• Moose

Chora

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Welcome to Chora. May I have your ticket please? The train will be leaving shortly.

Entries in this City Journal

JoshuaGellock

Gaius City & CJ Conclusion

Hey everyone. As you may have guessed, this is the last entry of this CJ. I have had to prioritize some things in life and at this point, I do not have time to put into city-building (despite how much I enjoy it!). Its my hope I have encouraged you to use rail-based MT and shown how it can really add a special touch to a city.

Gaius' special touch was its Monorail system. It was a city designed specifically to show how Monorail can truly look great and really get citizens around. The tram compliments the rail, helping Sims getting from the outer parts of the city to inner city Monorail stations. The Monorail system in Gaius had more ridership than any other city I have built in Chora. Commute time was incredibly low.

The pictures posted are pre-mature, but I wanted to show the progress I've made with Gaius, and a long-awaited regional shot. Please allow a moment for the images to load. All pictures can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's web address in a new browser window.

First up is a station near the south-east industrial district.

gaiuseasternindustriald.png

Upscale apartments and shops:

gaiusmonorail.png

Power & Industrial District:

gaiusseasideindustry.png

Condos:

gaiushightowers.png

Elementary & High Schools:

gaiuscentralhighschool.png

gaiuscentralschool.png

Gaius Bank Stadium:

gaiusstadium.png

The Downtown core:

gaiusdowntowncore.png

gaiusoverview2.png

The overview:

gaiusoverview.png

And finally, here is an overview shot of Chora:

choraregion.png

I want to thank all of the readers for the comments, feedback, and ratings. :)

JoshuaGellock

Chora Train Shots - Part 2

I am currently working on showing Gaius, but for now I have some train shots I haven't shown yet. I hope you enjoy this simple update. 

Please allow a moment for the images to load. All pictures can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's web address in a new browser window.

On to the pictures...

Since I mentioned it first, here is a shot of the Monorail passing by the central hospital.

gaiuscentralhospital.png

A packed A+ train passes by Thessalonica Memorial Hospital.

antiochtraintrips.png

Here is close-up of the Shiloh Union Roundhouse and train yard. 

shilohrailyard3.png

A tram passes through a neighborhood in Iconium.

iconiumtramtransit3.jpg

That's all for now...

As always, thank you very much for spending some time checking out Chora. Your feedback and comments are welcomed! Don't forget torate this CJ if you haven't already. 

JoshuaGellock

Shiloh City - Part 2

Shiloh City - Part 2

Welcome back! As I mentioned a few entries back, I have several updates surrounding Shiloh and this is continuing the trend. This entry shows different views of Shiloh, and the long awaited overhead shot.

Please allow a moment for the images to load. All pictures can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's web address in a new browser window.

We'll start back in a familiar area: Downtown. The downtown area of Shiloh is an interesting mix: The University, the Condos, the Offices, the Trams and the Shops. The transit network makes the downtown area very accessible from almost anywhere in the city. Even residents of West Shiloh can arrive in the city core (blocks from Downtown) within 30-40 minutes. 

shilohdowntowncloseup.png

At the west end of the city is the Small Business District. Over the years it has developed to its current state, and in the past few years has become more family-friendly, adding a skate park and parking is shared by shoppers and commuters.

shilohsmallbusiness2.png

The tram line running from the S.B.D. continues through the core of the city (pictured below). The highway empties out to the Ave, which runs through the heart of the city all the way over to Shiloh Seaport. With trams and trains running parallel, it can get pretty busy in the city's center.

shilohhustleandbustle.png

Here is a night shot of the west end of the city.

shilohcityoverview2.png

Moving around in the city a little bit, I wanted to show a picture of the Riverside Condos. These buildings are typically occupied by those who work on Abraham Ave (the Avenue pictures above with the tall offices). It is an ideal area of the city. The view is great, crime is low, and the modern design features all the amenities. 

shilohriversidecondos.png

And finally, the overview shot of the city.

shilohoverview.png

Thanks again for stopping by to check out Chora. Your comments, feedback, and ratings are appreciated!!!

JoshuaGellock

Shiloh City

Shiloh City

Welcome back to Chora, and welcome to Shiloh. Shiloh is a known throughout Southern Chora for its unmatched shipping facilities, towering downtown, and sports parks. This blue collar city has excellent manufacturing jobs and is home to several high tech industries also. The people get around via Shiloh Rail, the S-Tram System, and SBS (Shiloh Bus System). The city is also home to Shiloh International Airport. 

