• Moose

Victoria County

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Discover Victoria. Feel the passion of the Victorians, as they put their pride in everything the region has to offer.

Entries in this City Journal

heitomat

Bringing the goods

Header_Smaller_02.jpg

Ingeln_03.jpg

It was early. Very early. Or late.. Dieter's watch told him 04:00, and already the warehouses in Ingeln were bustling with life. He reversed the Maersk trailer towards the gate. Only two stops this morning; the airport and Weneer. Fair enough. Then he could take the A-1 and the A-21 to save some time, as long as he got started before the morning commute in Victoria..

The forklift driver loaded the trailer with professional precision. Dieter was amazed. To manoeuvre a semi in between the containers at the seaport in Weneer was a piece of cake to him, but he had never understood how the truck drivers managed to load the trailer that quick and perfect. After a relatively short while, Dieter headed for the B-11.

Ingeln_04.jpg

He headed for the Ingeln motorway entrance. The B-11 was definately the fastest alternative. Luckily most of the cars surrounding him seemed to head for Kempler.

Dieter had been driving goods under contract with Maersk for 5 years now. He was quite happy with it. As a child, he could sit by the kitchen window in his childhood home for ages, just watching the trucks drive by. Sure, the work hours could be quite heavy, especially getting up to drive at 4 o'clock in the morning.. Still he loved it. The sound. The feel. The chance to be left alone for a couple of hours.

Soon he entered Hansmarkt. The lights from the distribution centres lit up the area around the A-1 entrance.

Hansmarkt_Mosaic_01_01.jpg

Hansmarkt_Mosaic_01_02.jpg

Hansmarkt_Mosaic_01_03.jpg

The A-1 was desolate, and Dieter stamped on the gas. The engine roared beautifully, as the semi-trailer slowly accelerated onto the motorway.

Driving through Victoria this morning was a charm, and shortly Dieter arrived at Aaden Kreutz. At rush hour this junction could be a living nightmare, but it was still too early for most people. Dieter slowed down and chose the right lane leading to the A-21, heading for Weneer and Marienhof.

Victoria_Mosaic_05_01.jpg

Victoria_Mosaic_05_02.jpg

The intercom started to squeek. It was Dispatch.

- When you're at the airport, a woman's voice said, they've got something for you to take with you to Weneer.

- Copy that, Dieter answered.

Dieter drove straight through Weneer Kreutz and chose to "Continue to follow the A-21", as the woman on his GPS would have told him, had he used it.

Inner_Weneer_02.jpg

At the Marienhof Goods Terminal, he could see the Maersk plane from his loading bay. He loved seeing the Maersk logo on the plane. And on his trailer. And the warehouse buildings. And the ships. Dieter had always been a lojal employee, proud to work for this company, and just the sight of the logo made him smile with satisfaction.

Just as back in Ingeln, the forklift drivers worked in an extremely high pace, like ants around him, and soon he was ready for his last stop; Weneer.

Marienhof_08.jpg

Weneer was as impressive as it always was. Arriving at the seaport's goods terminal when it was still dark had always been one of Dieter's favourites. The cranes, the containers, the large ships and all the lights.. It was truly an amazing sight!

Even though it was barely 6 AM, Dieter had never felt more awake. And alive.

And proud.

Weneer_Mosaic_02_01.jpg

Weneer_Mosaic_02_02.jpg

Weneer_Mosaic_02_03.jpg

Thank you for reading!

- Eivind

heitomat

Victoria - Back on track

VTA_O_header.jpg

The Victoria Overground is an extensive tram network in the city of Victoria. As the name suggests, the Overground is different from the Underground as it runs almost solely in daylight. As of today the Overground has six different lines. Together, these lines cover all the central areas of Victoria, and some of the lines have been extended to serve neighbouring boroughs and cities as well.

The Victoria Overground is administrated by the Victoria Transit Authority. Other means of public transportation include the Underground and ordinary buses.

Below are a few pictures from a few areas of the Overground network.

Altstadt, Herbertstrasse, close to the medieval city centre:

Victoria_16.jpg

Neustadt, Embankment, just below the Parliament:

Victoria_Mosaic_03_01.jpg

Victoria_Mosaic_03_02.jpg

Victoria_Mosaic_03_03.jpg

Near Ebertshohe is Ebert Hausmann Dome, an indoor stadium and conference centre:

Victoria_18.jpg

Just north of the university, the lines O2 and O4 cross the Nordlinie rail and the A-1 motorway:

Victoria_17.jpg

St. Addieline hospital and station:

Victoria_Mosaic_04_01.jpg

Victoria_Mosaic_04_02.jpg

Finally, I proudly present an overview map of the Victoria Overground, kindly made to me by Benedict. Thank you, my friend!

Victoria_Overground_Map_2.jpg

I promise more transit related updates in the future! Thank you for visiting Victoria County.

- Eivind

heitomat

A very special lady

Header_Smaller_02.jpg

Inner_Weneer_01.jpg

Robert checked his watch. No, it was still time. Plenty of time. Still, there was no need to wait any longer. He ran outside, started his car and headed south for Marienhof. It is a very familiar stretch of road; he has been driving it to work every day for over 30 years now. But this day, when he wasn't working, it took longer than ever.

When he was a little boy, his dad sometimes took him to Marienhof to go "planespotting". They could just stand there together for hours in silence, just watching the planes land and take off. It wasn't much of an airport back then, and most of the planes were American military planes, stationed at Marienhof Air Force Base after World War 2. But every now and then a passenger plane, like a shiny Boeing 707, arrived at the airport. It was moments like those that made the "planespotting" worthwhile and trigged Roberts interest for planes. When he got a job at the airport, it was like a dream come true.

