• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

This City Journal will take you around the European city of Dillenburg, with all its Baroque Churches and Dedacent Palaces to it's Grim Flats and Poorer Places. Enjoy!!

Entries in this City Journal

Gath22

Introduction

It's been a while since I updated my CJ. I'm really sorry, but here's something to make up for it: a new update!! :)

I want you show you a little more of Sellershausen, and Pankreise. These are areas east of Dillenburg (you can check out the map in my other update of Sellershausen).

I didn't feel like coming up with a story or anything in particular to show, instead I just figured I'd show you some of the most tale telling places in this neighbourhood.

1201q.png

This is the Church of Resurrection, on the Elzasallee. Nowadays mainly used for exhibitions on ancient Christian art.

1202.png

Satisch House, the home of Prince Moritz, the third in line of the throne, and his wife Camilla Barberinni

1203t.png

The medieval castle on the Sellershauser Mountain, overlooking the city of Dillenburg.

It's not all pretty in Sellershausen. Across the river, in Pankreise, inhabitants face a different reality. This is a grim place with many appartment buildings and high criminality.

1204k.png

Just a shot at the tunnel of the A388 underneath Pankreise, at daylight, when it's still relatively safe to walk around here.

1205i.png

Just some cheap housing that you can find everywhere in Pankreise.

~

That's it for now! I hope you enjoyed it and thanks to everyone commenting! It is greatly appreciated!

Gath22

Renovation of the Regenswald Peninsula

dilll1.png

The Regenswalder Halbinsel (Peninsula) has always been a sinister and poorly maintained area of Dillenburg.

Untill 1953 it was used by the military, as naval port and barracks for the 17th and 23th infantry brigade.

These units were replaced to outside the city and the military basis was destroyed,

except for 2 19th century barracks which are still used by the military.

After that the area was quickly built with a variety of incoherent buildings leading to a cluttered layout.

1234by.png

The location of the peninsula is highlighted in red on this 'map' of the city center.

dillenburg1101.png

Here you can see the many parkplaces that were constructed to make use of the wasteland,

the Football stadium, the gray housing estates, and in the north the 19th century barracks.

It is located closely to the city center, and has great potential.

Some time ago the City Council, in co-operation with property developers decided to use this potential.

You will witness the remarkable change this area has been subjected to.

The first phase of the plan is to tunnel the main avenue in the middle.

It's heavily used and it can't be closed so whilst the tunnel is being built the avenue needs to be redirected.

In order to do this several old buildings (the cable factory, the truck dealership, the hotel and the housing estates)

need to be distroyed. These buildings are highlighted in red.

dillenburg1102.png

When this was done, the temporary avenue was constructed and the old avenue was destroyed to make place for the tunnel.

The new route of the avenue is highlighted in blue.

dillenburg1103.png

The masterplan is getting along nicely now. The temporary avenue has been constructed, and the tunnel has been built.

The next part consists of destroying the old stadium and the elementary school to make place for future buildings.

dillenburg1104.png

It's time for the last phase of the plan. The temporary avenue has been removed, the foundations

for the new buildings are getting along nicely and now it's time to destroy the last buildings of the old peninsula.

dillenburg1105.png

The final result:

dillenburg1106.png

The totally new and renovated area now consists of some highrise office buildings, some appartments,

a department store, an art gallery, a visitor's centre, some parks and a city council building.

Some still's:

dillenburg1108.png

The north end of the tunnel.

dillenburg1109.png

The art gallery.

~

Thanks for viewing and I hope to see all of you back next time!

Gath22

Dillenburg - The result of hard work

Hello everybody! I was closing my SC4 and I was looking at my region overview..

I just wanted to share this with you. It's the result of 9 months of SC4-playing.

Although Dillenburg is far from finished, it's getting along nicely and the difference between now and 9 months is huge.

overviewtimeline.png

~

Thanks for viewing!

Gath22

The Churches of Dillenburg

The Churches of Dillenburg

Dillenburg has a thousand-year-old Christian tradition. Christianity in Dillenburg has been subject of change throughout the years, as the world around it changed as well. Protestantism also has a significant role in the city's Christian community, although Catholics are still in the majority. As a result of this, the city is scattered with many churches of all kind, and I want to show you them.

'Alte Kirche' (the Old Church)

dillenburg1001.png

As the name suggests, this is the oldest Church in the city. It was consecrated in 1306 and has survived many wars and revolutions but still stands proud on the Sträberschplatz, looking better than ever after extensive renovations in the '80's .

'St. Eligiliuskirche' (St. Eligiliuschurch)

dillenburg1002.png

A beautiful white Church, across the street from the parliament building.

