• Moose

Belleville

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

City of the People, by the People, for the People. Celebrate good life!

Entries in this City Journal

Simbourgeois

When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other.

/Chinese Proverb/

marcheauxfleurs1ab.jpg

marcheauxfleurs1ba.jpg

This beautiful flower market was rebuilt by Amthaak in 2009, after it was lost along with the rest of the city due to force majeure event back in 2007 (you can see the original here). Belleville City Council, eternally thankful for his kindness, named this square in his name :read:

marcheauxfleurs2aa.jpg

marcheauxfleurs2ba.jpg

marcheauxfleurs2ca.jpg

Oh, I wish you could smell all these flowers...

marcheauxfleurs3a.jpg

marcheauxfleurs3b.jpg

Si Dieu n'avait fait la femme, il n'aurait pas fait la fleur.

/Victor Hugo/

Have a nice day, my friends! 8)

Simbourgeois

"I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being."

/Oscar Wilde/

imperial6a.jpg

imperial6b.jpg

imperial6c.jpg

Belleville is a truly cosmopolitan city, and this time I wanted to show you the British community theatre in Belleville :)

imperial3a.jpg

imperial3b.jpg

imperial3c.jpg

imperial3d.jpg

The Imperial Theatre was built in 1912 and it opened to the public on September 19, 1913. It was a subject of a special treaty between Pays-Beau and the British Empire. What I like the best about it is that the funding still comes from Her Majesty's purse even though the UK is no longer an empire... So no expenses on my part 8)

imperial1a.jpg

imperial1b.jpg

They've recently renovated it, so it's a pretty nice place to spend an evening.

imperial2a.jpg

imperial2b.jpg

imperial2c.jpg

Yes, yes, you can find there only British plays... What to do... Well, I don't mind as long as the Queen pays for it :D

imperial4a.jpg

imperial4b.jpg

imperial4c.jpg

Have a nice day, my friends! :)

Simbourgeois

As it has been written, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart!!!

brioche1a.jpg

brioche1b.jpg

The fine arts are five in number, namely: painting, sculpture, poetry, music, and architecture, the principal branch of the latter being pastry.

/Marie-Antoine Carême/

brioche2a.jpg

brioche2b.jpg

Take your time to enjoy all those pastries they have there, they're soooo delicious :ooh:

brioche3a.jpg

brioche3b.jpg

brioche3c.jpg

Yes, everybody likes those small cakes!!! :yes:

brioche4a.jpg

brioche4b.jpg

Have a nice day and keep smiling, my Friends!!! 8)

Simbourgeois

kiosquepresse1a.jpg

kiosquepresse1b.jpg

kiosquepresse1c.jpg

Are you one of those who cannot start the day without reading Le Monde, The Guardian, or The New York Times? In Belleville, you can always find the latest newspapers and magazines in this old newstand, built in 1893.

Take your time to read your copy of Financial Times in the café nearby! And do not be disturbed by all the couples amoureux - focus on the financial markets instead!!!

kiosquepresse2a.jpg

kiosquepresse2b.jpg

And who cares, if the newspapers consist "of just the same number of words, whether there be any news in it or not," as it was observed by Henry Fielding already back in the 18th Century..

kiosquepresse3a.jpg

kiosquepresse3b.jpg

kiosquepresse3c.jpg

You can get everything in this charming newsstand - from morning and evening newspapers to the latest comics!

kiosquepresse4a.jpg

kiosquepresse4b.jpg

Simbourgeois

Are you like me who wants to know the exact second when the New Year arrives? Do you still use the old watch given to you by your grandfather? Then better bring it quickly for a check-up by Dominique Richard - grand, grand, grand, grand (...) grand-son of Charles Maurice Richard (see the portrait) who established the world famous horlogerie here in Belleville. They still work today (30 Dec) till 4pm, so better hurry up! And then, I can guarantee, you will not miss the New Year - not even by one second!

Yours sincerely,

Simbourgeois

Mayor of Belleville

bellevillelogosi9.jpg

horlogerierichard1.jpg

horlogerierichard2.jpg

horlogerierichard3.jpg

horlogerierichard4.jpg

Simbourgeois

Dear Friends,

Welcome to the second version of the Belleville's CJ here on Simtropolis.

Many of you are already familiar with Belleville's history. It all started back in 2004, when the original CJ was created in the old CJ section. It went well for many years. And yet, many things happened, so Belleville had to be reconstructed.

I consider February 2009 as a new start to Belleville's story, so this new CJ will start from there. If you are interested how the old city looked like, please visit the original CJ. I try to keep all the old photos available online (as much as possible - many were lost).

I find that both the old and new CJ sections have their respective good and bad aspects. And I have noticed that the reader audience is also different. What I like in the new section, is that one can easily find the respective entry he or she is interested in without scrolling down the entire page. On the other hand, I also like the friendlyness and interactivity of the old CJ section. Therefore, my wish was to have two CJ versions - one at the old section and one at the new one.

At the Ministry of Reconstruction, they supported my proposition to create the second version of the Belleville's CJ and streamline it with the old version. Ministry of Reconstruction...what? Well, yes, it has been at the centre of all what has been happening since February 2009. All the updates had to be approved by them before posting here on Simtropolis.

So as the first entry, here is the Ministry of Reconstruction itself.

Yours sincerely,

Simbourgeois

Mayor of Belleville

bellevillelogosi9.jpg

rec11qc4.jpg

rec12kt0.jpg

rec13fk0.jpg

It has not been an easy task to rebuild the whole city, so often people have to stay overnight to finish their paperwork...

rec21vg3.jpg

rec22nj6.jpg

rec23pl0.jpg

The cupboards are full of red tape in this building! Originally, the buidling, built in 1912, was occupied by the Ministry of Administrative Reforms. You can imagine that not a single successive reform has been carried out since then...

rec31em8.jpg

rec32kk3.jpg

Overall, the Ministry is located in a pretty nice area of the city. If only that would increase their productivity...

rec41el6.jpg

rec42wf8.jpg

Many of the bureaucrats prefer to spend their time in the parks nearby rather than in their dark and dusty offices...

rec5qh3.jpg

rec52lo1.jpg

rec53rf2.jpg

Nevertheless, thanks to the hard work of these bureaucrats, this new CJ has been created!

rec6yy4.jpg

rec62ez7.jpg

I hope you will enjoy this new CJ!