in the East of the shot for a planned extension of Oak Rd.

aquaria07.jpg

Some new commercial developments are occurring between the monorail right-of-ways.

aquaria08.jpg

SR-963 connects Aquaria with Rosenberg.

TEG24601

Kobol

Welcome to the city of Kobol, located just to the East of Hinton, along the border with Tuva Kala.  The UTR and Tuva Kala have good relations, a treaty signed shortly after the founding of Oceanside requires a border fence to be built, on both sides of the border, with a natural area in between.  Kobol was the first city in which the fence was required, due to the border near Hinton to be further south, in the village of Kor De Vaci.  As a result of the border nature of this city, there are very few connections, keeping the required natural area.  Each roadway connection contains customs going into and out of the natural areas, in order to prevent smuggling of the many creatures that call the natural areas home.

kobol01.jpg

A overhead view of Kobol, with neighbors removed.

kobol02.jpg

I-901 bisects the city and provides the major border crossing into Tuva Kala for all vehicles.  It passes through the Martian mountains via Tunnels.

kobol03.jpg

The Osaka neighborhood, home to many of Kobol's residents.  You may notice F-901, with its truck free border crossing.  Farms are common along both sides of the border as the soil is very fertile, so it is easy to grow large numbers of crops in a small area.

kobol04.jpg

The Orkney neighborhood in Northeast Kobol is home to industry and residents in close quarters.  As a result, there are few traffic issues in the area, aside from freight trucks using the streets to move industrial freight to the railroads to both the North and South.

kobol08.jpg

kobol05.jpg

F-98 and its Orion Bridge travel over Wolf Creek Pass, and connect from the Martian Highlands to Thor's tower.  The spiral effect is used quite well to bring the roadway to a lower elevation without require large amounts of land movements, that would have been much more expensive than the tunnel/bridge system being used. 

kobol06.jpg

Exit 3 off of I-901 shows some of the care used when the freeway was constructed.  The Farm nestled in the Interchange was the farm started by the founders of Kobol, Tobias and Penelope Loqual, a historical monument.

kobol07.jpg

Pike Road travels over F-98, relieving traffic issues that used to occur in this vicinity.  A connector was installed to allieviate the issues, and has prevented many of the backups that occurred on F-98 due to the large signal cycles that used to occur.

kobol09.jpg

Different city, regional, state, and federal projects have drastically changed the Martian Mountains, and when each new government comes to power, they have different ways of dealing with the topography in the local areas.  This is why there are neighborhoods climbing up mountain sides, while Federal Highways tunnel under, and city streets use bridges and connector ramps to bypass Highways.

kobol10.jpg

From the Northwest corner of the city, we see the Farmi neighborhood, with its mainly residential and commercial residents.

kobol11.jpg

The Southwest corner of Kobol is a mix of Residential, Commercial, and Industrial purposes.  The slight jog in the border wall belies the southern extension of UTR to Kor De Vaci.

kobol12.jpg

The Kual Viaduct, over Lake Ne Ke, a seasonal lake, filled mainly in the Spring, after the Winter snow melts, and the spring rains come.

TEG24601

The City of Leonis

Welcome to the city of Leonis. Leonis was originally settled by people mainly from the Mid-western US, as a result, there were large tracts of land dedicated to farming, with a central core of Industry and Commerce.

leonis_01.jpg

The Northwestern section of Leonis is dedicated largely to wheat and barley farming.

leonis_02.jpg

I-903 and F-903 Travel through the center of Leonis, before I-903 breaks away and begins traveling Eastward.

leonis_03.jpg

I-903 hugs the Northeastern Industrial areas, where initially there is a large amount of pollution created during initial developments.

leonis_04.jpg

I-903 continues along the transport trench originally built for the UTR3 and parallels it through Northern Leonis and on into Rosenberg. The industrial areas giveway to newer farms along the way. Some bridges have not been completed due to late redirection of I-903 away from Tauron.

leonis_05.jpg

Residents don't much like the pollution coming from the new industries, causing many reforms in Leonis.

leonis_06.jpg

Residences away from the industrial areas seem much happier. Then again having a SPUI for access to the freeway might help everyones' mood.

leonis_07.jpg

Southern industrial development.

leonis_08.jpg

The temporary terminus of F-903 and I-903 at George Rd.

leonis_09.jpg

Details of the I-903/F-903 and F-92 Interchange.

leonis_10.jpg

Downtown Leonis, along the North Shore of Lake Leoben.

