• Moose

Inakaye

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A look into the development of a new country far to the east of Simnation. Watch as settlers tame the wilderness and bring society to the far reaches of this new land.

Entries in this City Journal

Eldaldo

Replies:

Shulmanator:  Thanks for the read!  And I will most certainly watch out for firey devil horses!

Simmytu:  Thanks!  Hope you enjoy todays's update.

Well, it's been forever since my last post (not true on simtropolis (i got behind here)). The holidays came and went and the new year came in like a fury. I have had very little time for actually playing SC4, which is really disappointing because I have all the writing done for this enormous series of updates. However the updates required the building of a new city (Arnett), and some serious building in Mariston. And since my brand of semi natural growth takes so long, I have been unable to really get the cities to presentation quality yet. Hopefully, I will finish Arnett soon and be able to get that update out before too long. February 23rd marks the 1 year anniversary of this UB, I am going to try and get some sort of cool sideshow or something set up for that maybe.

This update itself is not as finished as I wanted it to be. After about a month of sitting on it, I decided to just get it off my shoulders and move on. Hope you enjoy it anyway. As with all my updates there are some plot developments.

About six months after he was re-elected as mayor of Lake Maureen, Mckinley Morganfield set out on a trip to Mariston. The goal of this trip was to hire a faculty for the college that he was in the process of starting in Lake Maureen. He had already received a small grant from the federal government (which was interested in creating higher education throughout the country), and with the rest of the money coming from the Evanson Family (of the Evanson Distilling company), the Julian Motor comapny (who had opened a plant in the town last year), and town tax money, Morganfield set about commissioning an architect to design the building, and forming a board of trustees from some educationally leaning business owners in the town. A charter was written up. Everything was ready to allow students to apply, except that there were no teachers or classes.

Since so much money was coming from industry, it was clear that the school would have a technical leaning, at least to begin with. Qualified teachers needed to be found, and a head of the college needed to be hired. To do this, Morganfield had arranged for himself to go to Mariston and speak to the administrators of both the large and respected Mariston University, and the newer and much smaller Beleza College. He was hoping he could at least make some contacts who would help him find teachers.

The trip would take several days due to a stop in Arnett and the fact that the only steamer service that came out this far had slower ships than the ones that traveled between Auen, Duluth, and Mariston.

Morgnafield took the ferry from Lake Maureen to Wyant's Landing, Which had become the main port for passenger ships in the region (the Solace Bay port was too dirty). Morganfield thought about how he would have to get a passenger ship company to service Lake Maureen somehow. Well, one thing at a time Mckinley, right now, you're working on bringing higher education to your town.

The steamship was relatively small as far as steam ships go, but to Morganfield it looked large enough. It had one stack and a dining hall above deck. the quarters were below. He traveled light. one bag, which he took below to his absolutely tiny quarters. there was a small bed and a window. Spartan to say the least, and cramped to say more.

As the ship left port that afternoon, Morganfield went above deck to watch the bay recede behind him.

He could see the smoke of Solace Bay from a long way off. the wind off the north ocean was cold and made him pull his coat around him tighter. He decided to go sit in the dining room and get some tea and read the paper.

The room had perhaps a dozen tables and stools that were bolted to the floor. it was not a fancy dining room, but to a man who did not know much luxury it seemed nice. He sat down and ordered his tea. A copy of the Wyant's Landing Daily was in a box at the door so he went and picked it up. The Wyant's Landing Daily was a pretty crappy newspaper. it had all sorts of propaganda about how wonderful the Solace Bay Co. was. But Morganfield Just wanted to read something, so he opened it up.

Excerpt- "The Man In The Overalls Heals Havalina Again - Over the past year or so, rumors of a mysterious man wearing overalls have spread through the region. He has appeared in local small towns several times and has invariably helped or healed someone every time. Earlier this week (Tuesday the 3rd of November), this man appeared in Havalina for the second time since he first appeared about a year ago. He prefers to be called Farmer, but has been colloquially named "the Man in the Overalls." This man was greeted warmly by the people of the town. several sick were brought to him and he prescribed strange herbal remedies for each of their illnesses. Miraculously, each of them worked within a few days. The "Farmer" was hosted by several households of the town before he moved off into the woods yesterday. Apparently three citizens of Havalina followed him to learn his method of healing. While tales of this man are spreading through the small towns and countryside, he has yet to show himself in Solace Bay or Wyant's Landing for that matter. Why, I ask, would he avoid a place where there are plenty of people who need healing? Perhaps he lacks the resources to heal so many? Perhaps he is afraid of cities? Or perhaps, his "healing" is all a trick that he plays on uneducated country folk from two horse towns. we may never know . . . -Charles Fox, The Wyant's Landing Daily.

Morganfield had heard of this man when He last visited Mayor Toure of Havalina. Apparently he had healed a child dying of pneumonia and a man whose broken leg was infected and was about to be amputated.

"I don't know how you could fake that." he thought to himself. He wanted to meet again with Toure to hear if he had any new stories from this second visit. This Man in the Overalls really was intriguing.

----------------------------------------------

At Dinner, Morganifield Noticed that Daniel Johnson, the "mayor" of Solace Bay was also on board. Johnson waved to Morganfield and sat down at his table.

Johnson: Hello Mckinley. I guess it is a boat full of mayors eh?

Morganfield: Ah yes Daniel, I do recall you winning some election of sorts. If I recall correctly it caused quite a bit of trouble . . .

Johnson frowned. Morganfield was referring to the fact that The Solace Bay elections were rigged and that, when the workers found out about this, they rioted. causing one of the bloodiest incidents ever to occur in the nation of Inakaye.

Johnson: Yes, you are right. I want you to know, that I don't feel proud of that in any way. If I could go back and change it I would.

Morgnafield: I should hope that you would feel that way. Alot of people died. Even your Co-boss died, isn't that so?

Johnson: James' brother Robert disappeared after the riot actually. We assume he killed himself at sea.

Morganfield: hmmm, word on the street was that he died during the brave re-taking of the streets by the wealthy educated, rightful ruling class . . .

Johnson: yes, that is the story, but most everyone knows that he never left for the re-taking of the city. and when we returned from the city he was gone. In fact, I'd rather not talk about it. He was my closest friend. so much different a person than James is.

Morganfield: Well, I am sorry that you lost your friend. But let me make some things clear to you. Our two cities are run on two completely different principles. And while I do my best to maintain a working relationship between our cities. A relationship where my town provides food for yours, I honestly cannot sit here and talk with you when we believe in such different notions of what it means to be a human. I do not find it enjoyable for us to sit here and talk as if we were friends, when we are really nothing of the sort. Now if you'll excuse me, I will retire to my room. I wish you well on the rest of your journey, goodnight.

And so, Morganfield picked up his things and left the room, and Daniel, wearing an incomprehensible look on his face, watched him go.

Eldaldo

Reply: Thanks Mighty Goose!  I'm glad you liked it!

Today is kind of a showcase update of some work that I did on Inakaye's capitol city. The huge Solace Bay update i am working on will probably be split into three parts, most of the writing is done, but I still need to play alot of SC4 before it's ready. Unfortunately I'm really busy, Hopefully I can get part 1 up before Xmas. Thanks for reading and here's today's Update.

Auen was the first city of Inakaye, and this gives it the honor of also being the government's capitol. It was founded by Paidrig Cassidy, whose original party settled on the very island which Downtown Auen stands today. The City was the largest in Inakaye until Duluth overtook it in the 1850's. It is still the third largest City after Duluth and Mariston with a total population of 265,000. It has the oldest University in the country, and is the leading scientific city in the country. The local political climate is quite left leaning for the times, and this is mostly due to the enormous middle class and intellectual community present in the city.

While it's hard to tell exactly from the map, the roads in Auen make absolutely no sense!

The city is not without it's own issues though, being the first city of the country, it was very poorly planned. it has an almost incomprehensible road system. It was almost as if the city council had given control of the city to a blundering fool who knew hardly anything about building cities and said, "here, do what you want . . . seriously, go nuts."

The old Parliament Building is seen above center, with the federal courthouse above it and the old city hall below

also, as the country grew, the tiny governmental buildings (which had been in the heart of downtown), that housed the parliament, the courts, and all the different federal departments and bureaus became overcrowded to the point where the parliament building burned down and killed half of the parliament in the fire because the fire exits were all blocked. in fact, there was not even fire exit legislation in place to be violated by how blocked the fire exits were. I think one representative actually parked his horse in a fire exit, and many representatives were crushed beneath it when it went crazy because of the fire.

AAAGGGHHHH!!!! the Firey Devil Horse Dosth Trample us ALL!!!!

Needless to say, larger and much less flammable buildings were needed. The government decided to build a new capitol district in the neighborhood of Connor's Point.

Connor's point Pre-Demolition

It was a wealthy Neighborhood on Delmont Island, the largest Island of the Auen Archipelago. The neighborhood had just gotten it's own tram line and was the perfect place to set up a center of government, all that needed to be done was to demolish a half dozen mansions of some of the richest businessmen in Auen. This was alot of trouble, but after several bribes and unique government appointments, the new capitol was ready to be built. The building begun in 1903 and finished a year before the current First Minister, Guy Picciotto, was elected. in the few years since then, the neighborhood has seen a flurry of growth and has become one of the nicest parts of the city.

Following is a sort of tour around the neighborhood that showcases the Capitol District as it is now being called . . .

Overview of the Capitol District, with the large new parliament building top center. the Conway Tower is also visible. This tower was built in honor of Darren Conway, the original first minister of Inakaye.

a closeup of the Capitol square with all the federal buildings visible.

The waterfront of Connor's Point was also built with some beautiful waterfront parks. It is really expensive to live here!

Eldaldo

replies:

Reikhardt:  Thanks so much for your comment!  I hope you continue to follow along!

Today we have a smaller plot based update. There is a huge update that i am currently working on, but it requires some work on two cities, one of which is Mariston, which has become so big that any kind of work on it takes forever. Natural growth is like that. It gets slower and slower the larger your city gets. Even though my journal is very far from CSG's "natural growth" these days, I still try to grow my cities as naturally as possible. little by little here and there. I have another mini update almost ready to hold us over until the giant one comes, hopefully I'll get that one out next week. Anyway, hope you like today's update . . .

Inakaye is a huge country. But it has had few inhabitants because of it's great distance from every other place in the world. However, in the past few decades innovations in transportation have allowed immigrants by the millions to flock to this distant land.

Above is collection of photos illustrating the growth of Solace Bay over the last 25 years. Right click and select "view image" for the whole thing. whoever is in charge here seriously slacked with this one. what is this!? Amateur Hour!?

Anyway, small towns have grown into bustling cities and people are settling anywhere where they can fit. However, most of the country is still considered frontier. And most cities are quite spread out from each other. In most cases, water and woodland trails are all that connects distant cities to each other. This has led to the prominence of a complex ferry and steamship system. For example, the Cervantes Steamship Co. runs ferries each day from Duluth to Mariston. The trip takes almost two days, but it is certainly the fastest way between the cities.

While the Water ways are the great transportation veins of the country, railways are becoming much more common. Each major city has laid tracks to facilitate the shipment of industry and agriculture to it's own specific waterway, the Iron Hills line in the Solace Bay region is a perfect example. It simply connects the mine to the city allowing the transport of workers and raw materials between the two.

Unfortunately, the mountainous terrain of Inakaye has made it difficult for rails to be laid on a larger scale. Above is the Hoerner River gorge between Auen and Duluth. This river would somehow have to be crossed in order to connect the two cities.

Currently the only Intercity Rail line is the Allegheny Central line that runs along the Allegheny river valley and connects Auen with Cassidy and Holbrook. The Holbrook and Prairie Line Further connects Holbrook to Collins, which has access to the Prairie River that leads to Duluth. This line passes over the Eleverdy highlands. The Holbrook and Prairie Is buying up land to expand its line all the way to Duluth, or at least to some of the Duluth Local lines. Regardless, the "Three Cities" have yet to be connected by rail, and all of the smaller emerging cities are even more isolated.

The major news this week is that First Minister Guy Piccioto has announced that the federal government is going to fund the creation of a national Rail line designated the Federal Rail Project (FRP).

above is the Auen National Mall. Almost all of the Federal Administration buildings are pictured.

he is calling for a consortium of engineers from around the Nation to come to Auen to plan and design the massive railway that will ultimately have to traverse quite difficult terrain in order to connect the three cities and the frontier cities in a network that will bring the nation much closer.

This is another act by the controversial first minister to bring the disparate cities and Island of inakaye into a closer unified nation. as the regions have grown, each major city has developed it's own sort of government and culture. It has been mentioned before how drastically different the almost despotic Duluth and Solace Bay are when compared to the liberal and intellectual city of Auen. In bringing the nation closer together, First Minister Picciotto is bringing these conflicting ideals into conflict. Piccioto is from Mariston, which is very middle of the road when it comes to political ideals. His national post has been deemed a sucess as it has greatly increased the ability for intercity trade. This new project appears from the outset as only a positive thing for the country as a whole, but how will it affect the relationships between the governing parties of each city when they are forced into closer contact with each other. Only time will tell . . .

We will be sure to keep an eye on what effect this will have on the solace bay region. currently no plans have even been announced as to whether a city as far from the three cities region as Solace Bay will even be connected to the rail system, but James Wyant and Solace bay's four Parliamentary representatives are going to lobby as much as possible for a rail connection to greater inakaye that would allow for faster than boat transportation, and trade, to the large cities.

Eldaldo

(click for larger picture)

It was 6am August 13th in 1913. The sun was rising but Boris could not see it. There were no windows in his room.

Still, a little light from the windows in the hallway came in cracks around the edges of his door. it was by this dim light that he awoke. The morning bell was about to sound he knew. He always woke up a minute before the bell clamored and woke the city from its slumber. He could not see them, but his wife Tanya lay next to him, and his two daughters lay on a mattress on the floor at the foot of their bed.

Boris sighed, and recounted the events that had brought him here . . .

He was born to peasant parents on the Don river in southern Russia.

Things were rough growing up there, his family lived in a very small house, and hardly had enough food to eat, and was constantly in debt to the landlord who would occasionally have his servant come and beat Boris' father to try and get money out of him. Boris was educated at the new mandatory government school and became friends with a kid named Dimitri Vyhosky. He Married Tanya when he was 17 and she was 15. He and Dimitri became very close. Dimitri was a very intelligent man and became politically radical as he grew up. just a few years ago he began to speak out against the government. This made Boris nervous because he knew what happened to peasants that criticized the government. It ended up happening that Dimitri and Boris were both arrested for conspiracy because they were friends.

For 2 months they were starved in a government prison, and were scheduled to be sent to Siberia, but the day before their transfer a rebel organisation sprung them and the entire prison in a midnight attack. in the confusion that ensued, Boris raced home and snuck his family out of the town and down the river to the city of Azov. In Azov, they hired a vessel to take them throught the black sea to Constantinople, and from there they got on a crowded ship to Inakaye. Their flight from their homeland was one wrought with danger and fear each step of the way. It forced them to run without looking back. as Immigrants to Inakaye they came penniless, but were finally free of the oppression of their homeland.

It was spring when they arrived in Mariston and

they quickly found themselves sleeping in the Arroyo Compassion House, on Arroyo Point, and begging for food to feed themselves and their two young kids. When a man in a suit came by with a contract to move to the frontier and work for the Solace Bay Co. offering housing, food, and a wage for 5 years of employment, Boris gladly signed the contract and got on another crowded boat for the second time in months. Boris for the first time since he left Constantinople felt lighthearted and hopeful. Here was a new life and an opportunity to make something for his family finally. Tanya and him would no longer fight because she felt ashamed of their poverty. But his heart sank when the ship pulled into the harbor and he saw the filthy smoke of Solace Bay filling the sky.

It was three years ago that he signed that five year contract, and he is nearly broken. He wonders if he will make it two more years. He has had two near death accidents so far in the factory. "What would happen to Tanya and the girls should i die in an accident?" he wonders. He knows that they would have no chance and would become beggars or worse in these filth ridden streets.

The morning bell rang across the city.