'St. Blaesilla Kapelle' (Chapel of St. Blaesilla)

dillenburg1003.png

This beautiful Chapel located in between the Stadtpark and the Neue Oper is mostly used for weddings.

'Prinzerskirche' (Prince's Church)

dillenburg1004.png

This Neo-romanesque Church was built in 1890 to commemorate the Grand-Prince's 25th year of reign.

'Walsdorfskirche'

dillenburg1005.png

The church of this village, that was later swallowed by the Dillenburger suburban sprawl, is the biggest attraction in this otherwise rather dull village, because of it's beautiful stained-glass windows.

'Ökumenische Kirche von Sellershausen' (Ecumenical Church of Sellershausen)

dillenburg1006.png

One of the few Ecumenical Churches in Dillenburg, this one was built in 1982 in the suburb of Sellershausen and accomodates approximately 500 worshipers.

~

Thanks to anyone who viewed & commented, I encourage all constructive criticism!

Gath22

Dillenburg - A Rural View

Dillenburg - A Rural View

Just a little update to show you something I made.. I'm mostly a city builder but rural area's can be fun as well, but quite a bit harder to make it look realistic.

This is a picture of a tiny settlement, Marienfels, next to the intersection of the B-378 (not quite a motorway but a speedlimit of 80 km/h) and Landstraße 52. It's basically 6 houses, a gas station, a chapel and a guesthouse.

smallsettlement.png

~

Thanks for viewing & commenting!

Gath22

Dillenburg - Along the meandering Rhine

Perhaps you thought I stopped playing SC4.. Well, I didn't! The only thing is, being really busy makes it hard to maintain a journal like this. On the other hand, it's fun and the appreciation makes me proud. Thanks for anyone who has commented in the past or will do so in the future!

To show you that I'm still playing, here's a little something that I just made. I think it nicely shows the transition from the outskirts of the city to the city centre, alongside the Rhine.

mosaic2j.jpg

~

Thanks for viewing!

Gath22

Dillenburg - The Seat of Government

Foreword

It's been quite long since I last updated my journal, this is due to myself and the update of the site. I hope I am not forgotten, I just have so many things on my mind that I can't afford to spend to much time on it (even though I like it so much)

Introduction

As Dillenburg is the capital of the Principality, it is also the Seat of Government. It hosts important political institutes such as the National Assembly and the Senate. It is also home to many ministries, each led by individual ministers.

This is the team of 12 wise men and women who govern the country:

mnal.png

Cabinet Office

22 Harbaldstraße

0804kabinettskanzlei.png

Ministry of Finance

5 Ostbahnhofplatz, Millenium Business Center

0807ministeriumderfinan.png

Ministry of Justice and Security

2 Wendeckbahn

0808ministeriumfrsicher.png

Ministry of Labour and Social-Economic Affairs

177 Nordflussufer

0801ministeriumfrarbeit.png

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

66 Parlamentalle

0802ministeriumfrauswrt.png

Ministry of Health and General Welfare

101 von Stosschstraße

0811ministeriumfrgesund.png

Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Works & Ministry of Interior Affairs

1 St. Friedrichplatz (Shared Premises)

0810ministeriumfrffentl.png

Ministry of Education

28 Immerdingbahn

0813ministeriumfrbildun.png

Ministry of Defense

289 Rosencrantzallee

0812abwehrsministerium.png

Ministry of Agriculture and Enviroment

17 Hilferdingpassage

0803ministeriumfrumwelt.png

Ministry of Economy, Tourism and Industry

3 Wilhelm II-allee

0805ministeriumfrwirtsc.png

Ministry of Culture, Recreation and Sports

33 Hauptbahnhofplatz

0806ministeriumfrkultur.png

Ministry of Information and Communication

187 Rosencrantzallee

0809ministeriumfrinform.png

~

Thanks for viewing!

Gath22

Dillenburg-West International Airport

Introduction to Dillenburg-West International Airport

The airport was founded in the '30's of the past century, named Flughafen Uhlstadt. In the 50's the name was changed to a more international Dillenburg-West International Airport. However, the company that owns the airport is still named AFU (Aufsichtsrat Flughafen Uhlstadt).

dillenburg0501.png

General overview of the area

0601.png

The intersection next to the airport. The highway to the left links Dillenburg to other major cities in the north of Nassau. The highway on the right provides access to the industrial park, the airport and Uhlstadt. To the left of the intersection a pond was created to make the area look better

0602.png

The highways both go under the longest runway, which is used for take-off and landing of international flights.

0604l.png

The airport, with the city of Uhlstadt built on the hills next to the airport.

