• Views

About this City Journal

A History of Solaria

Entries in this City Journal

Palpatine001

June 11

June 11 NOVEMBER 02 :O

A date to be remembered for Solaria

What will June 11 NOVEMBER 02 hold for this MEGA City and region that has been around since the dawn on SC4 Time

Solaria-1314066649-1.png

June 11 AUGUST 2011

June 11 Second of November 2011 - when Emperor Palpatine Unveils the curtain to what is next for Solaria!!!

(My replacement disk better be here by then too >.< )

NeoSolaria-1320200287.png

Hmmmm the new Colony prehaps? :O

Palpatine001

ImperialCommandCentre-Feb41001303700300.png

I am going to work on a new layout and strategy for my City or rather Mega City Journal.

All will be revealed when I finish the first publication of Solarian Imperium Times - News of Solaria

Auckland-SAM1.jpg

Mean time please click the SC4 Links and check all the work done on Solaria

My sole and proud region since 2003

Here for SOLARIA

Auckland-5wayroundabout.jpg

Palpatine001

While I sort out more pictures (and get SC4 from Steam seeming my 8 year old RH disk crapped out :angry: ) I have decided to give a time line of Regional pictures of Solaria

Starting in 2006 ( I can not find the 2003-2005 shots and If I could I am either being lazy or will add them later :rofl:

Solaria 2006 - Population about 600,000 million

IntrotoSolariaRegion.jpg

The Transit System at the Time

SolarianTransportNetwork.jpg

Solaria at 767,000 and with the new water mod

Solariaupdate2.jpg

It is of note that IPC now holds in 2011 twice the regional population above in one city tile :drool:

First primitive naming of the Imperial State Highway Network

Solaria-Transitupdate4.jpg

More early transit shots

Solaria-Transitupdate3.jpg

Solaria and the first One Million Sims

Solariaat1millionsims.jpg

Solaria at 1.21 million and expanding outside of the two oldest tiles - Rangitoto Town and IPC

Solaria-121mil.jpg

Solaria at 1.6 million

Solaria-updateat16m.jpg

Solaria extending south east into the new tile that will be known as Solarian City (Pop. 1.86m)

Solaria-updateat185mil.jpg

Transit update - taken right after the picture above

Solaria-transitupdate7-1.jpg

Solaria at 2.5 million - and with a layout of the Fukuka Imperial Steel Mill Complexes :golly:

Solaria-steelmillsites-1.jpg

Transit shot of the Picture above (and the first time RHW was used (2008ish)

Solaria-workhereonRHW-1.jpg

Solaria at 2.6m and with names and my actual name :ninja:

Solaria-withnames-1.jpg

Solaria with Dry River Town added

Solaria-withDRT-1.jpg

Seems a tad cloudy in Solaria today

Solaria-ratherovercast-1.jpg

Solaria extending into the Auckland city Tile

SolariawithAKL-1.jpg

Solaria expanding

Solaria-expandingintoauckland.jpg

Expanding even more

Solaria-mostrecent-1.jpg

Solaria at 3.15 million Sims

Solaria-1282621751.png

Solaria at 3.5 million

Solaria-1283235963.png

Transit Shot late 2010

Solaria-1294374227.png

The Most Recent Regional Transit Pic - Feb 2011

SolariaTransportJan2011.png

And Solaria as of Feb 2011

Solaria-1298173528.png

Right once I get a new version of SC4 Deluxe fitted to my new PC I will be off with more urban renewal and virgin greenfield development as Solaria consumes all that is around here :evil:

Palpatine001

Right after find the lost pictures (in a obscure folder called SC4 CJ Pics), I have uploaded all 279 into photobucket.

It is now time to display them here to see the Growth Years of Solaria.

This entry will be dedicated to IPC's Growth Years.

Most will be pictures, but there will be some text as well.

Starting off from where we left off at the end of 2005, the end of the Rush Hour Transition Period

The Regional Shots

IntrotoSolariaRegion.jpg

Solaria beginning of 2006, as you can see IPC is growing while Rangitoto Town has filled out its entire city tile.

At this time the first new city tile development since Rush Hour was installed two three years earlier is under way in Solarian Point.

It makes Solarian Point the third oldest city tile in Solaria and the 2nd largest population wise in the game.

ImperialCommandCentre-pretty.jpg

First thing to do was replace my poorly designed Central Control Tower with one the late OP4 made. I think the tower as the main spire for all of Solaria was rather fitting, however I will not landscape the area until 2011, some five years later.

MyPlace.jpg

My place - at the other end of Imperial Mesa. A lot I redesigned way back in 2004 and have not changed it since.

IPCatnight.jpg

Solaria at night - circa 2007

TheHub.jpg

The Hub - the one place in IPC that always will be redeveloped year after year. Here you can see the ad-hoc development around the main exhibition centre for Solaria. A Simtropolis Convention was once held here, as well as the annual Solarian Fair, the IPS Galaxy Expo and the Imperial Conference.

OldCBD.jpg

This is where the old CBD of IPC and Solaria was before it got moved 600 meters down the road.