It sounded distant and muffled here in the heart of his apartment building. Tanya stirred next to him and he sat up in bed. Boris rose and opened the door a crack to let some light in. He had thirty minutes to get to the wood factory before the next bell rang. if you were late you got docked your salary for the week, and if it happened too much you got fined. you did not want to be late. Each member of the Kurshin family set to putting on their work clothes and preparing themselves for the day. After a brief meal including some stale bread and metallic tasting water, Boris Kissed his wife and Daughters before they all parted for work.

Boris worked just down the street at the nearby Lathe Factory. He spent the day making chair legs. on the template machine.

Tanya and the girls worked near the docks at the food sorting facility. With over 22,000 workers, sorting and delivering rations to the masses was a huge job, and also had its benefits. Whenever there was a shortage, Tanya was able to hide some away for the family so that they would not go hungry. This was very risky though, because if they were caught then Tanya would be fired and possibly thrown in prison.

As Boris walked to work, tanya and the girls hopped on one of the slow trains headed for the docks.

Because of the huge migration of workers at the beggining and end of the workday, the company ran flatbed trains at a slow pace up and down the main tracks that workers could hop on and off as they needed. this was quite dangerous because the trains stopped for nothing, but accidents only happened every couple of days and people weren't killed very often, usually someone just lost a foot or a hand.

The day started and Boris was handed his morning queue of logs to shape. his basic job was to set up the machine and make sure it worked. there was very little skill involved. if the machine jammed he had to clear it, but basically all he had to do was place the log, start the machine, stop the machine, remove the product, clean the product, Inspect the product, either keep or discard the product, and repeat . . .

at lunch time he had nearly completed his queue, but he could not take lunch until his queue was finished. Boris rushed out the next three legs and was able to take a full 15 minutes for lunch. quite a lucky day. He wolfed down as much stale bread as he could and chewed on a mealy apple, washing both down with some warm water. Then the next bell rang and it was back to work for the afternoon shift. His afternoon queue of logs had already been delivered when he got to his machine.

At about three o'clock, the power went off in the factory, and the great roar of the factory slowly whirred to a quiet. this was not uncommon because of the massive amount of drain that the city of solace bay placed on it's power plants during the daytime hours. But this was different from the normal power outage. He could see other workers looking towards the office on the second floor of the plant that overlooked the factory floor. There was a group of men in there in addition to the normal managers. they were wearing the uniforms of the Department of Security. Boris heard other workers murmuring about trouble, but Boris had no idea why these men were here.

Finally after much nervous chatter a man stepped out onto the platform that overlooked the factory floor.

"good day citizens, I am the Director od the Department of Security, Alda Rent. You can call me Director Rent. I am here today because of an anonymous tip that someone, or a group of people in this factory are members of the Brotherhood of Derrik."

Everyone looked around at each other. Boris thought to himself, "This can't go well."

"We will be searching the factory for any kind of evidence to link someone to the organization, and will be asking each of you some questions." continued Director Rent. "If you are patient and innocent, then this should go smoothly. No one is permitted to leave until the investigation is over. Any attempt to leave will result in imprisonment."

A mix of annoyance, and fear came across all the workers in the factory. No one knew what to expect. It was common in this city to be arrested for the slightest thing. A misplaced word, a nervous gesture, even looking at an officer the wrong way could put you in the prison camp (which is almost overflowing now, I hear they're starting to send prisoners to the Iron Hills mines because the mortality rate of the miners is too high).

Boris just tried to be calm as maybe 20 officers descended to the factory floor. Some began searching through the various benches and drawers surrounding each lathe. Others actually began phisically searching workers, while other began taking down names, asking questions, and writing notes on a pad. They were making a huge mess, piles of logs and table legs were being toppled over and looked through.

Boris did his best to remain calm and stand still. Eventually the Officers made their way over to him. He saw as they tore open the drawers beneath his workstation and emptied the contents of tools and random detritus onto the floor. he felt as an officer began patting him down to feel if there was anything concealed in his clothing. he lifted his arms. and they patted down his torso. He had nothing on him except a billfold where he kept his money and identifacation papers. he gave it to the officer who was now interrogating him and the officer flipped through it, scrutinizing everything carefully.

"Name?" Aked the officer.

"Boris Kurshin."

"age?"

"23"

"Residence?"

"435 Wallgate unit 346"

"Any relations?"

"Wife, Tanya Kurshin. I have two daughters, Sasha, and Katya Kurshin"

. . .

After a couple of minutes they moved on to the next workstation, leaving Boris amidst the scattered things of his own station.

"well, that went painlessly, or at least as painlessly as could be expected," thought Boris as he started to clean up his things.

Not two minutes later he heard some yelling and shouting from two stations over,

"that's not mine, I have no idea how it got here! other people work at this station!"

it was one of his co workers, Reginald Basset. As boris looked, it seemed that they had found something incriminating, they were holding it in his face, it actually looked like a small handgun. Weapons were outlawed for workers since the 1910 riots. But this didn't make sense to Boris. Reginald was a good friend of his. He knew Reginald better than any of his other co-workers. they lived across the street from each other. on weekends they would go drinking together and on holidays their families would get together and celebrate.

Reginald wasn't in a secret society, Boris knew that. Boris was about to speak in defense of his friend when the officers found something else that seemed to make Reginald even more guilty. They kept on holding this paper in his face demanding that he explain what it is. He just kept yelling that he had no idea where it came from. All of the sudden Boris had a sinking feeling in his heart. there was nothing that could be done. they had found something and boris would be tortured until he was dead or until they found something out from him, which would be nothing because he was not in the brotherhood. This evidence had clearly been planted by them, intentionally or acidentally. Boris also realised that if he said anthing he would be brought in as well.

So boris just stood there as Director Rent walked slowly into the workspace and briefly looked at each item and then looked intently at Reginald. there was a short silence. Then he spoke.

"Bind him and take him to the truck, the rest of you continue the investigation. There may be more then one . . ."

Boris then noticed him glance back up to the platform where the factory office was and where the factory managers were. There at the railing viewing the whole scene, was a middle aged man with glasses and a mustache. He had a smile on his face as he watched the guards drag Reginald away to the truck. Boris knew this man. It was James Wyant.

He also noticed behind James, the head manager of the factory had a much different expression on his face. it was hard to discern, but it almost looked like rage. It struck Boris as interesting, because when James turned to him, he immediately changed his expression to a smile. The manager had hid his feelings from James . . . The manager was hiding something.

Boris too, felt great rage in his heart. His good friend was certainly gone from his life, but not before he endured great suffering at the hands of James Wyant and His goons. Boris wasn't sure who he was more upset with. The evil of the Solace Bay Company, or the fact the the Brotherhood had framed one of his closest friends in this awful city.

As the sun set several hours later and he finally left the factory to return to his soot covered, dark apartment. He had made a decision in his heart. He would be different now.

Eldaldo

Reply:

Schulmanator:  Thanks for the comment, and I assume that Washam, would be the only one who'd pay for votes, unfortunately all the guys on CSG forums voted for morganfield, so . . .  But every vote counts right!?

It's been forever since I've updated, but that's the way things go sometimes. I have not forgotten Inakaye and plan to continue working on it when I can. I hope you all enjoy today's update. very plot heavy but necessary. I hope to have some nice sc4 heavy updates soon. there's lots of exciting stuff going on in inakaye!

Many people were excited to hear this morning that Mckinley Morganfield has been re-elected as the Mayor of Lake Maureen. Especially since the the last ditch efforts of opponent Rey Washam to fear the town's citizens into voting against Morganfield. Morganfield ended up winning by quite a landslide getting 72% of the votes. He is holding a town meeting tonight in downtown to give an re-election speech. We go now to the Morganfield residence where he discusses his feelings about his victory with his wife and good friend/store owner, Matt Redfelt:

Matt: You seem surprised Mick, did you think Washam had a chance?

Mckinley (Mick is his nickname): It was hard to tell, he certainly got pretty dirty at the end trying to appeal to the farmers. As if my entire family aren't farmers . . . but now i am relieved. I believe in this democratic vote, but I really don't trust Washam anymore, and I'm glad that he lost. there was a time a couple years ago when I started the LMBA (Lake Maureen Business association), when he seemed quite upstanding, but recently, with the parties and the yacht . . .

Laura Morganfield: I've heard that he holds secret meetings of the business association with his closest friends. They're just rumors of course, but it makes you wonder what he's really up to.

Matt: well he certainly doesn't invite me to any secret meetings. The business association has certainly split over the past year. there's Washam's group and then everyone esle. He has a big pull with the wealthy. He says alot about protecting Lake Maureen from the monopolistic and despotic Solace Bay Company, but part of me wonders how much he just wishes that he was the one with all the power.

The Lake Maureen Business association's offices were recently moved to a larger and considerably nicer building. This is a reflection of how far the town has come in the last few years

Laura: And seriously, Farmers? What has he ever done to improve the conditions of the farmers who supply his granary? He runs that company almost as iron-fisted as James Wyant does. Seriously Mick, he is only going to present more problems as time goes on. The LMBA was supposed to keep this town's businesses honest, but I fear he's turning it into something else.

Matt: Laura is right, you've defeated Washam for now, but he isn't going away, and as our town gets wealthier so will he. and with wealth comes power . . .

Mckinley: you have good points, but I don't know what you want me to do. as far as I know, he hasn't done anything illegal, we would have to prove that he us up to no good before we could do anything to him. he is a pain in the ass, and I will keep my eye on him, but for now i have to just keep doing what I have been and try to get this town to a population of 12,000 in two years. It shouldn't be that difficult with the way the city has been growing. If we can attract maybe 2 smaller manufacturing companies then we can probably reach that goal.

Matt: well what about starting that college of yours? have you changed your mind about how to improve education at all?

Mckinley: I haven't. The problem is going to be getting a faculty. none of our teachers are qualified as professors, and there are very few scholars out this far. But in a month I am going to take a trip to Mariston and visit the university there to see if I can get any professors to move out here and start a frontier college. I also want to visit Inakaye University in Auen. I doubt there will be any professors there willing to leave the best school in the country, but perhaps we can get some young graduates willing to teach for our college. If we can get the school started, then we will be the only higher education in the frontier and as the frontier grows so will our school, and following suit, Lake Maureen will be a center of knowledge. you know i have always believed that education is the key to a healthy and prosperous community.

Matt: you are certainly right there, but I think there is alot more to it than that. there are certainly thing you wouldn't want in a prosperous community . . .

Mckinley frowns at matt but says nothing

Matt changes the subject: Well, has that man contacted you again about building a park in Southlake? what's his name? Newsom?

Mckinley: Yeah, he just got elected to the town council by southlake. Owns that store on Havalina road. He's young but seems very capable. I like seeing him become a leader in that neighborhood. it's been getting bigger every year . . .

for more backstory on the young but promising Jake Newson, check out the entry Homesteading Heroes under "Nelson and Hudson" viewtopic.php?f=24&t=227#p2161

Their conversation from here wandered across the happening of the town and what Mckinley felt about them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We now go to Rey Washam's house to hear what he says about Morganfield's win. With him are his usual crew of close confidants: Duane Denison, Edward Ingleson, and Brendan Canty. The are sitting around a small circular card table sipping premium Evanson Cottongrass Liqueur. Rey is noticeably perturbed.

Washam: This loss was to be expected. That man has such a golden reputation no one could have beat him. It just means we have to take more drastic measures. I told you a while ago about a contact I had made who would prove useful in our battle against the Solace Bay Co. Well, I have another meeting with him soon and I am hoping that we can come up with a plan together for the betterment of this region.

Edward Ingleson: Rey, you are so mysterious, won't you share your secret contact with us?

Washam: Not yet, his name is unimportant as of now, but soon, once we formulate a plan all of you will be implicated in the details I assure you. How did the rest of the elections turn out? did we get our friends on the council?

Brendan Canty: Everyone except the Southlake candidate. Some young guy named Newsom won that election.

Washam: young eh? well if money won't turn him to our side then I'm sure we can find some way. If the Association has a majority in the council then it will make my loss to Morganfield sting less. We must lay low for now though.

Duane: pick our battles . . .

Washam: exactly. And Duane, you still haven't told me, did you get director of police?

Duane: of course. who wouldn't vote for a handsome man like me?

Brendan laughs and Washam gives a wry smile. Edward however almost imperceptibly frowns at the young man.

Edward: well then it seems that things haven't turned out so badly for the Association after all. Morganfield can have his mayor-ship, but we have a majority power in the Town now.

Washam: Yes, I almost feel relieved. (he chuckles) I feel bad for Morganfield. He has no idea about our plans, but he is going to find out whether he likes them or not. Well, I suppose we can meet again in a week. remember to leave casually and cordially. this was a friendly business call, remember?

The four men go about the business of standing and adjusting themselves before shaking hands and exiting Washam's manor in a very carefree way, laughing and cajoling out the door, leaving Rey Washam in his parlor lost in thought. What is he thinking about? I wish I knew . . .

Eldaldo

Replies:

Tigeria:  Thanks for stopping by!  Someday we'll probably check in on Daniel and see how he is . . .

There is a major election happening in Lake Maureen now. Mckinley Morganfield has done such a great job as the town's first mayor. But his term is up, and he is running for re-election. His opponent is the wealthy Rey Washam of the Lake Maureen Business association.

In the past few years, Morganfield has helped this tiny little farming community grow to a bustling town with a population of nearly 9,000.

He has taxed the citizens, but in exchange brought trade to the area via the Havalina Road and the creation of the Lake Maureen Business Association. Brought education to teach the children, and a police force to protect the citizens. He has also kept his promise to keep the dirty industry and the politically oppressive shadow of the extremely close neighbor city Solace Bay, out of Lake Maureen. He has been truly a great public servant, and has a strong support among the locals. especially in the newer neighborhoods like the neighborhood of Shilka seen below.

This neighborhood is named after the man, Hans Shilka. Whose farm used to be located on this site. Last year he sold his farm to developers and opened a "frontier style" clothing store in Downtown Lake Maureen. Rustic "Frontier" clothing is becoming popular among the wealthy of the nation. Shilka's business is hoping to expand and open a warehouse to produce his own line of frontier clothing.

Morganfield's platform for re-election is:

to reduce the pollution that comes from Solace Bay by planting a huge park on the abandoned farms that separate the cities.

This is what the border between solace Bay and Lake Maureen looks like now

Above is a concept image of what the park will look like

He also wishes to make Lake Maureen the center for learning in this whole frontier region by chartering a university or at least a college to draw students and intellectuals into the city.

He also promises to continue to regulate industry so that highly pollutive industries are not permitted to build in city limits.

Solace Bay's "Company Main" Factory complex, not a good skyline

Lastly, at a population of 8,946, Lake Maureen is just 3,000 inhabitants from being able to elect a representative to parliament next term.

The Parliament Building in the Capital city of Auen

So he vows to do all he can to encourage immigration to the town. And there is an urgency for this as well, because with the explosion of immigration the country has seen in the past five years, towns in the dozens are reaching the 12,000 population mark (which is how many citizens you need in a town for it to elect a representative), and the parliament is filling up. so the first minister Piccioto is discussing with the parliament on raising the cap to 36,000 to elect a minister to parliament. All cities that already have a representative would keep them, but new cities would have to reach 36,000 before they could be represented. This means that two years from now might be the last chance that Lake Maureen has for representation in parliament, because 36,000 inhabitants is science fiction to the Lake Maureen of today.

It would seem with a platform like that and a track record like he has, McKinley Morganfield would have no trouble getting re-elected. But, Rey Washam of the Lake Maureen Business Association has alot of people on his side. There is a new, wealthier, class of people living in the town, and Rey is to be found at the center of all the wealthy class happenings in the town.

Rey Washam's House

He owns the biggest house and holds the finest parties. His car is the finest Julian model available, and he owns his own steamer to travel to Mariston or Auen on business or for pleasure. Therefore, He is very well respected by the Higher class, and has found ways to poke holes into Morganfield in the eyes of the lower classes and farmers. He says that Morganfield does not fully appreciate the threat that Solace Bay presents. That more measures need to be taken to ensure that Solace Bay workers, should they riot again, can never destroy Lake Maureen. and to make sure that the anarchist Brotherhood of Derrik never is able to infiltrate the town of Lake Maureen.

He suggests that a wall is built around Lake Maureen, and that the militia is made full time to keep watches of those entering and leaving the city.

