• Moose

A Day in the Life

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The life of a bus driver that works in all the Gironda region (a Portuguese-speaking off-coast independent Republic) cities and so wherever he is called he must go (sometimes, i will also...

Entries in this City Journal

AND93

Exploration Day

After a few days, I'm back and so writing a new post. Today I'll drive the career 484 (Rederdão Elementary - Trevo Stadium, via Farada)

And so I leave Rederdão Elementary School in the heart of Rederdão at 6:15, just before the night rush hour, and so we'll have some traffic in the suburban city entries. Rederdão is a poor suburban town, located in the concil of Frascamento, near the A10 highway and served by the high-speed rail line of Southern Island. As I've never been here before, and I'll be drift by GPS, I guess this will be an exploration trip for me!

rederdao.png

Finally after 3 stops, I catch the A10 highway but leave in the first stop in the neighbouring town of Frascamento. The lack of traffic is mostly due to the importance of public transportation which is itself due to generalized poverty

rederdaoauto.png

As said before, I leave in the first stop, but until I get to enter in the center of Frascamento town, I lose 15 minutes of my life in traffic... In Frascamento city entrance traffic is really, really bad!

autosaida.png

In Frascamento I make just a couple of stops being the most important one the town's transit hub... It has only hsr and bus but also has capacity for el.rail and commuter rail. Here I stop 6 minutes, and about a third of the people leave... but the people who enter make half the bus!

frascamento.png

I catch the regional road in direction to Eremancia town, where the bus will stop a couple of times, but again, the most important stop is, of course, the transit hub, also only used for HSR. This city is new and planned for tourism, because the future International Airport of Southern Island, will be located in Vila Alta, linked to Eremancia by High-Speed Rail.

eremancia.png

And so I leave again in direction to North but catch the Highway in direction to Farada Sul (Actually this is the last road intersection before the end of the Highway A21 which goes from A2 linking Gironda city to the South of the Archipelago to the town of South Farada, intersecting with A10 in the middle.

a21.png

After I enter in South Farada I catch the Central Skyway, and after I leave it, I stop just a couple of times, before reaching North Farada. crossing the borderline using the National Road 101, also called the Marginal (Seaside Road). For some reason the bus kept crashing in the game, so I just took a couple of aerial shots... If you have any doubts abouth which road is which just ask... And by the way, the town stadium is based on a real life stadium of my country, Estádio da Pedreira of SC Braga (even though I support Benfica, I love the stadium)

faradasul13mai021279380.png

faradasul13mai021279380u.png

After a few blocks and stops, I reach another reference point, the North Farada Footby Stadium (used for the popular sport of footby, which started to be an attempted fusion of football (soccer) and rugby but became a game with no rules and much violence and so, a popular sport which intermunicipal tournament, played every year, is as popular as FIFA World Cup.) The stadium was built to the organization of this year's IM Tournament, co-hosted with South Farada (Pedreira Stadium), and will host the opening and the final! (I know it is an Am Football stadium just let me fantasize xD)

estadiofarada.png

Finally I stop at the North Farada Train Station. Like all the others in the South-West, it was designed by a team of swiss architects, and so it looks like it is swiss itself

estacaofarada.png

After this brief stop, I catch the seaside road again in direction to north, reaching the council of Gradeamento.

praiacentralgradeamento.png

After a couple of stops, I make the last one before reaching the council of Santos. This is the Gradeamento Royal Palace (actually, there was never a king, but the house belongs to the president of all companies in Gradeamento, who is venerated by the employees... never really understood that as he sometimes act like a dictator, but the fact is that his palace is a huge momunent based on Schloss Newschwanstein)

palaciogradeamento.png

I finally reach the Santos council, briefly stopping in the station of Santos Northern Village, known because of the transfers from Trevo commuter line to South Island HSR.

santosnorte.png

After 5 minutes of travelling by the regional road, I cross the border to the council of Trevo, and finally stop at the Trevo Stadium Bus Station (close to the border)

estadiotrevo.png

Finally, I reach known land, and I guess I'll stay here by now... In about 1 hour, the qualification game for the footby intermunicipal tournament between Trevo and Cidade do Sol (where I live) will start! I'll watch the game in the stadium and I seriously hope we finally get our second IM title this year! So as I prepare for a mess of blood and goals in the stadium, I leave you for now! Talk to you soon!

AND93

Bad Day

Sorry I've been so much time without doing any updates but I've been really occupied...

