• Moose

Deschutes County

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Follows the journey of Betterfeld as it grows from a small village to a thriving riverfront city. Also I will throw in the stories of other towns and cities along the way to keep things...

Entries in this City Journal

Paramore22

By the year 1920, Betterfeld's growth of the conventional neighborhood has almost grinded to a halt. Word of a new, more "hip" neighborhood has reached the ears of Betterfeld's youth.

As the neighborhood of Highland Park grows, a new style of housing develops. The style was inspired by the bungalows found in California. The houses look gritty on the outside but the residents are proud of

their humble abodes.

HighlandPark1-1.jpg

HighlandPark2-1.jpg

Highland Park's growth swelled the city's population to nearly 10,000 people. It was soon decided that it needed a medical office so residents don't need to drive across town. The construction of the clinic brought more development.

HighlandPark3-1.jpg

Once Betterfeld was plunged into the "Ragin' '20's" Multiple performing theateres sprang up around town, mostly in Highland Park.

HighlandPark5-2.jpg

HighlandPark4-1.jpg

On July 17th, 1920, Betterfeld's first skyscraper was built. Located in the heart of Highland Park, it was named after the man that designed it, Louis B. Hotchner. The Hotchner Building is occupied by numerous cafes and shops on the street level along with an underground nightclub that hosted acts from the "sinful" music that wasn't allowed in the downtown area at the time.

HighlandPark6-1.jpg

This large, triangle shaped plot of land was supposed to be developed into more housing, but rallies by local residents protested that if the neighborhood were called "Highland Park" there should be a park. Plans for a new park are being drawn up and should be completed in the next year.

HighlandPark9-2.jpg

Here are some night shots:

Highland Park becomes a vibrant place at night. The sounds of musicals, plays and concerts fill the streets. The streetside cafes are busier than they are during the day.

HighlandPark7-1.jpg

HighlandPark8-1.jpg

Finally, a railroad was finally built and connected Betterfeld to the outside world. There is no question this will bring more development to Betterfeld.

NewRailStation-1.jpg

Paramore22

The year is 1915. Betterfeld has grown to a little over 5,000 people. So far, the city's only major problem has been the extreme air pollution developing near the bank of the Deschutes River.

It was soon brought to the attention to Mayor Anderson that he had a new problem on his hands...

The lack of garbage facilities was causing heaping piles of trash to collect across town.

Trash1-1.jpg

Mayor Anderson quickly zoned for a landfill in the new industrial developments on the other side of the Deschutes River.

landfill-1.jpg

Meanwhile, younger residents that don't want a boring life in the suburbs but can't afford the lifestyle downtown have started building their own community. With Highland Avenue being the main artery through the neighborhood, the area was nicknamed "Highland Park".

HighlandPark-1.jpg

Highland Park is the more "gritty" area of town, but as time passes in a few decades, this small community becomes the main Indie scene for Betterfeld.

Back in the suburbs, citizens that move into the city expand the city's spread and soon the city limits were wrapping around the foothills. Many wealthy citizens wanted to build their stately manors on the slopes, but the city council restricts any kind of building whatsoever on the hills. Also, in 1916, a heavy traffic road was widened and paved to create a straight shoot to downtown and the industrial district.

residential-1.jpg

The town has experienced some major growth in the last couple years, and this picture taken by an amateur photographer shows how Betterfeld has grown from a small village to a populous, thriving town.

Townoverview-1.jpg

Finally, as Betterfeld grows and it's industrial sector expands across the river, a major problem arises. A local fisherman brought the attention to the BCC that as he was fishing near the 3rd Street Bridge, there were several dead fish floating in the water. He also mentioned that the water had a brown-ish look to it. He then snapped this picture:

waterpollution-1.jpg

The pollution may be hard to see, but when the picture is in color the water is a light brown color. But it's 1915, color film hasn't been invented yet!

Dun dun dun!

Paramore22

Hey all,

First, I gathered from the comments that the last comment was horrible, eh? Sorry if it totally turned you off to this journal. I thought it was a nice little town and I really wanted to show it off.

Second, this last week had been busier than I expected so I have had zero time to do anything with the game. The weekend was also unexpectedly busy. I'm going to try to get to it either this week or this weekend. So hang in there!

Again, sorry if the last update. I PERSONALLY didn't think it was too bad, but that's because it was my work haha.

Paramore22

To all: Sorry if you're disappointed about not seeing more of Betterfeld yet. I was getting kind of bored with it so I needed a change of scenery for a while 10.gif

But I think you will enjoy the city I have been working on (or at least I hope you do!) And after this I will be back and working on Betterfeld!

