• Moose

The Region of Arda

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A small hand made region where I plan to create a "Minitropolis." I never seem to finish my huge projects, so I thought I'd make a small region and detail it heavily, in the process...

Entries in this City Journal

r0g3r

Just a small update because I wanted to show you what the region is currently looking like.

regionsep10-2010.jpg

regiontranssep10-2010.jpg

And this is just something extra, unrelated......I think this region is going to be my next CJ. I rendered it from my daughter's ultrasound image, I think it will look nice with lots of detailed landscaping. Definitely a more challenging and ambitious region than this one.....and also 4x larger:

ARABELLA.jpg

r0g3r

Isengard, the tour...

Thanks for the kind words, they are very encouraging.

So the two mosaics were just a teaser, there is much more to see in Isengard. Keep in mind that I'm choosing first to show you the "slums" of the region....saving some of my best ideas for later and for other parts of the region.

Isengard_wide_1.jpg

Isengard_wide_2.jpg

Isengard_wide_3.jpg

Isengard_wide_4.jpg

Isengard_wide_Night_2.jpg

Isengard_detail_13.jpg

Isengard_detail_12.jpg

Isengard_detail_10.jpg

Isengard_detail_8.jpg

Isengard_detail_5.jpg

Isengard_detail_2.jpg

Isengard_detail_1.jpg

Isengard_detail_Night_3.jpg

Isengard_detail_Night_1.jpg

Isengard_detail_Night_2.jpg

Isengard_detail_dusk.jpg

Isengard_detail_20.jpg

Isengard_detail_afb.jpg

Isengard_detail_15.jpg

Isengard_detail_14.jpg

Isengard_detail_7.jpg

r0g3r

Had enough of nature yet? This suburb of Valinor is a bustling town that supplies most of the power for the region. Dharma Island mostly supplies nuclear power, but also uses oil plants, incenerates garbage, and recycles. The island generates pollution and some say nuclear waste escapes from time to time as well. Some residents claim to have spotted three-eyed fish, though no specimens have ever turned up for study.

Just a teaser to introduce you:

Welcome to Isengard

Daycomp1-1.jpg

Daycomp2-1.jpg

Daycomp3-1.jpg

At Night:

isengardnightcomp1-1.jpg

isengardnightcomp2-1.jpg

r0g3r

Shorline Tutorial

Ok I finally got enough time to do the tutorial I promised for my next update.

I'd like to reiterate that I'm not the best at this, and there are probably better tutorials out there. In fact, I learned some of this from tutorials, but I have also come up with some of my own ways of doing things, which is why I decided to share this with you all.

This tutorial is to show you how I handle shorelines with in game water (as opposed to ploppable water - which I handle in a similar manner anyways), when I want them detailed and rocky.

Here are the mods you'll need:

HBS Grassy Rocks

Gizmo Water Flora

PEG Pond Kit

RRP Pasture Flora Set

This last one is optional, but I find it easier to blend things with this than the default:

Black Sand Beach Mod

The key to getting things to look natural is the element of randomness. Don't worry about making anything perfect, nature is not perfect. Avoid straight lines.

STEP 1:

Starting with the HBS Grassy Rocks, fill in your intended detail area. Clicking once gives you some midsized rocks, twice gives you smaller ones, and more clicks yield various boulders. I usually use the medium rocks with the a double click for smaller rocks overlapping the medium rocks, then add the boulders randomly. It looks like this:

Tutorial-1.jpg

Tutorial-2.jpg

Tutorial-3.jpg

Tutorial-4.jpg

STEP 2:

Finish filling in your designated area with rock clusters. "Paint" them into the area you just added the HBS rocks to. Overlap with the waves in the water, so that they mask the transition. It looks like this:

Tutorial-5.jpg

Tutorial-7.jpg

STEP 3:

Paint the land facing edge of your designated area with pebbles. Just paint a curvy line following somewhat the edge shape of the rocks you have laid down already. It should have some overlap with the rocks. It looks like this:

Tutorial-8.jpg

Tutorial-10.jpg

STEP 4:

Paint another curvy line just like you did with the pebbles, this time using "shoreline small" as your brush. Again overlap with the pebbles is what you want. It looks like this:

Tutorial-11.jpg

Tutorial-14.jpg

STEP 5:

Using brown rye grass, click along the land facing edge of your area, overlapping the pebbles and shoreline small as much as possible. Space out each click so that each patch of rye grass overlaps barely or not at all with each other. It looks like this:

Tutorial-15.jpg

Tutorial-17.jpg

STEP 6:

Repeat step 5, except this time use green rye grass. Have the green grass overlap the brown grass, but not other green grass, just like you did with the brown. It looks like this:

Tutorial-18.jpg

Tutorial-19.jpg

STEP 7:

Add random weeds. Multiple clicks yeild different variations, and holding the mouse lets you paint them on.

Tutorial-20.jpg

Tutorial-21.jpg

Tutorial-22.jpg

STEP 8: (optional)

Add random water flora:

Tutorial-23.jpg

Tutorial-25.jpg

Tutorial-26.jpg

And finally you should have something that resembles this:

Tutorial-27.jpg

Thanks for checking out my CJ, and I hope the tutorial has been helpful.

r0g3r

Still more landscape.

Once again thanks for the comments

@WiltonWarrior: My dogs names are Dharma and Zen, but I did name Dharma after LOST,and chose Zen's name because it goes well with Dharma. 

Ok, yet more landscape, almost done though.

Isengard.jpg

Isengarddetail1.jpg

havens.jpg

havens-detail-2.jpg

havens-detail-1.jpg

havens-detail-3.jpg

Since everyone seems to like my landscaping, I will probably give a tutorial of how I do nature.

r0g3r

First off, thanks for the kind words. One of the reasons I post CJs is for that encouragement to keep working on my project and it's greatly appreciated. Reikhardt, if I'm able to pass on anything I know to you through this CJ, I'd be very glad. I learned what little I know completely from following CJs and tutorials on this site. So, if I can reciprocate, even in the smallest way, that makes me very happy.

Now, continuing our look at the unspoiled region:

Field of flowers

Arda_Dale.jpg

Mouth of stream

Pond

This small bit of road and culverts are the only construction in the region right now, they were placed only so I wouldn't forget where I wanted the stream crossing to be.

Stream crossing

r0g3r

This CJ marks my return to creating CJs after a very long hiatus. This is my third City Journal, but my least ambitious, because I never could complete the other gigantic regions I chose. Arda will be very light on story, and more focused on the terraforming and city building aspects of the region.  I wanted a compact region with a lot of flat space, but also just a little bit of everything (mountain, lake, hill, stream, river, ocean, bay, island etc.) My plan is to turn this area into a "Minitropolis" with outlying suburbs and farmland, and use what I learn here to create more ambitious CJs in the future.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks for checking out my Journal.

Here is the region in it's pristine state (enjoy it now, because I'm going to build right over all this detailed terraforming soon!):

Arda Region

A look at the Geography of Arda:

Arda Geography

A zoomed out view of Erebor:

Here is a zoomed out view of Erebor:

Erebor Detal 1:Erebor terrain detail

Erebor Detail 2:

erebor-Terraindetail4.jpg

I will continue the region tour in the next update.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0