He entered the green fields of Marienhof Nord. Robert put the memories away. Shortly, a very special lady was arriving at the airport.

Marienhof_01.jpg

- Ah, the 5th Wing is in, Robert thought to himself as he passed the air force base. The grey F-15s were lined up at the tarmac with military precision. The old part of Marienhof, the old terminal building, is still in use and serves as an Air Force Base.

- Just like when the Americans were here, Robert mumbled. The only difference is that no passengers arrive at this terminal anymore.

Marienhof_06.jpg

As Robert closed in on the airport, the green fields were replaced by big warehouses and hordes of trucks. Being the largest and busiest airport in the country, tons of goods are transported in and out every day. Just above the motorway, a locomotive was pushing some tanker trucks into the fuel depot.

- It looks as she's already here, Robert said to himself. His heart beat faster. Was he nervous? No, not really nervous, just eager to meet a very special lady. A lady he had been looking forward to meet for years.

Marienhof_Mosaic_01_01.jpg

Marienhof_Mosaic_01_02.jpg

Marienhof_02.jpg

Finally at the airport, Robert parked his car at the staff parking. He jumped on a Terminal Shuttle Bus and headed for Terminal 2. Once there, he spotted a friend over by the catering trucks.

- Has the plane arrived? Robert asked. His friend nodded. This was unbelievable. The plane had landed. She was here!

It is in situations like these working at an airport could be a real advantage. Robert knew that he was now able to get as close as it gets. Closer than his father was ever able to take him. Closer than those inside the terminal. Closest. Within touching distance.

Robert found a pick-up truck and headed for Terminal 1. His very special lady was now only seconds away. It felt like being a little boy again!

Marienhof_03.jpg

After a short, but still way too long drive, Robert parked the pick-up at the north end of Terminal 1, the Lufthansa gates. And there she was, waiting for him.

Marienhof_04.jpg

Robert gazed at the gigantic marvel. 73 metres long, and with a wingspan of nearly 80 metres..! Seeing something like this up close gave the term "planespotting" new meaning.

She was a very special lady indeed.

He couldn't wait to get back home to tell his wife.

Marienhof_05.jpg

Share Robert's excitement!

- Eivind

heitomat

Weneer_Head.jpg

The main seaport of the city Victoria is located mainly in Weneer. Allthough a seaport could be interesting enough to show, this update is more like a "behind the scenes of constructing slopes and bridges". Not that I consider myself a guru at this field. Not at all. The slope mod does the job basically by itself anyway.. Nevertheless, hopefully I can share some tips and tricks with you, and perhaps get some in return?

Weneer_01.jpg

Ok, so this is my goal:

• Construct a bridge across the bay with a height suitable for barges to pass.
  • Build a rail overpass.
  • Make realistic looking slopes.

And these are the tools:

1. First off, I need to raise the land where I want the bridge to start and end, as well as on both sides of the rail. For this I use smoncrie's Ground Raiser lots.

Weneer_02.jpg

2. After raising the ground, I demolish the raiser lots and plop 3x1 road tiles on the raised areas. Now it looks like this:

Weneer_03.jpg

3. Slope action. From the middle road tile, I drag rail 9 tiles (similar to the cost of §107). Notice how the slope mod ensures a gentle slope.

Weneer_04.jpg

4. To ensure a smooth slope transition at the bottom as well as on the top, I plop two rail tiles two tiles away from the already built rail slope. Then, I drag rail from these tiles onto the built slope, like so:

Weneer_05.jpg

5. Before I demolish the rail, I add retaining walls. The rail tiles plopped at the bottom of the slope now serves as an indication of where the slope actually starts (Sometimes this can be hard to spot).

Weneer_06.jpg

6. All done. Gone be the rail.

Weneer_07.jpg

7. The slope is now finished and "retained". Let's move on to the bridge. I was lucky that this bridge was perfect for the span.

Weneer_08.jpg

8. Now it is time for the rail overpass. I use the "T Road OnSlope Puzzle Piece" from the NAM. Note that this allows for building an overpass immediately after the bridge.

Weneer_09.jpg

9. But I don't want T-intersections at the overpass, not this time. To get rid of them, I simply drag roads across the puzzle pieces..

Weneer_10.jpg

10. ..and when I demolish the road stubs and place the "Road over Rail Puzzle Piece".. Voìla:

Weneer_11.jpg

11. The slope, the overpass and the bridge is done. It's time to place the missing retaining walls and the underbridge seawalls.

Weneer_12.jpg

12. Finally, from a different angle, I present Hafenstadt Weneer.

Weneer_Mosaic_01.jpg

Weneer_Mosaic_02.jpg

Weneer_Mosaic_03.jpg

These steps are quick and easy once you get the hang of it. And again, this is only my way of doing it. There are just as many ways to make slopes and bridges as there are SimCity players - and that is what makes this game so great!

As a final note it is not even necessary to use rail to make the slope. After all, it uses quite a lot of space. However, in my opinion the rail slope is the best looking.

I hope you found this interesting.

- Eivind

heitomat

Header_Smaller_02.jpg

This update is dedicated to showing some scenes from Victoria. It is nothing special, other than some close-ups of some areas of the capital considered "done".

Like all major cities, one of Victoria's biggest challenges is infrastructure. Victoria has a rather good Overground and Underground network, as well as national rail services. Still, car traffic is very much a problem. This picture is from south Victoria and shows four-track rail and a rare stretch of Overground-over-Road.

