Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Welcome in Canterbury, the biggest city in a fictional Province of New West England. Flood! | New Update: Millenium Dome (Update 1)

Entries in this City Journal

TheMentalist

logoar.jpg

isleofcats.jpg

Isle of Cats is a residential neighbourhood and a former island, located south of Docklands. It was a home for hundreds of people working in The Port of Canterbury. Currently it is a middle class residential area covered by several trees, which protect the district from flooding. The district took its name from wildcats living in this place in the past.

14689574.jpg

89384754.jpg

11859111.jpg

34752595.jpg

66557306.jpg

50717119.jpg

TheMentalist

Docklands is a modern office area in the eastern part of Canterbury. The docks were formerly part of the Port of Canterbury, at one time the world's largest port. They have now been redeveloped principally for commercial and residential use.

IMGP1588.jpg

In the Middle Ages, ships tended to dock at small quays in the present-day Isle of Cats. When British Empire increased its trade with overseas territories, the quays become insufficient for large number of vessels. In 1802, the first new dock was opened, followed by other projects completed in the 1805-1830 period. In addition, several warehouses and working-class homes were build in the area.

During World War II Docklands were converted into naval port and supply warehouse with humanitarian aid and arms support for Allies. In 1962, construction of the Newport was started, finished in 1968. Old docks as no longer needed were finally closed and abandoned in 1981.

In 1994, new era for Docklands has started. First line of Docklands Light Railway was opened and City of Canterbury announced new redevelopment project for the area. Today, thousands of Canterburians work in this area, but in a middle of the day, when everyone are at work, Docklands look deserted.

29027249.jpg

90943651.jpg

76411365.jpg

51447471.jpg

canary_wharf_station_800x531_85.jpg

canary-wharf-station-vie.jpg

068-Canary_wharf_tube_concourse.jpg

Canary.wharf.dlr.station.arp.750pix.jpg

48038621.jpg

63308640.jpg

59365142.jpg

20505395.jpg

78608404.jpg

60504910.jpg

Any feedback is more than welcomed. Leave a comment. More coming soon!

free counters

TheMentalist

Introduction

Welcome in my new City Journal. I will present here City of Canterbury, located in a fictional Province of New West England. It's my second CJ after Worchester, made under another Simtropolis account. I abondended the project in late 2008 because of other acvtivities. I wanted to reactivate it some day, but unfortunetly I lost all my files from the hard drive, so it was not possible.

Now, after several weeks (!) of preperations, I'm finally ready to present my new city. It will be loosely based on London, New York and other American, Canadian, Australian, German as well as Polish cities. As I did Worchester CJ, in the first update I'm going to present Docklands - modern office district located in the eastern parts of Canterbury.

logoar.jpg

flagsm.jpg

coatofarms.jpg

previewaw.jpg
intro12.jpg

intro11.jpg

intro10.jpg

intro9.jpg

intro8.jpg

intro7.jpg

intro4.jpg

intro3n.jpg