Today, my boss called me at 6 am to warn me my first career would start in 30 minutes. It starts at the Cinzas Ferry Port, located at Vila do Porto (Portville), Cinzas. Good thing I live at 20 minutes from the place, but my boss is really demanding and has no respect for the employees. Anyway my carreer for today is 77 (Cinzas Ferry Port - Gironda (São Lazaro Main Station) ) and I'll drive by the "Eastern Suburbs" as they're know in Gironda. The Eastern Suburbs are composed by the agricultural towns in the councils of Jordeira and Cinzas, the luxury town of Vila das Marés (aka Port Cymru, due to the large number of Welsh rich commuters to Gironda that use specially the ferry to reach they're destiny) and the Brenhas do Cardo Industrial and cheap Residential council. And so I leave from the Cinzas Ferry Port at 6:32, just two minutes late. Notice the traffic in the Gironda-directioned terminal due to the large amount of commuters that prefer to use the Ferry to catch the Highway in the morning.

viladoportoporto.png

After some stops at the Vila do Porto neighborhood, I catch the Highway named "Nó Rodoviário da Jordeira" (which means Jordeira Road Junction, as it is used to connect the southern and the eastern Highways) in direction to the Eastern Highway.

viladoportoautoestrada.png

After a few traffic in the highway entrances, I finally leave the council in direction to Jordeira (skipping the usual bus stops at Vila das Marés, as this is a long-distance bus who is driven mostly on highway). You can notice a few traffic.

nrj.png

As I enter in Jordeira , I leave the highway for national road 95, in which I will stop a few times, in places like the Jordeira Downtown, before reaching the Brenhas do Cardo council. Here a picture of the bus leaving the Highway

nrjjordeira.png

I keep driving by the National Road 95 and stop a few times at the Jordeira downtown. This downtown is pretty old, and even though it is clearly experiencing a complete renewal, it has a lot of history. For example, this was the first Catalonian settlement after the country's foundation, and more recently, as catalonians leave the zone for more central, or just more calm areas in the Gironda Metropolitan Area, Jordeira's Downtown became known as Little Lomé, as 75% of the current inhabitants of the zone are Togolese.

jordeiraen.png

After a few stops, I reach the rural area and cross the border to Brenhas do Cardo. I make a few stops in the Hope neighborhood, before entering in the Highway. I must tell you, in just 8 minutes in that neighborhood, I saw 5 robberies and there have been about 10 attempts of busjacking against me... Anyway, here is the picture of my bus accessing the Highway (Nó Rodoviiário da Jordeira) again in direction to the eastern Highway.

en95nrj.png

Now the bus will only stop again at the São Lazaro Station, skipping all the stops at the Cardo Island. Still there is one more sight worth to watch in Brenhas: The Mercadores Island Bridge

pontemercadorescardo.png

After a few miles, I reach the Gironda Council, in the zone of Vila da União (Unionville) which is actually an industrial park. Even though the bus doesn't stop in here, the pollution in the zone is worth a picture. (even though clearly not at it's daily height)

vilauniao.png

Finally, the Highway merges with the Arnadeiro Highway, in direction to Gironda, and I catch the "July 18th Bridge" (named after the revolution day, in which the oppressive leader that took the power by force in 1979, was thrown out of the government by a revolution conducted by industrial workers in 1985, right on this island, since then, we have been living in pure democracy). You can notice the pollution in the water beneath the bridge.

ponte18julho.png

After just a few yards, I leave the East-West Highway in the second exit, catching the São Lazaro Road. And finally I stop at the São Lazaro Main Station, which is actually a great transit hub, and where about 65 bus careers make it's final stop.

saolazaro.png

And so I leave you again but just for a few days. I hope you enjoy the post!

AND93

Culture Day

Today I'm not going to show you any bus career that I've made lately, but instead I will talk to you about the culture of my country.

The Girondese Republic was created on a small archipelago in the Mediterranean sea in 1961 by some portuguese idealists who thaught the democracy in Portugal was weak and the politicians were a bunch of liars. Still, even though we can vote now, I keep thinking the politicians are a bunch of liars. After 1974, with the Carnation Revolution in Portugal, we were officially recognized as an independent Republic, and became Portuguese allies. In 1976 the treaty of Povoa, signed in Povoa do Varzim (near Porto), made official that all of the national sports teams would be federated in Portugal. This treaty was only break in 2007 with the foundation of the 1st and 2nd national leagues of soccer and with the project to create the Gironda National Football Team (which started in the other day with a large win for 3-0 against Greece).

Now I'm going to present you the official data from our country:

Name: Girondese Republic (Republica Girondina)

Capital: Gironda City (Cidade da Gironda)

Currency: Escudo Girondino (based on the Portuguese escudo)

Official languages: Portuguese, Galician, French

Recognized languages: West-Girondese Dialect, Welsh, Spanish, Mirandese

Ethnic Groups: Portuguese (52%), Welsh (25%), Spanish (13%), Galician (7%, included in the Spanish 13%), Togolese (8%), other (2%).