Enjoy!

The City of Mitchell

Welcome to Mitchell! 

WelcometoMitchell-1.jpg

Town Overview

TownOverview-1.jpg

The older neighborhoods are on the northeast side of Highland Avenue. In the second picture, Highland Elementary serves all K-7 students in the Mitchell area.

OldNeighborhood1-1.jpg

OldNeighborhood2andHighlandEleme-1.jpg

Divide Park gets it's name from Highland Avenue being build directly thorough the middle when the town became more populated. The residents and city officials alike did not want to completely bulldoze the park so it was kept. Through the years more trees have been planted and benches and playgrounds have been added and it's as if the park was never split up.

DividePark-1.jpg

The newer neighborhoods create the boundry between the city limits and the expansive farmland surrounding the city. Mitchell High School is a fairly new building, constructed in 1981, serves all 8-12 grade students.

NewNeighborhood2-1.jpg

NewNeighborhood1andMitchellHighS-1.jpg

The crowning jewel to any small farming town is the fairgrounds. And Mitchell's tops the cake. Builtin the midst of farm fields and open blue skies, it's really a great place to spend a nice summer afternoon. Although the fair only comes for a week each year, there are still plenty of events. From gun shows to rodeos, outdoor concerts, art exhibitions, farmer's markets, Easter egg hunts, Christmas festivals, New Year's Eve dances, whatever you can think of, Mitchell Community Fairgrounds has it all!

CityFairgrounds-1.jpg

Being such a small town, the local Winn Dixie grocery store is the only one in town. But being small has it's advantages. Surrounded by farms of all kinds, Winn Dixie can charge low prices since it doesn't have to ship any of it's fresh food products in. Meat is bought from local cattle farmers and fruits and vegetables are always fresh (it's a Winn Dixie promise) and brought in from local farmers daily. Also, Mitchell has only 1 small bank and a credit union.

MitchellsOnlySupermarketandBank-1.jpg

South Highland Avenue marks the beginning of Downtown Mitchell. Kept alive by the small busniesses that occupy the small area, it has thrived since establishment (1905). It's famous Pit Theater shows both major movies and a couple independent films once in a while. Ranch Records is right across the street from the Old Mitchell Hotel (the cast iron building) and the MItchell Fire Department still operates out of it's original fire station.

LookingdownHighlandAvenuethehear-1.jpg

MacArthur Park is the centerpiece to downtown. Surrounded by quaint little cafes and shops, this area is a tourist destination during the summer. In 1972, after the mayoral election, Mayor Hartzell wanted to tear down the park and build a grand, new city hall in it's place. The residents, however, protested this once word got out that he wasn't going to hold a public meeting to get opinions. Mayor Hartzell was only mayor for a year. To which then he moved out of town and is believed to be living somewhere in Eastern Oregon.

MacArthurParkandthenumerouscafes-1.jpg

The Mitchell Spokesman Newspaper Building was built in 1906 and is one of the city's oldest buildings. Today, the newspaper company shares the building with the town's only news channel, MCTV News 12. It covers news in Mitchell, along with neighboring towns Modesto and Redmond. And across the parking lot, you can see the city hall that was built instead. A modest little building, the residents love it because it blends in so well with the rest of the buildings and looks very nice across the street from the park.

TheMitchellSpokesmanandCityHall-1.jpg

Night shots:

NightShot1-1.jpg

NightShot2-1.jpg

NightShot3-1.jpg

NightShot4-1.jpg

Alright, that's all! I hope you enjoyed looking/reading this! I'll be back to Betterfeld in a couple days or so, so hang in there!

Thanks for the support!

Paramore22

So I want to know:

For my next entry, would you the viewers want to see more of Betterfeld...

OR

See pictures of another town I have been working on?

Let me know!

Paramore22

After the New Year, a new mayor, James Anderson was sworn into office. Whilst the previous mayor was loved, it was nice to get a change of "scenery". The first thing Mayor Anderson did was approve the plans for the new bridge. The following design was chosen:

NewBridge-1-1.jpg

He also decided to take the city offices out of the rinky dink building on the corner and approved the construction of a brand new city hall.

Before:

BeforeCityHallConstruction-1.jpg

After:

AfterCityHallConstruction-1.jpg

On the controversial topic of the old windmill, Mayor Anderson decided to take a city-wide vote. At an overwhelming 98% turn out, it was unanimous. The windmill was to be kept standing, and a park was built around the windmill and the market dating back to the establishment of the town. The park was lovingly named "Pioneer Park". The Mulberry Street Chapel still stands in it's original location also.