I hope you all enjoy the images. Please allow a moment for the images to load. All pictures can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's web address in a new browser window.

We'll start it off with some quick shots. Box 1 shows how serious Shiloh takes freight. The city is a hub for rail freight and during the week, you can catch light train maintenance taking place in the industrial district. Box 2 shows some of Shiloh's upscale condos. These condos are alongside Elijah's river and offer a beautiful view of the Rogue Mountains just south of the city. Box 3 shows Brite Stadium. Brite, a company who specializes in light-bulb manufacturing, has its headquarters in downtown. 
portrait2.png

Here is an expanded shot of the above rail yard. 

shilohrailyard2.png

Here is a shot of some of Brite's warehouses and design facilities.

shilohcleanindustry.png

In box 1, you can see Brite's headquarters and the beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean. Box 2 shows the rail maintenance building. This building services diesel engines, and various cars as well. Box 3 shows Shiloh University's main building. Other buildings in downtown serve as buildings for the University, but a majority of classes are held in this building.
portrait1.png

And here is Shiloh's beautiful downtown:

downtownwaterfront.png

Here is a close-up of a different area of downtown bordering the downtown tram loop. Shiloh Bible Church and a police substation are pictured here.

shilohchurch.png

At the other end of the city, you can grab some popcorn and catch a game at Fishers' Park. This is a family park, and enjoyed by all ages. The park owes some of its success to its location as well (its along the city tram loop).

shilohfield.png

And finally, Shiloh in the making...

56248285.jpg

Thanks again for stopping by to check out Chora. Your comments, feedback, and ratings are appreciated!!!
JoshuaGellock

Gaius Preview

Hey everyone. 

I hope to have an entry of Shiloh later this week (maybe even tonight). For now, here is a preview of the city of Gaius while it was in the making... More about the city, and more pictures, soon to come!

gaius.png

Thanks for stopping by!

JoshuaGellock
S-Tram City Photos

Welcome back! It's been a little while since the last update, so I apologize about the delay. 

Today's update is simple: I'll be showing some shots of the S-Tram system. S-Tram is Shiloh's city-wide tram system. The system was originally individual lines branching out from the city's core. Today, the system is comprised of two loops: the city loop, and the downtown loop. There is also a spur line that runs parallel to the highway.

I hope you all enjoy the images. All pictures can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's web address in a new browser window.

Here is a shot of the spur line. This section of the system was completed in the late 1950s. 

shilohtramnetwork3.png

This station was recently renovated (1995). The city wanted to encourage more riders in this specific neighborhood. Where's the tram? The city's project is still in progress. 

shilohtramnetwork2.png

This is where the loop and the spur line split. Seen here, the tram is departing from a local station (about 60 passengers on-board). 

shilohtramnetwork1.png

Here is a shot of the night tram passing through downtown by Shiloh University. The high-rises by the ave serve as dorms and there is plenty of room to park-and-ride. 

shilohtramnetwork4.png

I'll be sharing more pictures of Shiloh next time.

JoshuaGellock

Regional View of Shiloh

Here is a regional view of Shiloh. In the next couple of entries, I'll be showing the city, its landmarks, and the incredible tram system. 

This image can be viewed in its full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window.

upperrightregion.png

That's all for now. As always, thank you for stopping by to see Chora. Your comments, feedback, and ratings are appreciated!

JoshuaGellock

West Shiloh

West Shiloh

West Shiloh is a suburb of Shiloh City. The area was once a vast section of farmland spanning from Shiloh to Antioch. Development began about 25 years ago. Many of the residents are sons and daughters of the farmers who made West Shiloh the beautiful place it is today---a small, middle class suburb where residents take great pride in the clean parks, streets, and modern commuter rail.

The hills of West Shiloh are the glory of the land. Local mountain bikers, through government grants, have been able to establish a country-known trail system.

westshilohhills.png

At the base of one of the hills is the Central Chora Power Station. This facility provides service to the entire community of West Shiloh.

westshilohpowerstation.png

Here is a shot of some of the town homes. West Shiloh has mostly new construction since it has only been developed in the past quarter century.

westshilohsuburbs.jpg

The highway and commuter rail cross Elijah's river. There are a few commuter stations in the suburb.

westshilohcommuterrail.png 

westshilohcommuterrail2.png

This is the main commuter hub. Mid-week can get pretty busy. Residents commuting into the city can grab a quick bite at the shops next to the parking.

westshilohcommuterstati.png

I wanted to make West Shiloh's entry simple and let the pictures speak for themselves. Shiloh City will be posted next week. 

