Akadia

Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

After a catastrophic event, New York City has risen again. This journal includes cities, seaports, war, and the occasional intrigue.

Entries in this City Journal

the00guvna

My plans

After having dropped off the earth for a long time, over the last week or so I'm getting interested in playing SimCity 4 again. I don't think I'll continue this journal, but right now I'm in the planning stages of a new mega-region that I'll build from scratch. Tune in in a few months when I hope I'll have enough done to start a new journal.

the00guvna

The Akadian 1st Tank Army has been steadily driving through Jersey Federation lands, and has now reached the barrier island that will lead them to New Antea, the capital of the Jersey Federation. Wisely, they have decided to dig in and let the Jersey Federation attack them, as they know the president of the Federation will not allow for an Akadian force to be this close to the capital.

The Akadians have constructed three lines of anti-tank defenses, two log lines and one stone wall. Pictured here are the Akadian forward positions.

201z.png

The Akadian rear-echelon, with several reserve tank formations and rocket artillery installations.

202p.png

The field headquarters of the 3-star General Tymos of the Akadian Army.

203tp.png

The field headquarters of the Federation forces.

204k.png

A Federation light tank battalion.

205kq.png

Federation heavy tank spearheads are moving toward the Akadians now.

206c.png

Akadian fire holes the fuel tank of the lead tank in the leading spearhead.

207x.png

In return, Federation tanks hit and destroy a section of the anti-tank wall.

208j.png

Akadian tanks prepare for a massed volley.

209m.png

Akadian rocket artillery gets the order to fire with all the tanks.

2010v.png

Akadian fire devastates the leading formation.

2011yl.png

Federation troops destroy a good portion of the log barrier.

2012s.png

A few Akadian tanks are also hit.

2013v.png

So far, this battle seems to be solidly in Akadian hands.

But, stay tuned for Part 2 of the battle, (and Part 3, if there is one).

Thanks for reading!

the00guvna

Treachery

akadiareplies.jpg

Mikeaut1:Thanks for your comment!

Schulmanator:Thanks! That building will fit in almost any downtown.

cjnewspaper.jpg

On the scene now is Chopper Eleven with some dramatic views.

portsmouthfeb5791308092.png

Mike: So right now, we're hovering over the waterfront district, and we can see that all of the fires have gone out.

Judy: As you can see, there is just rubble everywhere, and the streets are still crowded with firemen and fire engines.

Mike: There are still heavy rescue teams searching through collapsed buildings and rubble and trying to find any kind of survivors.

Judy: Large trucks from the Department of Transportation are hauling rubble that has been sifted through already to the ocean and dumping it into the water.

Mike: Currently, there are several fire planes that are dumping water onto downtown in an effort to try to reduce the amount of dust that is toxic to humans.

the00guvna

Greetings everyone! Today I will show downtown Portsmouth.

181o.png

City Plaza, three identical buildings where the Portsmouth City Government is headquartered.

182b.png

A district of small commercial offices and businesses.

183y.png

Portsmouth Metro Center, the main station for the subway and bus lines.

184ce.png

Tunnels under the busy streets have been put in so that buses can enter the station with minimum delay. Prior to the tunnels, bus on time percentage was only at 32% due to the heavy congestion at one of the busiest intersections in Portsmouth. After the tunnels were built, on time percentage rose to 98%.

185y.png

Portsmouth City Center Station on the Dart high speed rail line. The line currently serves Portsmouth and its outskirts, but a massive expansion project is underway to link Portsmouth with Bayport via high speed rail. At this station, there are bus and subway connections, and parking.

186k.png

The Adams Street Bypass, an elevated highway that bypasses the busiest road in Porstmouth and emerges right in the heart of downtown.

187y.png

Portsmouth Central Park

188ch.png

Large commercial towers.

189u.png

1810.png

An overview of downtown from the east.

1811.png

Thanks for viewing!

the00guvna

Due to a tie in the poll, the next feature shown in Akadia will be Portsmouth. This city will take up several entries.

Here is a teaser of downtown Portsmouth and the seaport so you will know what to expect.

portsmouthteaser.png

the00guvna

What's Next?

akadiapoll.jpg

Right now, I am in varying stages of progress in three projects. They are the city of Portsmouth, which includes a large seaport and spans several city tiles, the war between Akadia and the Jersey Federation, and a rural area called Taylorsville. Which one do you want to see next?

the00guvna

In the Navy...

Hello, all! I am back from a long hiatus of updating this CJ. But, I have not been inactive in my region. Today we will see Naval Station Westport, which was constructed when the need for a larger base to support a larger navy came about. Enjoy!

An overview.

151r.png

The berth for the nuclear carriers Valiant and Fearless.

152u.png

A berth for battleships and guided missile cruisers.

