• Views

About this City Journal

This is a historic CJ, taking you on trip from the 1930s to present day. I

Entries in this City Journal

riiga

1999 (part 2)

banner_ostergarda.jpg

1999 (part 2)

Continuing from the previous overview, here's one that shows the different neighbourhoods of Östergårda.

th_Ostergarda_stadsdelar.jpg

(click for full resolution!)

- riiga

riiga

1995-1999

banner_ostergarda.jpg

1995-1999

We're slowly approaching present day. Three new roundabouts have been constructed, and in the west a new mall as well as some single-family houses.

Ostergarda_1999_thumb.jpg

- riiga

riiga

1992-1994

banner_ostergarda.jpg

1992-1994

First of all I wish to apologize for being extremely lazy and not posting any updates. :P

(Proof: I copied that text from the last update and changed it a bit)

After the recession comes the economic growth! The ring road has been mostly completed and some new areas with apartment buildings have been built. This is the last update before entering the (almost) present day. I think we all (Europeans at least) know that this means roundabouts, and lots of them! :P

1994-thumb.png

- riiga

riiga

1989-1991

banner_ostergarda.jpg

1989-1991

First of all I wish to apologize for being lazy and not posting updates. :whatevs:

Due to the onging recession, it was decided to put more money into infrastructure despite the recent budget cuts. However, it wasn't the previously uncompleted part that was to be built, but rather a new motorway junction. A partial Y-interchange was chosen since there isn't enough space for a full interchange.

1991-0.jpg

The finished interchange - Vemstorp Junction. (Trafikplats Vemstorp)

1991-1.jpg

1991-2.jpg

1991-3.jpg

- riiga

riiga

1987-1988

1987-1988

At first, it seemed like 1B-2C would be the route to be built, but due to some last minute budget changes, half the project was put on hold and the only stretch to be built was 2A...

Construction on 2A

Due to the previously mentioned budget constraints an at-grade rail crossing was the only option. However, an overpass will be top priority during the coming years.

- riiga

riiga

1984-1986

1984-1986

With increasing amounts of traffic, the need for an eastern by-pass has grown quite big. The National Road Administration has decided to fund the construction, but however the local farmers and family house owners near the planned route are opposing the construction. A typical case of NIMBY (Not In My Backyard). Therefore, I'll let you readers decide. I won't put up a proper poll, since I'd rather you write a comment with your opinion. Pick any viable combination of the route alternatives in the picture below, or you can of course oppose the proposal altogether!

(2637x1065)

- riiga

riiga

1979-1983

1979-1983

Just before the turn of the decade, there was a try at expanding the city with medium density zoning instead of just sprawl.

The small shopping area is growing with the construction of a mall.

Construction of an overpass due to the now widened railroad.

The road was also re-aligned and a test stretch for Östergårda's first "motortrafikled" (RHW-2).

- riiga

riiga

1978 (part 2)

Time for an overview, this time of 1978. Major changes include the completion of the motorway and external residential areas.

- riiga

riiga

1974-1978

1974-1978

A small shopping area, with Östergårda's first IKEA store. To the far left you can also see the newly constructed hospital.

Reconstruction of the motorway interchange:

The interchange in its completed form:

An overpass, since several small roads were cut off due to the completion of the motorway.

- riiga

riiga

More Million Programme areas constructed, and here's a small mosaic of one such area.

- riiga

riiga

1965-1969

1965-1969

With more people moving in each day, it was decided a new Million Programme area was to be built.

Construction almost complete:

The number of cars have gone up with almost 400 % in 10 years. As a test for the future, a short strech of motorway along with an interchange was constructed.

Sprawl is still non-existant, but on the rise.

- riiga

riiga

Following the rapid expansion and urban renewal, it was decided that the rail station was to be upgraded.

Finished:

Now that there has been a great deal of development, I give you the 1964 aerial overview.

(click for full resolution | 2867x1982)

Feel free to give your suggestions on future expansion. 2.gif

- riiga

riiga

There has been some more suburban development, in contrast to the Million Programme and its following urban renewal:

Finished:

As a part of the urban renewal, it has been decided that the old buildings in town are to be replaced with a new office.

The result:

- riiga

riiga

1959-1962

1959-1962

First, the avenue is finally extended to its final destination:

Now, construction on the Million Programme area has begun:

Almost complete:

Area finished, with a mix of single houses, lowrises and nice government-funded apartments:

- riiga

riiga

Continuing from the previous update, work has now begun on the avenue:

Phase 1 partially completed:

Construction shot:

Phase 1 completed:

Next update, we'll take a look at the construction of the new residential area.

riiga

1945-1953

1945-1953

From this overview shot, you can see how there's been some suburban development:

(click for full resolution)

View of the development:

Of course, there's still lots of farms left, as seen here:

Due to population growth and state subsidies, there have been talks to widen and extend the west-east road and construct a new residential area on the other side of the rail line.

That's it for this time! (Bad pun indeed) 3.gif

riiga

1935-1945

1935-1945

Continuing, we move on to the year 1935, with the construction of a new industrial area. Part of the state's industrial seven-year programme, they've decided to construct industrial plants near the railway.

Construction shot:Image

Two years earlier than expected, in 1940, this overview shows the completed area to the right:

Slowly expanding, by 1945, the city had grown with some new residential development as well as another industrial area. Also, an asphalt road have been constructed through the town.

Until next time, feel free to comment, and make any suggestions you'd like. ;)

riiga

Starting off in 1930

Östergårda is a small town located in the Österköping Region, which is part of Swärje. We start off in the 1930s, with the construction of the first railroad line to Östergårda.

First is the overview of the city:

station1.jpg

And here's the local church, which is located in the center of the town:

station2.jpg

This is the plan for the construction of a single track railroad line to Östergårda:

jrnvg_1930.jpg

Construction pictures:

station4.jpg

station5.jpg

station3.jpg

station6.jpg

The finished local station:

station7.jpg

station8.jpg

- riiga