ImperialCommandCentre-Redevelopment1.jpg

The industry you see there will be later developed into high density residential and commercial space for the fast growing population of IPC.

ImperialCommandCentre-superrestowers.jpg

To help accommodate the population squeeze, super towers were build before CAM was authorised in Solaria. These towers can hold over 5,000 sims with the later CAM buildings holding even MORE! Three of these complexes were build in IPC.

ImperialCommandCentre-op4tower.jpg

Another one of OP4s creations, the Tornado Tower. Here Imperial Products and Services have their head office. IPS bringing you products and services, the Solarian Way - cause we are out of this world for you :ohyes:

ImperialCommandCentre-PlazaworkNSD.jpg

Underground Plaza's they work great with very high density development surrounding them, must remind myself to use more of them, especially at North Lake!

ImperialCommandCentre-FederatinDrivelinkup.jpg

The extension of State Highway Two (Federation Drive). In the past you would of come down State Highway Two and hit the T-Junction with left (right in the pic) going to Rangitoto Town and right (left in the pic) to Auckland via South Solaria and State Highway One. To get to Solarian Point would of had to make a 40 minute looping detour via either the Great Solarian Road or Jupiter Road. Now with Federation Drive extended from the upgraded Cloverleaf, Solaria has its main North/South Highway extending from the top of the region right the way through to State Highway 21 and Solarian Island. (State Highway One forms the East/West thoroughfare link.

ImperialCommandCentre-FurtherexpresslinkFeddrive.jpg

The Express Link running over a very busy East/West main road. Federation Drive (State Highway Two) runs on the western flanks of Neo Solarian District a.k.a Downtown. This area is extremely densely developed (in fact the most densely developed in all of Solaria) with traffic problems plaguing the area.

I might either turn the entire route into a motorway or go MAVE-6 with more OWR's around it to move the traffic more efficiently.

LastofthespaceatIPC.jpg

The second of the last greenfield development in IPC - this was 2008 when the last of the fresh development on virgin land took place. Low density houses were built here originally but as of 2011, this has been replaced by 40 storey appartment blocks

ImperialCommandCentre-lastarea.jpg

This is the last virgin land development in IPC. This was laid out 2008 and quickly developed into medium density residential development (before the redevelopment of North Lake). It is located on the north-western side of IPC and Imperial Mesa. It is technically not the most desirable area to live with Palpatine Internationale Airport right next door, as well as heavy industry! However on the upside, Imperial Mesa Park (fields and bush) does surround the as well as the towering mesa itself!

ImperialCommandCentre-updatedoverallview1.jpg

Imperial Command Centre circa 2009/2010

One thing about Solaria is that; over the years (8.5 to be exact) the entire region at sometime gets redeveloped.

You could say its like how real life cities go: the start, grow, decline, regrow, mature, redevelopment and mature some more.

This is no different with Solaria, it started with IPC and has expanded outwards ever since.

Every so often whole scale greenfield development will take place as the mega city continues to expand.

Stay tuned as I prepare three more entries on Solaria: One on Rangitoto Town, One on the region and the other on show cases of other tiles from 2006-2009 :thumb:

Palpatine001

While transferring files from my old PC to my new turbo charge; I had discovered 206 lost pictures.

Pictures of Solaria from 2007 to 2009!

Once I have them sorted and uploaded, I'll show them RIGHT HERE in this very CJ!

Great find, and a the gap that needed to be plugged can now be :golly:

So stand by while - I sort through all these pics :O

Palpatine001

Today on the 25 of April in the Year of our Lord 2011, Imperial Command Centre my oldest, largest, most advanced longest played city tile at eight years four months real life time celebrated her 100th SIM BIRTHDAY

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

:party: HAPPY BIRTHDAY IMPERIAL COMMAND CENTRE :party:

:party: MAY THE NEXT 100 YEARS BRING AS MUCH PLEASURE AS THE LAST 100 HAVE :party:

:party::thumb::party::thumb::party::thumb::party::thumb::party:

And here she is as of the end of game time today

ImperialCommandCentre-Feb41001303700300.png

HAIL IMPERIAL COMMAND CENTRE AND SOLARIA

And here is the index link to look at all the pictures I have loaded into photobucket

CLICK HERE FOR SIM CITY 4 PICs

Palpatine001

So we now move onto to Imperial Command Centre post 2006.

From here you will see my oldest and largest city tile evolve into what she is today - but first a recap.

ImperialCommandCentre-Apr27311073867724.png

This is Imperial Command Centre in 2006, after the last of the Rush Hour Transition was complete - however we now move to the 2006-2009 period where the city at a fundamental level would change.

Hope you have photographic memories as this will be more picture then text laden! :boggle::party::thumb:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Right lets test those memories

ImperialCommandCentre-Sep18431157406062.png

The South East ^^^^^^ (CBD, The Hub and Downtown)

ImperialCommandCentre-Sep18431157405798.png

The North East ^^^^^^ (Wiri)

ImperialCommandCentre-Sep18431157406461.png

The North West ^^^^^^ (Imperial Space Centre and Industrial District, plus Imperial Mesa and North Lake)

ImperialCommandCentre-Sep18431157406320.png

The South West ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (Main Connection to Auckland and South Solaria are here)

ImperialCommandCentre-Sep18431157406188.png

And finally the South ^^^^^^^

If you take a look between the South shot above (the real historic shot above that) and the next picture below (2011), you can try and fathom the huge changes Imperial Command Centre has undergone over a four year period.

