• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Jelnur (Jelnyr) is the capital of the Republic of Surnichia, in the North of Europe. The city was founded in 1180 with the construction of St. Olav's church on the left bank of the river...

Entries in this City Journal

Agricola Avicula

Medieval R

jelnurcityofwarmth.jpg

Hi there,

It's been a while, and I spent most time laying out more roads, railroads and canals. But I also have been downloading a lot of custom content that I would need when I would finally start building. Thanks go to all the BAT'ers for making their amazing pieces of art available!

Now, with around 75% of the transportation networks done, I decided that it was time for some development in the city. Perhaps surprisingly, I selected a city tile that did not yet have the roads laid out as the place where the first constructions would arise. This is the town of Rápon, now a suburb of Jelnur, shown at the lower left of the map below:

Jelnyrtekst.jpg

Because Rápon features a medieval castle, I was wondering what it would look like in the Middle Ages. Here's where my inspiration got me:

R%E1pon-27%20Dec.,%20041282051544.jpg

Méronlinná Castle was built in the 12th century by the Lords of Méron, vassals to the Duke of Waarsat.

R%E1pon-9%20Jan.,%20051282051618.jpg

A new day breaks at the castle.

R%E1pon-16%20Feb.,%20051282051757.jpg

The Lord's servants, living in barracks near the castle, wake up early to start their jobs.

R%E1pon-8%20Mrt.,%20051282051829.jpg

The gardeners start working in the garden.

R%E1pon-15%20Apr.,%20051282051950.jpg

Walking down the road that gives entrance to the castle (the only one that is paved in this area), the lord of Méron is impressed by the smartness of his people, having invented trucks and water sprinklers while he was sleeping.

R%E1pon-23%20Apr.,%20051282052279.jpg

The lord is on his way to greet the farmers in the village..., and to claim half of their crop yield in exchange for his protection against the barbarians. One of the farmers just sold the blueprints of his newest invention, the tractor, to his neighbor for a bunch of young poplar trees.

R%E1pon-17%20Jun.,%20051282052742.jpg

Happy to see that all is well, the lord of Méron goes home after another long day. He is so tired that he even forgets to switch off the electric lights. Good night!

Agricola Avicula

I don't know whom I'm updating this for, but since I've got over half of the transportation network done, here's a picture of the current state of Jelnur:

Jelnyr_transp.jpg

With city names:

Jelnyr_transp_names.jpg

It's a lot of work, and I don't expect to finish the transportation network within the next few months. But maybe I will start building a bit sooner. Haven't quite figured out yet how to go about recreating the different parts of Jelnur, though. Should I start with the medieval city center or with a low wealth suburb? Should I do a lot of plopping, or work with some kind of building control? How can I make sure that all cities have access to utilities and civil services?

So, lots of stuff to think about.

Agricola Avicula

Especially for that one person that is interested in this CJ, here's a small update. I'm still laying out the transport network, so there is not a lot to show, but this is the progress I have made in the last 2 months. Now I've got about 1/3 of the roads, railroads and canals done.

Jelnyr_simcity2.jpg

Transport view (still not figured out how to make the RHW visible):

Jelnyr_simcity2_transp.jpg

Some closeups:

Image1.jpg

Intersection of the S26/N26 (East-West, from Jelnur East to Zoorá) and the S102 (North-South, from Heíjníc to Flatdal and Åmotsdal)

Image2.jpg

Western ring road (N25) near Svartdal; Åmotsdal-Svartdal railway.

Image3.jpg

Northern ring road (N25) and Svartdal-Heíjníc railway. On the right: the site where modern government buildings will arise.

Image4.jpg

Qryniñsdáløn: Qryniñ street and canals.

Agricola Avicula

A recreation

In this CJ, I will try to recreate Jelnur in SimCity as accurately as possible. I got my inspiration for this project from the astonishing recreations of Edmonton and New York, here on the board. As with these two, this will be a long-term project, probably taking several years.

I've got a detailed city map drawn on paper that I will use as a guide. It looks like this (but coloured):

Jelnur klein

I started some three months ago by determining a plausible scale. The scale of the map is 1:15,000, which means that a millimeter on the map will be 15 meters in real life. Since in SimCity every tile is about 15x15 meters, this would mean that every square millimeter on my map would be one tile in the game. However, after some playing around with the scale, I decided to diverge a little from the game's scaling, making every tile 1.2x1.2 mm on the map.

As a next step, I scanned the whole map to my pc, and laid a grid over it with squares of 1.2x1.2 mm using Photoshop. I also made a larger grid of 64x64 squares, indicating the size of a small city tile in the game. Next, I printed the map with the grid in segments, so I had a tangible map in which every small square corresponded to a tile, and every large square to a small 64x64 city tile. This is a useful tool to determine what goes where when working on the city in the game.

Then I made a greyscale map of the city, indicating the shore line and elevations in the terrain. I imported this greyscale map in SC4Terraformer to make some final refinements before uploading it to the game. Eventually I ended up with this region:

Jelnur region

Now I could start laying out the transport network. This is what I've been doing for the last two months. This is what I have so far:

Jelnur satellite

Transport view:

Jelnur transport

As you can see, I used the RHW instead of Maxis highways, which does not show up in transport view. I tried to use the DrawPaths cheat from Buggi's Extra Cheats, but I cannot get it to work. Could anyone help me with that?

Agricola Avicula

Introduction

Jelnur banner

Jelnur (Jelnyr in Surnichian spelling) is the capital of the Republic of Surnichia, one of the Scandinavian countries. It was founded in 1180, when a church was erected at the left bank of the river Spyyr in the honour of King Olav. In the 13th century, a Germanic people from northern Scandinavia settled around Jelnur and made the town into a flourishing trading city, with connections to the Hanseatic cities. However, it was not until 1836 that Jelnur became the official capital of Surnichia, and with that the political, economic and cultural center of the country.

Today Jelnur has about 1.6 million inhabitants, and is one of the world's greenest cities, litterally because it has numerous parks and is surrounded by large forests, and because of its progressive environmental policies.

Here is a city map of Jelnur:

Jelnur city map

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0