Victoria_12.jpg

Aaden, the southeastern borough of Victoria, is an industrial hub and a center for distributing goods. In addition to Aaden Seaport there is also a large rail terminal for loading the many containers onto trains - or vice versa. The highway is the A-1 which runs all the way through Victoria.

Victoria_13.jpg

More Overground. This is the Volksplatz - People's Square - between the Central Station and the Modern Arts Museum. The tram station is one of the busiest in Victoria, as it serves as an interchange between several Overground and Underground lines. The area around the station has also become the new financial district, and the skyscrapers dominate the skyline.

Victoria_14.jpg

Victoria is the seat of the Parliament. The parliament building itself was finished in 2000, and allowed all the government's offices to be in the same building. From the tower offices, not accesible for the public, there is a splendid view in all directions.

Victoria_15.jpg

I am really satisfied with how things are turning out, but as mentioned before: I am quite a perfectionist, so even a couple of blocks can take quite some time to build.. Thank you all for hanging in there!

- Eivind

heitomat

Morning commute

Header_Smaller_02.jpg

Kurtzfeld_01.jpg

It wasn't like this was the first morning she had to get up early. After nearly ten years as a nurse at the emergency room at St. Addieline's, she knew very well that early mornings were more the rule, rather than the exception. Outside the streets were still dark, even though the morning commute had already begun. "Good", she thought. "I'm not alone in the world".

She wasn't alone at all. In the room next door, her teenage son was still sleeping. At least the trucks from the nearby warehouse didn't prevent him from getting a good nights sleep.

Kurtzfeld_03.jpg

After finishing her coffee, she went outside. The air was cold and raw, as it often was at this time of year. She looked around as she headed for the Overground. The concrete pre-fabs were tall, grey and dark. A few windows had light in them, like angry eyes staring back at her. She walked faster.

The neighbourhood was a result of the Kurtzfeld Housing Project during the sixties. She had always considered the area to be a good place to live. Peaceful. Away from the hustle and bustle in Victoria, but still close enough for a reasonable commute. Also, when her son was younger, the numerous playgrounds and other children for him to play with, made the area ideal for both of them. Safe.

It was different, back then. A swing or a sandbox wasn't enough for them anymore. The many broken streetlights and the graffiti at the Overground station was a symbol that things had changed.

Kurtzfeld_04.jpg

The Overground made a little squeak as it pulled out of the station. Other than that it was quite silent. And comfortable. During the years of commuting she had travelled with a lot of different tram sets. These new ones were quite good. Sometimes she fell asleep. The trip to Victoria could be quite boring, but this morning she wasn't tired at all. Instead she found herself staring out of the large windows as the Overground entered Hansmarkt.

The yellow Gartner warehouse was heavily lit up. Right next to it, the Hansmarkt Public Housing Project was just as dark, tall and grey as the blocks in her own neighbourhood, creating a brutal contrast to the warehouse.

Hansmarkt_01.jpg

As the Overground was leaving Hansmarkt, she noticed some factory workers parking their cars at a nearby parking lot. She didn't even have a car, and she would never in her wildest dreams prioritize to buy one. No, public transport was just fine. She would rather relax on the Overground than spending twice as much time in the infamous traffic jams in Victoria. And she didn't even know where to get off the A-1..

Hansmarkt_02.jpg

She smiled to herself as the Overground passed by the villas in north Victoria. Some of them even with pools. Now and then she got a glimpse of black, polished cars in the driveways. "No, public transport is just fine", she repeated to herself.

Victoria_09.jpg

As the Overground crossed the A-1 and the Nordlinie, she knew she was nearly there. After all these years commuting, she was really hoping for a transfer to Kurtzfeld hospital. Then, she could at least sleep for one more hour, and when it was time to go, she could just.. well.. go. Walk. Across the street, so to speak.

Victoria_10.jpg

Victoria University was already full of students. She supposed they decided to show up very, very early. Or maybe they hadn't even gone to sleep yet. What did she know? Did she even care? Hopefully, her son would get his act together and start university one day. After all, there is more to life than walking around late at night, breaking the bulbs in the street lights..

Victoria_Mosaic_01_01.jpg

Victoria_Mosaic_01_02.jpg

Victoria_Mosaic_01_03.jpg

Finally, the Overground arrived at St. Addieline's. She got up from her seat and stepped outside. Maybe she should text her son, making sure he was awake and ready for school? She took a look at her watch. 4 in the morning. Maybe not. Not yet. Everyone deserves to sleep.

Everyone, but her.

Victoria_11.jpg

- Eivind

heitomat

Rail.jpg

When we last jumped off the train, we arrived with the Kreutzberg Ring in Thorshafen. Now it is time to continue the journey along the west coast of the Kreutzberg Peninsula. The tracks we will be rolling on today is used by both the Kreutzberg Ring and the West Kreutzberg Line, and it is one of the busiest stretches of rail in the nation.

After leaving Thorshafen, we will pass the following stations:

Lindtner - Niederkreutz - Kempler - Kemplertor* - Eisenbrücke* - St. Addieline* - Victoria Central*

*) These stations are all inside the city borders of Victoria.

Heading south from Thorshafen, our first stop is the small city of Lindtner. This is quite an anonymous place, and even the locals have a hard time explaining why you should consider a longer stay here. Lindtner is basically a place to live, not to visit. However, some people will definately enjoy feeling the sea breeze when strolling along the promenade, or feel the sacred silence inside Lindtner Monastery.

Lindtner_Mosaic_01.jpg

Lindtner_Mosaic_02.jpg

Lindtner_Mosaic_03.jpg

Lindtner_Mosaic_04.jpg

Just east of the station, the monastery is easibly visible sitting proudly on top of a hill - with the cars on the B-11 roaring just below.

