• Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

My First CJ :)

Entries in this City Journal

Lacey14

Beaver

fcpg9i.jpg

This update is on the very quickly growing area of Avista known as Beaver, It is projected to become Avista's largest Residential area within the next few years. This is mostly due to the fact that it is wedged between Avista and Nearby city of Salem(Population 112,400), the fastest growing city in Avista's Metropolitan area and the second largest city after Avista.

Beaver has a large Commercial area due to it being around the busiest interstate in the area and the fact that it is right next to Salems Downtown.

This area below is part of Beaver/Avista but is known as Salems second downtown.

b5qs68.jpg

This is Beavers well known commercial strip that goes across Beaver Avenue.

a0j89c.jpg

As Commercial Demand in the Beaver area increases, so does the density along Beaver Avenue.

2nixruv.jpg

Beaver is known for its small enclosed communities, red brick/paved

roads, and churches.

zlyxww.jpg

16lecly.jpg

2ex269e.jpg

2ngak4j.jpg

The little bit of Beaver that is lower elevation has canals.

rjhc07.jpg

And while Beaver is very green and has alot of preserved area that has never been developed on, it has very few parks.

Below is one of Beavers only two parks, Archean Park.

It was foggy out, as Beaver has been known to be at night.

eldua8.jpg

The Next update will be on Tuesday most likely and will either feature Megoria, Updates to Downtown, or Avistas largest port.

Lacey14

Medford

Someone rated this CJ a 1 :(

98hhuh.jpg

This update will be covering the Neighborhood of Medford, one of the richest areas of the city(Not including Imperial Living, as its a private neighborhood), but some middle class can get into a few areas still.

Medford has some of the largest parks of the entire Avista area.

f9fjn9.jpg

They weave throughout the neighborhoods...

2ezr778.jpg

kafipf.jpg

Medford is surrounded by the interstate aswell...

25sy44w.jpg

Housing for 80% of Medford is Upper and Upper middle class, with 20 % for Middle and lower Middle class. This is mostly to do with the safety of the canals to take in rain water and help avoid floods.

Upper Middle/Upper Class:

28qqeld.jpg

Small Middle/Lower Middle area of Medford.

35lvx1w.jpg

Since the canal system has been built, many storms have came, but there have been 0 floods.

302rwqd.gif

Some of Medford overlooks the outer parts of Downtown.

o02qgz.jpg

And a very small area of Medford near Milton that is non canal housing.

21oqz5z.jpg

Medford has developed a small commercial center due to population growth.

orp4zl.jpg

What really defines Medford is Avista's largest multiplex.

2a5g9eg.jpg

The Bell tower has also been known to bring tourists.

b6pmv8.jpg

And the reason why this is the destination for old people:

Avista Regional Hospital.

rlgoef.jpg

Thanks for viewing! Please Comment :D

Lacey14

1zxs12h.jpg

Todays update is a boring one! lol.

I have made(to the best of my ability, by hand in photoshop) a map of the Core of Avista(Within 60 minutes or so of downtown depending on transportation) and its many neighborhoods/districts. I will give you a small briefing on each. Tommorow there will be a small update on Kingsford.

Map:

2uiaiyo.jpg

With Neighborhoods shown:

1zn3mmg.jpg

Current Residential Populations:

1: Downtown :: 50,500

2: Medford :: 31,000

3: Beaver :: 27, 500

4: Imperial Living :: 24,000

5: West Rork :: 21,500

6: Kingsford :: 16,500

7: Rafe :: 15,000

8: Rork :: 14,000

9: Megoria :: 13,500

10:  Rockway :: 11,000

11: Milton :: 6,500

12: Lenka :: 4,000

13: Industrial :: 3,500

14: Hilltop :: 2,000

Other areas of Avista that has more than a one hour transportation time to reach downtown(not shown in map):  42,900

= 283,400

The 2003 Population was only 247,500, but due to alot of growth in Medford, Beaver, and Rafe, population has grown substantially in only 7 years.

Avista's Metro area of above 600,000 will be shown later in the CJ's history.

Thankyou  for viewing, There will be a comments entry soon.

The Kingsford update will be posted tommorow or the next day :), here is a teaser of the high culture area.

zwncl.jpg

Lacey14

Big Fat Mosaic Time

2ihr13o.jpg

So, I don't think I will be able to update again until Monday or Tuesday so I am giving the public what they want.... Mosaics lol. So I ahve one really really REALLY big Mosaic lol.

The next update should be on Important areas around Avista.

4jl6j6.jpg

war96u.jpg

1eooqu.jpg

5bobwg.jpg

9a6yvn.jpg

13zrbwi.jpg

2i9nh2e.jpg

29mlqbl.jpg

11v1tur.jpg

14ad2kp.jpg

1yqtys.jpg

wtzxfp.jpg

219opc2.jpg

2hn0r9j.jpg

246jamb.jpg

35hqxs8.jpg

Thanks for Viewing!

Lacey14

School System

2ihr13o.jpg

So this update is just a small quick one on the school system of Avista.

Avista has always had a growing school system that is at a very high standard in most area's.

Avista's Schools have always had a different opinion of what should be taught and when and why, but as there were only two districts they had to conform to the district rules. This caused many strike from teachers and anger from parents in many areas because each area of avista has different views.

So in the mid 90's, Avista's school system began to crumble and the schools broke apart. New districts were formed. Now each district is made up of 1 or 2 elementary schools, 1 high school, and sometimes one community college. This new system has worked well and has given parents the right to choose what they want their kids to learn and at what pace.