PioneerPark-1-1.jpg

While on the topic of parks, a new park was consturcted across the street from the new city hall. It featured a statue of Thomas Betterfeld, the city's founder.

CityHallPark-1.jpg

On the residential side of the city, more and more residences are becoming middle class. Mayor Anderson has tried his hardest to keep the wealthy, gaudy mansions from taking housing space from the working class.

MiddleWealthResidents-3-1.jpg

Finally, the downtown area is thriving. The previous apartment buildings have been replaced by beautiful, historic brick walk-ups. What has made them more desirable is their proximity to City Hall and being across the street from Pioneer Park.

FirstRowhouses-1.jpg

Sorry, I lied. ONE more picture. The downtown area at night!

Downtown-1.jpg

Thanks for reading/looking! I would have addressed your guys' comments but I had neither the time nor the willpower to do it. I promise I will next time!

Paramore22

Hey people following my CJ,

I've been VERY busy with school lately and Easter and such. So I haven't had time to do a new update, let alone even play the game. So I'm going to try to get a new update either tonight or later this week so don't give up on me yet! But I did get a B on my Algebra test so there's some good news 39.gif!!!!

Paramore22

Growing Halt

As 1910 crept closer, Betterfeld seemed to slow down development. More middle class residents upgraded existing homes rather than build new ones themselves.

MiddleWealthResidents-1.jpg

The newest developments have just about reached the end of the foothills surrounding the city. Most belong to lower class residents.

FoothillExpansion-1.jpg

Before development started slowing, the downtown area got 2 new additions. One is the first building of Betterfeld's first bank, Deschutes River Bank. The second was the city's first apartment building.

FirstApartmentBuilding-1.jpg

The downtown at night:

DevelopingDowntown-1.jpg

And finally, the BCC has proposed building a small 2 lane bridge across the river in an effort to ease the pollution on the residents and businesses by moving industries across the river.

Plan A:

OptionaBridge-1.jpg

Plan B:

OptionbBridge-1.jpg

Plan C:

OptioncBridge-1.jpg

That's all for now! I hope your enjoying reading this as much as I'm enjoying making it! Also, if anybody has any tips or anything on how to make it so your demand for RCI never drops that would be mucho appreciated. That's the problem I always run into when making a city, which is why I stick to small towns 2.gif

Paramore22

About mid 1906, the mayor of Betterfeld decided to finally build roots in the town. He felt that the mayor should live at the same level as his citizens. So he built his modest house in the middle of the main neighborhood. In fact, since it was built, every mayor since have lived in this house.

ModestMayorsHouse-1.jpg

The city center has experienced some major growth. The first city council offices was built in 1905 (the building with the grass and park by it). The original windmill that provided power for the small village is now surrounded by buildings. The city council is considering voting on tearing it down. (btw, this isn't how I want the downtown to look, but I didn't want to totally drain my commerical demand by going plop crazy)3.gif

Growingcitycenter-1.jpg

CityCenterNight-1.jpg

While most residents live in great locations away from the industry. Some residents aren't as lucky...

LessDesireableNeighborhood-1.jpg

Paramore22

The year is 1905. Betterfeld is expanding it's industry sector further towards the city center. Through all this industrial expansion, the population of Betterfeld is well over 3,000.

overview-1.jpg

Around the month of July, demand for water reached an all time high. The Betterfeld City Council (still operating out of the small church), put together a team and constructed the town's first water tower.

Firstwatertower-1.jpg

After the installment of all the water pipes to deliver water, not just the residential development exploded, but the commercial expanded in the city center. Farmers sold their farms in exchange for cold hard cash and the construction of new shops began.

DisappearingFarms-1.jpg

While all this new development has the expanded industry to thank...the BCC (Betterfeld City Council) will have to put some things into consideration. The biggest problem they will most likely have to deal with in the near future is air pollution and water pollution...

OilPowerPlant-1.jpg

Paramore22

Industry Run Amuck

Replies:

supercity124: I was going to include a picture but it would look weird because as it grows I put the forest around it...but I'm going to get one ASAP. Possibly the next post.

Nuclear550: Thanks, I wanted to include a good story to go along with it.

waccaolaf53: Thanks, I knew what you meant 3.gif

Vermolas: Great! That's the effect I was hoping for!