Lindtner_02.jpg

Niederkreutz is a village located on the southern tip of the mountain Kreutzberg. Squeezed between the mountain, fields and forests, the inhabitants have used every spot of flat land they could find to build their houses. The same goes for the rail. It twists and turns to make it's way to the station.

Niederkreutz_01.jpg

The motorway B-11 dips into a tunnel and runs straight through (or under) the village. Trains, however, have always stopped at Niederkreutz. This is the Niederkreutz station area.

Niederkreutz_02.jpg

After leaving Niederkreutz, it is not far until we arrive Kempler. "The little sister", remember?

Kempler_Mosaic_02_01.jpg

Kempler_Mosaic_02_02.jpg

A lot of commuters have asked for an upgrade of the West Kreutzberg Line stations lately. Due to the increase in traffic, the need for larger platforms and C-Rail standards have been suggested. The downside is that the stretch is old, and development surrounding the tracks is dense. It is simply no room left for extensive expansions. Or is it? As we enter Victoria, it is clear that if there is a will, there is a way.. But, hey.. Victoria is the capital, after all..

C-Rail_Kemplertor.jpg

The first of the "Victorian" stations on our journey, is Kemplertor. The blue logo indicates that this is a C-Rail station. As the station also serves Reinhard Schellinger Stadion, these platforms can be quite crowded on matchdays.

Victoria_04.jpg

Just east of the station is Kemplertor Junction. This rail split is actually where the northbound (top) and the westbound (left) Kreutzberg Ring separates.

Victoria_05.jpg

Deeper inside Victoria is Eisenbrücke Station. The city's northern freight station is also located in this area.

Victoria_06.jpg

Deeper into the urban jungle, there is still room for some greenery. The North Victoria Junction is where the North Line (Nordlinie) arrives from the left, and the Kreutzberg Ring and the West Kreutzberg Line arrives from the right.

Victoria_07.jpg

The final picture in this update is from the St. Addieline station area. This is the last stop before Victoria Central. The buildings are now taller, the traffic is more intense, and now and then the Overground thunders above the tracks. Welcome to Victoria.

Victoria_08.jpg

Hope you liked it!

- Eivind

heitomat

Header_Smaller_02.jpg

The construction of the capital is ongoing, but unfortunately not with the pace I was hoping. This is, as usual, because of real life challenges that prevent me from playing as much as I want (which is of course way more than I should..). But most of all, I am constantly suffering from being a perfectionist. Neighbourhoods have been built and torn down, and then built again. Streets and rails have been laid, removed and laid all over again. But we are slowly getting there.

To top it all, I suddenly discovered pitti's new set of magnificent German Autobahn signs for RHW4.x. Of course, I immediately sent construction workers throughout the region to replace the all the old signs. They are lucky they've got hourly wages..

So far, the rail and motorway networks are about finished. They may be subject to minor changes in the future, but the strategy was to place these space consuming networks as early as possible. Not only because it is difficult to provide the needed space in a fully developed city, but also because the existence of an infrastructural backbone is essential for any city to grow. Also, I believe that it is easier to build realistic having these networks in place; When a motorway is in place, you are likely to find industrial businesses along this artery. Same goes for rail. Also, having ensured that commuting is fast and efficient, the residential zones can easily be placed at the opposite end of the city tile. This also generates a little automata on your RHWs, which is always nice.

This is a (very) small overview of the Victoria city tile as of to date:

Victoria_17022011.jpg

The most easily visible, is the motorway. It encloses the area that will become the city center of Victoria. I have started development in the north (because of the developed neighbouring tiles), and in the south (making use of the motorway network, as mentioned above.

I am not very comfortable building on such large tiles, though. For instance, the northern developed area is about the size of a medium city tile and should be provided with healthcare, schools etc. accordingly. But compared to the entire tile, the area barely covers a quarter of it. Thus, I tend to forget to provide those basic services, and development stagnates. Anyway, as I've already said: We are slowly getting there.

Finally, I want to thank you all for hanging in there. In my last replies I promised some of you very spesific updates. They are in the works!

Let's finish this update with some pictures of the Victorian infrastructure - so far:

Aaden Junction in south Victoria:

Victoria_01.jpg

The Victoria Overground, Nordschleife, crossing the A-1 in north Victoria:

Victoria_02.jpg

Kemplertor C-Rail station in north Victoria:

Victoria_03.jpg

See you soon!

- Eivind

heitomat

Header_Smaller_01.jpg

Until now, I have concentrated on developing areas around the tile that is going to become the capital. The main goal has been to create enough demand for the growth of Victoria to be a painless affair. After all, Victoria County is mainly based on natural growth. Also, I want my region shots to look realistic as well. I try to create as seamless transitions between the city tiles as possible. When developing a city tile, I always have in mind that this particular tile is a part of a greater whole; the rail and road networks on this tile shall connect to the neighbouring tiles in a realistic way, and the development should line up logically with the adjacent tiles when viewing it in region view. So, with this in mind, this is Victoria County today:

Overview_28012011.jpg

On this update's transportation map, I have added some names. This is for you to get a clue of the locations of the previous updates, as well as a way for me to remember the names of the different transport networks. You will notice the Kreutzberg Ring and the West Kreutzberg Line (or Linie, as the Victorians say), and some motorways, namely the A-1 and B-11.

Transport_28012011.jpg

Finally, I thought I'd show you a few pictures from a few areas yet to be properly introduced. They could easily be considered "teasers"..