This rhetoric of fear has much more weight due to a recent pipe bomb explosion at the Solace Bay docks attributed to the Brotherhood of Derrik.

Washam also says that Morganfield is more interested in business and education than he is the common farmer. and that agriculture is the backbone of Lake Maureen and efforts must be made to bolster agriculture.

Restor creek and it's location in relation to Lake Maureen

He suggests building an irrigation resovior out of restor creek in the western edge of town to increase the irrigation capacity and thus the agriculture capacity of the town. He also proposes to tax Solace Bay for the crops they buy from Lake Maureen and use some of this money for agriculture benefits and give the rest to the farmers. These platforms have gathered a large support for Washam in Lake Maureen so that it is now unclear who will win. With the election two weeks away, and the fate of lake Maureen in the sway, it is a tense time. If you lived in Lake Maureen, who would you vote for?

Downtown Lake Maureen

Eldaldo

Black wolf is a town south east of Havalina. It sits on the shores of Lake Audra north of where the Rani River flows into the lake.

It was originally settled in 1900 by a group of American Catholics who immigrated to Inakaye with the intention of setting up a Monastery. Well, in transit to Inakaye, several of the monks-to-be fell in love with women on the long boat ride. They decided instead to marry and found a community for Catholics in this new land. And that is what Black Wolf ended up being.

I have never mentioned this before, but Inakaye is not a particularly religious country. Because so much of it is still frontier, many towns and communities are preoccupied with feeding themselves and preparing for winter rather than with religion. You will find churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples, in the Three Cities region, but No religion is particularly culturally dominant yet. Still, despite there being no strong religious affiliation of the country, there is alot of religious tolerance, and therefore it is not uncommon for religious groups to come here and form communities like black wolf. Below is a map of Inakaye that shows some of these communities.

Back to the story, Black Wolf is a predominantly catholic community, and the largest building in the town is the church. There are about 500 people in the town and most of them are farmers.

----------------------------------------------------------

We recently heard the story of how a mysterious man in overalls healed Elijah Burton's youngest Son Aaron. This is the story of his eldest son Daniel, who recently turned 13 and is leaving the farm to apprentice as a stone mason.

Daniel Had not been able to sleep. He had tossed and turned in his lumpy bed thinking only of his future.

He looked out the window and then turned over and looked at the wall. He looked across the room at his sleeping little brother. these things, these people, that he had spent his life around would fall away from his life. and it would happen tomorrow. He tried to memorize the windowsill and the leaves outside his window. He would never forget the way they looked.

"I must never forget my home, my family, and these dingy fields," he thought apprehensively as he thought about the farm he grew up on.

He had become interested in stone masonry early in his life. His aunt had taken him to Lake Maureen and he saw the beautiful statue in city park carved out of solid stone (see below).

he thought it was amazing that you could carve something so lifelike out of stone. This experience started him trying to carve animals from the rocks he'd find on the lake shore near their house.

(The shores of lake Audra near the Burton Farm)

as time went by he actually became quite good at carving, and he could tell that his Father was proud of him. Once when he was in Cape Winston with his uncle's family he heard of a Town to the East called Black Wolf, and that they had found marble there and started a marble quarry/masonry workshop.

(the hills where the marble was discovered, notice the white stones)

(a picture of the Black Wolf Mason's Workshop immediately after construction)

Though he could tell that it disappointed his father who always hoped that Daniel would take over the family farm, his father agreed to acquire a position for Daniel as a Mason Apprentice at the Black Wolf Workshop.

Tomorrow he would sail first to Cape Winston in their family's small boat. and then take a steamer almost 30 miles east to Black Wolf. Then he would meet Martin Kilder the Head Mason, under whom he will spend the next 7 years training to become a real stone mason.

"what will my new bed feel like? what will Master Kilder be like? Will he be nice? or will I be miserable for 7 years? Will I make any friends in this new town? What will living in a town be like?" All these thoughts ran through his busy mind. On one had they scared him, and on the other hand there was excitement in his chest at the world of opportunity in front of him, and the fact that at the end of the road he would be a mason. He could spend the rest of his life doing what he loved to do.

As the dark sky outside his window began to lighten just the slightest bit, his mind began to slow down in it's thinking, and he felt the ghost of sleep begin to take hold of him. he would need the few hours of rest. he had a busy 7 years ahead of him.

Eldaldo

Replies:

Schulmanator:  Thanks for following!  I really appreciate it!  Hope you enjoy today's update.

This update takes place at the Burton Homestead, and It's been a long time since The Burton Homestead has been mentioned. For the background information on the Burton Homestead, please see Entry 9: Homesteading Heroes http://www.csgdesign.com.au/CSGf/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=227#p2161. The Burton Homestead is the last homestead mentioned in that entry.

To set the scene, Old Jeremiah Burton, who had been the head of the Burton homestead for the past thirty years passed away last fall leaving his son and daughter-in-law, Elijah and Coraline Burton, in Charge of the homestead. Elijah's wife is from the Matthews family, a well known family from Cape Winston to the south of the Burton Homestead. The last Spring, Coraline's Brother, Herald Matthews, Brought his family out to the homestead and Began clearing land for a field next to the Burton Farm. This greatly upset Old Man Jeremiah who had always been very protective of his land.

Above is the current Burton/Matthews Homestead. You can see how there are now many buildings and fields that make up this large homestead.

Recently, a strange and miraculous thing happened on the Burton homestead. Today, Herald Matthews is in Cape Winston relating this story to his parents and extended family over a dinner in his Parents' house.

Cape Winston is a small village that began as a fishing village even before Solace Bay was founded. It has grown slowly over the years though steadily. It now has a couple thousand residents and they are discussing chartering as a town.

The Matthews family own a Farming supply store that sells all sorts of grain and machinery to the farmers of the area. They are considered one of the most respected families in town and own one of the tallest buildings on main street.

Now we continue and listen in on Herald's story . . .

"Well, what happened is this. I was chopping firewood out back and this man comes out of the woods. He was dressed in faded overalls. his hair and beard were long and wild. He was carrying nothing but llama-skin sack with a bow and arrow sticking out of it. When he saw me he raised his hand in greeting. He asks me if I was Jeremiah's son. And I told him Who I was, and he asked to speak with the Old Man. I told him how he was late a couple months and that Old Jeremiah passed away. He looked visibly upset. I asked I fhe had known Jeremiah well, but he said he had only spoken to him once long ago. He then asked to see Jeremiah's Son, so I took him over to Eli's (Elijah Burton) place but it turns out that Eli's little boy, Aaron, had woken up deathly ill and everyone was gathered around his bed. Eli didn't really want to talk to the stranger, but wouldn you believe it? This man went up to Aaron's bed and felt his forehead, looked in his mouth and felt his stomach. He said something about thrashfly poisoning, and pulled out some herbs from his bag. He had Cora boil up some whisper-root tea and added a few strange plants to it. He had Aaron drink it down and by evening his fever had passed. I never saw a kid recover from a sick that bad. He should have died, but thanks to this strange man's medicine he was cured. He won't say where he came from, and he doesn't have a name, but he saved that boy's life. He has been staying at the burton farm for the past week and says he wants to hear as many stories as he can about Jeremiah and the other deceased Burtons before he moves on. All he says about himself is that he spent most of his life around people, but made alot of mistakes. says he spent some time alone and decided to spend the rest of his life learning from others and passing on what he has learned. He certainly has taught the Burtons alot about medicine. Still, it doesn't make much sense does it? some guy who won't talk about his past, wandering around, helping people out . . . Says he made mistakes in his past, I wonder what he did? Was he a crook? Maybe he murdered someone? but then why would he save that boy? it is a strange but miraculous mystery . . ."

The Matthews family could not ask enough questions about this strange "man in the overalls" and this tale quickly spread about the town of this strange man who healed a sick boy.

Almost everyone in Cape Winston was intrigued and wondered, "who is this Man? Where does He come from?"

Eldaldo

South of Solace Bay is a small town named Havalina.

It sits on the shores of Lake Audra specifically at end of the Straights of Pleura. The main town is on a peninsula called Foxclif Point.

It initallly began as a fishing community, but a larger farming community began growing around it.

A year ago (1909), the settlement chartered under Inakaye Law and became a town electing Farka Toure as their first Mayor. As it was with Lake Maureen's Mayor (McKinley Morganfield), Farka Toure is the owner of the Town's General Store. This is a common occurence, because the store owner's are usually the most in touch with local event's and everyone in the town knows and trusts them.

Recently, Mckinley Morganfield, Mayor of Lake Maureen to the north, constructed a road to Havalina from Lake Maureen. Since then there has been increased trade through the Havalina Docks.

Just this year, the town sold land to the Duluth Bay Shipping Co. to construct a small port on the east side of Foxclif Point (where the slopes aren't as steep). Land was also sold to three Food Manufacturing companies who will construct fish canning facilities in Havalina. This new port is expected to bring many inhabitants to Havalina, and also increase trade from Lake Maureen and Solace Bay through the area.

James Wyant of the Solace Bay Co. Sees these developments taking place from up north in his city and much like the eye of Sauron, he begins to shift his gaze southward upon the town of Havalina. "with a Port In Havalina, I could have direct trade to Duluth as well as Mariston. I could increase my already Immense profits . . ."

Eldaldo

It has been over a month in RL since there was news from Solace Bay. In Solace bay nearly a year has passed. It is nearing the end of 1910 and much has changed since the riots of March.

James Wyant (President of the Solace Bay Co.), has taken extreme measures to control the populace. He has created an elite police force in addition to the regular Solace Bay Police. This new force is called the Department of Security, or DOS.

Headquartered in Wyant's Landing, they have far reaching authority to monitor and arrest citizens supsected of socialist or anarchist activities. Along with the military-esque Solace Bay Police (below)

the Department of Security has kept the city Riot free since March. But tensions are still high between the workers and the employers in Solace Bay.

The Brotherhood of Derrik is still a mystery. With all his effort, James is still unable to find out anything about them.

Their posters still show up in alleys occasionaly, much to the annoyance of James. No overt actions appear to be taken by the Brotherhood, but machines in the factories have been needing maintenance far more frequently. Parts have been failing long before expected. It could just be shoddy craftsmanship to begin with, but it is still a strange coincidence . . . James is growing suspicious . . .

Other than the massive construction that has been done in the past year, the thing that has changed most in Solace Bay is it's population. The port of Mariston recieved an average of 5,000 immigrants a month this year, the most that Inakaye has ever seen. With all these immigrants there is literally no space anywhere in Mariston and the streets are overflowing with homeless immigrants. It is a bad situation in Mariston. James Wyant capitalized on it by sending recruiters there to sign immigrants to a contract with the Solace Bay company whereby they will receive shelter, food, and a wage (based on performance), but agree to stay with the company for five years. This is a welcome deal to most of the immigrants, who have no idea what the conditions are in Solace Bay. Therefore, in the year 1910, these recruiters were able to sign almost 8,000 employees to the Solace Bay Co.

increasing the population of solace bay to just over 20,000! And, More contracts are being signed each month!

Most of the construction going on is for housing these new employees, and most of the work that these new employees are doing is constructing more housing for new employees (it is an interesting cycle, But finally, more effort is being diverted back to the increase of factory output and lumber harvesting). Some of the new buildings can be seen below.

Some of the buildings have had more decoration and architecture built into them than is usual for James Wyant's taste, but he has decided that if he tries to make the city more beautiful, then the workers will be happier and more productive.

A Town hall was built on the ashes of the apartment buildings that had burned in the riots. This building serves as the council building, the court, and also houses some offices of the Solace Bay Co. for now.

The City also finished its full sized industrial port. Solace Bay now has the third largest industrial Port in the nation after Duluth and Mariston.

The first stages of the Prison camp for political prisoners has been built by the prisoners captured after the riots. The actual prison facility has yet to be built. For now the prisoners sleep in the empty warehouses at gunpoint of the Solace Bay Police Force. They are currently being put to work building new factories outside of the camp, but once those are complete, they will build their own prison that will house them until their sentences are complete . . .

A baseball field has been built in the western end. Baseball came to Inakaye recently with American immigrants, and has caught on around the country. It is being played at some informal level in every city. James sees this as a way to entertain his employees and also to divide the workers a little. Each neighborhood gets a team and they compete against each other in several series each year. and at the end of the year there is a playoff for the Solace Bay Championship. This provides entertainment for the workers and also causes the neighborhoods to compete against each other, which he hopes will lessen worker solidarity.

The only other news is for huge expansion of the western end factory development.

As 1910 closes, James Wyant sits pretty confident in his power. He has spent a good deal of the money left to him by his missing brother Robert to increase his workforce and make the Company/City safer and more efficient. He has essentially taken complete control over the functioning of the City, leaving "Mayor" Daniel Johnston an almost complete figurehead. This neglect of giving Daniel actual duties has put strain on their relationship. James has pretty much ignored Daniel and gathered a new group of confidants mainly the Cheif of Police Esko Juarez and the head of the Department of Security Alda Rent. It appears to Daniel that he has fallen out of James' trust due to his more moderate views. James has spent alot of time schemeing with his two new friends. Yet, he does not feel entirely safe. The brotherhood of Derrik's continued presence eats at him and sometimes keeps him up at night. How could such an organization hide in such a small city with all of his efforts being made to uncover them? Sometimes he Suspects that Daniel is against him, and has had a secret officer follow him on occasion. He knows there must be a Brotherhood mole somewhere . . . Who could it be?

Eldaldo

The news of Inakaye . . .

The biggest news is the election of a new first Minister.

His name Guy Piccioto, and he became first Minister on january 1st, 1910. He is from Mariston and this is the first time that a first Minister has been elected from a city other than Auen.

below . . . MARISTON (notice the two business districts, the south one is downtown and the north one is Marias. Mariston is about to beat out Duluth as largest city in Inakaye)

Since the Political system of Inakaye has never been explained, let's take a quick look at the governing system.

Inakaye is a sort of decentralized republic. Each city elects a council, and each city council elects Ministers to a federal parliament, and this federal parliment elects a first Minister, who is the leader of the Inakaye Government. This means that only members of cities (settlements with a population of 12,000 or more) are represented by the federal government. This has not been a problem in the past because, 90% of Inakaye's population was within city boundaries, and because the federal government did not interfere with the affairs of smaller towns.

For the majority of Inakaye's history, there have only been three cities. Auen, Duluth, and Mariston. However, over the past two decades and the huge influx of immigrants from simnation, many of the smaller towns have reached the city landmark. Some of these being Holbrook, Greenecliff, and Arnett. See below map.

The most recent town to become a city is of course Solace Bay. Unfortunately, Solace bay was too slow in it's city application and missed the deadline for being able to elect a minister to parliment for the period of 1910-1912. It will have to wait until November 1911 to elect a minister.

Each city gets 1 minister at 12,000 inhabitants, and then another minister for every 10,000 after up to a limit of 10 ministers at 102,000 inhabitants.

There are currently 35 ministers in the Parliment, and this number will theoretically increase as Inakaye grows. below is the Parliament building and the Auen City Hall.

In it's history up to this point the Federal government has only been concerned with foreign affairs, and national and regional land issues. It has stayed out of the legislation and politics of individual cities and towns. And has kept its distance from economics, education, and transportation concerns. In this way Inakaye is quite like a group of small city states, where the individual cities are more powerful than the federal government.

However, now each region is quite upset at First Minister Piccioto for his desire to begin a national post office. This will require each residence to be given an address, for the nation to be parceled into postal zones and for each zone to be given a post office. Many citizens of Inakaye, see this as a huge invasion of privacy and an attempt at the federal government to start interfering in the lives the citizens.

Minister Piccioto responds to these outcries with his most recent press release, "I find it interesting that our citizens see this as an invasion of privacy, but think nothing of the fact that comminucation between citizens from separate settlements is almost impossible anywhere than the three cities. I find it necessary to bring our Nation up to date with the rest of the world with this seemingly rudimentary government service. Once the ordeal of creating this post office is complete I imagine that each citizen will enjoy its benifits, and forget their complaints."