On a final note, South Antioch's redevelopment continues... The city has successfully moved many residents to the newly constructed homes north of Antioch (near the farmland separating Antioch and Iconium). The highway near Antioch International Airport was expanded into the southern part of the city, and new rail has been laid to the seaport. GIANT freight footed the bill for the track. Questions surround GIANT's and government officials suspect the generosity as a passive push to containerize the docks. Time will tell. Here is a picture as it stands:

southantiochrehome.png

As always, thank you so much for checking out Chora. Your feedback, comments, and ratings are appreciated!

JoshuaGellock

The City of Antioch

Welcome back. In contrast to the last update of close-ups, most of today's shots are zoomed out, showing different areas of Antioch. 

Let's get right into the pictures...

The pictures shown here can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window.

Here is a night shot of the A-train administrative building. The station is quiet past 7 PM as the last train arrives around 6:35, daily. A+, Antioch's elevated rail however, operates 24/7 and has passengers at all hours.

antiochcentralstation.png

Another night shot---this time of Chora Steel Stadium. Named due to its sponsorship, visitors can take a tour through the history of Chora Steel and the teams that call the stadium, "home." The stadium is conveniently located next to the A-train main station, and across the Avenue from one of downtown's A+ stations.

antiocharena.png

Here is a shot of the downtown core:

downtownantioch.png

More past 9:

downtownantioch3.png

Some beautiful colors can be seen from the A+ train:

downtownantioch4.png

And as usual, a zoomed out shot:

downtownoverview.png

The northwest corner of the city:

northwestantioch.png

And finally, a shot of South Antioch. This is where you can to join in and help me re-develop this area. The seaport is located in the south side of the city but overall, it serves mainly as a suburb. The city is continuing to grow and is looking south to develop up. What do you think should happen in the re-development of the south side? Take a look and let me know what you would do!

boringsouthantioch.png

As always, thanks for stopping by Chora. Your feedback, comments, and ratings are appreciated!
JoshuaGellock

Antioch Close-ups

Today's update is all about Antioch, a city I have wanted to show for some time. 

Antioch, a manufacturing city---or at least it was through the years, Chora Steel, Benjamin & Sons Brewing, GIANT Freight, and even C.S. Glass have all called Antioch, "home." Some still do! These companies are strong stories of Antioch's 158 year history.

Today, Antioch is an eclectic city and home to a variety of industries and commercial businesses. Its vintage-modern appearance is something the city takes great pride in. While some cities in Chora have moved on to a contemporary design, Antioch has put great effort into preserving the history and glory of its unique look. Today's update features some of the restoration projects through the years and other sites to check out, circa 1985. I hope you enjoy. 

The pictures shown here can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window.

Here is a shot of Antioch during its planning.  

antiochlayout.png

The city's core is surrounded by elevated and ground rail. These elegant stations are found throughout Antioch. Next to the the station is the Corinthian Ave Library. Across the street are the Spring Garden Lofts.

antiochel1.jpg

While Shiloh is South Chora's largest port, Antioch's port still sends freight via the local docks. While these shipments are light and infrequent, the docks have become a landmark of the city. They were revitalized in the historical restoration projects of the 70s and today, mainly serve as a seafood hub and small shipment facility.

southantiochseaport.jpg

This old station now serves as the A-train (ground rail) administration building. The first floor still serves as a rail station while the upper floors serve as offices and other multi-purpose rooms, coordinating the city's ground rail. 

antiochdowntownstation.jpg

One Truth Church opened its small doors in 1931 during the great depression. Families would gather in prayer and share meals during the early days of the church. Today it is a large congregation with 5,000 members, of whom many serve in the community and Antioch Historical Clinic. The facility was upgraded during the 1950s and during the summer months, the plaza is used for outdoor services. 

onetruthchurchdowntowna.jpg

Antioch Historical Clinic was also a restoration project of the 70s. It is a free clinic, offering services to all. The basement serves as a soup kitchen, except on Sundays. Some Christians from OTC help homeless men and women get back on their feet through their own time and efforts.