0603.png

The oldest terminal, with the underground train station, with the train to Dillenburg, and the airport hotel to the right.

0607x.png

The two newest terminals, built in 2003.

0608.png

Where misers board...

0605.png

Long-term parking next to the industrial estate. An underground train system takes them to the airport.

0606y.png

Headquarters of the AFU

~

Thanks for viewing!

Gath22

Sellershausen; The City With Two Faces

Foreword

Welcome to another update of the city of Dillenburg. Please note that I have added some additional information about Nassau in wiki-style on the first page, just in case you are interested. Also, I have experimented a bit with photo-shopping, I would like to hear your commetns on this. I am now working on the airport of Dillenburg, so if you have any tips / hints about building custom airports please contact me.

Introduction to Sellershausen

In the 18th and 19th century Dillenburg was expanding rapidly. People couldn't be housed within the city walls any longer. In the south, Dillenburg expanded across the river, and in the north alongside the lake. In the east, the city council decided to build in between the river and the mountains, and the city of Sellershausen was born. You can see the location of Dillenburg and it's suburbs on this 'map':

dillenburg0300.png

The municipality of Sellershausen has two cities within it, Sellershausen itself and Pankreise. Sellershausen is a prosperous city, the business core of Dillenburg, a lovely green and liveable enviroment. On the other side of the river, the city of Pankreise is located. It was constructed in the 60's and 70's, and exists mostly of grey appartment blocks. The gangs call it 'the Southside', inhabitants of Sellershausen call it 'the wrong side'. Pankreise will be shown another time, for now let's just focus on the bright side of the river, right?

Sellershausen

dillenburg0306.png

General overview of the eastern part of Sellershausen

Sellershausen - Science City

dillenburg0301.png

The campus of the University of Dillenburg, also named 'Science City'

Ost-Ecke

dillenburg0302.png

Dillenburg's business center, the 'Ost-Ecke'. Nassau has a very advantageous tax policy for foreign businesses which has attracted many multinationals.

Town Hall

dillenburg0303.png

The Sellershausen town hall, a truly unique building, in style and architecture. It was constructed in 1950. The inscription falsely states ''Facultad de Ingeniería'', this is obviously a little mistake (the inscription was made on a Monday morning). Right next to it you can see the Rathauspark.

The Market

dillenburg0304.png

The Market on the Avenue of May the 18th (it's a mouthful, I know, if you study the wiki-style info on the first page you will probably find out why it is named so). As you can see, they are closing down, it's late in the afternoon and the merchants are heading home.

City Tower

dillenburg0305.png

The City Tower, home to the prestigious investment bank ''Sterrmann & Geberthner''. The economic crisis hit them hard, and they almost went bankrupt.

Daunenstrasse 10

dillenburg0307.png

Summer residence of the Prime minister, far east of the city, but still within municipality borders. With, sadly, a police post to guard him against terrorists and lunatics

~

Thanks for viewing, and for commenting, I hope to be back soon with, as mentioned, the airport of Dillenburg.

Gath22

Sigallswald; The Summer Palace City

Foreword

The city Dillenburg itself isn't entirely finished and not ready yet to show here. However, most of the suburbs are actually finished. Therefore the first few updates will show the suburbs of Dillenburg.

Introduction to Sigallswald

Untill 1676 Sigallswald was a small quiet village on a plateau north of Dillenburg. Build around an abbey, the villagers spent their lifetimes plowing barley fields and visiting the abbey church on sunday. This all changed when the newly Crowned Emperor decided to build his summer palace near Sigallswald, to commemorate his reign. After this, other noble families followed and the city grew to the important tourist attraction it is today.

Sigallswald's accessibility

dillenburg401.jpg

Sigallswald is build on a plateau. This has advantages but even more disadvantages. Easily defendable (in the 17th century a very important thing) but also quite hard to acces. In the 50's a highway was constructed so this road is no longer widely used.

The Emperor's Summer Palace

dillenburg402.jpg

The Summer Palace. At the bottom right you can see the construction works on the new Museum on Imperial History. After the revolution in 1807, the Emperor escaped to Switzerland, but the Imperial period was a very important period in Nassauer history, and there is alot to tell about it. In the upper right a small part of the gigantic parking places for tourists visiting the palace is shown.

dillenburg403.jpg

The Palastplatz. Because the palace is an EU heritage site, an EU flag flutters in the wind.