ImperialCommandCentre-Jul30921283222830.png

The question is, What is the Power that produces this change. And do real life cities go through such massive transformations and Imperial Command Centre.

Also a feat in itself was turning IPC from a little dirt town of 2000 peeps and farms to a megalopolis of 1.4 million (the picture above is already obsolete, and from a car centric city to a walking/mass transit dominated city!

Right, that is all I'll post for now

I'll add another sub entry to this one some time later on.

But first lunch :blush:

Oh and make your own stories out of the pictures above, I am not going to write essays on each one :nyah:

Palpatine001

Right, after some historic Pre Rush Hour shots (ugly wasn't it 14.gif), it is time to look at the transition to Rush Hour in the capital.

Rush Hour came out soon after the original SC4 was released. So after Imperial Command Centre and Rangitoto Town were founded, massive upgrades were needed to facilitate the new transit options as well as the features of NAM that would be released over time.

Fortunately, Rush Hour was advertised in advance so IPC was future proofed (somewhat :ooh: ) to allow for things like avenues.

ImperialCommandCentre-Apr22321074030998.png

As you can see in what would become the Wiri Industrial District, the old 2 lane roads with parks down middle acting as medians were changes to one way roads. Avenues also started replacing high occupancy use areas such as neighbourhood connections.

Effectively for the next 6 years real time, Solaria would become a car orientated city; with transit systems adapted to it. Although efforts were made to make mass transit better and more efficient.

ImperialCommandCentre-Feb10071053918963.png

You can see the amount of work to be done

Right, I'll be right back

Just have to upload the first more modern pics of IPC to show the progress.

Will edit this entry when it happens

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Right next sub entry to this main one

ImperialCommandCentre-May26321074032439.png

As we can see, more RH material and transit systems were added to IPC. Avenues, One-way roads, Monorail (later HSR)and also later NAM were heavily utilised in getting sims moving about the large city.

Looking at the picture above I notice a few things:

First being where the Main CBD is. The actual CBD years later would move north west (so the other side of the motorway)and become The Hub - the centre point of Solaria with the capital institutions next door.

Second; where the Main CBD is now, would become Down-town which flows into Solarian Point down south.

Third: Where the Britomart Transport Hub is, that gets relocated to The Hub and the land becomes residential and commercial development.

And last of all, where you can see two neighbourhood connections to the east (Rangitoto Town), major upgrades would happen such as new a new motorway, more mass transit and denser development - all which can be seen as time progresses in IPC.

ImperialCommandCentre-May26321074032497.png

From 2004-2006 real life time, this area would become the primary CBD and hub for the entire Solarian Region. Not much here at the moment aye :D

But this is what it would become

ImperialCommandCentre-Nov7931298171299.png

Now then, back to some more shots from 2006

ImperialCommandCentre-May26321074032539.png

2006: Some low density stuff as the capital continues to expand. Although we have a highway, some EL Light Rail, and NO connection to Solarian Point (would be bottom of the picture) as that city tile was not even thought of yet and wouldn't be for two more years.

Also, the shot above if you look to the 2011 picture above THAT shows the differences this area would go under. The industry would relocate to the north of the tile and the area becoming Downtown. Federation Drive (State Highway Two) as well as other highway extensions would be built, and a fusion reactor would be located here.

The comparison of the pictures does show the evolution of IPC over eight years.

ImperialCommandCentre-May26321074032836.png

Another area to under go mass change. Heck even Palpatine Lake would be partially filled in to satisfy the hunger of land needed for development. After all, there is 210,000 people living in the tile when that shot was taken - compared to 1.3 million in the 2011 shot somewhere above.

ImperialCommandCentre-May26321074032894.png

Something that will be nearly impossible to find now in IPC - virgin green fields

Essentially all the land that could be used has been used for development in IPC

What green fields are left are all city "parks" for various reasons (such as airport buffers)

So then what to do to cram more people in the city - we go UP!!!

ImperialCommandCentre-May26321074033209.png

Even this area to the north west would under go massive change

ImperialCommandCentre-Aug31931298171139.png

As seen right here, the 2011 shot :O :O :O

ImperialCommandCentre-Apr27311073867724.png

The last Transition to Rush Hour Pic of Imperial Command Centre

We know head to post 2006 and watch this mega city tile evolve to what it is today 8)

To Keep the entries manageable and readable, I'll divide the IPC story up into separate entries.

Just watch the Entry Title to know where you are.

Eventually I will create a contents - when I can be bothered :ducky:

Palpatine001

Well after a rather long winded approach into Solaria, and with the wide regional shots; it is time to get down to the City Tiles themselves and take a microscope to what makes Solaria - Solaria.