historichospital.png

The last picture is of GIANT freight's rail yard. GIANT was a small business, started in 1943. It was a father and sons venture and the business has remained in the family. Named after the 5 foot father's nickname, the business started as a labor pool for the rail yards. Smart management (and lots of talks with the bank) helped GIANT take ownership of the lower part of the yard in 1955.

antiochrailyard.png

As always, thanks for checking out Chora. Your comments, feedback, and ratings are appreciated!
JoshuaGellock

I had some unreleased pictures of uptown Iconium that I thought I would show before posting up Antioch next week. If you've been following this CJ, you know that Iconium was once a suburb north of Antioch. If you want to know more about these two cities, rewind through the CJ. :) On to some pictures...

Here is a shot of Iconium Central Hospital. In addition to the hospital, Iconium Health Network also manages several small clinics throughout the city.

iconiumcentralhospital.png

Here are some tram stations (red line) near Elijah Memorial Ballpark. Lots of folks in the southern parts of the city take the tram to watch the games. While not the first mayor of Iconium, Elijah Jackson was the mayor who was instrumental in establishing One Truth Bible College in Iconium.

iconiumballpark.png

Opposite of the tram, the other side of the ballpark is where Iconium's Northern Station can be found. The station received a very contemporary update in the late 90s.

iconiumuptownstation.jpg

A shot of uptown at night:

iconiumuptowntram.png

Of course Iconium has its fair share of issues. Here some guys who in trying to run the tram crossing, got stuck. Anyone who's been stopped in the city knows that when the red and blue are flashing behind you, its embarrassing. That's these clowns in about 2 minutes when the locals show up:

iconiumtram.png

Not all of Iconium is city-life, however. These farms live close to the city limits:

iconiumfarmland.png

Hope you enjoyed the shots. Your feedback, comments, and ratings are appreciated.

JoshuaGellock

NK Transit

NK Transit

This morning I woke up to my son Elijah saying, "Hi Daddy. Don tairs. Wease." As usual I said, "Ok, Eli." When we got downstairs he said, "Choo choo wease." Assuming he wanted to do what we did last night: watch freight trains on YouTube. The smiles on his face are great when he watches them go by for 2-3 minutes. So today's update is more trains---not to say you'll get as excited as Elijah does, but I hope you enjoy. 

NKTransit is North Keilah's elevated rail system. The first system was built in the 1920s. It was a small tram system around the city's center. There were plans to extend the service to other areas of the city, but funds were depleted before the project was completed. The union refused to complete the job at a lower rate so the city was left with the supplies and materials, but no workers to complete the system. Thus in 1921, the materials were donated to Iconium, a small growing community in the western part of South Chora. It wasn't a total loss however. Through the years, the city learned how to work with the local unions to prevent problems like what happened in the 20s with the NK tram. 

In the 50s, the tram was slowly converted to an elevated system with new lines running in the city center and to the industrial district. In the 70s and 80s, the city approved an expansion plan to the central neighborhoods of North Keilah-thus the Green and Orange line expansion project began. Completed in 1975, the Green and Orange lines serviced the neighborhoods of North Keilah. In the 1980, the orange line was re-laid and the old line decommissioned. The new orange line paralleled with the Green through North Keilah's neighborhoods. The last renovation took place in 1984 when the the lines were re-designed to the loop system. The loop helped to relieve the traffic on the railways.

All pictures are uploaded in the PNG format---please allow a moment while they load. Also, you can see them in full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window. On to some pictures....

To get around on NKT, you'll need two items: money and a map. The map I can help with, the other, well...
nktransitfinal.png

Here is a shot of the old orange line (running next to Solid Rock Community Church) before it was decommissioned:

nktransit1.jpg

The new orange line coming out of the downtown loop:

nktransit4.png

Passing by the Main Police Station and CTC:

northkeilaheldowntown.jpg

The Green line brings thousands into downtown each day. This train approaches the a CTC cell tower while headed towards the next station:

nktransit6.png

Coming around the loop @ night:

nktransit7.png

Trains to the industrial district run 24/7:

lowerright.png

The Orange line ends near New life in Christ Church (lots of folks take the train for Wednesday night Bible Study):
nktransit5.png

I hope you enjoyed the update. I hope to upload some shots from Antioch tomorrow. 

Your comments, feedback, and ratings are appreciated. Thanks!

