• Moose

Columbus, Ohio

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The project to create a realistic replication of the capitol of Ohio.

Entries in this City Journal

WillG_75

Introduction

Hello, I would like to welcome and thank all of you who have followed this project in the City Journals section of the forum. From now on, all updates will be posted in this section of the website.

As a lot of you know, Columbus is my hometown, and this has been a very fascinating, challenging, and at many times, a very frustrating project. I have tried many times to create this city, since SimCity 3000 circa 2002. Due to the oddities in the cities road network, it has been a huge challenge. I have tried, and failed on many occasions, yet with all of those failures, I have learned a lot about how to go about this project. 

I have used map books with measurements, topographic maps, and even based my work on my eyes and instinct (not recommended!!!). But I have found that the best way to go about recreating the road network is using a mixture of Google maps, Photoshop, and MS Paint. I do plan on posting a tutorial on that at a later point. 

To end, I will post up a current region map view. As you can see, German Village's roads are done for the most part. Current technique of making the roads are a lot easier. I was sure to get as many of GV's small streets and alley ways included as possible, as I believe that a lot of GV's character is held in those streets. Therefore, the map does look very cluttered.

60777526.jpg

As always, comments, criticism, and questions welcome!

Night.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0