TEG24601

Since the last update, a major construction projects has been undertaken to improve traffic flow near the Southern Approach of the Alero Bridge.

hintonapproach1.jpg

Construction begins on the new right-of-way for I-1.

hintonapproach2.jpg

A temporary redirection of the entrance ramp to Northbound I-1 is required to keep traffic flowing during construction.

hintonapproach3.jpg

A wider view of the modifications.

hintonapproach4.jpg

The Newly completed approach, includes new lights lining the freeway.

hintonapproach5.jpg

More lighting. Reclaimed land was used to expand the neighborhoods.

hintonapproach6.jpg

Updated interchange at I-1 and SR-980.

TEG24601

The City of Hinton and New Seattle have has spent millions of credits upgrading the mass transit system of the city to answer overcrowding of the system. Thankfully, the upgrades have been well received by the population, who have continued their support in Hinton of the Mass Transit system, utilizing the Rail, Subway, and Monorail systems. There are still some areas with traffic issues, but there isn't much more that can be done with the mass transit system, so more busses have been added to hopefully take on the load. However there are still many areas feeling the pinch of being a 'near border' city, as do many others along the UTR's Southern Border with Tuva Kala.

hinton_2_1.jpg

Some new upgrades near the Omarion Reservoir have seen new businesses spring up.

hinton_2_2.jpg

New land shaping projects in neighboring cities of Leonis, Kobol, and Aerilon have allowed more land shaping to take place on the Hinton Peninsula at the base of the Omarion Reservoir.

hinton_2_3.jpg

The World renowned Gilhona Railroad has been upgraded in the Omarion Industrial Area and move freight and passengers at efficiencies seen rarely elsewhere on the planet.

hinton_2_4.jpg

Omaron Shores continues to grow.

hinton_2_5.jpg

More shots of the Omaron Shores.

hinton_2_6.jpg

The Omarion summit is home of many large commercial structures and house large numbers of jobs, and the city courthouse, stock exchange, and cultural centers.

hinton_2_7.jpg

More details on the Omarion summit.

hinton_2_8.jpg

Omarion landing, due to major reconstruction in the coming years, as the Monorail, Subway, and F-1 are nearly taxed to their limit.

hinton_2_9.jpg

The Jozian Bridge, due to be replaced in the coming years with a new structure and other facilities.

hinton_2_10.jpg

Point Jozian, a minor neighborhood, with the new HOV bypass of F-1 South.

hinton_2_11.jpg

The Sumaro Neighborhood has been slowly encroaching on the farmland of the original settlement.

hinton_2_12.jpg

More parks, happier residents.

hinton_2_13.jpg

The Central Library, adjacent to adequate transportation.

hinton_2_14.jpg

Some minor restructuring of the Alero Interchange, including new lights for safety.

hinton_2_15.jpg

The Southern approach to the Alero Bridge has been a bit of a bottleneck due to the steep grade of the approach, which was limited by the need for a major monorail interface in the vicinity.

hinton_2_16.jpg

The western approach of the Tyrol Bridge at I-1, where a major construction project is about to get underway to enhance the interchange, and fix the Alero Bridge approach bottleneck.

TEG24601

The City of Hinton

Welcome to Hinton, a struggling port city in the Southwest corner of New Seattle, and the entire United Tegian Republic. The Economy in Hinton takes weird cycles because of the vicinity of Hinton to Tuva Kala.

hinton01.jpg

The Hinton River, flows from the South, and is the major defining feature of Hinton. The port of Hinton is the primary port for the entire Southern section of New Seattle, and the surrounding cities

hinton02.jpg

The Tryol Bridge crosses the Hinton River near the port, and carries SR-980 across the entire city.

hinton03.jpg

Umaru Bridge carries F-980 while the Vosburu Bridge carries Euclid Street, both connecting the neighborhoods East of the river to I-1.

hinton04.jpg

The Omarion Reservoir hold water for much of the Western neighborhoods of Hinton, was well as serving as a recreation area for the city, away from freight traffic.

hinton05.jpg

F-988's tunnel forms the structure of the Omarion Dam that holds back the Omarion Reservoir.

hinton06.jpg

The Western slopes of the Omarion Hills, leading down to the Omaron Shores neighborhood.

hinton07.jpg

F-1 provides the primary transport through Omarion Shore, and intersects with Airport Road, at the Jozian Circle.

hinton08.jpg

Jozian Bridge carries F-1 from the North to the South of the river.