JoshuaGellock

Chora Train Shots

Thanks for stopping by. As a child I enjoyed watching my grandfather's O-scale model trains and even listening with him to old records of work on the railroad and train sounds--its something that has stayed with me through the years, even now after growing up. So much so, some times I stay awake to hear the freight engines pass through the city. When I decided to make Chora, it was natural that I leverage rail as part of the story. Today's update is to show some rail pictures that have taken from around the region. I hope you enjoy.

All pictures can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window. 

To start things off, I've put together a train collage:

compilation.png

Feel free to take some guesses as to where you think the train pictures are from. If you have been following this journal, you might know some of the cities. :)

On to some other pictures...

Here is Keilah's Central GRS station (with Rapid Transit transfer). The central station serves as a center city hub for both the GRS, Rapid Transit, and bus service (note the elevated bus station). Thousands of people pass through this area of the city each day. 

keilahcentralstation.png

keilahcentralstation4.png

K&NK GRS (Ground Rail System) loop with North Keilah's elevated rail system over top (NK Transit). And don't worry, that car accident by the bus station isn't as bad as it looks. All the more reason to take the train. 

lowerright.png

Dubbed the "A-Train", Antioch's ground rail system is the largest out of all of South Chora's cities. Rail services come down from North Chora, Iconium, and even Shiloh. The system helps citizens get around Chora, but also provides many jobs for the people. Here is a shot of the east side of the city along Elijah's River:

rightmiddle.png

As always, your feedback and comments are welcomed and appreciated. Votes are helpful too!
JoshuaGellock

Keilah's Downtown Core

This update is a tour through Keilah's downtown core. The pictures may take some time to load, so hang in there. Also, all pictures can be viewed in their full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window. First up, replies and then the update.

Replies

Guibanez_ - Thank you!

DCMetro34 - Thank you for the rating and comment! I hope you were able to pick up the station.

thefunktopus - Wow. I'm glad to see you have grown so fond of GLR. I think GLR and Elevated Rail work very well on the inner city and Rail can connect cities together beautifully. You should start a CJ so we can see your progress. :)

Retep - I'm humbled to have such a comment come from you. Your transit networks are incredible, so I didn't expect to see such a compliment. Thank you.

DrumMaster - I get all kinds of inspiration from the Bible - Patmos is the island where John received his inspiration to write the book of Revelation. And Keilah I'll explain in a moment. Thanks again for your positive feedback. I look forward to seeing your Patmos CJ. Have fun in Italy!

Keilah is the first city I started out with in Chora. It is my first attempt at creating a city that could be used in a City Journal. The name is inspired by my oldest daughter, although her name doesn't have the H on the end. The biblical book of Genesis has a city named Keilah in it (which is where my wife got the name) and so I thought I would put the H back on being that its a city. :) 

Like North Keilah, the pictures from today are also from the late 90s and early 2000s, with some added historical tidbits. As I have mentioned, the city really took off in the 70s and 80s when the electronics manufacturing business took off. 

Here are some shots of downtown as the city was growing:

keilahmorningconstructi.png

downtownconstruction.png

One thing that has not changed is the devout culture of the people. The major religion of Chora is Christianity, but there are other faiths. The Christian churches are primarily non-denominational. Here is a shot of one of those churches, Keilah Christian Center (recently renovated in 1996):

keilahchristianchurch.png

Here is a shot of the downtown station where the GRS and the Keilah Rapid Transit (Elevated Rail) meet. 

keilahcentralstationver.png

Across from the station is the CTC Convention Center. Many Telecommunication / Technology events take place here:

keilahconventioncenter.png

From a different angle:

keilahconventioncenter2.png

The Oceanside Medical Research Facility is where Keilah's seaport once was. The seaport was completely shut down in 1981. The land served no purpose for a while but after a proposed plan was approved, the current facility was built. Construction was completed in 1986 and Rapid Transit service was extended to the facility in early 1990s. 

medicalresearch.png

medicalresearchelservic.png

And here is an overview shot of downtown. If you look closely, you can see the Plaza. Actually a collection of plazas, the Plaza is a strip of plazas between the buildings in downtown Keilah. It was originally a rail line that ran from the southwest industrial district over to the seaport. After the seaport was decommissioned, the rail was pulled up. Today, it is a clean, family-friendly place to grab a soft pretzel and enjoy a sunny day.

keilahdowntownoverview.png

Downtown @ night:

keilahdowntownoverviewn.png

As usual, here is an overview shot:

keilahdowntownzoomout.png

Thanks for stopping by. As always, your feedback is appreciated. 
JoshuaGellock

The CJ is now over 1,000 views!!! This is awesome for me, because this is my first CJ and I didn't know what was going to happen. The feedback has been positive so far and I'm really thankful for everyone's interest.