Other Palaces

After the Emperor moved to Sigallswald, many other noble families could not stay behind, and also constructed a palace in Sigallswald. Some of these are shown below.

dillenburg404.jpg

The former residence of the Cattelzbauer family. After the revolution, the anger of the people turned to the noble families and the residence of the Cattelzbauer family was claimed. After being empty for almost a century, it was turned into the new city hall in 1896

dillenburg405.jpg

Residence of the Kurlander family, located on the hills under the plateau. 

dillenburg406.jpg

Palace of the Lemberg family located in the center of Sigallswald.

Medieval Sigallswald

Most of the old Sigallswald was demolished to make place for the palace and the central boulevard, but some parts of the old Sigallswald still remain.

dillenburg408.jpg

The abbey church of St. Francis.

dillenburg407.jpg

The old abbey.

New Construction

dillenburg409.jpg

However time hasn't stood still in Sigallswald. Especially in the eastern part of the city, many areas are being developed, like here. As you can see, trees have been cut, the terrain is being leveled and new roads are being constructed. In 2 years an industrial estate will be built here.

~

I have bought a new computer and I will spend most of my coming free time installing stuff and transferring files, also, the holidays are over so it will take a while before I will be able to work on Dillenburg again.

Gath22

The Nassauallee

Hello,

As you know I have been busy building the new Dillenburg after I lost the last one due to some kind of crash. I'm not finished by far though, but I'm almost at 150.000 inhabitants.

Because I didn't want to end up at the bottom of page 30 or something, I figured I might show a little preview of the Nassauallee. The Nassauallee is the widest avenue in Dillenburg, and connects the medieval city with Northern Dillenburg (this will all make sense as soon as I have the map done). Six lanes wide, with a giant median ornated with monumental columns and statues, and occasionally adorned with monumental government buildings, palaces and so on. At a certain point it intersects with the Friedrich-Heinrichallee, and at this intersection three monuments are centered. This intersection is showed here:

dillenburg31.jpg

At the bottom right you can see the western wing of the Grand-Prince's palace, Next to that the Nassauallee, with two Columns (Column of Mercifullnes and the Column of Lady Justice). Next to that the St. Willibrord Opera House, and build in between the Nassauallee is the Grand-Princely Art Gallery.

~

I hope to be back with a new update soon, but now I am going to celebrate Christmas! Merry Christmas everyone!

Gath22

The Renascense of Dillenburg

What happened?

Hello,

As you may already know, a couple days ago I accidentaly 'changed focus' whilst saving the game (or whatever the damn phenomenon is called)

Anyway, Dillenburg disappeared, and every inhabitant, even including the Grand-Prince and his palace, the entire parliament, everything really.

I was in two minds for some time, but I decided to start all over again, with a new region, a new start really.

The New Region

This is the new region. It's 'Invermere Lake' made by JPumbley, and I can certainly recommend it to everybody, it has two large mountains in the corners, but also flatlands and sloping hills.

regionview2.png

This is the expansion plan for the new Dillenburg. The dark red area is the urban core, where the old city and all the important buildings will be constructed. The red arrows resemble the axes along which the city will expand, for now.

I have been building on the new Dillenburg for some days now, but it will take a long time untill I can show you something. I'm guessing that around the new year, I will be able to show some finished area's, but untill then I might tease you with some previews, so stay tuned!

Gath22

Dillenburg, the Capital of the Principality of Nassau

Foreword

Thanks for viewing my City Journal! In beginning, you must know that I only consider myself to be a beginner. I have now actively played Simcity 4 for about 5 months. The main purpose of this City Journal is to improve my own city-building capabilities. Therefore, I would like to get positive comments, but I would like it even more to get constructive comments that can help me improve myself. Have fun following my City Journal!

Introduction

This City Journal shows you around Dillenburg, the Capital of the Principality of Nassau. This thriving city, with all of it's monuments, palaces, parks and memorials is the center of the Nassau government. To give you a more clear view, I will show some more information about Nassau.

dillenburginfo2.png

dillenburginfo1.png

Nassau is divided into 10 Counties, and 3 independent Metropolitan Area's. These all have their own parliaments, but the Central Parliament is located in Dillenburg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8195/asdascxxzx.png 
This map show's the location of Dillenburg, and the partition of the 10 Counties and 3 Metropolitan Area's (Beiersheim, Ulpesach, Dillenburg) of Nassau.

Preview

In order to hold your attention, I will now show you some of the things that you can expect in the coming time.

The Hazelettboulevard at rushhour, with a special intersection, designed to create a more fluent traffic flow. Next to the Hazelettboulevard you can see the Amaliaplatz.

The National Archives at the Friedrich-Heinrichallee, where documents that date back to the early Middle Ages are preserved.

~

Once again, thanks for viewing and in advance for the comments, I will update as soon as possible!