• Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A gritty town on America's Mid-Atlantic Coast

Entries in this City Journal

Mista-J

Anthracite

Replies

Canadiansim: Ah well, it's an elite group :) Your CJ is great by the way :thumb:

Treka: Thanks!

Packersfan: Thank you

Hyronymus: Yep, it does take quite a while. The rail viaduct is just Mas71's Japanese Wall Setlined with ploppable grass(I think this is the right link, but i'm not 100% sure)

Kabinator: Yeah probably not, I guess it has to back up and go left

Jamesrules: Thanks!

Pielover94: Thanks!

Hmm: Thank's for your comment. The traffic signals are The HBS HD Traffic Lights Mod

Vampiregirl: Thank you!

Shoko: Thanks

Hafren: Thanks for your comment. Yep, the rocks are NBVC's Rip-Rap Sea Wall

Estates to the Real: Thanks! The green coloring is just part of the sea wall.

Time for another (very) short update :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There once was a time, long since past, when Rock Creek was almost inseparable from its coal. The city's

rowhomes depended upon it's warmth to last through the unpredictable Mid-Atlantic winter, while factory

smokestack's spewed countless tons of it into the air, coating buildings and lungs with a thick, yet

economically reassuring layer of grime. Today, after a series of clean air acts, the sky is noticeably

cleaner, and coal is not nearly so visible. Yet it is still vital to the every day economy, forming over

70% of the area's raw-materials trade.

simsimbalt27.jpg

simsimbalt28.jpg

Coal has even come to define whole neighborhoods, such as Lignite village, named after the poor quality

coal once processed at a local facility.

simsimbalt29.jpg

Mista-J

La Vista

Replies

James Kevin and Escilnavia: Thanks! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it's humble beginnings as a tobacco trading port, up to the troubled modern era, Rock Creek has been

defined by its river. In its heyday, during the Great War, thousands of barges shipped out Appalachian coal

and steel produced in local mills, while the old clipper ships brought in exotic goods from all around the

globe to be processed in one of the cities countless docks. Today, Rock Creek remains a vital shipping link,

behind only New York and Baltimore, though nearly all of its business is from imports concentrated in a few

modernized facilities, leaving many of the cities older docks overgrown and abandoned.

simsimbalt17.jpg

And from the River, comes the source of Rock Creek's industrial heritage. The raw petroleum unloaded from

OPEC tankers provides the necessary ingredients for the production of countless products, from plastic to

jet-fuel.

simsimbalt20.jpg

Yet, this connection is not always obvious to its residents, many of whom have never seen the river. Rock

Creek's neighborhoods spill out in large sheets away from the water, and its banks are shielded by an

impenetrable wall of rail and industry.

simsimbalt25.jpg

Life seems to ignore the river, clustered instead on the city center. Long-running efforts to build a

water-front park have been shot down by the mayor and city council for fear of gentrification and damage

to the city's job-base.

simsimbalt24.jpg

simsimbalt21.jpg

For the time being, the river is a gem enjoyed only by those who ply its dirty waters, and the lucky-few who

live high enough to catch a glimpse out of their windows.

simsimbalt23.jpg

Mista-J

The Glass Ceiling

Replies

Towerdude: Thanks, I hope no one notices that about half of them are just book-titles :thumb:

Skimbo: Thanks!

NMUSpidey: Thanks for commenting!

Skyscraper241: Thanks!

Pielover94: Thanks!

Jamesrules90: Yep, it's just the normal el-rail from the NAM.

PontiacFiero84: Thanks, I have to try that game one day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things that tourists love about Rock Creek is it's hundreds of unique and close-knit

communities. These neighborhoods have existed since Rock Creek was founded, a testament to

the diverse set of cultures and nationalities that settled here in search of a new life. Driving

through the city, a traveler can go from one neighborhood to the next in just a few blocks. Yet

they are all individual in their own way......some are wealthy:

simsimbalt12.jpg

Some struggle to get by:

simsimbalt8.jpg

simsimbalt7.jpg

And others have lost all hope:

simsimbalt11.jpg

Though these neighborhoods may be right at each other's doorstep, there is, between many, an unbridgeable

gap, that tears the city further apart with each passing day. Those with the means and motivation for a

college degree fill the city's office tower's and receive ever growing compensation.

simsimbalt9.jpg

While just next-door The less educated of Rock Creek's work force must choose between grueling factory

jobs, or bare-minimum wage positions at one of the city's numerous retail outlets. Both are better than

the common, yet brutal poverty of unemployment. However, a lucky few do manage to secure a job at the Rock

Creek city dock's, a government backed position with good benefits and relatively healthy salary.

simsimbalt15.jpg

Mista-J

A Brave New World

REPLIES

Canadiansim: Thanks again! :)

Evillions: Thanks!

Ethachamp and Haveston: Thanks for noticing! It might be a bit run down in some parts, but

Baltimore is definitely my favorite city. It has a gritty pleasantness and architectural variety that I've

never noticed anywhere else (except for Philly). I guess that's why its called charm city.

Packersfan: Thanks!

Lobsterav: The six lane avenue is part of the Network Widening Mod (NWM). I think I got it off the lex,

but you might be able to get it here too. The slip lanes and turning lanes are just part of the NAM, which you

an find on the stex. Hope I helped, and thanks for your comment!

Kennyj_88: Thanks for commenting, the townhouses are from Tag One's Ghetto pack vol3 on the LEX,

though I've re-lotted them to better fit my city. EDIT Sorry, I didn't notice your second question.