153e.png

Refueling platform for non-capital ships such as frigates, destroyers, and cruisers.

154wt.png

Another overview shot.

151t.png

This picture shows the warehouses, rail, and infrastructure needed to sustain ships at sea.

152c.png

The dock for seaborne supplies. Merchant traffic from the western end of the base is strictly prohibited.

155n.png

The central distribution warehouse for break-bulk goods. They come in by rail and by truck, are sorted, and then sent by rail or truck to the correct ship.

156ee.png

The birth for the Dauntless, an SSBN (Sub Surface, Ballistic, Nuclear) submarine.

157q.png

The heavy-repair docks. Pictured here are the battleship Revenge and the cruiser Archer.

158u.png

The entrance station to the base.

159ak.png

The power station.

1510.png

The main missile defense system, equipped with powerful AEGIS radar and the latest Striker Surface to Air missiles.

1511.png

Miscellaneous and base-related warehouses and industry.

1512.png

The container staging area.

1513f.png

The repair docks and the larger-ship refueling area.

1515.png

Thank you for viewing!

My current projects include a seaport, a large city that spans many tiles, and a naval battle.

Stay tuned!

the00guvna

The Akadian commanders have adopted a strategy of four main thrusts against the Jersey Federation.

akadiastrategyplan.jpg

The first step in cutting the Federation in half is the capture of Montauk, or Operation Eagle Claw. The forces here have two main objectives. First, eliminate this coal mine.

objective1.png

Second, destroy the military base, freight station, and oil tanks in the town of Price.

objective2.png

Operation Eagle Claw begins with a bombardment of Jersey Federation armor stationed on Hill 132, the gateway to the coal mine and Price.

hill132.png

Akadian rocket launchers.

samsites.png

Many hits are scored on the Jersey Federation tanks.

burningtanks.png

bombardment1.png

After a fierce tank battle, the Akadians assemble and begin to bombard the coal mine.

carbonville1.png

carbonville2.png

Now the Akadian armored column moves up the railroad track to get to Price.

armoredcolumn2.png

armoredcolumn1.png

The Akadians assemble on the ridge above Price.

assembledontheridge.png

The bombardment begins.

oiltanks2.png

raildepot1.png

depot1.png

depot2.png

With this Price and the coal mine reduced to rubble, Akadian armored and mechanized infantry can sweep towards the capital, New Antea.

Next update will be a tour of Naval Station Westport, and after that there will be a naval battle and amphibious assault in close proximity of New Antea.

Long live the Akadian Revolution!

the00guvna

Tensions Rise

As illustrated by the map below, the Lower Hudson Republic is not actually its own country, rather a semi-autonomous region under the control of the Jersey Federation. The name “Lower Hudson Republic” is really a misnomer, as it is not a republic, and the name is not what the people inhabiting the region wanted it to be.

Recently there have been tensions rising between these two areas.

mapofnortheast.jpg

First, The Lower Hudson Republic is not given full representatation in the parliament of the Jersey Federation, even though about half of the Jersey Federation population is concentrated in Akadia City, the metropolis of which Bayport is part of.

Second, the Lower Hudson Republic has been asking for ages for its official name to be changed to Akadia, the name it was given decades before the Jersey Federation assumed power. At the last meeting of the parliament, the president of the Jersey Federation announced that if the Lower Hudson Republic asked once more for a name change, military forces would occupy all major cities in the region.

montaukmar3138130049215.png

However, the biggest event happened just recently, in a town called Montauk, in what used to be Pennsylvania. Montauk is a small backwoods town, and is dependent mainly on farming, mining, and logging.

montaukmar3138130049260.png

On the road leading into town, we can see a small Jersey Federation military convoy that has broken down.

montaukmar3138130049234.png

Moments later, the convoy vaporizes, and the surrounding woods suddenly start to blaze.

montaukmar3138130049273.png

Then, the fire started spreading to the farm fields and the coal-fired power plant.:O

When all was said and done, all of Montauk was without power, acres of crops and trees were burned, and ten people were killed.

But, this is not the most distressing thing about this whole incident. Those circumstances, the spontaneous flames but no crater or explosion, are chillingly identical to what happened in the Demise ( the huge disaster that caused the destruction of the entire Northeast north of the New Jersey state line).

Eyewitnesses who survived realized this, and reported this incident to the Department of War of the Lower Hudson Republic. They quickly connected the dots and realized that it was the Jersey Federation that was responsible for the Demise and the deaths of millions of people, and declared war on the Jersey Federation, declared itself an independent nation, and changed its name to Akadia.

the00guvna

Announcement

I am sorry I have not been able to update, I have been swamped with schoolwork and skiing. During the summer, I will start showcasing another city in the Lower Hudson Republic, Portsmouth. Expect another massive seaport!