Construction has nearly finished of the National Inakaye Post Office in Auen (The interior still needs to be furnished), and surveyors are scouring the country and laying out the boundaries of the post zones. Soon, each zone will receive funds to construct its own post office, and these offices will go about registering each person's address within its zone. Below is a picture of the First minister being served a celebratory lunch on the roof of the newly constructed Post office building in downtown Auen. It is pretty windy today, I hope his seabass doesn't blow away . . .

In other news, the first non-stop airplane flight was made from Auen to Duluth.

The Gregg's flyer, piloted by Alden Greggory himself made record distance Inakayan flight of 585 kilometers to Duluth from Auen in just under five hours setting a world record for average airspeed at 110.5 km/hr.

He was greeted in Duluth with much fanfare and has been awarded the Inakaye Federated Science award for his achievement, and for putting Inakaye on the world stage for technology. A grant is being given to him by Minister Piccioto to develop a plane that could be used to be an express courier service between the three cities. The minister hopes to keep Inakaye at the lead of the aeronautical technology race that has been going on world wide since the Wrightsim brothers made their historical first flight in 1903.

Also a huge map of the country has been made. You can see it here . . .

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7814/scaleimageofinakayelabe.jpg

Eldaldo

Replies:

Schulminator:  Thanks!  Yeah I hear those things can be deadly.

Cisco2: Most of the natural stuff was from the rural renewal project on the SC4D Lex.  I also used Jeronij's plop water, and some of his rocks, and some sim peg rocks.  My terrain mod is the columbus terrain mod and the water mod is brigantine by simpeg.  Oh, I use cycledogg's trees.  That pretty much covers the general.  If you have any specific ones you want to know about.

Vivipanda:  Thanks for coming back!  I am glad you liked them.

It was the day after the Solace Bay Riots (entry 16), and the very same day that Robert Wyant Went on his journey(entry 17). Robert's Brother James had come back to the Wyant Mansion after his exhausting day in the City. He was now sitting in his study drinking a glass of the Lake Maureen Produced Evanson Whiskey and considering the events of the day.

He and the other Wealthy inhabitants of Solace Bay (who all lived in the neighborhood of Wyant's Landing across the bay) left early this morning before dawn and sailed across the bay on the ferry.

They entered the city and marched through its streets armed to the teeth and dared any workers to challenge them. When the remaining Solace Bay company guards saw them arrive they joined them and began marching though the streets of the worst neighborhoods. Surprisingly, no workers challenged them, and the few workers that they saw on the streets they immediately arrested even though most of them were collecting the bodies of those who had been killed the day before.

Once the city had been reclaimed by the guards and the wealthy, criers were sent all over the city escorted by guards telling the workers, who peered at the criers from the doors of their houses, that tommorrow they would return to their factories or to where their factories used to be and they would be assigned their jobs for the reconstruction of the city.

It was this that James wyant was thinking of as he drank his whiskey and sat in his study. How to rebuild the city? what do do wbout the future of the company?

He looked at the statistics he had written down on the sheet.

Total High level employees dead: 70

Total Workers dead: 329

total workers arrested: 386

total factories destroyed: 3

total workers residencies destroyed: ~60

estimated total damages in Inakaye Dollars: ~$27,000

he thought about the different neighborhoods and the damage each sustained:

western end had taken the most damage with three factories and several blocks of workers housing.

The north shore came next with several more blocks of workers housing.

Derrik though it somehow housed the secret organization "the brotherhood of Derrik," only lost a few homes.

downtown lost two apartment buildings and a couple shacks. these were actually pretty big losses because there were about 100 people displaced from the burning of these two medium density buildings.

James sat there and pondered . . .

He made a list of things to do.

Two woodworking factories and a machinery factory need to be rebuilt.

Alot of workers housing needs to be rebuilt.

The Solace Bay Company Offices were at capacity before the riots and were ransacked in the riots. They must be refurnished or rebuilt.

our business is being hindered by our tiny docks. Also we must have a rail connection to our docks. It is imperative that we build a proper seaport and connect it to the rail line.

We must built a city hall to house the city administrative offices.

we must build the prison factory complex to house our common and political criminals.

Not only does this list need to be prioritized (what needs to be done first? second?), the locations of some buildings need to be decided.

Should the prison be built on top of the ruined blocks of the north shore?

or should it be built on the previously undeveloped land north of the western end.

Building it in the north shore would be a message to the workers, but building it north of the western end would be safer and more secluded. It would also leave room to build whatever measures needed to be placed to ensure maximum security . . .

Next should the Solace Bay company headquarters and the Solace Bay City hall be built in downtown

or in wyant's landing?

Downtown is more central and gives the administration and immediate presence in the lives of the workers, but after these riots many wealthy are considering the city across the bay unsafe, and would prefer to work in wyant's landing where a bay separated them from the violent workers.

Also, James recently had sent recruiters to Mariston, which has sometimes over 1000 immigrants arrive each month, and has nothing to do with them. Jame's idea was to sign some of them to contracts and ship them to solace bay. The first boat should be arriving in a week or two and the city doesn't have enough houses to house the current population. Clearly higher density housing is needed. Shacks just wont do it anymore.

These thoughts overwhelmed him, But they also distracted him from the thought that was pounding at the base of his spine. "Robert."

He had read the note on his door whenever he returned from the city.

"Tired. Look in top drawer of my desk. Take care, and be careful. We were to be farmers when we came here. Be sure to think of what you're planting. Your Brother, Robert"

In Robert's desk he found Robert's Will, which left all his assets and properties to James. Even though he had almost hated Robert for the past couple months, this still upset and disturbed James. The man whom he had grown up with had apparently committed suicide. When He found the note he began an official search for Robert with the new Chief of Police, Garrett Hays. But when they found that Robert's boat was missing, James realised that Robert would likely never be found. "Why Robert? This thing happened and you had nothing to do with it. Sometimes things happen. People are violent creatures and they kill one another. it was that brotherhood's fault, not yours . . ."

But Robert was long gone. James took another swig of whiskey and returned to his endless list of decisions. He had no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

Whatever is decided, there sure are some great changes ahead for Solace Bay . . .

Eldaldo

Entry 17: What happened to Robert Wyant

Robert Wyant awoke from a fitful sleep still sitting in his chair at the dining table in the Wyant Mansion. He remained in his spot all through his brother James' speech, and then even after the meeting had ended. His silence and lack of movement had gathered the stares of many at the emergency meeting who had expected him to show his natural leadership. James' firey speech soon had their attention though, and Robert was lost amidst the energy of James. And so Robert sat all through the night, left to his own thoughts.

The early morning sun was slanting in through the windows of the Dining hall and Robert brushed his hair from his forehead. He recalled that earlier that morning, James and Daniel had come to try and rouse him to come with them on their retaking of the city from the rioters. They had gathered the whole population of Wyant's Landing on the front lawn of the mansion armed with guns and other weapons and then set out to the Wyant's Landing docks where they presumably sailed across the bay to the city. Robert remained in his chair.

There was a quiet to the dining hall as Robert finally rose from his chair. he went to his room and took off his clothes. He stood naked before his closet and pulled out the overalls from the back of the closet. He remembered these overalls, and how he wore them when he came to this region nearly 15 years ago. Then, he was an ex-factory worker intent on farming. Now, he was . . . He placed them on the bed. He put on his underclothes and then put on his overalls. He wrote a short note which he pinned to his brother's door. Then he left from the Wyant mansion.

He walked down dock street to the docks.

he got into his small sailboat and unlashed it from the dock. he set sail and left Wyant's Landing.

he set out across the bay, but halfway across, he turned north, away from the city.

he went west around Walker's point, the point north of the city.

once he got around the point turned south. he came in closer to shore and passed by the settlement of Windram.

he then traveled along the shore for several kilometers. it was now nearly 11am.

Robert came then upon the abandoned town of Irving. This town was once the port for the iron hills mine, but when the rail link to the mine was completed, all the machinery here was disassembled and transported to Solace Bay to be used in the new factories built there. the workers were merely reassigned to Solace Bay, and after several months, all the other inhabitants had left too. Now it stands a weed riddled shell of a town, slowly being reclaimed by the Inakaye wilderness.

Robert tied his boat to the dock and walked through the streets of this ghost town. He had been against wasting all these buildings and moving all these people like cattle. It turned out to be the most cost effective though and he went along with it.

When he got to the end of the town he just kept on walking into the underbrush.

It had used to be that walking through the woods was dangerous without a gun, but now most of the wolves and man eating raccoons in the region had been killed.

The spring had just started to develop flowers as he walked into the foothills of the Burton Mountains.

As he got higher up, he came across a meadow. A very rare sight in Inakaye due to the extremely dense conifer forests.

As he crested a hill, it turns out that this meadow was on the shore of a tranquil mountain lake. it was quite breathtaking and he stopped to admire the beauty of it. He thought about the lakes beauty in contrast to the human ugliness he had seen in the past two days.

At one end of the lake there was a mountain stream that flowed into it. He decided to follow this stream up the mountain.

The sun started to make him thirsty so he took a drink from the stream.

He was without food or anything except for his overalls, his shoes, a small flask he took from his boat, and a small knife that was still in his overalls from years ago. He felt the fear of death, and that made him feel alive. He kept walking up the north peak of the Burton Mountains.

The terrain got steeper and the stream got much rockier, but Robert kept moving.

pretty soon the stream was reduced to a few pools of water separated by rocky trickles down the mountainside.

eventually the stream bed disappeared as did the trees. Robert was in a high mountain field. He could see the snowy peak not far off.

He hiked to the edge of the field and turned around to face the world.

He could see the forest stretching out below him and could see the distant smoke of Solace Bay rising before the even more distant ocean.

Robert thought, "where have I come from? Duluth? Before that Simnation? Before that even? Have I come from the earth? Am I dust returning to dust? I was young and now am a man. I always thought my work was my purpose. But my work has sowed the events of yesterday, and such violence is no one's purpose. How could men do such things? I came to this place in order to be free and sow the land. Where did I go wrong? How did I get caught up in this? On the other side of this mountian is a man whose family has been here since this whole thing started. This strange country where millions live, yet the country has room for millions more. This country that has not even begun to have her secrets revealed. This beautiful country covered in an endless wall of trees . . . Oh that man on the other side of the mountian, oh how he and i are different. All, I wanted was to start a family like his, but now I am . . . done. I am done with Robert. Today Robert returns to the earth."

And so Robert sat and gazed across the forest before him, until the evening sun started casting long shadows of the mountain and the air became chill.

Robert got up and started walking back down the mountain into the darkness of the forest.

............................................................................................

I hope you all enjoyed this entry, remember, If you get confused at all about the characters and their roles in the storyline, the Solace Bay reader's guide is a good reference. http://www.csgdesign.com.au/CSGf/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=227#p2961

The next update will Involve James Wyant and the aftermath of the Solace Bay riots. Until Then, Take Care!

Eldaldo

Reply . . .

Vivapanda:  Thanks for reading!  We will have to wait and see how James Wyant and Solace Bay react . . .

now on to this update . . .

The very same evening that Solace Bay Co. president James Wyant gave his speech to rile up the wealthy residents of Solace Bay, another emergency town meeting was being held. This one to the South of the rioting city in the town of Lake Maureen. news of the riot spread quickly through the town, and since Lake Maureen is merely a kilometer from the southern limits of Solace Bay,

the townspeople could hear the explosions of burning factories or the occasional outbursts of gunfire in the distance.

Terrified by the sounds they have heard from the north, all the villagers of Lake Maureen have gathered at the Town meeting hall, which used to be a barn before the town was there. numbering close to 6,000 most cannot get inside, but they mill nervously around the doors.

It is said that very soon Lake Maureen Mayor McKinley Morganfield will hold a meeting. A quiet hum is heard throughout the crowd, "What will we do if they come down here? How can we protect ourselves from 12,000 people?"

As if by magic the crowd grows silent. McKinley Morganfield has risen to the podium.

"My dear friends, each of us knows why the other is here. we are all concerned about the riots going on in Solace Bay. From what we have heard, things are quite violent in the city. However, it does not appear that they have any desire to leave the city, and as night has fallen the riots seem to be losing steam. I am told that no new fires have been set since about 6pm."

"What makes you so sure that they won't come to Lake Maureen!" shouted someone from the crowd.

"I realise that everyone is scared of this, but the best way to handle the situation is to remain calm. This meeting is being held to prepare for just that-"

another shout interrupted him, "we should build a wall!"

"please, ladies and gentlemen, do not interrupt, we are a civilised town, remember?"

(silence from the crowd)

"now the town council has already met and discussed most every option available to us. Your suggestion of a wall is a long term solution, and we will address that in time, but for the moment we will discuss the immediate actions that the town is engaging in.

At this moment on Banks Avenue, Elmira St. and Winter st, the three main roads between here and Solace Bay, there are sentries with horses posted to watch for any sign of rioters coming this way.

In the event that they do these sentries will ride here and warn the town of the coming rioters. we have decided to call upon all willing men to take up arms in defense of the town, should rioters come to the town. After this meeting will be a mustering of all volunteers where we will organize you into groups with leaders. Does this decision meet your approval as a town?"

Cheers from the crowd.

"Then that will be our short term solution for the defense of our Town. As far as long term solutions we have discussed many. We decided that building a wall is a semi-hostile act and would likely instill resentment towards our town among the workers of Solace Bay. Not to mention the exorbitant cost of building and maintaining a wall around the city. thus A wall is not suitable as a long term solution.

The best decision we came up with was a Lake Maureen Police squad complete with deputies and perhaps even a volunteer militia. The council has voted for this solution, but since this affects us all so much we will also hold a town vote so that all of you have a say in this matter. The vote will be held once the plan has been explained. Now, the details of this plan are as follows: A police station will be built in the middle of our town and several full time officers will be employed. They will have all the legal responsibilities given police officers under Inakaye law. Now we haven't had too many crimes in our town and all disputes have been settled peacefully, but with police officers we will now have an official judicial system in the town with the town council acting as a court for now until court responsibilities become too time intensive and a full time court is required. The benefits of this are that we will have more protection against rioters, outlaws, and bandits, but the downside is that with officers of the law patrolling our town, any infractions of our law will be met with penalties. Think about these issues and what they will mean for our town before you decide what your vote will be.

As far as the deputy and militia proposals are concerned, these will be volunteer responsibilities but will be handled and organized by the full time, paid, officers of our police force.

Furthermore there will be costs involved with a police station, namely the cost of the building, equipment, and the salaries of at least four full time officers. We do not have exact values for these costs, but we estimate it to come to around 50,000 dollars, which translates to a yearly tax increase of around 8 dollars per person in this town. Now just last month you already approved a 4 dollar per year tax increase for the building of a new school, and those contracts have already been signed. this means that you will each be paying 1 more dollar a month in order to have both the school and the police force. They both come with benefits, but they have their costs. We will now give you a twenty minute recess to discuss these matters before a vote is held. Any questions?"

Hands shot up among the crowd and McKinley began answering the various concerns of the towns people . . .

nearly thirty minutes later, a vote was held and the creation of a Lake Maureen police force was approved . . .

...................................................................................................................................

Later that night in the basement of the Lake Maureen Business association, another meeting was held.

The lamp was turned low and barely illuminated the faces of the men around the table.

This meeting involved four men: Duane Denison, Edward Ingleson, Rey Washam, and Brendan Canty. These were the four wealthiest businessmen of Lake Maureen, and they have been meeting secretly (separate from the normal business association meetings) for the past four months to discuss items of their own interest . . .

Rey Washam (Oldest, clearly the wealthiest, and leader of the group): So what did you think of Morganfield's meeting?

Duane Denison (young guy, but very intelligent): I think it shouldn't bother us too much, seeing as most of us are on the council. And, we are doing nothing "illegal" per se. No police officer will be knocking on our doors any time soon.

Brendan Canty (middle aged, well dressed): We must be sure to have some hand in the police force when it is created, which should be no problem for our upstanding young man here . . . (Brendan gestures and smiles at Duane.

Duane: If you are suggesting I become an Officer?

Brendan: Perhaps you could become a deputy, and perhaps your store could supply the station with all it's amenities, perhaps you could become involved in a business manner with the station. They are just suggestions.