I usually just stagger medium and low density 2x1 lots, and then when their developed I build over them

with the building plop cheat (Extra Cheats DLL)

I think that's all of you, sorry if I missed anyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between Rock Creek's overgrown brownfield sites, and remaining manufacturing centers, are the vital rail

artery's that keep the city running. Most are still busy with freight traffic, and even a few AMTRAK passenger

trains, yet many sit unused and abandoned, signs of Rock Creeks decline as an industrial superpower. The old

Mid-Atlantic Railway pictured here, vacant since the 1950's, has been blocked off and replaced with the I-56

expressway through downtown.

simsimbalt2.jpg

simsimbalt5.jpg

In place of Rock Creek's former manufacturing empire, a new service economy has slowly emerged. Hotels and restaurant

chaings have popped up near downtown, though the high crime rate still deters many would-be tourists.

simsimbalt3.jpg

simsim4.jpg

Those that do come often admire the historic art-deco theaters in Rock Creeks Downtown-South. Their renovation

has been an expensive, though politically-advantageous project for the city government.

simsimbalt6.jpg

Mista-J

Red Line

Time for a short update.

REPLIES

Canadiansim: Thanks! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the late 19th century,when Rock Creek's booming population soared past 700,000,city planners became

concerned that this new growth would choke up the town with traffic and horse droppings. So in response to this

situation, the Rock Creek Board of Transportation ordered the construction of several elevated rail lines, now

known collectively as the "E" Over the year this system was expanded to include six color coded lines, and until

the late 70's remained profitable. Yet, as the city decayed, and the population sunk to below 400,000 in the 2000

census, the line became decrepit and under-used. By 1995, service had been discontinued on all but the red, yellow,

and blue lines.

baltsim14.jpg

baltsim9.jpg

Taking example from Chicago's green line, Rock Creek demolished elevated corridors in severely blighted areas, hoping

to reduce the crime that was said to hide beneath them. Yet, instead,the lack of public transportation simply

increased unemployment among local residents.

baltsim7.jpg

Mista-J

The Great Society

After a 2 month hiatus, Rock Creek is back and grimier than ever.

REPLIES

Zulu2065: If you're still interested, they're Girafe's BSC-VIP Maples, on the LEX. Sorry for the long delay :uhm:

TurdFerguson1: Yea, Rock Creek does need some public housing, but I can't find any that look like these, from Baltimore,:

perkinshomes71.jpg

Let me know if you see any. :ohyes: Thank's for your feedback

Everyone else: Thanks for your reply's

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the most noticeable things about Rock Creek is the extent to which it has been demolished.

During the crash of the steel industry in the 70's, the local housing market dropped so fast that

many homeowners simply walked away from their residences. These vacant, though historic buildings

were then brought down in an effort to reduce crime and blight, leaving the city pockmarked with

empty lots.

baltimoresims.jpg

Though most of Rock Creek's residents are stuck in poverty, the local neighborhoods still have a

certain charm, not found in the city's more wealthy suburbs

simbaltimore.jpg

Closer, to the city center, public housing can be seen in both it's high and low rise forms. Built

in the 1950's, these buildings are in disrepair and are nearly to the point of collapse, a point

brought up by those who wish to gentrify downtown Rock Creek. Yet, despite these demands, the housing

remains, largely due to the fierce resistance of its tenants, whose only alternatives are the cold,

potholed, streets of Rock Creek's inner city.

baltimoresims4.jpg

A few block's to east stands Rock Creek's warehouse district, world famous for its production of

tennis shoes and digital cameras.

baltisim8.jpg

Mista-J

The Other Half

Once again, thanks for your comments!! This'll be a pretty short update.

Rock Creek was once home to plenty of public and subsidized housing, part of LBJ's Great Society. Much of this has been demolished

recently as part of "community development" programs, and replaced with barren grass fields. Those displaced by these demolitions

have either moved out to the county or set up vagrant communities such as this one.

sim900.jpg

And here's my 1st attempt at a mosaic, centered on the South Rock Creek neighborhood of Edmonson. Notice the burned out building

at top and the hydroxide tanks facing the county jail

baltsimm2.jpg

Mista-J

Urban Fabric

Thank You all for your replies! :)

This time I will show you some of Rock-Creek's extensive inner city. Built largely during the industrial boom

in the late 19th and early 20th century, it has been in decay for many decades.

sim200.jpg

Though these Italianate style row-homes are still home to a vibrant community, many sit boarded up or as empty shells.

sim300.jpg

Crime is a serious problem in many of these neighborhoods, particularly because of recent police budget cuts.

sim400.jpg

Once home to large, architecturally magnificent commercial districts, large areas have now been rebuilt into modern shopping centers.

sim1000.jpg

Nearby, a steel factory spews smoke in the midst of a rare period of full production. The evening shift received their two week notices a few days ago.

sim800.jpg

Mista-J

Downtown-Southside

Welcome to Rock Creek City, an east coast town founded in the late 18th century along the Potomac river. Once an economic powerhouse,

Rock Creek is now struggling to survive as its industry moves overseas and its populace flee to the suburbs.

sim23.jpg

Most of Rock Creek's jobs are still in manufacturing and petrochemicals, which receives hefty subsidies to stay in the city. Yet even

then, many thousands of jobs are lost each year to competition from East Asia. The companies that remain often skimp worker safety to

remain competitive.

sim100.jpg

The city itself is checkered with vacant areas and parking lots,surrounded by neighborhoods of dilapidated row-homes

sim34.jpg

During the building boom of the 50's several speculative highway's were constructed through the city, and now sit largely unused apart

from light rush-hour traffic

sim100.jpg

Downtown Rock Creek is still a vital center of commerce, though many of its office buildings are now vacant

simnight.jpg