hinton09.jpg

To the East of Jozian Bridges is the Bridge of Balth, which carries SR-019 and serves to move some of the traffic inland from the waterfront(s).

hinton10.jpg

The Sumaro Neighborhood is the original farming section of Hinton.

hinton11.jpg

The Alero Bridge carries I-1 over the Hinton River. The Cantilever Suspension Bridge is an architectural achievement.

hinton12.jpg

The Alero Interchange provides high-capacity interface between the high-population centers of Northern Hinton and I-1.

hinton13.jpg

A closeup of the Alero Interchange.

hinton14.jpg

A closeup of the Alero Interchange.

hinton15.jpg

A closeup of the Alero Mountain neighborhood.

hinton16.jpg

The Oberto Neighborhood, with F-980 and Euclid passing though to the city immediately to the East... Kobol

TEG24601

New Seattle (the Metro) grew quickly along the coast. Thanks in large part to the Interstate highways build by the federal government shortly after founding. The freeway, having been built first (unlike other cities, like the Capital of Tegville), doesn't often encroach on neighborhoods, because the neighborhoods came later. However, mother nature is not as forgiving. As a result, the interchange between Interstate 1 and Interstate 90 includes some interesting features, including; lefthand entrances/exits, close-form interchanges, and median roadways.

interchange9001_1.jpg

Special pillars were constructed in order to complete the monorail system through this area. The alloy was used to support the standard beams, but is completely transparent. The space created by the Interchange was a perfect location for a small airport, named Dokane Airport, which is over used by the population of New Seattle and is already in need of replacement.

interchange9001_2.jpg

Gilhona St. (on the left side), parallels I-1 through downtown New Seattle (city), and utilizes left exits, median roads, and underpasses to make a full connection to I-90 and Airport Way, and another Interchange was created to add access to I-1, albeit only in the Southbound Direction. Since this image was taken, Gilhona St, has been turned into a one-way couplet with Ariel St. and together, they form the new SR-111, which parallels I-1, but is for local traffic.

interchange9001_3.jpg

The final shot, showing the full interchange, the New Seattle Monorail, Gilhona St., and Airport Way as the all interact with this Interchange.

interchange9001_4.jpg

TEG24601

Alicia Gilhona arrived in what is now Oceanside on June 4th. The land was rugged, and she arrived, solo, with just a caravan, supplies to build a windmill, a tractor, and enough seeds to begin a small farm.

earlyoceanside.jpg

She chose a location near the ocean, on the natural jetty. She built a small home, a farm house, and a small store. Shortly after she moved in, more people began to move to Oceanside, and within a few years, Oceanside was officially incorporated as a Territory Township of the United Tegian Republic.

Gilhonashouse.jpg

The windmill was able to support the small settlement. New Seattle was soon settled further South, followed by Fullerton to the North. As the populations grew, the territory was reincorporated as a the State of Gilhona, in honor of the first settler. Furthermore, as more infrastructure was built, the Tegian Republic reorganized the region of Gilhona, into a Metropolitan Region, and after much debate, it became the New Seattle Metropolitan Region.

gilhona1.jpg

TEG24601

Satellite Imagery of the New Seattle Metropolitan Region prior to settlement. The modern constituent city boundaries are shown overlaying the map. Oceanside is the second city down on the West side of the image. The primary city of New Seattle is the third along the West Side. The East side of the Metro contains a plateau and foot hills of the Miller Mountain Range. The metro is littered with mountain remnants from the massive tectonic activity that use to occur along the West coast of the United Tegian Republic. The large lake in the Northeast section of the metro is Lake Schwab fed from the North by the Schwako River and from the South by the Black River and draining to the ocean via the Schwab River. In the Southwest you will find the Dixon Penninsula, separated from the mainland by the Hinton River.

newseattle_overview1.jpg

TEG24601

New Seattle is a city "on the move". It is just North of the United Tegian Republic border with Johanistan, a friendly neighbor, but with the two countries don't share a common language, making some relations difficult. Just like Tegville, New Seattle is a City of Cities. There are many member cities, each with their own city councils, mayors, etc., however the entire New Seattle Metro Council and Metro Mayor govern on a level above the cities. New Seattle is the capitol of the State of Gilhona, named for Alicia Gilhona an early pioneer who settled in what is now the member city of Oceanside.

You will be able to watch New Seattle, from its humble beginnings to the city renowned for its cultural impact, arts, and entertainment.

More to come soon...