I'll tackle some replies and then we'll go on to the update. 

Replies

thefunktopus - Wow. This is a very nice comment you left me with. I'm glad to see you'll be investing in RAIL in your cities. :)

sumwonyuno - Thanks for your comment! Glad you know what a CLEC is. I work in Telecom so I wanted to incorporate it somehow into the CJ.

Retep - I hope you were able to download those stations. I search high and low for rail stations. :) Its good to see someone with a similar passion for rail. 

Today's update is all about rail--ground rail specifically. As I mentioned, Keilah and North Keilah grew rapidly in the 70s when they became a hub for electronics manufacturing. However, prior to that these cities were small and depended heavily on the rail to commute between the two (there was lots of open land between them). Originally laid between 1910-1915, the system was designed not just for passenger transit, but there were also dedicated lines from the industrial sectors to Keilah's seaport. 

The stations in the pictures were updated in the early 90s to their modern design. Fast forward to the late 90s, the GRS now exists only in the heart of both cities, moving north to south in a loop architecture. Rapid Transit has replaced many of the lines. In terms of freight, North Keilah has a small freight station, but it only used for late night transit. From midnight - 3 AM, the freight traffic is opened, and passenger traffic is suspended. All in all, during the day and evening, the GRS transports some 84,000 passengers per day. It is the fastest way to get from one city to the other.

In early 2001, talks began between the cities to merge the elevated rail system and decommission the GRS. However, there are political issues preventing progress. 

Anyway... on to some pictures...

Here is the GRS map:

knkgrsmap.png

We'll work our way from the bottom up... 

Here is Keilah's Terminus Station:

keilahcentralstationver.png

The station sits across from Keilah Arena. Many technology conventions are held here. Here is a night shot:

keilahcentralterminusni.png

This is the last stop in Keilah before crossing over into North Keilah:

keilahgrs1.jpg

This is the section of the rail where it breaks towards the ocean in North Keilah. The train below is headed towards Keilah's terminus station.

northkeilahgrs2.png

A shot of the rail running near the ocean:

northkeilahgrs.png

And finally, some shots of North Keilah's main station:

northkeilahgrs4.png

northkeilahgrs3.png

(check out that guy running the red!)

I hope you guys enjoyed the update. I look forward to your comments and feedback. 

Next up: Keilah

JoshuaGellock

Welcome back. 

Replies:

Treason04, edmonton_stinks, Sc4Playar, & FearandRegret123 - Thank you all for your positive feedback. I already have an update in the works to showcase both Keilah and North Keilah transit systems. 

ROFLyoshi - Thanks for your comment. :) The last picture was a picture of this city, North Keilah. Iconium's rail system consists of tram and commuter rail service. 

On to the update...

Note: All shots are available in full resolution by simply accessing the picture's address in another browser window. 

The cities of Keilah and North Keilah are amongst the newer cities within Chora. Their late development was largely in part to their isolated position. The shots today are taken around the late 90s/early 2000s. However, it was during the 70s and 80s that these cities emerged due to the demand of electronics manufacturing. Land was available and affordable; investors rolled up their sleeves and put Keilah/North Keilah on the map. Today, these cities offer new and clean communities. With an excellent transportation system (especially for those commuting down to Keilah), and property costs still very competitive, North Keilah was drawing many large businesses to the island (the beautiful ocean and mountains help too). 

North Keilah stands out because of CTC - Chora Telecommunications Company. Originally a CLEC (yes, you will have to click it if you don't know what a CLEC is), CTC expanded its services to the city of Keila in the early 1900s after the depression. The business offered local and long distance to both Keilah and North Keilah. CTC took off because of its GSM network. First deployed in 1996, CTC's business grew dramatically as it was the only carrier in the region offering mobile phone service. 

Here is a shot of CTC's main switch facility (note the cell site in the upper left corner - those vertical white things are the radios). 

northkeilahdowntown1.jpg

The tower next to the switch is building 1 of CTC towers. They serve as the company's headquarters. 