P.S. If you type into Google Images "vandy shipping" two of the pictures that come up are from this CJ. 9.gif

the00guvna

Tired of seeing nice suburbs and pristine downtowns with shiny skyscrapers?Well, this update is just for you!

On the west side of the John D. Augustus Freeway lies a dilapidated and rusty industrial area.

111ew.jpg

112peo.jpg

Oil tanks, concrete, and dumpsters.

113vj.jpg

A small generating plant and substation.

114ol.jpg

Small manufacturing businesses.

115zb.jpg

More stripped cars and dumpsters.

116tu.jpg

A train maintenance shed for the Bayport Metro and Eastern New York Commuter Rail.

117eq.jpg

The metro, rust railways, and the freeway.

118dl.jpg

A final shot.

Hope you enjoy!

the00guvna

The Old City

Today we'll be looking at part of the east side of the city. (highlighted in red)

101dt.jpg

This part is known for its old quarter, buildings here are from at least the 1940's.

102ht.jpg

Here is the tunnel to the seaport and the waterfront area.

103hp.jpg

A construction site, a plaza, and some tall buildings of downtown.

104lc.jpg

An overheard shot of the old city. Rowhouses and brick walkups bounded by more modern buildings.

105rr.jpg

A closer shot.

106bd.jpg

A light rail train passing throught the neighborhood.

107k.jpg

The Hotel Christine, in business since 1900.

108vq.jpg

It was a dark night in a dark and narrow alleyway.....

That's all for now!

Stay tuned!

the00guvna

The Seaport

Hi guys! Sorry about the delay, school has been super busy and this is the first chance I have had to work on some shots.

So here is the seaport. I am now using PEG's Brigantine water mod. Hope you like it!

912b.jpg

Here is an overhead shot of the whole complex. You can see the docks, the rail yards, the cranes, even part of downtown.

92206829.jpg

Here is the tunnel to East Bayport's Downtown.

15232141.jpg

A container area next to the massive railyard.

15723504.jpg

The Sherlock pictured unloading its cargo.

47908824.jpg

Area 11, a container loading area with some industry mixed in.

76283197.jpg

Coal docks, where coal is loaded for rail transport for power stations across the region.

62724969.jpg

A mobile crane. These are very useful, as they can just move along the docks to unload cargo.

54213257.jpg

One of the container unloading areas. It requires a larger crane to unload than to load.

76421077.jpg

One of the oil docks, where oil is unloaded into massive storage tanks, below.

11569540.jpg

Hope you enjoy! Again, I will try to update next weekend!

the00guvna

Naval Base

Due to its location, Bayport is home to the largest naval base of the Lower Hudson Republic. Stationed here is one battleship, two cruisers, five destroyers, four submarines, and 12 patrol boats. (Just don't tell anybody) 41.gif

89698471.jpg

An overview of the base

88630765.jpg

The LHS Revenge, flagship of the fleet.

10593982.jpg

The submarine pens. Four attack subs are stationed here, the O'Kane, the Dealey, the Richard Lark, and the Alf Engen.

87311176.jpg

The Destroyer Docks. Oddly enough, all five are docked at the same time.

36441579.jpg

Two Aegis equipped cruisers of the Arleigh Burke class.

12462597.jpg

The DASH (Drone AntiSubmarine Helicopter) is capable of hunting and killing subs with no crew on board. More forward is the VLS system and the Harpoon missile launchers. 

15049071.jpg

The patrol boat Speedy is pictured being refueled.

63737368.jpg

RRRGGGHHH! I'VE ABOUT HAD IT WITH YOU!!!!!!!32.gifHa Ha JK

Fed up is a civilian contractor that specializes in moving freight short distances over water. Just think FedEx truck, but on water.

810d.jpg

The logistics center. A surprising amount of supplies is needed to sustain a warship at sea.

811i.jpg

Another unloading area.

That's all!

Hope you enjoy!

the00guvna

Downtown: Part Two

Here is the second part of downtown

Here is the Topmast District, just south of the CBD. It is named partly for the wooden sailing ship found in the harbor and the tall residential towers.

56941360.jpg

Here is a general overhead shot.

66084174.jpg

Two larger mixed use buidings. Both offer condos and office/retail space.

81233779.jpg

A busy construction site.

76400398.jpg

Stark contrast. Luxury apartments, a large tenement, and modest rowhouses.

17010797.jpg

The Wacker Street Building is framed by smaller buildings and the channel. Oil tanks and the breakbulk harbor can also be seen.

66096598.jpg

Wow that building is ugly.

80691142.jpg

The interchanges and the highways that form a ring around the CBD are always jam packed. This is taken in an off hour.