Rey: I agree with Brendan here, we have our hands in the council, but that may not be enough, we must tread carefully with this new police force . . . But we can discuss that when it comes. For now I want to discuss these riots . . . Morganfield and the town are scared out of their wits, but I see these riots as one more step towards our goal. We must do everything in our power to encourage the destabilization of that oppressive monopoly, and the sooner the better. I tell you, no business in this region is safe with those moguls running their machine. They are very wealthy and at this moment in time wealth is the loudest in Auen, it can get alot done for those who have it . . . Before we know it, we could be working for the Wyants. Morganfield has left the business association and somehow in his golden heart has the town's best interest's in mind, I have talked with him and he will support no actions against the Solace Bay Co. So, we are on our own, and you know what is at stake . . . But I have just made communication with someone who may be able to help us . . .

Eldaldo

bannerdv.jpg

Riots broke out this morning in Solace Bay in reaction to a series of events surrounding the chartering of the city.
riotk.jpg
The Impetus appears to have been today's announcement of additional city taxes to be paid out by all citizens.  Other grievances heard from the rioters included the unsafe housing of workers, brutality of Solace Bay Co Guards (who have now become the official police force of the recently chartered City of Solace Bay), and claims that the recent city council elections were rigged.
riot0.jpg

The riots began in the newly built western end factory complex and the worker housing neighborhoods that surround it.
dtown.jpg
Once news of the riots spread, various groups of workers joined in around the city until nearly the entire city was rioting.  Most of the destruction has been done in the Western End factory neighborhoods and the North Shore neighborhood.

riot9.jpg

So far several company guards and managers have been beaten to death by the workers. 
800pxnrrebroriot.jpg

Several factories have been burned down or are in the process of burning. 
riotd.jpg
In addition, entire blocks of worker's housing have been torched to the ground. 
riot5.jpg
The remaining guards are busy attempting to keep rioters from damaging any more factories.  Many are also trying to bring order to the downtown area.  Being armed with guns against the unarmed (except for blunt objects) rioters is giving them an advantage..

Most of the board of the Solace Bay Co. was able to make it out of the city and escape across the bay to Wyant’s Landing, where there is an emergency council of all Wyant’s landing  inhabitants being held at the Wyant mansion.
wyantlandinglabeled.jpg

Before we go to the mansion, there are some very important background events that led up to these riots that must be mentioned.

When we last saw the Solace Bay Co. executive board they had decided to charter their settlement.  They had also decided that in order to maintain control of the settlement and fulfill the federal requirement of having open elections, they would require a written exam be passed before a candidate could run for city council or mayor.  This would disqualify 95% of the illiterate populace and the Wyant brothers could personally grade the tests and fail any candidates they wished to remove from the electoral race.

Yet, these plans were kept secret from all except the upper management of the company.  Thus, when the elections were announced, there was a great excitement among the workers who felt that this was their chance to get some say in the way their lives were run.  So, each neighborhood began choosing the candidates they wanted to run.  Meanwhile, the Solace Bay Co. started planting their own candidates in poor working neighborhoods who posed as lowly workers, but were really higher level Solace Bay Co. employees.  If the populace would elect these plants unwittingly it would be just another way for the company to maintain its control over the workers while entertaining the appearance of honest elections.

Also, during this time a different rumor was going around the town.  A rumor was spread that there was a new underground worker's organization formed by a mysterious man known only as "Black Francis."  
blackfrancis.jpg
The organization was called the Brotherhood of Derrik (named after a worker's neighborhood in Solace Bay).  It's membership was secret, and it's goals were also vague, being merely stated as "fighting for the worker's cause."  This organization spread fear in the middle class and wealthy of the region and gave them all the more incentive to retain a tight control over the workers in the soon to be elected government.

And so, with all this excitement brewing, the town was electric when the elections finally arrived on March, 21st 1910.  Out of the candidates, every undercover worker plant was elected to the town council, also, Daniel Johnson was elected the First Mayor of Solace Bay.  Only two wealthy candidates from Wyant landing were elected to the ten member city council.  Immediately following the elections the workers were happy, and the Solace Bay executives were happy.  The worker's thought they had gotten what they wanted, and the Solace Bay Co. execs knew the truth of what had happened.  They had maintained control of the Workers and the Company.  The charter was sent into Auen as charter stating the population of Solace Bay to be 12,090, making it a city immediately.  (Truthfully the city only had 11,800 or so inhabitants, but numbers were fudged and a couple hundred transitory lumberjacks declared the city as their home).  This was the first and only time that a federal charter granted city-hood with the signing of the charter.

The charter signing day was a glorious day in the city.  The entire populous of Solace Bay showed up to put their X (since none of them could write) next to where a literate Solace Bay Co. employee had written their name.  The sun was almost bright enough to shine through the smoky fog of the factories, and everyone felt that they smelled something other than sulfur in the air that day.

Unfortunately  Things did not stay cheerful for very long.  The very next week, a day after the charter had been officially ratified by the inakaye government, a new rumor spread through town.  Apparently the Brotherhood of Derrik had discovered the lie about the planted city council candidates, and through some communication network spread this truth as a rumor throughout the entire city.  The workers were furious, and the newly elected city council had nothing they could do but flat out deny these accusations.  Some workers believed the council, but truthfully, the doubt had been planted.  Thus, this morning when the news of new city taxes was announced, it was the last straw.  The rioting started before the Company guards or floor managers knew what to do about it.
riotf.jpg

gastownriotcrowd.jpg

And, so we arrive at our present time, at an emergency council in the Wyant Mansion.  
wyanymansion.jpg
The night air smelling of smoke, and the distant glow of the city burning across the bay.
45667212f39128647ae3b50c37b900d9.jpg
 Inside the Wyant mansion the golden electric lights shed a warm light on the dining hall, where the most prominent members of both the Solace Bay co. and the Wyant's Landing neighborhood have gathered. 

The Dining hall is a large room, on one side having a space for dancing and a small musical ensemble, the other side having a large banquet table.  the room is packed nearly full.  There must be almost 100 people murmuring and talking in nervous excited voices.

At the head of the table stand James Wyant and Mayor Daniel Johnson.  They are discussing something with each other in quiet tones as the neighborhood gathers to listen to their meeting.  Next to them in a chair at the table sits Robert Wyant.  He is looking down at the table and appears to hear or see nothing that is happening around him.

At this moment James Wyant Gets up to speak . . .

orator.jpg

"A great injustice has been dealt to us today.  Our lives and our livelihoods have been threatened, and in some cases tragically taken.  The workers whom we provide with food, shelter, and income have turned upon us and challenged our superiority.  I am here tonight to tell all of you, that this will not last one moment longer . . . (there is silence in the room)  We have been too lenient in the past (at this point James looks down at his brother whom is still sitting in his chair starting distantly at the table in front of him).  We have allowed dissent to spread when it should have been squashed.  we have used kind words and deceit to trick the workers, when we should have used force to put them in their place.  We have even allowed a subversive worker's organization to rise up in our town without making one move to dissolve it."

"This old way of doing things will be no more . . ."  (nod's and murmurs of agreement from the crowd). 

"Tomorrow, we will go into our city with an iron fist, and destroy any sort of rebellion we find.  The workers will be made to rebuild what they have destroyed, and will also build a new kind of factory.  A prison factory, in which those who are arrested for sabotage and subversion will be sent to toil away the rest of their lives with a gun at their back.  Some of you have lost friends, brothers, or husbands tonight.  They will be avenged.  Each and every member of this evil brotherhood will be found and tried in a court for their crimes.  they will be sentenced to death or life in prison."

(more agreement from the crowd)

"I Say, when you look upon the Solace bay of the future you will see a city of industry, of obedience, of justice!  Do you see it?"  (Shouted "yes"s and "indeed"s from the crowd)

"The future of our city will be a prosperous one, where our children . . ." 

Thus, onward goes the speech of James Wyant to the city's wealthy, riling them up for the changes that are to come.  And, in his observant way, Daniel Johnson, the newly elected mayor looks thoughtfully between the firey James as he delivers his speech, and the silent Robert who is still staring at the table.  Not only have things changed between the workers and the upper class today.  but something great has changed in the dynamics of the company.  Daniel sees his horld changing before his eyes, and can almost feel the earth shifting under his feet.  Robert is done, and James has come out on top.  Daniel can do nothing but think about this and wonder what it means for him and his future. 

Meanwhile. across the bay, the city burns on into the night . . .

riotdtown.jpg

rio4.jpg

riot3.jpg
Eldaldo

banner.jpg?t=1270335247

Entry 14: A Reader’s Guide to the Solace Bay Region

“I’ve made a huge mistake.” - GOB Bluth

Well, since this is my first CJ, and since it is also my first time really playing SC4 (played it for a little when it first came out but it was too hard for me to get the hang of), I have been really learning how to effectively do both. 

I originally wanted to create a massive country of many cities that all seemed alive and organic, much the way that CSG or Marsh’s cities do (both my first inspirations to write a CJ).  While I still want to create the major cities of the country of Inakaye, I have really gotten to love story telling.  And, since story telling takes time and is more of a microscopic level, I have found that it is easier for me to focus on one storyline at a time.  Thus I chose Solace Bay (which I still don’t understand why?  Because I have three other maps that I am so itching to build on, but had I chosen one of them I’d probably be itching for solace bay, haha). 

Anyway, The first half of my ST journal deals with Inakaye as a whole.  But then I move to Solace Bay.  And there are several towns in solace Bay that I keep talking about.  Still yet I just started using the banner of “Inakaye Chapter One: Solace Bay.”  All of this is confusing I’m sure.  And, since I have just started to get into the “good stuff” as far as the Solace Bay storyline is concerned (I hope you all like it at least), I have decided to write a thorough “Readers Guide to the Solace Bay Region.”  Hopefully this update will clarify everything and everyone.  It will also be a good sort of legend (that I update periodically) that can be useful for further entries. 

I will now go through each important location and give some summary and a little on the important characters of each place.

Let’s start with Inakaye as a whole . . .

Inakaye is a continent/country far to the east of the known world.  Look at this ancient map,

OrteliusWorldMap.jpeg

imagine that the world was indeed flat and that the borders of this map extended much farther into unknown waters.  Imagine that there was apparent nothingness for thousands of miles on the eastern side of the map, and then there was a continent.  That is where Inakaye is.  Of course the world is round, and some aspects of this journal rely on the fact that that is the case.  Essentially I am adding many thousands of miles of nothingness to the pacific ocean.   It is very possible that there are still unknown continents that exist out there in the huge unexplored vastness of ocean(hint hint).

inakayelabeled.jpg?t=1270698981

Here is a crude map of inakaye, (Fullsize: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3453/inakayelabeled.jpg) much like the ancient map you see above, this map was a first sketch that features all of the major features of the continent, but is not very accurate as to scale.  As I get better at making images on the computer, I will attempt to make a better map.

History of inakaye can be found in my fist ST entry here.

Now we go through the major cities of Inakaye.

There’s Auen

ak.jpg?t=1270699325

Auen was the first settlement of Inakaye, and also the first city.  It is currently  (1910) the nation’s second largest city with a population of around 179,000.  It is the seat of the federal government, which is ruled by a parliament and First Minister.  As of the current game year (1910), the federal government does not exert it’s power very far and most governing power rests on the town/city level.  As Inakaye grows, that may change.  Auen is also the home of most of the country’s wealth and culture.  However, it is really poorly planned out.  it's as if the city planners had no clue as to how to build a city and just randomly placed large swathes of zones together without any clue as to the consequences of their actions.

Next is Duluth

Duluth.jpg?t=1270699866

Duluth is the grimy industrial capital of Inakaye.  Most of Inakaye’s manufactured goods come from here.  It sits in the middle of a regional slew of natural resources including coal, iron, lumber, clay, oil, tin, and copper.  It is the largest city with a metro population of nearly 300,000.  The conditions in most of the city are deplorable.  There are areas near the old harbor that are becoming rather nice though with the increase of wealth in the area.  It is also the region of Inakaye that has the most railroad tracks per square mile.

Next there is Mariston. (I am having issues choosing a map for the city, this is different from the original one, but I am currently not to in love with this one, so it may change again)

MaristonArea.jpg?t=1270699895

Mariston has become the major port of Inakaye.  Auen lost nearly half of it’s trade to Mariston over the past ten years.  Mariston sits at the delta of the Alexandra river and is connected by a waterway to Duluth and the Lake Audra trade route.  Mariston is the third largest city at 159,000.  Mariston also has the largest immigrant population and is also the fastest growing city.  The city is having trouble building homes for the new immigrants, and there are tensions growing between Inakyans who have been in the country several generations and those that are newly arrived.

Next comes Wales

Wales.jpg?t=1270699925

wales is a very small town and is very far north, but it has an abundance of oil which makes it a very important part of the country.

While there are other towns labeled on the map, none of then are cities as of yet and all have a population less than 12,000.  They are mostly farming communities as well and lack the heavy industrial development of the cities mentioned above.  I may mention them from time to time, but they are not crucial at this point in my CJ.

Finally we arrive at the subject of Chapter One: Solace Bay. 

(which just to clarify means that The CJ is about the country of Inakaye.  There will hopefully be many chapters.  The first one deals with Solace Bay.  Other chapters may be about other cities, or I may stick with Solace Bay, we shall see.)

The first thing I’d like to clarify is that Solace Bay is a bay and a city which is named after the bay that it sits in.  I also use the term Solace Bay to refer to the Region as a whole.  Furthermore, there is the Solace Bay Co, which is located in the city and pretty much owns the entire thing.  Confusing right?  Well, from now on when I use the words Solace Bay I will try to be clear as to whether I am referring to the city, the region, or the bay itself. 

canadalabeledsmall.jpg?t=1270700099

The Solace Bay region is special because it is the location of an ~8km isthmus between the north ocean and Lake Audra.  It is also “the” major eastern settlement at this time in the country (slowly people are moving east and several settlements have sprung up even further east but I have yet to mention them yet in the CJ).  The isthmus and the location set it up as a perfect place for a crossing of trade spheres. 

Now we will go into each major settlement and briefly describe it and then give a description of each of the major characters in that live there.

Let’s start with Solace Bay.

overview.jpg?t=1270011078

Solace Bay started as a stopping point for sailors on their way to Wales.  It then became the site of the Solace Bay Lumber Co.   Which was the company that supplied Wales with most of its construction material.  The company continued to expand its markets by building factories to build other wooden products like furniture, rifle stocks, and yes, toothpicks; it further expanded with the addition of the Iron Hills Mining operation and the rail link to connect Solace Bay with the mine.  The population has exploded over the past ten years but the settlement has still not chartered (though it is in the process of chartering).  The city is known for it’s extreme pollution and awful living conditions, but it has jobs a plenty and people still keep coming . . .

Major Characters:

Robert Wyant and James Wyant: Owners/founders of the Solace Bay Co.  They live across the bay from the City in the wealthy neighborhood of Wyant’s Landing.  They came to the region from Duluth and were intent on Becoming farmers before they started the Lumber Co. almost by accident (they had just cleared a field for their farm when a whaler who was just passing through offered to pay a good deal for the lumber so he could build a house in the settlement of Wales far to the north).  They have not been getting along for the past few years and rarely interact except at board meetings.  They are probably in the top ten richest people in Inakaye.  Robert is rather wise and pragmatic.  James is determined, but wrathful, perhaps even violent.

Daniel Johnson:  Speaker of the Solace Bay Co. Board.  VP of the company.  very intelligent, very persuasive, but also fairly goodhearted for an Industrialist.

Black Francis: Leader of the Brotherhood of Derrik, an underground worker's organization that is very mysterious in it's goals, but is possibly revolutionary.

Major Events:  Solace Bay Riots, April 30th, 1910 See entry Chapter1: April, 30th 1910.  Started due to raising of tax rates.  many buildings were destroyed, many people killed.  caused Robert Wyant to leave Solace Bay.

The next town is Lake Maureen

overviewlabeled.jpg?t=1268891430

Lake Maureen is directly to the south of Solace Bay.  It was originally started as a farming community that provided The Solace Bay settlement with food.  It quickly grew into a small town with many shops and businesses.  Recently, it chartered as a town with the Inakaye Government in Auen, and has grown quite quickly over the past two years under the leadership of its first mayor.  Inhabitants of Lake Maureen have grown to resent the rowdy and pollutive Solace Bay to the north and have been trying to keep it from creeping any further south.  This is much to the annoyance of Robert and James Wyant of the Solace Bay Co.  who wish to expand their company in every direction.