Here is another shot zoomed out:

northkeilahdowntown2.png

This shot was taken in the mid-80s just before North Keilah's transit re-development. Today, downtown acts as a rail loop with a junction at the intersection pictured above (the loop can be seen in the overview picture further down). You can also see the North Keilah Central Police Station. This station also serves as a training facility. 

As I mentioned, commuters are offered outstanding rail service down to Keilah-the commuter line runs almost 24/7 (the lines are not active from midnight - 3 AM). The stations were upgraded in the early 90s to what they are now. Here is a shot of a commuter rail passing through the city towards Keilah.

northkeilahtraintransit.png

This is North Keilah's main station. Its located in the downtown core between the apartment complexes and the commercial district. This location gives commuters easy access to the station. For those who live near the mountains, NKTransit has a line that runs into downtown and there is an elevated rail station very close to the main commuter station.

northkeilahcentralstati.png

Here are some shots of the industrial district (note the high-tech industries):

northkeilahindustrialdi.png

northkeilahfreightstati.png

Here is an overhead shot of the city @ night:

northkeilahoverviewnigh.png

The downtown core:

northkeilahdowntowncore.png

And of course I'm going to leave you with a teaser shot of Keilah's Central Station:

keilahcentralstation.png

Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate the comments/feedback. I welcome suggestions so please let me know if you have one!

JoshuaGellock

Hi everyone.

First up, replies:

CTMandR - Thanks for the comment!

Jamonbread - Thanks for your seaport comment. It took a while to get it right.

Monay - I know the building is Japanese. I don't have the link, however. If you send me a PM I'll be happy to arrange some way of getting it to you.

patriotizzy - Thank you!!

edmonton_stinks - Thanks for your comment. Your CJ looks pretty awesome as well.

On to the update...

Iconium is one of many cities in Chora that uses rail-based mass transit. In fact, in the late 1800s/early 1900s, Chora was a rail manufacturing hub for much of the western world. Even today, most of Chora's cities are connected via rail, with many cities employing their own tram and elevated rail systems.

Iconium is one of those cities. The tram system (named I-tram) was first deployed in 1922 with services only running through center city / downtown. The tram system was in actuality, a gift from the mayor of North Keilah (due to Iconium's weak economic status at the time, and a change of transit plans for the city of North Keilah).

In the 50s (when the OTBC was established) tram service was expanded to the northern section of the city, as well as the eastern and southern neighborhoods. The population and development boom strengthened the economy and allowed not only the expansion of the service, but also an upgrade to the tram cars (they are still in-use today). 

Here is a map of the (current) system:

itramsystemmap3.png

A shot of the tram running through downtown (blue line/center city):

iconiumtramservice5.png

Another tram travelling through downtown:

iconiumtramservice6.png

A tram stops (dark yellow/east line) before heading towards the northern section of Iconium. 

iconiumtramservice4.png

A tram passing through the southern industrial district:

iconiumtramservice2.png

Where the rail and the tram meet:

iconiumtramtransit2.jpg

South and east lines meet (dark yellow):

iconiumtramservice3.png

I hope you enjoyed the tour of the i-tram system.

Here is a teaser of the next city I'll be showing, North Keilah:

northkeilaheldowntown.jpg

JoshuaGellock

Replies

F_m - Thanks for checking out the CJ. I really like the trams. My opinion is they have an old-meets-new quality to them. You can use them in old cities to give character. They can also give modern cities a nice touch. 

Retep - Coming from you, your comment meant a lot. Thanks! Antioch's EL stations are from Bri's site. Here is the link: http://www.bripizza.net/sc4/2906GSta/2906GSta.html. They are really cool looking.

This update is to show Shiloh's seaport (hey, its a small update!). Shiloh is South Chora's most northern city (yes, you read that right). Pressed against the ocean, investors saw an opportunity to take advantage of Shiloh's location. The city supported the idea and a large portion of land bordering the ocean was re-zoned for seaport development. The seaport struggled at first due to competition, but after upgrading to a containerization system shortly after it was developed in the 70s, everything changed. Shiloh seaport was cheaper and more efficient than the others in South Chora. So much so, that Keilah (a city to the south) closed its facility entirely. From the early 80s until now, it is Chora's second largest exporting facility.