Note - writing and photos complete, but not the formatting. That will come later - more to the point when I can be err bothered 18.gif

So feel free to comment 10.gif

This entry we take a look at the oldest and largest tile in Solaria - Imperial Command Centre (a.k.a The Capital)

Imperial Command Centre during the day

ImperialCommandCentre-Oct1931298171216.png

IPC during Twilight

ImperialCommandCentre-Aug31931298171139.png

IPC at night (looking more over the Wiri Industrial District to the north of the tile)

The Facts on Imperial Command Centre

Tile Number: 001 (It was the first tile founded and is the regional capital 49.gif )

Founded: February 2003 (Real Life Time)

Age of City: 94 Sim Years Old

Population: 1,304,896 (approximate)

Planning Methodology: Mixed and Ad-Hoc semi planned organic growth

Attractions of Note:

• Imperial Mesa
  • The Emperor's House
  • Central Control Spire
  • Solarian Air Force Base
  • Imperial Space Centre
  • The Hub
  • Solarian Movie Studios
  • The Bunker
  • Palpatine International Airport
  • Old Imperial State Fair Grounds

Imperial Command Centre was founded in February 2003 (same month as Solaria) and by default is my longest running (and largest) city I have running to date. That is right, for 8 very long years - Imperial Command Centre (along with Rangitoto Town) has been built, demolished, rebuilt and altered as new aspects to the game (such as Rush Hour and NAM) and you know what - I still "play" with the tile and it still gives me GREAT satisfaction as builder, overlord and urban/transport designer.

The first part of Imperial Command Centre was built Pre-Rush Hour Days - that is right PRE Rush Hour 46.gif and subsequently upgraded when Rush Hour came along. Ironically IPC (and the rest of Solaria) will usually be "upgraded" each time a new major NAM update is released - so essentially IPC is in its 7th evolutionary phase.

Just as a side note - Solaria is my sole region that I have played and built since 2003 - no other region has been built since the Solaria - so yip, she is my one and only nation!!! 36.gif

ImperialCommandCentre-Feb10071053919057-1.png

This is IPC when she was essentially founded in February 2003 - a virgin and rather ugly pre modded Maxis landscape.

Note: Historic Pictures have been lost over the years, so what little I have will be shown here.

I am aware you can see a Mayor's House and some parks on top of Imperial Mesa - that would be from Imperial Command Centre being a wee wee village of 5,000 just to the right of the photo. But essentially what I am showing you - was the landscape right back at the beginning - both the ground and Palpatine Lake.

ImperialCommandCentre-Feb10071053918963.png

This shot is about 7 Sim Years or 2 months real life later after the founding of Solaria and Imperial Command Centre.

At this time, the population of the tile would have been about 30,000 and what's more is that this was all built PRE RUSH HOUR. No avenues, EL rail and I think no One Way Roads - just roads, streets, heavy rail, subway and Maxis Elevated Highways 17.gif!

However you can see some basic planning aspects and features that I would have used that stay with Solaria in 2011. You can see the first highway running that began moving sims efficiently from the capital to Te Puke out east (right) and eventually South Solaria to the south - this highway would be known as Palpatine Highway or STATE HIGHWAY ONE (the flagship highway). The usual practice of its time (and still practised somewhat today 2011) of the absolute separation of the RCI (residential, commercial and industrial) zones was in use here (and as can be seen) thus the island affects you can see in the shot. One thing that was trialled at the time and was considered advanced then but common practice now; was the creation of "Development Islands" surrounded by major transit infrastructure to keep sims happy.

It was discovered that residential sims did not like high road noise often produced by major roads (and later and especially avenues), so what I started to do and can started to be seen on the right was I used the major roads to create a square or rectangle "island" grid/ring. Inside that ring would be a secondary ring 1 or 2 tiles apart in the inside from the major ring - with spokes connecting the two rings. Then inside the secondary ring the zone of choice would be placed along with some parks, an odd bus stop/subway station and maybe a library. In between the two rings though would be the major bus stops, subway stations where applicable, a rail line of one ran through and public parking garages for park in ride - as well more parks/trees acting as a buffer. The idea is that sims would mostly drive from their interior to the Public Parking Garages and switch over to mass transit to complete their trips to their work place and vice versa and for most part before Simulator Z it some what worked (about 40%). The only catch was that the exit/entry points between the major and secondary rings would get congested - until Rush Hour, Simulator Z and some better planning fixed that problem.

ImperialCommandCentre-Feb10071053919000.png

Further south towards what would be Solarian Point

You can see the Development Island system in place albeit rather primitively where there is 2 sets of parallel roads (with trees in the middle) running down then left towards State Highway One. If you get your electron microscope out, you can see a single road connection east to Rangitoto Town in what would be the first neighbour tile connection.

Strangely the route for avenues is pre mapped out here while maintaining the 'Development Ring' system when they (the avenues) would eventually come out in Rush Hour.

In my next entry or as an edit to this update - the transition between Pre Rush Hour IPC and Post Rush Hour IPC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two of the Entry

Some more historic Pre Rush Hour photos of Imperial Command Centre

ImperialCommandCentre-Jul18161055743135.png

Ok that was the last Pre Rush Hour shot that I could find - the above being the Capital extending to the south west.