Major Characters:

Mayor McKinley Morganfield:  The first Mayor of Lake Maureen.  Been in the area for 20 years, came with parents and brothers from near Duluth, but was only 12 at the time.  Owned a general store in town, but recently gave it up to contribute all his time to mayoral duties.  Very calm and patient man, Believes strongly in education and in attracting trade and business to the region.  His opinions on The Solace Bay Co are quite negative, but he is wise enough to realise that he and his city are powerless compared to the Company and it’s city.  He continues to try and organise and develop the town of Lake Maureen to increase its legal and economic power.

Jake and Genevieve Newson (used to be Nelson./Hudson):  Star crossed lovers who ran off together from homesteads south of Cape Winston.  Own a farm on the South Shore of lake Maureen.  Recently gave birth to a daughter named Joanna.

The next settlement is Havalina

havalinasmall.jpg?t=1270701440

Havalina is a small farming community located on the shores of lake Audra to the south of both Solace Bay and Lake Maureen.  It is of mention because McKinley Morganfield recently built a road there to open up trade to Lake Maureen from Lake Audra.  There are no important characters here yet.

Next is Cape Winston

Capewinston.jpg?t=1268120898

Cape Winston began as a fishing village, but then farms and a town began growing up around it.  It is now home to a fish cannery and has begun to slowly grow into a town.  It is not officially chartered yet.  There are no Characters here either.

Lastly I want to bring up the Burton Homestead again.

canadalabeledsmallerburtonlocation.jpg?t

BurtonHomestead.jpg?t=1270701553

This was the first settlement in the this area of Inakaye.  The Burtons have been living here for over 100 years.  Members of the Burton family have dispersed throughout the country. 

Major Characters:

Jeremiah Burton:  Current head of the Burton Household, still remembers the good old days when there was no one around.

Elijah Burton:  Jeremiah’s son.  Future head of the household.  Married to Elsa Rally, and has two kids, Aaron and Shannon.  Recently Elsa’s cousin Gary Rally, from Cape Winston, cleared a farmstead near the Burton farm.  Jeremiah was pissed because he’s a grumpy old man.

While there are other towns, you can see them on the map.  I don’t have anything particular to say about them right now.  I hope that was clarifying.  I was thinking of just editing the first post and placing this in there, but I don’t think it fits there as it pertains only to the most recent posts and the ones that are to come.   I say, let the past be past and will leave it as a monument to my progress. 

I have been looking through a lot of other journals and I can see where mine is lacking in clarity and thoroughness.  I have also been evaluating other people’s playing styles and trying to improve my own.  I doubt I can achieve the greatness of those who inspire me (solely because I do so many other things in my life), but have found this whole CJ experience to be quite enjoyable, so I see this post as sort of a clean up of the past and a look to the future of Inakaye.  I hope that those of you who have enjoyed my journal continue to do so.  Thanks so much for your comments, it keeps me writing!

Eldaldo

banner.jpg?t=1270335247

Entry 13:  Mckinley Morganfield’s First Year of Office

It has been a year since the Town of Lake Maureen was chartered with McKinley Morganfield as mayor.   It is time to see how his first year has gone . . .

You will recall that his first major action was to build a schoolhouse in the town center.

Schoolhouse.jpg?t=1268891913

He also made a nice little park across the street.

park.jpg?t=1270335336

He has also set up the Lake Maureen Business association.  

businessassociation.jpg?t=1270335360

You may recall that Mckinley himself own’s a store in town.  This new business association is a gathering of all store owners and business owners in the town to promote the starting of new businesses, the attraction of outside investment in the town, and cooperation between businesses where applicable.  Mckinley sees this as a crucial way to compete and feed off of the monopolistic Solace Bay co to the north.  interestingly enough, Mckinley has given over operation of his store to his oldest son, Junior, because he felt it unfair to make such profits while also being mayor.  This way there will be no opportunity to criticize him as having his own interests ahead of the town’s.

Mckinley used some of the treasury money to buy up land on the edge of town, and some farms that are on the edge of town or between Solace Bay and Lake Maureen, in hopes of developing them, or keeping them from being developed.

Solacebaylakrmareenoverwiewlabelled.jpg?

The Golding and gorbach/Effie Purchases were bought to keep the Solace Bay Co from building any factories or slums within the Lake Maureen City Limits.  It is yet unclear as to what each f these other purchases will be used for . . .

Another thing done by Mckinley was build an extension of Lake Rd. North across the small causeway that separates lake Maureen from the Ocean.  This allows for cart and car/truck traffic to not have to travel all the way around the lake to reach the east side of the lake.  

CausewayRoad-1.jpg?t=1270335998

Speaking of cars and trucks, these newfangled “horseless” carts have been increasing in popularity in the region over the past couple of years. 

ba-bg_car_copy_3_0500801105.jpg

Most of the wealthiest in the region have them now, and recent developments in car manufacture techniques first developed in SimNation, but quickly imported here to Inakaye, are dropping the price of the car so that soon even poor farmers will be able to afford them.

(a secret rumor that has been spreading around Lake Maureen is that a famous Auen car manufacturer, by the name of Hans Julian, has shown interest in building a factory in Lake Maureen.  He might have even come here himself and had a conference with Mckinley about it.  It’s just a rumor though, don’t tell anyone.)

(but if he did build a factory here then maybe cars would become even more numerous!  Still, we shouldn’t spread rumors, shhh!)

Back to the Update . . .

On the topic of car transportation, most of the cars in the area are owned by the wealthy of Wyant landing, on the east side of solace Bay to the North.  A cheap dirt road has been made more out of necessity than anything to that neighborhood.  And, interestingly enough, despite the tension between Solace Bay and Lake Maureen, the wealthy people of Wyant’s landing often joyride to Lake Maureen and shop in the nice shops and dine at the restaurants.  The Wyant Brothers themselves never come here though.  Too much crap between them and this town.

The last major project undertaken by Mckinley in his first year in office is not completed yet.  The isthmus that Lake Maureen and Solace Bay sit on is the only thing separating the oceanic trade routes from the Lake Audra trade routes.  This isthmus has often been traversed by fur traders in the past, but any other traffic is too large to navigate the forests.  Mckinley in the hopes of opening up more trade and busniess for his town, has begun building a road through the woods to the small settlement of Havalina on the shores of Lake Audra.  

regionlabeled-1.jpg?t=1270336196

This project has proved tedious, because it required him to purchase the land that the road will be built on and hire a crew to clear the land for the road.  Yet, with all the previous land purchases, the schoolhouse, the park, and the construction of the causeway road, he pretty much used up the first year’s tax money.  He then took it upon himself and some of the Business Association members to fund the Havalina road project. 

roadcloseup.jpg?t=1270336148

It should be finished by the end of the year, and should be level and sturdy enough to allow light truck traffic.  McKinley eventually wishes to pave it to allow heavier traffic.  He hopes that it will not only bring trade and business to the region, but also inhabitants.  Only time will tell . . .

Eldaldo

The Rail Line that links the Iron Hills Mine to Solace Bay is now complete!

regionLabelledtrain.jpg?t=1270010800

Construction was finished a kilometer south of the Nior Renau Settlement earlier this month.  Below is a Picture of the final Rails being laid.  

lastfewtracks.jpg?t=1270010888

Also, a very rare water llama was sighted at the completion of the construction.

rarellama.jpg?t=1270010942

This was taken as a sign of good luck and the future prosperity that the rail connection will bring to the Solace bay Co. 

The first train of iron ore ran the line earlier today.  The preparations are being made for even more excavation of the mine. 

newminingoperation.jpg?t=1270010998

And in addition, an entirely new factory sector has been built near the rail lines west of the main factory sector.

closeupnewfactorysector.jpg?t=1270011046

Worker’s housing is being quickly built to try and house all the new workers that are moving in to fill the plentiful jobs in the area.  

overview.jpg?t=1270011078

Lastly, the completion of a rail line allows for lumbering to begin anywhere along the rail line and then for the timber to be shipped via train to the mills and factories in Solace Bay.  The main operation has already approached the settlement of Windram, and the quarters for the actual lumberjacks has been moved here for now.

windram.jpg?t=1270011136

Nearly all the property in Windram is owned by the Wyant Brothers, but it does have a few privately owned lots.  Also, a small community has grown up around housing an auxiliary mill and the lumberjacks who are temporarily living here while doing their best to de-forest the region.

Eldaldo

Dtown.jpg?t=1269836428

Excerpt from Solace Bay Co Board Meeting, November 16 1908,

Headquarters.jpg?t=1269836470

A little background about the Solace Bay Co executive Board.  It is made up of 9 people.  Four executive managers from various Solace Bay departments (Lumber, Mining, and two factory managers), and two wealthy investors who live and own businesses in the wealthy neighborhood of Wyant Landing across the bay (shown below).

WyantLanding.jpg?t=1269836512

Also on the Board, The Vice President of Solace Bay Co, Daniel Johnson, and the Wyant brothers of course.  Daniel Johnson has been with the company since 1899 and rose quickly to VP through many displays of brilliance and wisdom. He is the spokesman of the board and runs the meetings and has recently through his persuasiveness and subtlety has become a mediator between the brothers.  He is by far the third most important person in the settlement.)

bishop_white.gif

Daniel: Well, the next order of business are  the recent North Shore Disturbances.

neighborhoods.jpg?t=1269836675

Since the erosion issue threatened a block of homes in this neighborhood, there have been repeated disturbances between Higher level employees and residents of the neighborhood.  As per Robert’s suggestion, we will be giving all factory employees (which includes 97% of the North Shore residents) the day off for Paidrig Cassidy Day coming up next week.

(nods and grunted agrement from the rest of the board)

James: As I said before, won’t this just upset those who don’t get the day off?

Robert: James, you know that the lumberjacks get a day off every time they complete a sector, and the rail employees have been promised a week’s paid vacation once the rail line is complete.  The factory workers have no such incentive, and I feel that they need at least something to look forward to in order to keep them productive.

James:  But this does nothing to address the rowdy workers in the North Shore neighborhood . . .

(in the end Robert got his way)

. . . . . . .

Daniel:  Next up, we have the chartering issue.  Now, we are nearing the population cap of being declared a city, but still have not yet chartered with the federal government.  Now I realise that this is done in order to keep government regulations out of the way we run our business, but the legal benefits of being a town may outweigh the disadvantages.  We would be able to collect taxes from our workers on top of the rent paid to us for their homes, we would have legal power equal to that of our good friends (cough) to the south, Lake Maureen.  And we could possibly get government funding for public works such as the rail link to the iron hills mine.  We could also create a tax funded police force instead of hiring guards. Etc etc.

Mr. Investro McWealtherson: Doesn’t there need to be an elected Town government if we were to charter Solace Bay?

Lumber guy:  Yeah, how would we keep ourselves in control of things if they elected some idiot of their own to mayor or town council. 

Robert:  I feel like this is all about making things look like Auen wants them, but maintaining actual control ourselves.  We can hold elections like we said, but for the highest executive positions we can require a written exam.  This is a very reasonable thing to expect from a town official, but most of our workers can’t write.  As for those who can, we merely need to have the Solace Bay board grade the exams and we can ensure that we are the primary candidates.  We can also place some of the workers on the city council so that everything looks good on paper, but we will still maintain actual control of the city.

(enthusiastic grunts from the board)

James: I must say brother, you do have some good ideas.  Let’s start this chartering business as soon as possible.

. . . . . . .

Daniel:  The rail line from Solace bay is proceeding at a good speed.  The clearing and leveling of land is, as always the slowest part of the process.  The rail is now past the settlement of Windram and getting close to Nior Renau on our side.   On the Iron Hills side, the rail is now Nearing woodlot sector 56. 

RaillineapprochingNiorReanau.jpg?t=12698

The Rail is expected to finish on schedule in the beginning of 1909.

. . . . . . .

Daniel: Ok, Last Item of Business, the erosion issue has been researched, discussed, and a solution has been agreed upon. 

Just to recap, Trees were found to be most economical as we already pull many small trees out of the ground during out ongoing lumber operations,

treecutting.jpg?t=1269837117

we only need to sacrifice several groups of workers and a few personnel trucks to transport these small trees to the shore to be planted. 

566x228_history_30.jpg

It is estimated to be the fastest and most cost effective solution for the erosion issue.  The disadvantage is that it will take several years for the trees to become perfectly effective.

Rocks are the next most cost effective, but cost considerably more since they must be transported from the mine to the bay by boat at this point.  Every boatload of rocks means one less boatload of ore for profit or rails for the Iron Hills Rail line.  Also, mining machinery must be used to transport the rocks to the boats in the first place. 

Thames_gravel_barge.jpg

Thus the increased labor and redirection of heavy equipment increases the cost of rocks over trees threefold.  Yet, the benefits include immediate relief from erosion and some reclamation of the land lost already.

A seawall, while clearly the most effective and long lasting solution has been deemed economically unfeasible at this point of heavy investment of funds in new factory development and the rail line.  Yet, a point was brought up by Myself, that once the rail line is complete and we increase our mining output alongside our factory output, a full sized seaport will need to be built to accommodate the increased production.  Thus we can focus on dumping fill and rocks to protect the factory sector of the bay in such a way as to accommodate a future seaport.  And, when construction of the seaport begins, we can re-evaluate the cost effectiveness of a seawall.

Thus, the final conclusion was to plant trees where erosion will have the least detriment to the settlement, and to dump rocks and fill where property damage is a severe risk, with an emphasis on the factory sector as preparations for construction of a new seaport, sometime in the next year or two.

Work has already begun, and should be finished before the end of the year and the worst winter storms.

Here is a picture of some progress of the planting

treeplanting.jpg?t=1269837027

Here is a picture of the earthworks being built by the factory sector.

Factorysectorrocks.jpg?t=1269837075

. . . . . .

Daniel:  Well, It looks as if that is all on the adgenda for today.  I hereby declare the November 16th, Board meeting of the Solace Bay Lumber Co.  for the fiscal year 1908 Adjourned. 

Eldaldo

Solace bay Meet the Ocean

RegionMap3-1.jpg?t=1269560001

The last time we left Robert and James Wyant of the Solace Bay Co. they had just had a land deal stolen out from under them by the new official town of Lake Maureen.  While this infuriated them and they are certainly scheming to find a way to repay Lake Maureen for this trick, something much more urgent has come to their attention. 

Through the efforts of the Solace Bay Co. lumber division, over the past ten years, nearly all the trees surrounding the settlement* have been removed shore.jpg?t=1269559080

*(despite it's 8,000 workers, Solace Bay was never officially chartered and is legally not a town so I will call it a settlement for now). 

And the stumps left in the ground have been rotting away as time moves on.  

stumps-1e.jpg?t=1269559130

This wouldn't really matter to Robert and James, except that over the past year (1907-1908), in perhaps an attempt at payback for the slaughtering of the forests, the North Ocean has brutally eroded the shoreline of Solace bay . . .

erosion.jpg?t=1269559191

At first the Inhabitants didn't really concern themselves with it, but after a recent storm several tons of the settlement's growing dump washed into the sea scattering the shorelines with all sorts of filth. 

gbage-1.jpg?t=1269559467

Also, the storm washed out a large section of beach near some worker's shacks and now two of them could be washed away with the next big storm. 

homes-1.jpg?t=1269559545

In just one year the shore has eroded by 30m in the worst places, at this rate, in just two years, hundreds of homes, half of the power plant, and several factories will be gone.  With the winter of 1908 approaching and certainly the worst storms of the year approaching, the whole town of Solace bay is uneasy as to what will happen.  Normally, the Wyant brothers wouldn't concern themselves with environmental issues, but with the workers in a frenzy over this and large amounts of their property at risk they must act quickly. 