Here are some shots:

Due to the volume of imports and exports, shipments are always being shifted around. Most of Shiloh's exports are delivered via rail (although some arrive by flight). Here is a picture of a train arriving to a cargo ship (shipping address was changed last minute). Had it been any later, the cargo might have been left behind. 

shilohseaportfreighttra.jpg

Here's a shot of the bus dropping off the some night-shift workers. There's not much that goes on at night (note the empty parking lots), but the seaport is a facility that operates 24/7 (except for major holidays).

shilohseasideindustry2.png

The land close to the seaport was also zoned for industrial development. However, this land came at a premium price due to its closeness to the seaport. Nonetheless, businesses couldn't resist the the opportunity and settled in right next door. Most are striving but some are challenged with the ROI.

shilohseasideindustry.png

And finally, here is a shot of Shiloh's freight yard. While there are other available modes of transit, many business that call Shiloh home use rail as their means of delivering products to the seaport.

shilohfreightyard.png

Had to add this shot of Shiloh's downtown. It's a sneak peek.

shilohteaser.png

Thank you again for checking out my CJ. Your feedback is also greatly appreciated so drop me a line. :)

JoshuaGellock

Replies:

Retep-Thanks for your comment!! Here's the entry you've been waiting for: what actually developed. :)

As I shared previously, Iconium was once a northern suburb of Antioch. The city really took off when One Truth Church (www.onetruthchurch.com - this is the name of my church) decided to build a bible college in Iconium. The decision was made largely in part because OTC (One Truth Church) had no room to expand its facility in downtown Antioch. They also wanted to reach out to other communities in Chora. And so the college was built. The college, named One Truth Bible College, became the mark of Iconium, drawing younger people to the city and most importantly, families. 

Here's a shot of the college as it stood in 1988:

iconiumbiblecollege.jpg

After planning things out, OTC felt it was best to leverage the mass transit most common in Antioch: Rail. The downtown station (in the picture) was re-built in 1979 to accommodate the growing volume of commuters. While most students live in Iconium either with family or in apartments, some Antioch residents use the rail today to attend classes. 

While the rail service was excellent for commuting to college, the city needed other means of mass transit where the rail service was not available. Tram service was integrated into the city's transit system during the early stages of the population boom. Here is a picture of a tram passing through a neighborhood during the evening commute:

iconiumtramtransit.jpg

Industry also expanded in Iconium and the city decided to create two districts decrease commute times in the growing city. The industrial districts were established in the eastern and southern sections of the city with tram service running to both. The industries were able to come together with the city to develop a schedule, allowing both freight and commuter trains to utilize the rail. Below is a picture of a freight train making its way out of the city towards North Chora: 

iconiumindustry.png

The Powers of the city enjoyed the growth (and the revenue it brought) but still wanted Iconium to remain a family-based community of homes and small businesses. Therefore, the city zoned two commercial districts to prevent large commercial growth. Below are some pictures of the small downtown from 1988 (you can see the tram running to the right):

iconiumdowntown.png

And a night shot also:

iconiumdowntown2.png

And to wrap up the overview of Iconium, here are some zoomed out night shots:

iconiumdowntownoverview.jpg

At a different angle:

iconiumdowntownoverview.jpg

I know I've mentioned Antioch and haven't shown it quite yet. Here is a teaser pic:

antiochteaser.png

As always, thank you for stopping by. Your feedback is welcomed and appreciated. :)

JoshuaGellock

Replies

DC & Retep - Thank you for your comments! I'm glad to see you like the landscape. 

On to the update...

Here are some shots of the layout of Iconium. More details to come on its history, but Iconium was originally a northern suburb of Antioch. As the suburb grew, some major changes took place that brought Iconium from growing suburb to the city it is today.

A preview of what will be downtown:

construction6.jpg

Future neighborhoods (with tram service!):

construction4o.jpg

Rail running through the southern industrial sector:

construction3.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the pics. Please comment :)

JoshuaGellock

This is my first CJ and I hope to share some pictures and stories from Chora. Chora is a fictional land east of the United States. 

Here are some shots of the region. I hope you enjoy.

Southeast Chora

choraregion.jpg

Southwest Chora

choraregion2.jpg

A close up of Elijah's River which runs through central Chora:

choraregionupclose2.jpg

A close up of the cliffs near the ocean:

choraregionupclose.jpg

More pics and updates to come. Thanks for checking out my CJ! :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0