From Lindtner, Lindtner Monastery:

Lindtner_01.jpg

Agriculture in Punsdorf:

Punsdorf_01.jpg

The A-1, Kurtzfeld Split, in Kurtzfeld:

Kurtzfeld_02.jpg

And finally a nightshot of the public housing projects in Kurtzfeld:

Kurtzfeld_01.jpg

That's it for now. Do not hesitate to tell me if there is a particular area you would like to see more of!

- Eivind

heitomat

Rail.jpg

The Kreutzberg Ring circles the entire Kreutzberg Peninsula. From Victoria Central, the Ring travels both clockwise and counter-clockwise, starting and ending in Victoria. The clockwise Ring follows the western coast of the peninsula. This stretch of rail originally terminated at Thorshafen, but the relocation of the seaport to Sorgenfrei initiated the construction of an entire rail ring. In the west, the Ring shares tracks with the West Kreutzberg Line.

In this update we will follow the Ring counter-clockwise to Thorshafen, passing the following stations along the way:

Ingeln - Ingeln Nord - Sorgenfrei - Kreutzberg Nord - Thorshafen

Heading north from Victoria, our first stop is Ingeln. The station area is designed after the national Urban Commuter Rail (C-Rail) standard, meaning that the station is separated from the through tracks, eliminating conflicts with passing freight trains or trains heading for Ingeln Depot.

Ingeln_Mosaic_1_01.jpgIngeln_Mosaic_1_02.jpg

Ingeln Depot, just between Ingeln and Ingeln Nord stations, is one of the larger rail depots surrounding Victoria. This is the northern depot for Victoria's C-Rail trains.

Ingeln_Mosaic_2_01.jpgIngeln_Mosaic_2_02.jpgIngeln_Mosaic_2_03.jpg

Ingeln Nord station.

Ingeln_02.jpg

As Thorshafen grew, most of the dock activities were relocated. In the 1960s, Sorgenfrei was the site of a massive seaport construction. Suddenly, the small village found itself to be an important hub for distribution of goods. The Kreutzberg Ring was completed, and along with it came the freight trains. This is the Sorgenfrei station area.

Sorgenfrei_Mosaic_01.jpgSorgenfrei_Mosaic_02.jpgSorgenfrei_Mosaic_03.jpg

The final stop before entering Thorshafen, is the village of Kreutzberg Nord.

Kreutzberg%20Nord_Mosaic_01.jpgKreutzberg%20Nord_Mosaic_02.jpg

Following the Ring counterclockwise, we arrive Thorshafen station from the north.

Thorshafen_08.jpg

In a future update we'll complete the journey along the west coast, but this is it for now. I hope you have enjoyed the Kreutzberg Ring so far.

-Eivind

heitomat

Kempler_Head.jpg

If you ask a person from Kempler about her or his origins, the person would most probably say "I'm from Kempler, just outside Victoria". Because Kempler is just that; "just outside Victoria". However, the Victorians like to turn the phrase around, and say "They are from Kempler, just inside Victoria". Enough said.

As the years have gone by, the distinct border between Kempler and the capital has been more or less washed out. If you are driving from the one city to the other, you will only know that you just entered another city because of the sign along the road. It is a prime example of two cities growing together. Today, what identifies Kempler, is a wide range of industrial services to serve it's big sister in the east; warehouses, distribution centres, and - of course - the garbage docks. But Kempler still is an independent city, and don't try to tell the inhabitants otherwise.

Kempler_01.jpg

The city center of Kempler is, if I may say so, not exactly beautiful. What stands out the most on the aerial views is St. Maria's Church, the railroad dividing the city, and the warehouses by the docks. But what the Kemplers really would like visitors to experience is the Promenade. Some of these houses were among the first to be built in Kempler, and now houses several coffee shops, all selling the famous Kempler Blend. This is an exclusive mix of dark roasted coffee beans that one of the city's founders, Reinhard Hirtzfeld, brought home after visiting South America in the late 19th century. Visit the coffee shops in the afternoon to enjoy your cup of fresh brewed coffee while listening to live jazz music.

Kempler_02.jpg

Downtown Kempler is dominated by the large parking lot next to the rail station. In 1945 the City Council didn't see the need for reconstructing the commercial quarter, which was destroyed during the war. Most of the city's workforce commuted to Victoria anyway. Thus, they decided to encourage the use of commuter trains by building a Park-and-Ride facility. Allthough this proved to be a success, a lot of people still would like to see a more esthetic solution. The station itself is quite simple. Only two tracks and two platforms serve both the West Kreutzberg Line and the Kreutzberg Ring, in addition to passing freight trains heading for the docks. An extension of the rail station is currently being discussed.

Kempler_03.jpg

West of the rail station, the track branches. On this picture, a West Kreutzberg Line commuter train has just left Kempler, bound for Thorshafen. The other tracks narrows down to a non-electrified single track leading to the garbage docks. The single track is only used by freight trains.

Kempler_04.jpg

Being Victoria's little sister can be both an advantage and a drawback. The biggest advantage is that the need for residential housing is constantly high, which again means more tax income from residents. Also, Kempler is attractive to different kinds of industrial businesses, mainly those who can't seem to find the needed space in Victoria. A drawback is that commercial high wealth companies, which generally generate more tax income, seek to the capital for business. But the biggest drawback, at least for the residents, is the garbage docks. Every day trains arrive from Victoria with loads and loads of garbage. There is a little comfort in the fact that the garbage doesn't stay for long before it's transported elsewhere, though.

Kempler_Mosaic_01.jpgKempler_Mosaic_02.jpg

The warehouses seen in the picture above belong to one of the many distribution centres in Kempler. Distribution centres need a lot of space, which Victoria lacks. Thus, Kempler opened it's gates wide for these clean, non-polluting industries.