In the next entry - we take a look at the transition as I literally rip up half the city tile, as I begin adding the features that came in Rush Hour.

Oooooo the destruction and disruption I cause to 300,000 sims as the city gets a massive make over and upgrade11.gif

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA 17.gif

Palpatine001

Just a quick note on where I am

This CJ and the Region Solaria is pretty much like my real life planning I do for Veolia Transport Auckland

Hopefully Saturday or Sunday New Zealand Time I should be able to get some more pics up starting with Imperial Command Centre (the Capital and largest tile)

Stay Tuned 44.gif

Palpatine001

IN continuing to give the lay down of Solaria before going back in time, I produced some shots of physical and social points of interest in Solaria.

SolariaMarch2011physicalgeography.png

Starting with Physical Geography of Solaria.

In the Cold Hard Facts entry I had stated several names within Solaria herself, the above photo puts physical geographic names to names mentioned earlier. Two names omitted are [insert your name here Island] - the top island in the Solarian River, and Kate Beveridge Island to the extreme west near Ross Strait.

As one can see, Solaria offers a many range of physical geographic qualities for your enjoyment, from snow peaked mountains to low rolling ranges, from a river to a harbour and ocean, many bays and islands as well as generous flat land and forests. Reminds me of New Zealand and Canada - inside a compact region 9.gif

SolariaMarch2011PointsofInterest.png

For some points of interest on the Human Geography Side

Solaria is a very diverse region with a mix of open space, rural farmland with small villages, low density suburbs, town centres/hubs as well as to the uber density skyscraper jungle of The Core. The region has many styles of living and work as well as educational, civic and recreational facilities at your disposal.

Although there is countless things to be said of Solaria, I'll go through the named ones here

Palpatine International Airport: The Main International Gateway (air wise) to Solaria, PIA handles 70% of International and 50% of domestic travel to and from Solaria. PIA is next to Imperial Mesa home of the Imperial Palace and Central Control (The Bureaucracy) as well as on major transit links to the rest of Solaria, both rural and urban. There are several other smaller international and domestic airports that are either back up or supplementary to PIA such as South Solarian International Airport (serving the financial district) and Auckland Airport (serving Auckland)

Imperial Palace and Central Control: Located on Imperial Mesa, the Imperial Palace and Central Control are home to the Emperor himself , the Imperial Senate and The Bureaucracy that runs Solaria. The Imperial Palace is set on wide grounds and has the Diplomatic Corps next to it, while Central Control operates out of Solarian Imperial Spire, The Central Communications Array and in conjunction with the Imperial Senate - The Bunker inside the Mesa itself. The Bureaucracy as it is known by Solarians is a bewildering and complex machine that administers Solaria effectively and most of efficiently. The Solarian Imperial Spire is the tallest structure in Solaria and can be seen nearly any where in the region - the Spire itself is a tourist attraction.

Wiri: The oldest and largest industrial district in Solaria. Once a home of dirty industry, Wiri now houses the forefront in High Technology facilities that are beyond world class. Wiri also houses the industrial machine that fuels the Imperial Space Centre to the north west of IPC.

The Hub: Located to the south east of Imperial Mesa, the Hub is the true Core of Cores in terms of activity and power. The Hub houses the Palpatine Convention Centre, Palpatine Arena and the Imperial Stock Exchange; The Hub also houses several State Owned Enterprise HQ's, private enterprises HQ's, the City Zoo, several high end World Hotels and accompanying facilities used in lobby the Imperial Government. The Hub is connected by heavy rail, subway and a High Speed Rail System that allows ease of transportation across the mega city and region. Large scale events such as the Imperial Solarian Fair, The Galaxy Convention, The Global Business Fair and The Lifestyle Convention are all held at the hub (with the Imperial Solarian Fair (show casing all thing Solarian) being the largest).

Downtown: The large sprawling high density development over three tiles that houses a multiple array of offices, retail, hospitality, civic and recreational facilities. The University of South Solaria is located towards the southern end of Downtown (in the Solarian Point Tile) and the Imperial University located at the northern end of Downtown (in IPC) both of which offer high class educational and research facilities Solaria has to offer. Downtown (Neo Solaria) is connected by a comprehensive subway and rail system as well as several high capacity avenues and highways which buses operate on. Right at the southern end of Downtown is Solarian Strait where is a board walk that stretches from Solarian Point to Solarian City. Imperial Botanical Gardens are located to the South East of Downtown for those wanting some green space in such a mega city.

Solarian Financial District: Located on Solarian Island at the south end of Solaria, Solarian Financial District is home to the economic power house of Solaria (The Hub is home of the Political Power). Major financial corporation HQ's can be found here along with the Benson Road (The Solarian Stock Exchange) and the Solarian Island Convention Centre (home of the Simax Convention of Gaming). The Solarian Financial District is located on the Solarian Point Tile to the south of The Capital Tile and served by several highways, the Solarian Island Rail Line, subway and ferries. Solarian Financial District (on Solarian Island) is known for the complex underground (Big Dig) highway system which The Emperor decided would be better then surface highways. The Solarian Island Expressway (State Highway 21) runs the width of the island and is underground with several highways connecting to it either by big dig tunnels (such as Benson Road Highway) or surface routes such as Federation Drive (State Highway 2 via Old Solarian Bridge).