Unfortunately, this has not happened because things are going badly between them.  It seems that over the past few months a rift has separated Robert and James.  It started as little disagreements over decisions on factory operations and property management.  Robert wanted to focus on finishing the rail before expanding their local factories, and James wanted to build as much as possible regardless of how long the rail link would take to finish.  Workers were upset about their working conditions.  James thought force was the solution, and Robert thought big talk coupled with minimal action and investments was the solution. But, it all boiled over when Lake Maureen Chartered and stopped the sale of depreciated farms to the Solace Bay co.  James was so furious that he wanted to bribe the Inakaye Government to force Lake Maureen to give them the land, but Robert disagreed.  While he was angry as well, he wisely stated that Lake Maureen relies on Solace Bay a great deal for its livelihood, and that an opportunity would eventually arise that would allow the Solace Bay co. to get what it wanted.  This difference in attitude between the brothers has infuriated James, who has a temper, and Robert who is perpetually levelheaded has failed to see the significance of James' rage, which just makes James even angrier.  It has gotten to the point where the two of them hardly interact anymore save for board meetings where they often fight. 

James spends many nights alone in their mansion

Wantmansion-1.jpg?t=1269559832

while Robert works all day and sleeps nights at the office. 

Headquarters-1.jpg?t=1269559783

In the author's opinion I feel that perhaps James feels neglected by his brother.  They started this business together, and now that they have succeeded, Robert refuses to enjoy any of it with him and just wishes to keep working as hard as ever, often without even considering James' opinion on business matters.  Robert on the other hand feels like James no longer devotes himself to the business and feels he has to pick up his brother's slack by working extra hard. 

It is an ugly situation and it is placing a huge delay on making any sort of decision for this problem.  But, after a small worker outburst in the neighborhood that is about to be swallowed by the ocean, Robert has called an emergency meeting of the board.  It began this morning and is still going on right now at midnight.  Of course, Robert and James have different opinions.  James thinks that a seawall should be built. 

Robert thinks that such a project is too expensive, especially with the costs they have incurred with the ongoing Iron Hills Rail Link, and the new factory construction that has already started despite his fervent disapproval.  The addition of a huge seawall project may force the company to have to start mortgaging it's properties to pay for it.  Robert suggests (almost ironically), that trees be planted to stop the erosion, they were what stopped erosion before and they can stop it again.  He also thinks that It could perhaps help with the heavy air pollution of the area, thus serving as a double solution. 

Another point that has been brought up during the meeting is that the Iron Hills Mine has excavated alot of large rocks, and that perhaps these rocks can be piled into a sort of rock-seawall.

Headquartersnite-1.jpg?t=1269559902

The board meeting rages on, and of course in the end, Robert and James make the final call, but if you were on the board, what would you suggest?

Eldaldo

Homesteading Heroes

This update has a lot of stories.  I didn’t expect it to be so long when I started writing it, but then it ended up being huge.  Hope you enjoy it anyway.  Some of these people are going to be important in the future of the region, so maybe it is cool to have a record of where they came from.   

RegionMap3-1.jpg?t=1269182296

Since the founding of Inakaye homesteading has been an official and encouraged practice by the Inakaye government.  In the beginning, the Inakaye government granted homesteads of 175 acres and then allowed the settlers to claim any 175 acres they wanted so long as it was at least three miles from any already established towns.  Any land within the three mile radius of a town (any federally chartered community of people) or ten mile radius of a city (at least 12,000 residents for a town to become a city) had to be purchased through the usual process of deeds etc.  another condition of homesteading in Inakaye was that you had to agree to develop the land in some way.  This was largely up to interpretation but essentially meant you had to live on the land, you couldn’t just buy a homestead and then live in Mariston, for example.

In the 1890’s the Inakaye government went through the enormous task of mapping the entire continent and recording the locations and sizes of all the current properties.  This took almost 6 years to accomplish, but it allowed the government to grant specific parcels of land to homesteaders.  At this point in history, land in Inakaye was pretty worthless and often settlers would just trudge off into the wilderness and set up homesteads without going through the government.  While this was officially illegal, it was not strongly enforced except in the higher density areas where most of the land was already owned.

Homesteads played possibly the most important role in settling the continent.  Many important settlements started as homesteads.  Mariston started as a homestead, and Robert and James Wyant, Owners of the Solace Bay Company were homesteading when they founded the Solace Bay company. 

Today we will look at some homesteads near Solace Bay and talk briefly about their owners.  Here is a region map focused around the Cape Winston Area.  Here you can see four homesteads that have been present in the area for at least a generation now. 

Regionlabeled-1.jpg?t=1269181796

Coolidge

The first we will look at is the Coolidge place.  This is the “newest” homestead that was not associated with the growth of the Cape Winston settlement. 

CoolidgeHomestead.jpg?t=1269181842

David Coolidge moved to this homestead In 1875, when Cape Winston was merely a fishing village of about 30 residents.  He came alone a young man, leaving his family in the small Allegheny River Valley town of Holbrook for Duluth.  He spent all of three weeks in Duluth before he realised that city life and factory work were not for him.  He then bought a homestead permit from the Duluth city hall and set out with a group of fur traders into the vast lake Audra.  When they reached the Ribcage Isles, he was amazed at their beauty and decided to settle in the bay he currently lives in (now known as Coolidge bay).   He began by clearing land and planting potatoes, which was a good staple food and sustained him along with a diet of fish and hunted animals. 

As Cape Winston grew, he was able to trade and expand his crops to apples and some livestock, which was impressive given the amounts of predators in the region.  He still makes a trip to Cape Winston at least twice a year by boat where he’s known affectionately by the townsfolk as “Grizzled Dave.”  He never married and has no children, but his steadfastness to his farm and his kindly demeanor earn him respect to the point where people don’t question his decision to stay a lonely dude.

Hudson and Nelson

The next two Homesteads are interesting because they were the site of one of the first tragic disputes in the area.  Below you can see Roland Bay, the bay that lies south of Cape Winston.  The homestead on the left is the Nelson Homestead, and the one on the right is the Hudson Homestead. 

Rolandbay.jpg?t=1269181958

These two families moved to the area around 1871.  They were quite friendly to each other and were always willing to lend a hand when one family needed help.  They would travel together to Cape Winston when they wanted to trade, and they would often celebrate holidays together.  However, the two patriarchs of the families, Earl Nelson and Lyle Hudson died within months of each other in the summer of 1893. 

The new patriarchs were Paul Hudson and Jeff Nelson, and by the end of 1893, things had already begun to go sour.  Growing up, Jeff had always picked on Paul, and Paul never forgave him for it.  So now that he was in charge, he gave the Nelson family the cold shoulder.  The Hudson’s would “forget” to celebrate birthdays with the Nelson’s, and the Nelson’s wouldn’t take things to Cape Winston for the Hudson’s like they used to.  Pretty soon, there was absolutely no interaction between the two families.  And, in 1899, something happened that made the families bitter enemies. 

A rare five-toed llama had been seen in the woods between the two homesteads.  This species of llama had the finest coat of any llama save the rare northern Inakaye water llama (what initially made the Wales region so famous among fur traders).  Certainly one pelt could buy a herd of lesser llamas.  Thus, once it was spotted both families kept their rifles at hand and kept their eyes open for an opportunity to trap or shoot it.  It was a warm fall day when Paul Hudson spotted the llama tramping towards the Nelson farm and slowly started following it to try and get a good shot at it.  He followed it right on to the Nelson homestead and just as the Nelson’s had spotted it, he shot it and he and his sons came out to drag it back to their home.  Well, Jeff Nelson was so furious that he came up to Paul and told him he would build a fence to keep Hudson scum off of his homestead, and that if he ever saw another Hudson on his property, he would shoot them for trespassing.  This led to a fist fight so brutal that the two men had to be pried apart by their sons.  Pretty soon two walls were built to permanently separate the families. 

But, wouldn’t you know it, Paul’s youngest son Jake Hudson had caught the eye of the young Genevieve Nelson.  These two kids developed a fervent love for each other in spite of the hostilities of their respective families.  It was a Romeo and Juliet story to the core.  The two would take to sneaking out at night to meet in the space between the fences.  They became so preoccupied with each other that their families started to notice that something was different. 

One night Jake Hudson’s brother, Rob, followed Jake and found out what he was doing at night.  Rob Told his father Jake was meeting a Nelson and the next day, Jake was watched like a fox.  His family kept close watch to ensure that he could not go and fraternize with their enemies.  He began hatching a plan to escape.  Before bed one night he rigged the pig pen to open should there be any significant wind.  He figured that if some night the pigs could escape they would make a bunch of noise and everyone would wake up to herd them back and he could escape to go find Genevieve.  Well, that night the pigs did not escape, but Jake began rigging the pen every night, and after a week of nothing happening, it worked.  The family awoke to the chaos of pigs running wild around the property, and rushed out to collect them.  Jake then grabbed a knife, a loaf of bread and a coat and ran as fast as he could to go find Genevieve.  He found her sitting crying in the spot that they always met, it turns out that she had still come every night hoping so deeply that he just might come that night.  When he found her they embraced each other with warm tears and Jake spoke of the urgency of the situation.  Genevieve needed no convincing that they should to run away from this awful dispute, and make a new life together.  So they hiked to the Nelson property shore where they stole a canoe and headed off north up  the lake without any destination other than far from Roland Bay. 

It was actually some time before all the pigs were collected.  In fact the sun had just begun to rise on the new day when the Hudson’s noticed that Jake was neither asleep in the house, or out helping with the pigs.  Paul knew immediately what had happened and went to the fence to try and find his son and scold him for associating with Nelsons.  When he didn’t find him there, he feared that Jeff Nelson had found out and killed him, so he entered the nelson property and called out to the nelson cabin, where the Nelson family was currently in an uproar over the disappearance of their youngest and most beautiful daughter.  Jeff Nelson seeing Paul outside his house and figuring that the Hudson’s had done something with their daughter, grabbed his rifle in a rage and stepped outside and shot Paul Hudson dead.  It was a day before both families found out what had happened. 

The sad truth, along with the murder of Paul hung like a dark fog in the air.  And, once other settlers in the area heard about the murder of Paul Hudson, they held a camp meeting to discuss the fate of Jeff Nelson.  They decided that he should be left alive, but be given food and money and a boat and exiled from the region.  However, if he ever returned to the region then the people would have the right to kill him.  Thus, the Hudson/Nelson feud ended in tragedy and the two families have decided to begin the process of reconciliation.  Today there is a sad peace between the families that lacks all the joy of their former friendship.  This story became something of a local legend around Cape Winston, and is noted as the first crime and subsequent judicial ruling of the Solace Bay/Ribcage Isles region.

What happened to Jake and Genevieve you might ask?  It turns out that they made it across the lake to the northern shore where they hiked to the then community of Lake Maureen,.  There they worked on farms until they had enough money to buy a farm of their own.  Because they desired to distance themselves from their past, they changed their name to Newson, as in a “New“ beginning.  Neither of them knows what happened because of their actions, hopefully they never will find out . . .  Here is a picture of the Newson farm near the southh shore of Lake Maureen in 1908. 

newsonfarmstead.jpg?t=1269181998

Lastanksa

A common story in Homesteading is a homestead that is set up and cultivated for a time, but then due to the harshness of the lifestyle or some tragedy the homestead is then abandoned.  Here is the abandoned Lastanksa Homestead, located just north of the Ribcage Isles.  You can see how quickly nature is reclaiming the land. 

Abandoned.jpg?t=1269182032

Gordon Lastanksa set up this homestead in 1868.  His son Harrison, born 1870 stayed on to keep up the homestead when he died in 1890.  Harrison ran the farm well and married Vera Delzan whose family homesteaded several miles east of the Lastanska homestead.  They had a wonderful family together until Vera and their three youngest children died of Influenza in winter 1903.  The next spring, Harrison and his only remaining child Randall Lastanska abandoned the homestead out of grief and moved even further east into the eastern frontier settlements that were being founded at the time.  It is a sad but very common story among homesteaders.

Burton

The last homestead to look at is The Burton homestead.  This Homestead is the oldest in the region.  Jaocab Burton was the first non explorer to come to this region.  He brought his family from the very young Auen in 1806.  It is very possible the Burton Homestead was the easternmost human settlement at the time.  Burton Mountain was named so by Jaocab, and it is possible that he was the first human to see it.  He settled on the shores of Lake Audra within sight of his mountain, and fought desperately to make the land produce.

burtonmountain.jpg?t=1269182150 

According to family lore, it was twenty years before they saw another person pass the Homestead.  Fur trading far and wide from Auen began in the 1820’s so it is very possible that this is true.  Jaocab was an old man by this time, and his children had taken over running the farmstead.  However, one by one they began to leave to start families of their own.  It was only his middle son Jaocab Jr. who brought a wife back to the farm and continued to cultivate it. 

Jaocab Jr. apparently left the farm and spent three years with the fur traders before he fell in love with a daughter of a homestead near where Arnett is today.  One time while he was traveling by her homestead they decided to get married and move to the Burton homestead.  It is Jaocab Jr’s grandson, Jeremiah, who now is the eldest Burton in charge of the farm, though he is getting ready to pass on the farm to his eldest son Elijah Burton. 

Jeremiah is a slightly bitter man, though formally friendly.   If you talk to him he will tell you how, in his youth, you could go months without seeing a boat pass by on the lake, but now that settlers have moved even farther east, you can hardly go a week, sometimes days without seeing a boat pass by the farm.  And, he will tell you an anger tinged story of how just last month a group of men came through the forest with a pack llama looking for a good place to set up a lumber mill.  Yes, things are changing in the whole region, people are crowding themselves in, and distances are getting much shorter.  Jeremiah’s son Elijah met his wife in Cape Winston, she was the daughter of a store clerk there.  This was a minor point of strife for Jeremiah who thought his son should find a good homesteader like every other Burton did (except all the ones who left for other places, but they don’t exist to Jeremiah anymore).  Currently Jeremiah and his wife Carole, their daughters Karrie and Rebecca, Elijah and his wife and kids, and Jeremiah’s youngest son David live at the homestead in its two cabins.

BurtonHomestead.jpg?t=1269182235

You can also the massive barn that Jeremiah built when he was a young man.  This building that houses their livestock and work animals was Jeremiah’s greatest achievement.  We can only hope that the Burton family with all its rich history in the region will remain prosperous long into the future . . .

That certainly was a lot of reading.  If you made it this far, thanks for reading!  See you next time!

Eldaldo

Lake Maureen Gets Official

Region Map

RegionMap3-1.jpg?t=1268891203

(Author’s note: It has been a while since the last update because I wrote an update about Mariston, but then decided that switching so frequently between storylines is too confusing.  When I started out, the cities all interacted with each other, but now each region is big enough to grow independently from the others.  So I have decided to stick with one city until I feel enough has passed that I might focus on another one for a while.  Currently I am really interested in Solace Bay, and so for now I will focus on that region.)

Lake Maureen began as a group of farms south the logging town of Solace Bay,  Its name comes from the freshwater lake that sits south of the bay.  As time passed it became its own separate community of people making a living by growing food for themselves and primarily for the workers of Solace Bay.  As Solace Bay grew, so did lake Maureen.  While Solace Bay and Lake Maureen are very close in proximity, there is a huge difference between the two and it has to do with ownership.  In Solace Bay, Every piece of property was owned by the Solace Bay co., but in Lake Maureen each piece of property was owned by whomever was occupying or using it.  This is the central point of this entire post today.   

Here is a picture of Lake Maureen  in 1908 (about 6 Months after the last update)

overviewlabeled.jpg?t=1268891430

As you can see the area is almost entirely farmland with two larger residential areas.  The residential corridor of Lake Maureen houses some farmers, shop owners, and some of the luckier Solace Bay workers who were able to save enough money to build their own house and commute to work by ferry.  This kind of lifestyle is getting harder and harder to accomplish as the working conditions get worse and worse in Solace Bay.

The only Non-agricultural establishment in the South Shore community is Evanson’s Distillery.  Every Factory Town needs a good supply of liquor to take the edge off the crappy life one leads in a factory town.  Olaf Evanson has been making fine whiskey for over 30 years and his distillery has been supplying the region for the past ten. 

EvansonDistillery.jpg?t=1268891557

His son Knute wishes to expand the business when his father retires and make beer as well, since this is the beverage he is most fond of.  He has already started growing hops and barley and has made one mediocre batch of beer.  Hopefully he’ll get it right next time.

In “downtown” Lake Maureen There are two old barns that have been converted into markets and warehouses.  This area is known as the Town Square. 