Kempler_06.jpg

Kempler is situated just south of the B-11. Because of this, most of the westbound through traffic is led outside and around the city. Some people still want, or need, to go via Kempler, though. Truck drivers, tourists and some rebel teenagers have all spent their fair share of nights in a bed at this motel in west Kempler. Maybe you will stay here as well if you come to visit Kempler again? Or maybe not..

Kempler_05.jpg

That's it for now from the city of Kempler, the city with it's own coffee blend, just outside Victoria.

-Eivind

*) EDITED: Fixed mosaic. Do you get the mosaic to show right?

heitomat

Thorshafen_Head.jpg

Thorshafen is situated on the northwestern tip of the Kreutzberg Peninsula. Archeologists have found traces of Viking settlements in Thorshafen that dates back to around 900 AD, which makes the city the oldest in the county. Historians believe that the name of the city comes from the Norse "Thórshafn", which essentially means Thor's harbour. According to Norse mythology, Thor was the god for protection of mankind. It is believed that Thorshafen's role as an important pit stop for the Vikings on their journeys between Scandinavia and the rest of Europe, influenced the Vikings to rename their settlement after this god. Also, the shape of the land on which Thorhafen is situated, resembles a hammer. This could have been inspirational for the Vikings as well.

During the second world war, Thorshafen once again became an important harbour city. During the occupation of Axis forces, the city's calm bays proved to be an important place to seek refuge before patrolling the North Sea and the English Channel. Due to this, the city suffered from heavy bombing by Allied air forces, leaving the city more or less in ruins. One of the oldest buildings still standing is Thorshafen Fire Station, seen in both the header and in the picture below.

Thorshafen_01.jpg

The City Hall is only a few years younger than the fire station. Being built close to the harbour, it was nearly destroyed by Allied bombs. Today, in addition to housing the City Council, it also serves as a museum of the city's history, with exhibitions of archeological findings, Viking household items and more.

Thorshafen_03.jpg

Almost every European city, even most villages, have a church. This is Thorshafen Dome, completed in 1860. Traces of a church at this location traces back to 1100 AD, and religious ceremonies have taken place at this location ever since the Viking age.

Thorshafen_04.jpg

After the war, the rebuilding of the city and the lack of architectural planning, has resulted in a wide diversity of styles throughout the city. Probably the most eye catching buildings are the Harbour Hills Housing Project, initiated by the City Council in the sixties. Advertised to potential buyers with the slogan "You'll never find a view like this!", referring to the outstanding view of the harbour, the critics used the slogan sarcastically about the appearance of the buildings.

Thorshafen_02.jpg

Most of the industrial harbour has now been moved out of the city center. Still, Thorshafen is an important city for distribution of goods.

Thorshafen_05.jpg

A lot has changed since the Vikings ruled the shores of Thorshafen. Nowadays, most people don't come to Thorshafen with boats, but by train or car. Thorshafen is the end of the motorway B-11, and the rail station is the terminus of the West Kreutzberg Line. If you want to stay on the train for the whole Kreutzberg tour, you can also follow the Kreutzberg Ring to the east and back to Victoria.

Thorshafen_07.jpg

Typical for the West Kreutzberg Line is long hauls with lots of commuters heading south for Kempler and Victoria. Originally the trains were fitted with double decked carriages to serve more passengers without making the train too long for the shorter and older platforms. Over the years, the number of commuters have increased insanely, leaving no other options other than adding more and more carriages. This is the late morning commuter train making it's way south through the Thorshafen suburbs.

Thorshafen_06.jpg

I'll leave you with a night shot. Hopefully you've seen enough to visit Thorshafen once again in the future?

Thorshafen_Mosaic_01.jpgThorshafen_Mosaic_02.jpg

All the best,

- Eivind

heitomat

Header.jpg

To kick off the new year, I decided to prove that I have actually played the game lately. This update is entirely dedicated to updated region shots.

Overview_11012011.jpg

As you know, I have just started all over again on a new region. So far, I've consentrated developing three cities, just to get the RCI demand up and going. Thorshafen is by far the biggest at the moment and will be subject of the next update. Also, the cities of Lindtner and Kempler have been fairly developed. I've chosen to start developing along the coastline. This is because I believe it is a quite realistic approach. The sea, oceans and rivers were the most efficient trade routes in the good old times, and many of today's largest European cities were founded close to waterways. Luckily the world has moved on since the "good old times", and today Victoria County has a rapidly growing rail and road network - as well as harbours, of course. Well.. It isn't much as of yet, but I promise you there is a lot more to come..

Transport_11012011.jpg

That's the regional shots taken care of. I hope you notice that the holiday has been well spent..

-Eivind

heitomat

Happy Holidays!

As the governor of Victoria County, it is a pleasure to give you all

the best of wishes for the holidays and the new year!

IMAG0038.jpg

I'm sorry for my absence lately. The holidays are busy times for me and my family. Nevertheless, It is a very welcome duty to give my best of wishes to my fellow Simtropians, and especially you - all the lojal followers of this humble CJ.

I was very happy and surprised to see that I was nominated for three different Trixies this year! These are my first ever nominations, and I am forever thankful to whoever nominated me at all. Winning a Trixie has never crossed my mind, and to see that the nominations resulted in two runner-ups was incredible and unexpected.

2010_Aesthetically_Pleasing.jpg

2010_Outstanding_Show_Me.jpg

2010_Public_Transport.jpg

Thank you all!

Happy new year! I'll see you all in 2011.