It's been a few years since anything has changed in Betterfeld. The factory that opened in 1894 began producing a new type of film that helps bring out more detail than the current formula. So you will see that in the photos. The town's population exploded to more that 1,000 people and Betterfeld became an official town.

Expandedhousing-1.jpg

The construction of the first factory stimulated more construction of more industry.

RapidlyGrowingIndustry-1.jpg

TheGood-1.jpg

As more industry moved in, the population expanded and soon a new power plant was needed. The village council (now city council) saw this as a strategic move, building a big power plant. "Planning for future growth" they said. Though...the citizens saw the towering power plant as a nusience in the future... The main problem it being so near the Deschutes River.

NewPowerPlant-1.jpg

Soon, as industry became more desireable than farmland, the farms surrounding Betterfeld began selling their land. Then industry moved in...

AirPollution-1.jpg

Paramore22

So far, Betterfeld has been experiencing some very steady growth. Historians are seeing no declining line in any kind of population. As of 1894, the population of Betterfeld is 384. With those new residents, new commercial buildings are filling the center of the village. Though most are used automobile lots.

NewCommercial-1.jpg

In the month of September of 1894, the citizens approved and built the first major landmark of any village. A church. The village decided to use some extra funds to build this rather than a town hall because it was more cost effective and the church can also be the meeting place of the village council for the time being.

BetterfeldsFirstChurch-1.jpg

The construction of the church made Betterfeld more desireable to live, so major growth was stimulated. The residential side of the village has almost doubled in size. (With housing lots still for sale by the way 2.gif)

NewHousing-1.jpg

That's all for now....But wait, what's this? It looks like a factory. The Industrial Revolution has come to Betterfeld.

FirstFactory-1.jpg

Paramore22

Replies:

Daan300: Thanks, I hope I can keep up! And I'm building the city as I go so every picture you see is recent work. I'm hoping that doesn't slow down the development of the CJ 18.gif

k50dude: I want to include some of the cities I'm building that are loosely based off of some of the towns here (mainly Bend and Redmond).

iGod: Yeah I want to get done with the early parts so I can start using black and white and eventually color photos to fit the time period. And I wouldn't say this is great photoshopping, I just use the effects on Photobucket haha. I'm Photoshop challenged so I tend to stay away from it 21.gif

After many public debates between the citizens, a plot of land west of the village center was deemed school property and a community effort went underway to construct Betterfeld's first schoolhouse.

NewSchoolBuilt-1.jpg

The effects of a newly educated village was immediately noticable. Streets were laid out and houses were built further from the center of the village, a couple more farms sprang up around the outskirts and a few more commerical businesses took up shop. Betterfeld was fast on it's way to becoming an official town.

GrowthofBetterfeld1894-1.jpg

Along with a new school, a few residents created a makeshift medical lodge out of an existing house. This small cabin would later evolve into Betterfeld's largest medical centers.

BetterfeldsFirstHospital-1.jpg

A random nightshot I took. I wanted to test the old photo effect on night time shots.

RandomNightShot-1.jpg

Paramore22

Replies:

fmunier: Thanks, it's my first CJ so I'm trying to make it interesting!

k50dude: Are you talking about the Deschutes County in Oregon? Yeah I live here and I like it too. I hope I can live up to expectations 19.gif

By 1891, Betterfeld's population has almost doubled to 104 people. As more people move in, more farms started developing around town, while the only actual commercial use is a small market and an automobile service shop.BetterfeldsGrowth1891-1.jpg

Since no official townhall has been built yet (mostly due to the lack of funds), the residents use the small gazebo as a town meeting place.

GazeboMeetingPlace-1.jpg

As the new year approched, many citizens rallied that a small school should be built. The proposed location has been cleared of trees and is where all the stumps and logs are:

ProposedSchoolLocation-1.jpg

Paramore22

The Early Days

Deschutes County is a collection of small to mid-size towns in the heart of a Pacific Northwest state. With the Deschutes River cutting it in half, most of the larger cities dot the shores. While the outer lying areas are home to a smaller population of rural farmers.

On October 15th, 1887, the first settlers arrived from the Eastern cities to start a new life in what seemed like a whole seperate world.

settlers.gif

Led by Boston native, Thomas Betterfeld, his group landed on what is today, the City of Betterfeld. During settlement, the village was attacked by a tribe of Nez Perce indians, which resulted in the death of the unofficial mayor, Thomas.

In his memory, the people named their village "Betterfeld" in memory of the man that helped them create their new lives..

An early sketch by one of the villagers of the area.

CityTile-1.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0