Solarian Docks: One of six primary docks scattered round Solaria (both fresh and salt water docks). Solarian Docks is located in the large deep water Solarian Bay (Solarian Point Tile) and handles mixed cargo both dry and bulk (but not container) as well as a garbage portal (hail Simpeg's tip your crap over the edge of abyss mod 17.gif). Solarian Docks is served by both rail and road and handles roughly 60% of all non containerised cargo in Solaria. It is a point of interest due to several "board walks" that stem from either side of the port and is a favourite for ship watchers to "watch ships" enter and leave the port. On the business side, Solarian Docks is often the first port of call for import/export needs for customers unless you have specialised cargo that might either go through container or bulk terminals. Solarian Docks contains one of two cruise ship terminals located in Solaria.

West Solarian Mall: Located on Solarian Point (in Solarian Point Tile), West Solarian Mall is one of two current large scale Suburban Class malls in Solaria. I mention this mall as Solaria has a history of more small scale retail developments (usually 4x4 and 6x6 individual department store type) that has favoured Solaria's individuality over chain stores. Connected by road and subway yet not far from heavy rail, West Solarian Mall attracts Solarians from all over wanting that large mall experience. Both multinational and domestic brands can be found at this mall.

South Solarian Hub: Located on the fringe between The Core and Auckland District (in the South Solaria Tile); South Solarian Hub is an example of one of the planning methodologies I adopted for Solaria. This and several other Town Centre Class Hubs (regardless of density) served as localised town centres for surrounding residential areas. These T.C.H's like South Solaria will often house "remote support" offices to large corporation HQ's found in further in The Core (such as the IPC Tile) and smaller scale retail to serve local residents when they don't want to travel to larger facilities (although saying that Suburban Class Malls can be an centre point for a T.C.H like on Solarian Point itself). Like most Town Centre Hubs, South Solarian Hub is well served by most transit options such as road, rail, subway/EL Rail and some times highways or High Speed Rail.

Solarian Deep Water Oil Terminal: Located in South Solaria on South Coast, the SDWOT allows huge super tankers to load and unload their petrochemical goods to and from the terminal. The terminal then has a pipeline connected to it running underneath Solaria to transport the goods to countless refineries and other industries through out the region. Solaria is a net importer of Crude Oil based goods.

Auckland: Located on the western side of Solaria, Auckland is a semi-independent city tile with its own support city tiles and infrastructure. The purpose of Auckland was to set up a more freer city away from the influence and planning ideologies of The Core and Eastern Fringes of the region - however is connected to The Core via many transit links including High Speed Rail and its own airport. Auckland is the only more "planned city" tile where building/planning is more carried out thoroughly then the ad-hoc planning method in The Core. One thing that helps with Auckland's independent nature is the Kaimai Ranges creating a barrier between Auckland and the rest of Solaria - the Ranges force most transit options to go around the southern tip of the ranges adding significant time. However there are three primary over the ranges transit routes, one being the High Speed Rail, three sets of "avenues" and the Auckland Bypass - a RHW 2 and 4 class highway connecting State Highways 1 and 3 in The Core to State Highway 1 in Auckland (saving 25 mins off the round the tip trip). Auckland houses basically everything else you expect to find in Solaria and has the other Suburban Class Mall (currently trading).

Solarian Bulk Terminal: Located on the western side of The Solarian Entrance/Harbour, SBT handles 70% of all bulk goods in and out of Solaria (not requiring a super tanker) as of current. Like most other ports in Solaria it is served by road and rail and is a common spot for ship watchers to watch movements. Solarian Bulk Terminal is unique however in the fact it deals with 90% of exportable Solarian High Grade Coal to the world (the coal is mined on the East Solarian Plans near Dry River Channel Tile and the north west Kaimai Ranges (Solaria is a net coal exporter). SBT is also unique in the fact that it has facilities to transfer goods from salt water international ships to smaller fresh water or domestic coastal shipping/barges that move material up and down the Solarian River and vice versa. SBT also houses one of four current large central logistic hubs.

Solarian World and Cruise Ship Terminal: Located in the centre of Solarian City Tile with Solarian Harbour as its edge, Solarian World and Cruise Ship Terminal is home of Solaria's only and largest theme park as well as the second cruise ship terminal. Solarian World took me 2 months real time to painstakingly build one Solarian City was founded and in its early stages of development. The Park now houses every theme park ride available as well as a heliport and of course the cruise terminal. Every year 3 million people pass through the gates of Solarian World - which is connected by road, rail, subway, ferry and helicopter. Solarian World have their own dedicated bus system, shuttling patrons to and from the park to points all over the region including Auckland - it is easy as parking your car at your local park and ride, then catching a free Solarian World Bus to enjoy a great day out 39.gif. Solarian World also houses several hotels and high end apartment blocks for tourists to stay in. Solarian World is a 15 minute walk to Stadia Solaria Superior - Solaria's large rugby stadium.