Avista now has 8 public School Districts and the Metro area has 23. Avista also has 3 private districts and the Metro area has 7.

Here are a few schools in the area.

"Beaver School District" Found in East Avista

- 874 Students in the District

242x44j.jpg

"Evergreen School District" (The Rich Public one lol) Found in Central Avista

- 1082 Students in the District

w0nk2v.jpg

"Larks School District" (The HS is not in this photo) and "Border Private District 2" (HS also not in this photo) Found in the Upper Downtown area.

- 532 / 189 Students found in the Districts

34ds8sm.jpg

"Whetherton Private K-12" For the rich kids in West Central Avista.

- 162 Students in district

14npn4j.jpg

It may be a while(Few days) for another update, we will see...

Lacey14

Downtown Update

2ihr13o.jpg

As promised, for this update you wll be seeing the main parts of downtown, although a big chunk of commercial services and offices are through shopping centers and office parks. You will also see some apartment buildings that integrated into downtown as it was lower elevation and cheaper for developers.

"Core"

x1haud.jpg

"North Downtown"

einymq.jpg

"Downtown Current Expansion West"

1252xyq.jpg

2v92ipy.jpg

jqkmwy.jpg

330wfw1.jpg

2ilztk.jpg

2vam4ah.jpg

29ny0ao.jpg

vcqneu.jpg

9iv8kx.jpg

xfvvno.jpg

Lacey14

Downtown Teaser

2mngdhf.jpg

So today, I was going to show you a small mosaic of downtown... but it was cloudy out that night, you guys will have to use your imagination some.

I know how downtowns are what alot of you want to see, so thats what the next update will be based on :)

2q8dm4l.jpg

2i9jbiu.jpg

2va1283.jpg

Love all that comment :)

Like this who don't :)

Lacey14

i73mko.jpg

After the storm stopped and the city was half underwater, the alive citizens headed towards higher elevation. They concluded that some area was unfixable and had to be completly demolished, while other areas could be fixed but would also raise taxes as the insurance companies wouldn't pay to fix anything for the flood. but it was agreed. The areas that were still completely underwater were demolished, and the water was removed slowly over the course of a month through hard work and sunlight. The areas that could be fixed were fixed over the course of the next few years. Most sims have their houses back. Some areas of the city formed creeks of varying size, some looked disgusting and many wanted to fill them with cement. But the A.C.G.R.G fought for the little creeks to be transformed into canals, and after many debates.. and 2 years... Canals were made. There was one Creek too large that couldn't be made into a canal, it remains as a creek today.

There was some good news though, with the destruction of alot of roads, city planning mistakes could be fixed and traffic improved. Job demand was soothed by placing office parks over demolished suburbs, and the Highway system was expanded to more rural areas.

Here are some photo's of what I am talking about.

2mxnayf.jpg

34zdpn9.jpg

x6k8pi.jpg

kb6cxz.jpg

2i1mngy.jpg

e6w3e9.jpg

200trwl.jpg

30adqw3.jpg

2vlu1vo.jpg

1fbg2p.jpg

2znzx1h.jpg

Of course, parks were rebuilt due to the A.C.G.R.G, some were fitted with canals.

qyvbck.jpg

2vb4tiq.jpg

9zllci.jpg

20hstg5.jpg

5530ur.jpg

There will be a teaser for the next update posted around 11pm PST tonight or tommorow :)

Thanks for the comments in advance.

Lacey14

Merry Christmas! Since Green is a christmas color, I thought I would start off my CJ with some "Green" Related issues.

In the mid 80's, after the development rush of the past 20 years ended, the A.C.G.R.G came to be known.

The A.C.G.R.G(Avista Community Green Restoration Group) was founded by Tabbitha Newman, who found that she couldn't find one speck of parkland or "Green Space" for miles in Avista, not even in her own backyard. Infact, in the entire metro area there were only two parks, one being in a private residential area, and the other being a sunken pond downtown. She and a bunch of other residents living in the South Street area came to the mayor with a petition of nearly 1,000 names to restore the land to how it was with new parks throughout the city. By 1994, more than 10 parks were built, and more were being built. That is how Avista went from a "Grey" city to a "Green-ish" city, even though recycling is still an unknown term to most.

Here are some pictures of the new green spaces.

34859j8.jpg

2irrk1h.jpg

14nokms.jpg

rwl1tt.jpg

In Honor of Christmas, I made it snow in this next picture(Sorry, I am not that good with photoshop).

2v0zm6r.jpg

The Next update will be tommorow or the next day and will be about the flood of 2002 and how the canal system in the suburbs came to be.

Also, Thanks for any comments in advance, :)

Lacey14

Hey, I'm Lacey and I have been playing sim city for a long time. I recently found out about this site and started downloading custom content and was itching to try my hand at a city journal. So over the past month or so I have been working on "Avista". I hope you like it, and if you do, comment(Although there wont be alot to comment on until the next update).

Avista

14lhg6u.jpg

This is a photograph of the land taken in 1920, right before this area(Now known as the suburbs) was overtaken by the population.

Avista was founded by pioneers in the late 1890's. The town was built on very wetland that had alot of vegitation and rich soil. The pioneers however were not that smart in choosing a center for their town hall. The center of the city was, and still is at the lowest elevation in the area. Frequent floods ravaged the town through out the years. However, with the work that was put in by the citizens, many people from all around moved to avista. By the year 1958 it was a considered a city by many.

Today the city has grown to a residential population of 283, 407 and a metro population of 602,034.

Coming Soon!

ir1f6h.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0