First, sorry for my English cause I’m French. I’ll do my best !
Two important things :
- I’m not a specialist of creating logos and graphics and all that. I just understood how to upload pics with ImageShak. Sorry about that… As the same for English, I’ll try to do my best.
- I’m always astonished by the capacity of some “journalists” to create an entire history for there cities with pics etc… I don’t have the time to do it. Sorry about that. All I want is to share my long building experience of my euro-region, the parts that I’m proud of it and the parts I failed.
-I- My thoughts before starting
As I said earlier, Vaillante is a European capital. My goal was to do it as real as possible. When I started in 2005, I was careful to respect some rules that I fixed myself :
-1- A euro city can’t be built like a typical Sim City creation. What is very difficult about them is that we have to imagine the urban history of it B4 build anything. Cause a European City has a long story, the urban structure has to be logical. That’s a mistake I often see : the classy downtown building just near suburb houses. The zoning of what historical areas, 70’ buildings area, modern, suburbs… have to be well thought before starting.
-2- The “Disneyland” effect. What I see sometimes also is when the cities are “too European”, like a perfect peace of urbanism. I Call it the “Disneyland effect”. When u want to do it too euro, it becomes a movie set. The Europeans metropoles are a mixt of centuries and centuries of History. You can find every architecture style in it. The trick is too mixt that with realistic view. Very Hard ! Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost !
-3- Not so tall son ! The temptation is high to use those incredible skyscrapers to fill in ur cities but u have to be very vigilant. Paris, London or Berlin are not New York, Shanghaï or Honk Kong. U can find, of course, tall and glassy buildings in euro cities but they are often grouped out of downtown or if, u can’t just put a forest of it. It would ruins everything.
-II- My intentions with Vaillante.
Vaillante is a Metropole of 1.5 millions people. It’s an euro-region.
The region is originally called “Keweenaw v. 3”. It’s a huge region. I’ll probably finish it when I’m very old ! Look at what I’ve done in 5 years of work and compare it to what is still untouched. (photo remplissage)
To be realistic, I’ve decided that the city itself (without the suburbs) will fill several large squares. Each square would be call Vaillante 1st District, Vaillant 2nd District…
The region is a vey large land separate by islands and semi-islands. It’s like an end of a continent, a dead end with the ocean around. There is a large mountain in the middle of the land that cross all he map.
The orientation I’ve decided to take is a mix between Paris, Berlin and Barcelona. I’ve imagine that Vaillante is a big euro-métropole with a Mediterranean weather. It allowed me to approach my city as an administrative/cultural/business major center combined with a touristic/luxury/entertainment urban center. That is the two directions I try to put together in that region.
The region will basically will be divided like this :
- coast areas : lxury/touristic/entertainment/bitches.
- Center of city : cultural/civic/prestige/historical.
- between Center-city and suburbs : civic/middle-class/sports and activities area/campus/70’ and modern buildings.
- the Freeway that is a turn around the city.
- First suburbs : middle class/large commercial stores/sports/70’ buildings/tall residential buildings.
- Second suburbs : middle class houses/low class districts/industrial…
TO BE CONTINUED....