Palpatine Imperial Arts and Theatre Galleries: Located on [insert Name Here] Island at the mouth of Solarian Harbour/River, the main art and theatre galleries house all the fine arts and theatre productions the world and Solaria have to offer. The galleries are served by the Solarian Island Highway (State Highway 21) and Solarian Island Subway Line with parking some what of an issue on the island. The island also houses the Solarian Grand Casino and Hotel to provide even more entertainment to Solarian's and tourists alike. There is never a weekend without some on at the Galleries or the Casino so stop by and enjoy the night life it has to hold.

Solarian Container Docks: Located on the South Coast of the Solarian City Tile, the SCD handles 95% of all international exportable and importable container traffic. SCD is next to Solarian City Airport but houses a large rail logistic transfer yard to speedily transfer containers on and off ships and move them to one of four Imperial Central Logistic Hubs scattered around Solaria for further transloading to either other trains or to trucks. At the moment SCD is bottlenecked due to its location and transit restrictions, thus a second container terminal will open in Auckland later on this year (real time). Point of fact: Solarian Container Docks is built on 100% reclaimed land.

Stadia Solaria Superior: Located in Solarian City, SSS is home of the Solarian Imperials Rugby Team with the stadium holding 75,000 people. SSS can also house large scale music concerts that the two circular arenas in Solarian Island and Imperial Command Centre might not be able to hold. SSS is well served by transit links with highways, recently expanded rail and subways all connecting to the large stadium and designed to empty the stadium grounds out and away with 60 minutes. There is redevelopment around SSS under way with further road and rail upgrades to help move fans to and from the stadium faster, as well as new accommodation being built to bring fans closer to the grounds. The Emperor himself frequents SSS to see the home team play!

Mall of Solaria: Also located in Solarian City, MoS is the large grand central mall of Solaria. Home to over 300 international and Solarian retailers and food outlets, MoS is a fan to shopoholics and movie goers every where. When the mall was built, a portion of State Highway Five was buried under the mall, and two main avenues diverted around the mall - AND the mall is still expanding!!! MoS is well served by transit options with three motorways (State Highways 3, 5 and 10), the main South Solaria Rail Line, subway lines and a bus terminal. MoS is the only mall to have paid parking as mass transit to the site is highly encouraged. MoS is number 3 on the top 5 things to do in Solaria.

The Core and Auckland District: See Planning Methodology (next entry)

There are four road/highway bridges, three rail bridges and one tunnel connecting the two halves of Solaria (via the Solarian River or Harbour). The individual road bridges are named in the picture above and all the bridges/tunnel serve as critical life lines to Solaria. The Great Solarian Bridge (State Highway Three) is the grandest of all bridges and is a tourist attraction in its own right!

Well that is all from me

Stay Tuned as I bring the Planning Methodology of Solaria and actual City Tile pics (starting with Imperial Command Centre)

Palpatine001

Solaria-1298173528.png

The Facts

Name of the Region: Solaria

Founded: March 2003

Overlord of the region: Why ME of Course 17.gif

Topography: Primarily flat land contained by straddling mountains on the western and eastern flanks. One river flowing from the north and draining to the Great Solarian Ocean via Solarian Harbour towards the south east. The Solarian River is currently one channel although a second now dry channel can be found to the east of the main channel. Flood protection schemes in place to prevent flooding into the old dry channel. One inlet starting from the capital (Imperial Command Centre) which runs north into Solarian River; there is also one lake in Solaria and is located south west of Imperial Mesa (in IPC) - the lake has been 40% reclaimed over time. There are 9 islands ranging from bridge connection at the Mid Solarian River Sector, to undeveloped islands further upstream of the river, to the semi-developed islands at Te Puke and Auckland (south west), to fully developed islands starting from Rangitoto (in Rangitoto Town which is roughly the centre of the map), to Great Solarian Island which acts as a buffer to the Solarian Strait to finally [insert name here] Island at the mouth of the Solarian River/Harbour. There are countless bays through out the entire coastal and river network of Solaria.

Climate: Temperate although prone to Polar Storms from the south via the Great Solarian Ocean

Population: According to the photo; 3,694,754

Largest Tile by Population: Imperial Command Centre (Capital) - 1,300,000 as of Feb 2011

Note: The actual City of Solaria is known as Neo Solaria.