Population: About 2,200,000

Largest Cities: Gironda City (127,000), Trevo (99,000), Povoa de São Gilberto (93,000) and Vinhas (80,000)

Flag:

girondinos.png

By the way, I haven't explained before but since 1985 we have recieved lots of Welshmen due to unemployment in their lands, and large offer in our country. Togolese immigration has also had large expression in the last 10 years, and of course, spanish immigrants came at the same time that Portuguese settlers. I was already born in here, but my paternal grandparents were portuguese who immigrated from Viseu to Vila Nova dos Nabos, and my mother immigrated herself from Vigo, Galicia.

I hope you enjoyed this kind of lesson about Girondese History and Geography and any questions you still may have, ask them in the form of comment and I'll answer you!

AND93

Calm Day

Today, my boss called me in the morning to warn me that I'm driving career 808 (Lagoa Stadium - Rugrados Stadium, via Nabos).

This means that I will drive most of the way by regional road, but in the calm zone of the country, the west side. This is composed mostly by old towns near Gironda who have they're very own soul. In the last years middle and upper-class residents of the Gironda Metropolitan Area have chose to leave the big cities and come to live in the towns where I'm going to drive the bus, as the construction of the highways in Rugrados and Lagoa, close to the other towns have contributed to the decrease of commuting time to Gironda which is now about 45 minutes.

And now, I leave from the Lagoa Stadium Bus Depot (sorry for the lack of texture on the floor... I just didn't have the patience yet...)

estadiolagoa.png

Now, I catch the A9 (Northern Highway) in direction to Malperro. I cross the Saint Lucas Bridge across the "Lagoa do Norte". The view from here is beautiful, and more than anything, absolutely no traffic!

pontelagoa.png

And now I cross the council border to Malperro with absolutely no cars on the road, and about 25 passengers... And it is the morning Rush Hour in here...

fronteiraa9.png

After crossing the border, I leave the Highway for the regional road and I stop a few times on the farms and then I reach the small-density town of Malperro

malperro.png

I drive by the regional road and I stop in the only high-density neighborhood in the northwest of the country called Algas do Norte (which means Northern Algae, due to the species that used to live in the city's beaches). It isn't a nice neighborhood but it is pretty cheap and has good public transportation.

bairromalomalperro.png

I use the way that will drive me to the marginal road. that covers all of the western towns. As I drive by the ferry station, I leave almost every commuter behind, and I get for the first time a full bus for the huge number of commuters that left the ferry in this station... And in this minute that I'm stopped, I must say, I'd love to live here...

pfmalperro.png

I cross the border to Caminhos Santos using the marginal road, which I never leave while in this town, and the biggest stop I make is at the ferry stations, also located at the marginal road.

pfcs.png

And so, I cross the border to Vila Nova dos Nabos. My first stop is at the Eça de Queiroz High School, which my dad used to attend during his teen years, as that side of my family came from here.

liceunabos.png

I catch the aerodrome street and stop at the aerodrome itself... It was first created to fight unemployment but it has brought nothing but trouble to the town so far... About half the bus commuters leave here anyway, as it didn't fail the objective to create jobs.

aerodromonabos.png

I make some stops and finally I stop in the train station of Vila Nova dos Nabos, where the train had just left and so, I got a huge number of commuters to catch there. I remember this station from my childhood vacation as I came by train to the family house.

estaaodosnabos.png

I cross another border, this time to Adega dos Trancos. I leave the marginal and I stop in some streets and alleys, including the Adega High School alley, known for it's very unique franchise restaurant in the west district... Micky-D's! (which opened about 15 years ago... curious fact: about the same time, heart doctors started to get rich...) 

ruadoliceuadega.png

After some stops, I park the bus for about 4 minutes as designed in the course of career 808, in the Adega dos Trancos train station. Most of the people that enter now are Gironda residents that work in this area... You can notice by the expensive suits and typical city attitude that I myself have.

estaaodaadega.png

I cross the border and stop just a few times at the Vista dos Corvos town. I finally reach the main stop of the city with almost no people on the bus. This stop is the Vista dos Corvos train station, where I stop in the street roundabout known as Rotunda da Estação (Station Roundabout). You can watch the trains leaving and stopping at this station.

estaaovista.png

Finally I catch the stadium road, and I make my last stop at the Rugrados Stadium. A few people leave as there were only 17 at the bus... Most of them are tourists and I recognize one of them with a shirt of Arsenal, a possible adversary to Rugrados Farmers in the Uefa E.L. preliminatory. And so I leave you, as usual with a picture of the last stop.

estadiorugradosbus.png

Now, I'm going to wait in here for a friend to give me a ride... Today our national team is going to make it's first official match at the Trevo Stadium, and it is going to play against Greece (as Portugal is considered an ally, where our players used to be federated, they're victory in Euro 2004, isn't still forgiven)

Speak to you soon and I'm gonna tell you all about the game!