- Eivind

heitomat

The dawn of a new day

Header.jpg

After finishing my exams, hopefully in style, I am now back to spread more Victorian pleasure. However, after returning to Victoria County, I realized that I was not at all happy with the way things were turning out.

Today, I decided to start all over again, on a new, empty and hand-made map. This time I have paid even more attention to possible transit layouts when terraforming, but hopefully this don't shine through. After all, the different types of transit networks are to be the main focus of this CJ. I also decided to make the new map a little (but only a little..) more challenging, by adding more elevation. Still, this region is far from hilly.

So, this is what I have got so far.

Overview_19122010.jpg

Victoria County has already been introduced. And I am not changing my playing style - only the map. Hopefully you will all enjoy starting over just as much as me..

Now, let's get on with it!

- Eivind

heitomat

A good week's sleep..

At the moment, it's in the middle of the night in the capital. And it will be for about another week.

Real life is hitting me hard nowadays.

First of all, I have two very important exams coming up. You see, I am a master's degree law student in my final year, and after 6 years at the university I'm really looking forward to finish in style.

Also, my computer suffered from what I'd like to call an "unfortunate event", meaning it got more or less covered in soot.. Luckily, I've got it thoroughly cleaned, and now it seems to be back in business and fit for fight. The cleaning process put me back a bit, though..

I promise to return with new and (hopefully) interesting updates from Victoria County soon. And because it's only fair, I leave you with a night shot from the Central Station area.

Victoria_Rail_Central_Mosaic_01.jpg

Victoria_Rail_Central_Mosaic_02.jpg

Victoria_Rail_Central_Mosaic_03.jpg

Sweet dreams.

- Eivind

*EDIT: Corrected the appearance of the mosaic.

heitomat

Seaports.jpg

I have never liked dealing with seafronts in SimCity 4. I had a hard time making those land-to-sea transitions look realistic, the Maxis seaport was awful, and I never found the right lot to plop to fill all the tiles along the coast. Lately, thanks to the many great posts by fellow Simtropians, I've realized that it isn't always necessary to put something on every single tile of land. A little flora and rocks will do. Less is more. This update is not a good example, though..

In this update, the focus is on the small suburb of Suffox. It is situated just southwest of the City of Victoria, and houses the main port of the capital. I felt that the original port was way too small to serve a capital, and an expansion was needed. And why not invite you to join the process?

It must be said that I basically demolished almost every trace of the old city center to make room for the expansion. I also reconstructed the rail system. The update is all about seaport construction. Thus, the city is not in any way finished, and - the grid is on. 6.gif

This is the area after terraforming. I used PEG's Leveler to make sure that the coastline was perfectly level.

Suffox_Port_Construction_01.jpg

I basically use three different custom seaport sets. From left to right: PEG CDK3 Seaport, PEG CDK3 and PEG CDK Industrial Seafront. Something to have in mind is the different depth of the lots. The difference in needed space on land is one thing, how the lots overhang the sea is another. This is only important if you want to make smooth transitions between the styles, though. This time, I will only use the two CDK3 sets.

Suffox_Port_Construction_03.jpg

Adding slopes and retaining walls.

Suffox_Port_Construction_02.jpg

And that's it. Now, the different seaport lots have been placed along the coast. In addition to the mentioned PEG seaport lots, I threw in some seawalls. But it is still a lot of empty space. Let's zone (and plop)!

Suffox_Port_Construction_04.jpg

There you go. Suffox Seaport has been expanded. In this picture NOB's LNG set is easily visible to the right. The HKABT Modern Terminal lots (the containers and the large office building) are also easy to spot. I also added some truck stops from paeng's magnificent set. Because the city is still developing, not all zones have buildings on them yet. Still, the seaport itself is finished.

Suffox_Port_Construction_05.jpg

Now that construction is done, let's have a look at a few close-ups. This is NOB's LNG set.

Suffox_Port_02.jpg

The HKABT Modern Terminals building and container yard, Suffox Lower Railyard in between.

Suffox_Port_03.jpg

I noticed the rail tracks in the container yard (not transit enabled), and thought: "What if I made a connection to the CDK3 Seaport using GLR tracks..?" This is the result - eyecandy only, of course.

Suffox_Port_05.jpg

And finally: A container ship passing Drake Islands Lighthouse. (This is not even in Suffox, but I like the simplicity of the picture, so why not..?)

Drake_Islands_Lighthouse_01.jpg

Hope you liked it.

- Eivind

heitomat

Roads - Asphalt arteries

Roads.jpg

First of all I want to thank everyone who commented on my pictures in the various “Show us…” threads. Through these comments, I’ve been given the impression that Victoria’s transit network layouts are of special interest. I’m very flattered by this, and you should know that it has inspired me to pay even more attention to it when I'm playing. Transit networks are an important part of my building style, and this will not be ignored in my CJ.

This is the first of many transit related updates and is to be considered as an introduction to the thoughts and ideas behind the Victorian motorway network.

---

Greater Victoria is the heart of the national motorway network. From here, drivers can follow A-1 to the north, go east on the A-2, or south on A-3. These three motorways are meant to be the backbone of the motorway network in the country. As of date, only the A-1 is complete, and I’ve just started on the A-3. On my regional map, seen in the first update, the motorways (RHW) are in black.

Naming the motorways

All motorways derived from one of the main motorways, are numbered after the “X-nY Standard”:

- X indicates the classification of the deriving road.

- n indicates from which motorway the road is derived from.

- Y the is the deriving road’s designated number.

For instance, the Victoria Inner Ring derives from A-1 at the Upper Gilette Junction, and has been given the number A-11.