Downtowncloselabeled.jpg?t=1268891604

Here, every week, farmers from the area bring their goods to sell to buyers from the Solace Bay co.  often times the Solace Bay men do their best to cheat the farmers, but this is the way the relationship between the two towns has always been.  The farmers grow what they can and then get what they can for it, and in this wilderness a little goes a long way, so the relationship continues. 

Yet recently things have been getting worse . . .

splice3.jpg?t=1268891644

As you can see from this larger overview, the distance between lake Maureen and the sprawling Solace Bay Slums has shrunk to only four farms between them.  These farms have recently been experiencing pollution and midnight looting of their crops from residents of the Solace Bay slums and are looking to sell their land because it is no longer profitable.  (Sorry about the bad splice, I am using a free program called image J and it is really difficult to get it perfect, this was the best I could do for now.)

Furthermore, with the ongoing building of the rail link between Solace bay and the Iron Hills Mine, the Wyant Brothers have been eager to buy up land in anticipation of the new factories (and subsequent workers homes) they will build once the train starts bringing iron ore into the town.  Thus they are eager to get their hands on these farms.  It has now been a week since the Solace Bay co. offered the two farms on the very border of the slums, the Effie farm and the Gorbach farm, a decent sum of money for the land. 

When word of this reached the ears of Lake Maureen residents there was a nervous shockwave that went through the town.  All of the sudden, the Solace Bay Co. was too close for comfort.  The townspeople cleared some space in one of the barns in the town square and held an emergency town meeting to figure out what to do.  The first thing they did was designate the barn they were in as the official meeting hall of the Lake Maureen area.

Meetinghall.jpg?t=1268891702

Up until now there was no official government in the area.  The federal Inakaye government collected property taxes and sold deeds for unsettled or unowned land, but other than that, the sims had to work things out for themselves.  Thus, it was decided at this first town meeting that it was time to acquire an official town charter from the government.  This would mean an unfortunate additional tax, but would also mean that the Solace Bay Co. couldn’t buy any land within the Town limits without dealing with the town government first, and thus allowed for the prevention of Solace Bay slums from spreading any further south. 

Messengers were sent to the Effie and Gorbach farms pleading with them to sign the town charter and include their land within the town limits.   Vague promises were made that the future town of Lake Maureen would buy the property from them and give them new land further away from Solace Bay.  Since these two families identified much more with the town of Lake Maureen than with Solace Bay, they agreed to join the cause. 

A man by the name of McKinley Morganfield (pictured below) left for Auen by boat the next morning with the signed charter (really just a bunch of Xs, none of these sims have ever been near a school).  McKinley was designated as the impromptu leader of the town as his family was one of the oldest in the town, and he had been the most influential in decision making during the town meeting.  He was also one of the few residents of the town who could write.

MuddyWaters.gif

Mckinley Morganfield

McKinley himself owned a general store in town, but the family farm had grown from one single plot to the three surrounding it over the years.  McKinley’s brother Jacob was still in charge of the main farmstead.

MorganfieldFarmstead.jpg?t=1268891802

With the Steamships getting faster every year, it was only a week before McKinley returned with the official charter from the Inakaye Government denoting the Lake Maureen area as an incorporated town. 

townlimits.jpg?t=1268891857

The Town limits included the properties of everyone who signed the charter, which, being mostly farmers caused the area to be quite large.  The town of Lake Maureen was now technically much larger in size than Solace Bay even though the population was less than half of Solace Bay’s.

There were apparently no issues with the charter at all since the Government is extremely eager to encourage growth in the east and Lake Maureen is now one of the easternmost towns after Wales.  This also gives the federal government a local government to work through if need be.  Thus, the town of lake Maureen came into being . . . Officially.

When news of this reached the Wyant Brothers at the Solace Bay Co. they became furious that this settlement went behind their backs and stole land right out from their noses.  This did not bode well for the relationship between the two towns . . .

Lastly, Mckinley Morganfield was elected the first mayor of Lake Maureen.  He was honored by the office and swore not only to keep the town from becoming slums, but also to improve the current conditions in the town.  When he made the trip west, he saw the civilization and culture of Mariston and Auen and was amazed.  The sheer number of conveniences (like flushing toilets, cars, and hot water) made him desirous of bringing these things to his town.  He decided that the most important thing was education.  Thus his first order of business as mayor was to cunstruct the Lake Maureen School in the middle of the town square.  It was quite small and quick to build, but would allow many of the children in the “downtown” area to be educated.

Schoolhouse.jpg?t=1268891913

He also plans on creating a city treasury with which to buy up more land that surrounds the town. 

That is all for now, Until Next Time!

Eldaldo

Rail Comes to Solace Bay

Western Inakaye

InakayewestcoastSolacebayupdate.jpg?t=12

Close Up of Region

RegionMap3-1.jpg?t=1268196738

Five years have passed since the last update and it is 1907.

Iron Hills Mine

Mine.jpg?t=1268196811

As you can see the mining operations in the Iron hills north of Burton Mountian have greatly increased.  And while The Solace Bay Co. purchased the heaviest duty trucks available in the country to transport the ore to the dock on the coast,  the amount of ore being mined exceeds the capacity of the current system.  Robert Wyant has brought this up to his brother and the rest of the company board and has proposed a rail line be placed between the mine and solace bay.  While it is quite expensive, this would not only allow for the mining operations to be expanded, but would also allow for expanded logging operations along the coast.  Solace Bay as well could open up smelting facilities and iron works.  This would see the expansion of the Solace Bay Co. into whole new industries, and unheard of profits.

The plan was unanimously approved and construction has already started on the rail lines.  Below is a picture of the future route.

Raillinepath.jpg?t=1268197023

The construction first started on the Iron Hills side,  because there was plenty of room to work.  Below is a close of of where the progress is and a picture of the actual construction in progress.

RegionMap3-1smallrailprogresshighli.jpg?

Railconstruction.jpg?t=1268197115

Here is a current Picture of Solace bay.

SolacebayConstruction.jpg?t=1268197170

Here is a picture of the construction of the railway.  Many Worker houses were knocked down to construct the rail, and as you can see, there are several still in the way that will soon be demolished.  No compensation was given to the workers whose houses were demolished, they were merely relocated across the town.  There are many disgruntled rumors about these actions among the workers.

SolaceBayconstrucitioncloseup.jpg?t=1268

Yet the Wyant brothers are deaf to these rumors for now, and so their industrial machine churns onward . . .

Eldaldo

InakayewestcoastSolacebayupdate.jpg?t=12

In the last post we looked at how Mariston developed into a major Inakaye port in the fifteen years between 1887 and 1902.  Now we will look at how Solace Bay developed in a different sort of way. 

RegionMap3-1.jpg?t=1268120098

Solace Bay is located at the isthmus between the North Ocean (connected somehow to the Sim Atlantic Ocean) and the Great Lake Audra.  As was said before, Solace bay is a smaller bay within the Larger bay of Wake’s Bay.  It was here that The Solace Bay Lumber company started Logging local lumber and sending it north to build the town of Wales. 

Around 1890 the Wyant brothers built many new factories that made their lumber into ready made products like furniture and tools.  These they sold to Auen, Duluth, and the then budding town of Mariston.  Thus increasing their market threefold. 

Also around this time the farms that had been set up south of Solace Bay started to form another community.  A cluster of small houses on the inlet that separates Lake Maureen from Solace Bay started to be known as the town of Lake Maureen.  Whereas nearly the entire town of Solace Bay was owned by the Wyant Brothers, Lake Maureen was independent, and consisted almost entirely of farmers and fishermen,   Here is an early photo of Lake Maureen.

LakeMaureen-29May011266564808.jpg?t=1268

By 1895 the Inakaye government had mapped and parceled out most of the northern half of the continent and were intent on selling it for the purpose of populating it (and then being able to tax that population of course).  Homesteads were now purchase-able at cheap prices for families.  And larger tracts of land could be purchased under the condition that they would be developed in a time frame approved by the government.  

Thus, the Wyant brothers who had made close to a million dollars on their business purchased most of the coast west of solace bay.  Their intentions were to log this entire region and sell it to the rich as chairs and banisters at an exhorbitant price.  Solace Bay Lumber Co. men had also noticed a visible vein of iron on a slope of the nearby Burton Mountain.

Lumbercolandholdings.jpg?t=1268120166

fes.jpg?t=1268120199

Robert Wyant, ever looking to expand business, immediately purchased the land and hired men from the casaba Iron ranges west of Duluth to come and asses this site.  It turns out that the hills north of the mountain were quite rich with iron ore, and thus Solace Bay Mining came into being. 

The first thing to be built was a dock to transport the workers and materials to the area.

Dock.jpg?t=1268120236

Next a road was built from the site to the mine and an initial shaft was dug and a building constructed around it.

Beginningofmine.jpg?t=1268120271

Lastly some shacks were constructed for the initial dig team who would reinforce the shaft and extract the first ore from the mine.

Minefirstdevelopment.jpg?t=1268120300

By this time it was 1902 and the first load of ore had been dug from the mine.  It was meager, but it shipped off to a factory in Mariston and marks the beginning of greater things for the Solace Bay co.

Robert and James had until now lived in a shack in downtown area of Solace Bay in order to be as close as possible to the goings on of their company.  They were quite the true capitalists viewing opulence as needless money spent.  However, the town itself was becoming unlivable due to the thick smoke coming from the factories.  Also, The level of their wealth at this point surpasses that of anyone save the elite of Auen, Duluth, or Mariston.  And James had begun to take on a change of heart towards things.  He convinced Robert to move across the bay, and for them to build a large house for themselves so that they could entertain visits from the wealthy of the cities they sold their goods to.  This way they could attract more investment to their business and perhaps further expand it.  Thus, the Wyant Landing was cleared and developed, and the Wyant estate was built.

SolacebayCloseup.jpg?t=1268120697Wyantlanding.jpg?t=1268120348

This move did not go unnoticed by the workers in the “Solace Bay Slums” as they were called.  There was something encouraging knowing that your boss lived down the road, even if he paid you less than you deserved; there was some sort of equality about it.  Now things were heading in an entirely new direction for the town.

Lastly some views of the region circa 1902 . . .

Here the towns of solace bay and Lake Maureen can be seen on the right and the Solace Bay Mine can be seen in the hills to the far left.  The road to the ocean is the most visible landmark.  (photo a couple years earlier than 1902)

FinalRegionoverview.jpg?t=1268120770

Here is a 1902 overview of downtown solace bay, notice the new lumber mills being built closer to the edge of the forest,

Finalsolacebay-1.jpg?t=1268120805

Here is Lake Maureen at 1902

LakeMaureen-28Dec091267917401.jpg?t=1268

And here is an overview of Cape Winston, a settlement on the shores of Lake Audra, and the closest significant settlement to Solace Bay.  As of now, it is just a small town of farmers and fishermen, fishing for the Lake Audra Silver Trout, quite a delicacy in Duluth.

Capewinstonhighlighted.jpg?t=1268120874

Capewinston.jpg?t=1268120898

Eldaldo

Inakayewestcoastmaristonupdate.jpg?t=126

In 1887, Mariston was a small farming community on the west coast of Inakaye.  But in Just 15 short years the Villiage increased from around 1,000 inhabitants to 15,000, and included a heavy industrial sector with Inakaye's Third largest port after Auen and Duluth.  This is a story of this transition.

Here is a series of images that shows Mariston's development into a larger farming community over the 7 years between 1887 and 1895.

e8a66452.jpg?t=1267316242

2.jpg?t=1267316287

4.jpg?t=1267316339

6.jpg?t=1267316412

each year, a couple dozen families moved to Mariston and set up farms or shops, the growth was quite natural, but in 1892 several important things happened that resulted in the arrival of industry to Mariston. 

First, a native inakaye plant was discovered several years earlier that grew like a grass, had a slightly bitter tasting seed, but had fibrous seed pods like cotton.  This plant (commonly called "cotton grass", scientifically grassus cashcropius) started to become wildly popular for its soft cloth and decent tasting ale made from grinding the seeds and fermenting them.  Since it was native to Inakaye, it grew well in most of the fertile areas of the country.  And, because many of the Mariston farmers grew at least some cotton grass, several textile mills opened up in the city to make "green cloth" or "inakaye silk" as it was sometimes called.  This industry brought in many workers and farmers alike and the population of the region started growing rapidly.

Secondly, backwoods traders and explorers discovered that there was a connection between the Alexandra river and the Great Lake Audra.  the source of the Alexandra river was a marshy swamp northwest of great lake Audra.  it also happened to be the source of a smaller river that led into lake Audra.  This river is Known as the Golashes River.  See map below.

AlexandraRiver.jpg?t=1267318078

While the swamp was inavigable to larger crafts like barges, small boats could navigate it just fine, this meant that there was a direct water connection to the west coast, and with the building of a few locks and some widening of a path trhrough the marsh, it would be posssible for barges to navigate the waterway and make a direct trip from Duluth to Mariston.  This became a source of conflict within the Inakaye government, seated in Auen.  The Businessmen of Auen had spent a few million dollars on constructing a rail link between Duluth and Auen and were desirous of maintaining a monopoly on their trade.  They were currently a middleman selling Duluth goods at a higher price to the rest of the west coast and the rest of the world, than if duluth had a trade route directly to these places.  Yet, the Businessmen of Duluth Were desirous of expanding their markets to the north and perhaps the rest of the world, a water route to the west coast would make that possible.  Thus the Auen government tried to stop any progress developing the water route, but the Duluth corporations began looking to make their own plans.

This discovery nonetheless made Mariston important for small items trade (like fur trading), and increased the traffic through the region, which brought in more businesses and settlers.

In 1895, the population had reached a little over 7,000.  It was this year that the city council erected the first schoolhouse.

7.jpg?t=1267318949

also a medical clinic was opened up.

7a.jpg?t=1267318989

In 1898, a lager Dockyard was put in. Also, this year, wealthy moguls from Duluth bought the swampy marsh from the Inakaye government for a pretty price and began construction on a waterway, it would be completed with the deaths of only a few workers by 1900.

10.jpg?t=1267319154

Here is an overview of the city in 1899

10a.jpg?t=1267319323

The next part of this story takes place in wales . . .

Meanwhile in Wales . . .

In 1898 a hunter who was camping on the plains outside of Wales noticed the ground catch fire around his campfire, in fact the rocks began to burn and the fire got out of control and burned a hole the size of a house in the grassland.  The hunter, named A.J. Grayson, knew exactly what he had discovered and immediately went to the Wales city council and bought a deed for the land.  He then got a local investor to go into business with him in developing Grayson's Oil Field.  below are some pictures of the field and the subsequent development of that field.

13.jpg?t=1267319625

14.jpg?t=1267319650

This new discovery brought all sorts of oild prospectors to the region looking for other oil fields and it also brought a refinery to process the crude oil.  This increase in industry necessitated a larger seaport, which can be seen below,

15.jpg?t=1267319781

This means big things for the growth of Wales! and has quite an effect on Mariston,

Back in Mariston

The source of oil in Wales meant trade of that oil through Mariston to Auen.  It also posed a solution to one of Mariston's bigger problems at the time.  The town by 1898 had increased to the point where its numerous small generators were all over capacity, and the rich people of Mariston could not sit through a dinner without experiencing a brownout.  So a larger plant was needed, and with a steady flow of oil through the city, the city council passed plans for building a small Oil power plant.  It would be placed on the shore next to Mariston's industrial distric which required the most power.  here is a picture of the new plant along with the new zones created around it.

17.jpg?t=1267320145

Thus the industry and population of Mariston continued to increase, and by 1900 the waterway from duluth was finished and barge traffic started coming down the Alexandra river.  All of the sudden the Docks of mariston were overwhelmed with traffic and a real seaport needed to be constructed.  In 1900 the first Industrial shipment from Mariston Port crossed the ocean to Simnation.  Auen all of the sudden had a rival on worldwide trade.  The first ship of immigrants from Simnation directly to Mariston Port arrived in the latter half of 1900, and by 1902, several thousand immigrants had arrived in Mariston bringing it's total population up to 15,276.  Here are two overviews of the downtown and Mariston region.

18.jpg?t=1267320590

19.jpg?t=1267320517

And that, my friends, is how in 15 years a villiage became a major port.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0