AND93

Special Day

Today I have 2 careers to operate. First I'll do the short-distance 55 (Monte São Gilberto Train Station - Gironda International Airport), and then the long-distance 707 (Gironda International Airport - Cadencia, via Gironda Towers). This happens because I asked to do these careers so I do not have to drive my own car to the Cadenca neighborhood where my little brother is getting married today in 1:30h at the Cadenca Church.

And so at 10:30 am I leave from the train station in direction to the Main Avenue

estaodomonte.png

After a couple of stops I reach the avenue that has just a few stops, but enough to get the bus filled up (and I remember this is a low/medium density zone)

avenidadomonte.png

Finally I catch the José Régio Road that conducts me to the bad high-density neighborhood of Oliva Brava. As I arrive there, I hide everything valuable in my tuxedo... Notice the big large buildings and the bad quality of the architecture

olivabravab.png

After driving all this neighborhood I catch the Airport Regional Road which is usually a traffic nightmare due to it's old and antiquated infrastructure but at this time of the day it is kinda empty... and when I say this, I mean really empty

ersg.png

After crossing the line I drive for a while in the heart of Povoa de São Gilberto stopping in my old high school... I don't know why but I really like this area.

coraodapovoab.png

And finally I complete the career 55 arriving at the Gironda International Airport at 11:00 am (right on time). This is a huge transit hub because of the metro and the parking lot and I am expecting a full bus as I leave with all the seats taken (below a picture of the G.I.A. Transit Hub)

aerometro.png

After stopping again a couple of times in Downtown Povoa, I envy the metro driver in front of me for how fast he reaches his destiny, and finally I catch the São Gilberto Freeway (In the picture Downtown Povoa and the beautiful green metro train typical from Gironda... and Paris, but mostly, Gironda)

coraao2.png

Finally, after watching the council in which I spent my teen years, I leave for Gironda, crossing the border in the São Gilberto Freeway just with a bit of traffic. 

vrsgr.png

After crossing the border I stop one time in the VRSG (São Gilberto Freeway) Transit Hub and after that, I make all the way by Highway until the Gironda Towers, the next place where I will stop (In the pictures, VRSG Transit Hub and Gironda City Center Highway Cloverleaf, where I change from North to West)

vrne.png

trevogironda.png

Finally we reach the Gironda towers at 11:25 am. This is the place where most people enter and leave. It is in here where most of the Gironda Metropolitan Area inhabitants work, as it is close both to the old avenues, and the modern highways. The traffic is intense there but this picture is only on Calçada da Lagoa which is at this time a traffic paradise in the area (and at rush time, a nightmare for Vinhas and Lagoa Region commuters). As you can see in this zone the buildings are really tall and very dense.

torresg.png

After crossing the council border, I enter in Vinhas to stop at the Valdemagos Metro Station. This is the most used metro station, even more used than the transition station of Calçada da Lagoa, with about 15000 commuters a day. Still it has the problem that no other station in all the metropolitan service has so much pickpocketing as Valdemagos, but I guess it is only natural that it happens in a station like this. And now the bus is filled up again as I leave the station

valdemagos.png

And so, after this stop I drive north to catch the CREG (Gironda City Outer Highway) and cross the border to Saleiros, where the bus will stop two times at the neighborhood of Cadenca.

creg2.png

Finally, after a brief stop in a small street of Cadenca, I reach the last stop of the career, and lie down to relax as I leave duty in the station of Cadenca (a colleague of mine will do the opposite direction, replacing me).

cadenca.png

Now, it is time to party in this special day, my own family is about to arrive and I am really happy for my brother. Talk to you later!

(BTW, I changed bus models at least twice and I only noticed it now :S... anyway I apologize and I expect you like the update)

AND93

Lucky Day

Today is a lucky day for me. Not lucky like my birthday, but I got to do the career 241 (East Sun Island (Ilha do Sol) Ferry Station - Povoa dos Bravos Bus Station, via Castelos, Gironda City and Vinhas), and this career starts right across the street from my house...