U_Gilette_RHW_UGJ_01%28numbers%29.jpg

Classification of the motorways

The motorway classifications are defined and revised by the Department of Transportation.

"A-classified roads must have at least two lanes in each direction, separated by a median. The road must be constructed with no sharp turns, and must be secured with fences or similar. No at-grade intersections are allowed. There are no exceptions from these rules. On these roads there are no speed limits, but a recommended maximum speed of 130 km/h."

Victoria_Heldern_RHW.jpg

"B-classified roads must be secured with fences or similar, and no at-grade intersections are allowed. There are no exceptions from these rules. The centre road marking must be a double, solid line, except for stretches where overtaking is allowed. These stretches must be marked with a double, dotted line. B-classified roads have a speed limit of 100 km/h."

Davesport_RHW.jpg

"C-classified roads are per definition not motorways, but regular roads or avenues considered being of “special infrastructural importance”. Many places these roads run alongside the motorways, indicating that the C-road often is considered an important detour alternative, should something force the motorway to close."

A prime example of “special infrastructural importance” is the C112,

St. Andrews Avenue
, which also junctions with the A-11 at North Winersh Junction.

Victoria_NWinersh_TuLEP.jpg

Signage

As seen on the pictures, A and B-classified roads have blue signs with white text. C-roads have yellow signs with black text. This is an expression of the difference between the "real" motorways and the C-roads.

Directional signs are just as important for drivers as the road numbering. All junctions should be properly marked; exit signs at the exits, and distance signs at the entrances. Each motorway junction is also given a number; 1z on A-1, 2z on A-2, and 3z on A-3, where z is indicates the junction’s number in line from the motorway’s starting point. Note that a motorway junction with an ordinary road or avenue, even if they are C-roads, is not considered a "Junction", but an "Exit".

Ellis_Ridge_RHW_03.jpg

---

That was the boring stuff taken care of.

It may sound unbelievable that I actually have these things in mind when I’m playing. Still, it’s true. I believe that by following these “rules” and standards, I end up with a more uniform motorway network looking more realistic. I hope you don’t find me too crazy..

How do you plan your motorway networks?

-Eivind

heitomat

VIA.jpg

In 1958, in the dense forests surrounding the little village Hatfield, construction began on an airport capable of handling Victoria's growing needs. After World War 2, it was time to rebuild the nation, and do it in style. The airport was no exception.

Construction site of VIA, Hatfield

VIA_Construction_01.jpg

VIA_Construction_02.jpg

During the years as Victoria grew, so did VIA. It has been upgraded and expanded several times, the last time with the construction of the domestic Terminal 3. Today, it is by far the largest airport in the country. VIA is a hub for national airlines WestJet, SouthWest Airlines and Northwest.

Overview of VIA, facing east

VIA_Overview.jpg

VIA_RWY_01.jpg

VIA_RWY_02.jpg

Cargo Terminal

VIA_Cargo.jpg

Terminals 2 (top) and domestic Terminal 3

VIA_Term_2and3.jpg

International Terminal - Terminal 1

VIA_Mosaic_01.jpgVIA_Mosaic_02.jpgVIA_Mosaic_03.jpgVIA_Mosaic_04.jpg

As it is said in the commercial: "To the world via VIA".

- Eivind

heitomat

Header.jpg

Dear visitor.

Welcome to Victoria! As a government representative it is my pleasure to introduce you to this marvellous region. On the following pages, you will find pictures and information about the many things Victoria County has to offer. As you may already know, Victoria County is named after the region's largest city, which is also the capital of the country. Most of the region forms the Greater Victoria urban area.

The City of Victoria is a typical vibrant, modern, European capital. Still, it is warm and welcoming and the natural financial engine and administrative center of our country. The streets of the city are breathing history; parts of the street lay-out have been left unchanged ever since medieval times when the city was founded. Make sure to enjoy a picnic in one of the capital's many recreational areas as well. Take a stroll along the promenade, enjoy a scenic bus ride, or fight for your rights on the Victoria Underground. It is all up to you.

But Victoria County is so much more than just the capital. As you travel along, you will also be able to enjoy small villages and rural surroundings, local cuisine and traditions - all wrapped in genuine, Victorian hospitality. Below you will find an overview of our region. We are proud of our county and hope that your visit will leave an impression of why.

Enjoy your stay.

Sincerely,

Justin Case

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Victoria County - An overview

Region_2010-11-18.jpg

Victoria County - Transportation map

Transport_2010-11-18.jpg

---

I'm sorry to start with a letter from the government, but they insisted..

This map is made entirely from scratch. It's a fictional region in a fictional country in Europe. My aim is, and have always been, to build as realistic as possible. I tend to pay an extraordinary amount of time fixing details, which really makes time fly.

The vast majority of the buildings are grown. I don't use any "Super Demand mod" or such, and sometimes it takes ages before the "right" buildings appear. I also try to build my cities self sustainable; no money trees or cheat codes. I do, however, sometimes call cousin Vinnie..

The region, as you can see, is far from finished and still a work-in-progress. However, I've been randomly posting pictures from it in the "Show us.." threads, and finally thought I might as well try to put the pictures in a CJ. I'll probably post new regional maps as it develops.

Mods of special interest used:

Now, I believe you have a region to discover? Let's conclude this introduction with a few random pictures from Victoria County.

From City of Victoria - Victoria Central Station

Victoria_Rail_Central_03.jpg

From Suffox - Suffox Container Terminal

Suffox_Port_01.jpg

From Upper Gilette - The A-11

U_Gilette_RHW_UGJ_03.jpg

From Norwick - Farms

Norwick_Rural_01.jpg

- Eivind