Solaria is the name of the Region Proper, Neo Solaria is the Urban Megalopolis spanning over many tiles within Solaria (The Region) itself, names such as Imperial Command Centre and Rangitoto Town are names of individual developed tiles (think of tiles as suburbs or individual Metropolises that join together to give the Megalopolis)

Demographics: Various depending where in the region you go

Total Development: As of March 2011 some 40% of Solaria is developed whether it be rural or urban. Strictly speaking 35% of Solaria as a whole is urban development

Age of the oldest tile: IPC and Rangitoto Town - both founded 2003 pre Rush Hour days and are 88 and 94 years old respectively Sim Time

Capital Tile: Imperial Command Centre

Government: Centralised Imperial Senate ruled by The Emperor, each tile is represented in the Imperial Senate by a Senator (Mayor in other terms). Senators and the Vice Chancellor (2nd in Command after the Emperor and Leader of the Senate) are elected by the people every 4 years

Currency: Imperial Dollar

Religion: None

Language: English

Regional Sports: Rugby and Netball

Economy: Strictly speaking Solaria is a Social Liberal society in general, in saying that while the Imperial Bureaucracy keeps tabs on most things like transportation, education, health, welfare, police, fire and civil defence; capitalism is allowed to flourish in Solaria so long as regulations governing the Imperial Bill of Rights and Imperial Universal Code of Conduct are not breached. The Imperial Bureaucracy does have several State Owned Enterprises in Solaria that operate under commercial directions. (In Simple Terms, McDonalds is allowed to operator in Solaria, but the company is highly encouraged to offer more then the Imperial Minimum Wage and offer all employees further training that can be subsidised by the State)

Now armed with the basics, it is time to arm you with the nuts and bolts of the Solarian Transportation System - as believe me, it is easy to get lost in this mega city

First a photo

Solaria-1294374227.png

Note, this is a raw shot and does not include things like Big Dig Highways and the RHW, this shot was also taken before the first tram line was built in Rangitoto Town

An Edited Shot showing all additions to the network will be added later

As of March 2011, Solaria has an extremely complex integrated transportation network to move 3.6 million sims and tourists around the region

The Solarian Imperial Transportation System (that is the network entire (air, land, sea and space)) is administered by the Imperial Transport Board with several sub boards underneath it out of Central Control in Imperial Command Centre. Actual Control Centres are located in the Imperial Mesa Bunker and remote sites through out the region. The objective of the ITB is to build,maintain and run the entire transportation infrastructure of Solaria - no private companies operate the mass transit system in Solaria per law however private operators will use the seaport, airport and ground logistics facilities per contractual agreement with ITB's Finance Arm.

To maintain simplicity I will list the Sub Boards that operate the actual transit system

Roading including Highway, Tunnels and Bridges are operated by the Imperial Road Board

Rail Infrastructure (rails, bridges, tunnels, passenger/freight stations, subway network, tram lines and passenger rolling stock) is operated by the Imperial Rail Authority. Freight Trains and rolling stock are either owned by private companies or in partnership with Solarian Freighters and Logistics (a Solarian State Owned Enterprise)

Sea Ports: Imperial Port Authority

Ferry Terminals and the boats themselves: Imperial Water Transit Group (A Subsidiary and Partnership between the Imperial Port Authority and Solarian Freighters and Logistics)

Airports: (Imperial Airways Board)

Buses including facilities and depots: Solarian Freighters and Logistics (A Solarian State Owned Enterprise)

Now the above are who own or run the physical transportation units - however it is the Imperial Transportation Operation Systems that oversee the running of the transit system such as mass transit timetables which is a bugger of job believe me.

Solaria-1294374270.png

Here is a transit map with tile borders indicating individual tiles that make up Solaria - although Tauranga in the SE corner isn't in the shot yet.

Even without the Big Dig Tunnels and RHW you can see the some what ad-hoc ness of the transit system. The Highways do not form perfect loops or even thoroughfares through the city, however the mass transit system including rail and subway more then make up for it and according to the last look at the graphs - move on average 60% combined of Solaria's population to and from work.

On average it takes 70 minutes to go from one side of Solaria to the over, or 25 minutes to go from one side of Imperial Command Centre to the other.

The Imperial Mass Transit System uses integrated ticketing - so its one smart card for all transit options including paying at one of only four toll plazas in Solaria (2 in the Capital and 2 in Rangitoto Town)

One highlight being that Imperial Command Centre is a walking city with pedestrians making up 70% of transit movements in the city. Now that means those 70% will go catch another transit option EXCEPT cars so thumbs up on

the fact the Capital isn't dominated by the car 39.gif

Another fact is that except for 4 tiles all of the mass transit systems in Solaria produce between 15% and 300% profit even with funding maxed out

Well that is all for now

More as I go sifting through photos getting them ready to post here for your enjoyment

Stay Tuned

Palpatine001

Hello

Well this would be my third attempt at a C.J after the first was a test and the second on Solaria I gave up a LONG TIME AGO.

So my third attempt will show case the history of my second region but the region I have had since 2003 when SC4 first came out - the region of Solaria.

This CJ using footage once thought lost will show how Solaria started from nothing and grew in the bustling megalopolis that it is today.

So then, how did Solaria go from THIS:

ImperialCommandCentre-Feb10071053919057-1.pngt

2003 shot (PRE Rush Hour Days)

TO THIS

ImperialCommandCentre-Feb10071053918963-1.png

Imperial Command Centre (the Capital tile) Pre Rush Hour

TO THIS

And this as of Feb 2011

Solaria-1298173528.png

So Solaria has a story to tell from a the founding turning of the first sod of dirt to a mega city of near 4 million people

This is HER story and one I will share with you

Her and My Pride of Joy

SOLARIA 10.gif