And so I leave from the first stop at 11:30 am (this means the bus will be always full as some people enter at 12 pm in Gironda, and some leave their jobs for lunch at that same time). Here is a picture of the Left Bank of Sun City where the bus runs across the main avenue from the ferry station to the north border, passing by the Highway Intersection. (P.S. I live in one of the lousy low-budget buildings in front of the ferry station)

cidadedosol19ago0812776.png

Before I cross the council border I can't miss the fact that the bus is actually getting really full, all the seats are taken and some people are tight in the middle section.

After crossing the border to Castelos, I drive by the east of the Circular Avenue and I can tell you that, even with all the ghetto-like buildings crossed with low-budget houses (and sometimes good houses in a bad place...) the view of the lake from here is actually beautiful

Then I cross the border line in this avenue in direction to the Gironda Council. But for now, a view from the east Circular Avenue and the Lake

castelos25set0912776816.png

After crossing the city border I must notice that the bus is really filled up, like 300 people in a bus for 100, and I can tell you it looks like rush hour... Except for the fact, it isn't!

So now, after passing by the social action neighborhoods for the poor in the south of Gironda council, I enter in the highway, most specifically in the bridge that links Ilha do Sol (Sun Island) where I came from and Gironda Main Island. This bridge is called Marquês de Pombal Bridge and it is the worst nightmare for 300,000 "Sunny" commuters that cross it everyday.

gironda19jul76127768221.png

After running by some zones in development in Girondese downtown, I drive by the Gironda Towers and everytime I stop, in about 15 seconds the bus seems to get empty, and then filled up again. After this I drive to North to the Calçada da Lagoa (another nightmare, but this one to commuters from Vinhas and the Lagoa Region). In this image, you can see the Calçada, but it is mostly blocked by the towers...

gironda28jul76127768225.png

And so after crossing the border line to Vinhas, I continue going by the Calçada da Lagoa and I stop just a few times, with more attendance in the stations of Calçada da Lagoa and Valdemagos that have a metro interface. In the next two pictures the West Vinhas Neighborhood with the metro in avenue stations and the Arcada neighborhood with the borderline to Povoa dos Bravos.

vinhas16dez131277684383.pngvinhas20dez131277684399.png

Finally I arrive in the Povoa dos Bravos council, and just with few commuters I make the final stop at the Central Bus Station. This career was huge and so I'm actually relieved to stop... because in 15 minutes I'll do it all over again in the opposite direction! Well anyway, I leave you with the picture of Povoa dos Bravos C.B.S. and it's (still) undeveloped area

povoadosbravos31dez0112.png

See you soon!

AND93

Match Day

rugrados3abr04127763978.png

This is the Rugrados Stadium, where the bus career 44 (Rugrados Stadium - Derrial Metro Station via Casca d'Ovo) begins. That is my job for today, and the first that you'll see.

Well today is not quite a regular day, the Gironda Football National League ends today and for the first time it'll have 3 teams in European competitions (1 the CL preliminatories and 2 in the EL preliminatories). Actually as only 5 of the 16 teams in the league are professional, this is a pretty easy job.

Back to what I was saying, today might be the best day ever for Futebol Clube Agricultores de Rugrados (Rugrados Farmers F.C.) as they never reached the european competitions. When the supporters leave the stadium, I'll know who got the third place...

And then they suddenly appear partying as they never did before. "The Western Team" had got the third place instead of Lagoa and Gironda. This is a happy day for me too, because I support São Gilberto F.C. and surely we were the champions much time before (and for the 2nd consecutive time) but our rivals, Gironda didn't enter the european competitions for the first time in 7 years.

So as the bus gets filled, I start enjoying the fans party and I leave the Stadium Road to catch the Highway.

autoestra.png

After crossing the council border, I catch the Regional Road where the bus stops a few times leaving at least a quarter of the commuters behind.

cascadovo25jun041277641.png

As I pass by the new neighborhoods I lock the windows. This is a dangerous place and a bad dormitory of Gironda City.

I catch the Calçada dos Parreiros, a large avenue that will conduct me to Derrial (it is the main avenue of the city and it the main acess to the daily commuters to Gironda, at least in Derrial)

cascadovo25jun041277641.png derrial15nov17127764146.png

After crossing the border line between the Casca d'Ovo and Derrial councils, I leave the Calçada dos Parreiros close to the Santo Emilio train station. This is the only stop before the last one and is the one where most people leave as it has the São Mateus (Rugrados) - São Gilberto do Mar (via Gironda) train stopping there.

derrial15nov17127764170.png

Finally the last stop where the happy supporters leave, the Derrial Metro station, and so I leave you and the commuters with the image of the last station of bus career 44.

derrial15nov17127764172.png

Talk to you soon!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0