51725472.jpg

That's all. I am trying to squeeze in as many updates as I can now, before school starts. Then only expect an update once a week, maybe even less.

Hope you enjoy!

the00guvna

Downtown: Part One

Now we will see downtown and the Topmast District. Though technically different, they are so close and intertwined that I need to put them together. That is why there are two parts to downtown. The Topmast District is primarily high rise residential, and downtown is all commercial.

88357287.jpg

Here is an overview of downtown. You can see the canal on the right( See last Entry).

68819725.jpg

The Bayport Commerce Index (BCIX). The lime green building to the right is the Carson Federal Building.

13395323.jpg

The Montauk Coal and Lumber Co. Spoiler Alert!!! Ahwoogah!!

68732161.jpg

The Evil Vanadium Company. (Look, you shouldn't judge a company just by its name, okay?)

38431536.jpg

Port Authority of Bayport. Manages the seaport, highway, and light rail system. (quite a job)

56219597.jpg

The tall building is the Cardinal Airlines Building, the talles structure in the Republic.

37975972.jpg

City Tower, where most of the administrative duties are carried out.

37311982.jpg

Mendo Life and the Bank of America, two major corporations centered in Bayport.

Hope you enjoy!

the00guvna

Along the canal...

North of downtown runs a canal. Although it looks like it is just for show, it actually plays a part in the transfer of water from the desalination plant to the water pumps.

30525172.jpg

To the left are some of the smaller midrise offices of downtown.

17646617.jpg

Buildings along the canal are much older, having survived the catastrophic Demise.

71356408.jpg

55549494.jpg

The building on the left is an old Dutch church, dating back to the 1600's. It is now a protected historical site.

61326757.jpg

The city courthouse

36955545.jpg

25243322.jpg

Living on the canal has its perks, your own stair case down to the water.

34553685.jpg

The desalination plant. The West Side gets most of its water from the sea.

58655911.jpg

Though this building is not on the canal, I decided to include it anyway. This was where the World's Fair was held.

Hope you enjoy!

the00guvna

Notice

Hi guys! I am going on a trip to Southern Utah starting tomorrow, so don't expect an update until Friday or Saturday.. i hope i haven't lost you..

the00guvna

North Bayport

There are still some positions available!

Councillors: Seven positions available

Judge: peachpit580

City Planner: jocky jack 7

Minister of Transport: figgy

Minister of War: iowndiscti

Okay so here is a picture to orient yourself.

Before, we visited Pier One (1) and today we will visit North Bayport (2).

Later, we will visit downtown Bayport itself and the seaport.

50924568.jpgNorth Bayport is centered around the railroad, which used to carry freight traffic. Now, the line has been electrified for commuter rail.

53004124.jpg

Here, local citizens have planted a wall of hedges near the ramp to the rail embankment.

55723856.jpg

A junction on the rail line.

93771296.jpg

A small town center built around a rail station.

87797399.jpg

Some big-box stores.

86816970.jpg

A small power substation.

70870709.jpg

The commercial district of the small town of Alton. It is the third largest commercial district in Bayport.

41111616.jpg

Enjoy!!!

the00guvna

Pier One

Pier One is where all local shipping is loaded and unloaded. It is located on the coastline of the western part of the city.

pierone.jpgHere are some more shots of the proccessing areas and dock yards.

rowwarehouses1.jpg

containerarea2.jpg

cdksp1.jpg

docks1.jpg

The fire department boat and garbage docks, where garbage is hauled out of the city by scows.

garbagedocks.jpg

The oil storage tanks.

oiltanks1.jpg

A ship operated by Vandy-Lee Shipping

vlsship.jpg

That's all for today folks! Hope you like it!

Oh and by the way, feel free to flaunt your positions of office in your signature!

the00guvna

Introduction

Hello and welcome to Bayport!

bayportregionview.jpg

Here is a overhead shot of the city.

History: (Groan). (Don't worry, it won't be too bad). When the Demise occurred, most of North American civilization was wiped out (Oh noes!). But with European aid shipments coming in, this was not to be for long. 25 years after the Demise, New York City had been born again. But it wasn't just a city, it was a country. The Lower Hudson Republic, to be exact. It developed first on Manhattan Island, then spread out. Now we come to Bayport. It was constructed at the mouth of a new sea channel leading out to the Atlantic. This made it ideal for the construction of a seaport, the largest on the continent.

newyorkrepublic.jpgHere is a shot of the majority of the Republic.

Bayport is a major highway junction.

bayporttransportmap.jpg

One last thing. If you want to hold public office in Bayport, just PM me.

Here are the available positions:

Councillors: Seven

District Judge

City Planner

Minister of Transport

Minister of War.

That's all for now! Stay tuned!!!!

Sign in to follow this