• Moose

Carthage

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The triumphant return of Jill to the CJ section! Featuring a realistic North Pennsylvanian city. and named in honor of one of the first CJs ever. If you downrate, your eyeballs will melt...

Entries in this City Journal

Jillybean86

My god, I never noticed how lazy I was until I started a CJ!  Yoikes!

In lieu of an update (since I seem to have hit something of a creative wall) here is a fantastic screen from the newspaper CarthageStar.com!  Wooo!

Newspaper1-1.jpg

Newspaper2-1.jpg

I promise I'll have a real update soon...and I also promise I'm not crossing my fingers as I type that.  Although if I was, besides being very difficult to type, it would negate both of those promises...so...yeah...

Jillybean86

Happy New Year!!

Every year, thousands gather along Elliot Ave. to see fireworks light up the Stinson Bridge to celebrate New Year's.

From Jill, and everyone in Carthage:

NYENormal.jpg

See you in 2010!!

Jillybean86

So here it is:  the first official downtown update.  I'm not teasing you with no lame suburbs here in Carthage, I'm giving you the goods right away.  So enjoy!

This update is all about Elliot Park and three of the four streets that surround it...the fourth isn't finished yet...

Just ignore the top left corner

ParkDay.jpg

Elliot park is named after Aaron Elliot, who was the mayor that commissioned the park in 1914.  Before Mayor Elliot commissioned the park, the area was the definition of a poo-hole.  Despite being right next to the financial center of town, the residents were poor, the buildings were shoddy, and there was no indoor plumbing.  The entire neighborhood was torn down, and the large triangular park, and a new City Hall building were constructed.

Carthage City Hall

Courts.jpg

Nately Hall is a reception hall built in 1945.  It is named after a bomber pilot from Carthage that died in WWII.  His family was very influential, and persuaded the city to allow the hall to be built.

The building looks great, but not as good looking as Nately himself

NatelyManor.jpg

The park has been at the center of life for downtown Carthage since it was built.  There are playgrounds, basketball and tennis courts, restaurants, flower gardens, an art gallery, ice cream shop, and much more.

Winner of Billy Keegan's Best Fountain To Splash In Award for 2008

ElliotParkCommons.jpg

Very popular among high school prom committees that can't afford Jillian Island

Promenade.jpg

This is the current home of the Carthage Board of Parks and Recreation.  The old building was demolished in 1989, and this much larger building was built as a result of the ever expanding duties of CBPR.

ParksnRec.jpg

Although downtown Carthage was already a busy hub when Elliot Park was established, the benefits of the picturesque park were noticeable immediately.  Today, four of the busiest avenues in the city border the park.

Four roads?  I thought you said the park was triangular!  What the crap, Jill?

Streets.jpg

Jacobs Street forms the western border.  Many historic buildings overlook the park.

With a street like that, whoever Jacobs St. is named after must be pretty important...

JacobsSt.jpg

HQ of the Carthage Star newspaper

CarthageStar.jpg

Marianela Hotel

StMarys.jpg

On the opposite side of the park, the tiny eastern boundary is 1st St.  Although not much of the actual street touches the park, many of the most important buildings in Carthage are on 1st.

Franklin's Arch marks the southern end of 1st St.

1stSt1.jpg

1stSt2.jpg

1stSt3.jpg

The tallest building in Carthage is on 1st St.  The Walsh Corporation is one of the largest companies based in Carthage, and built this as their headquarters in 1990.

Try to ignore the green space at the top.  If you're colorblind, please ignore the darkish grey area at the top.

WalshTower.jpg

Forming the southern border, which I haven't finished yet and am not showing, is Elliot Ave.  The condos that sit between Elliot Park and the waterfront are pretty amazing...if you could see them you'd agree they're fantastic.  Wow...mind blowing.

Anyway, here's a museum!

Carthage Museum of Art and Baker Theater

ArtnOpera.jpg

These condos are a little farther east than downtown, but are still on Elliot Ave.  That's how they weaseled their way into this update.

Pretty colors

Condos.jpg

And finally, the northern boundary of the park is Erie Ave.  The buildings on Erie Ave. are home to several banks and exchanges.  This section of the road in downtown is sometimes called "Money Street".  This will be featured more in later updates, so here is a large mosaic of it and most of downtown.

For full size of this mosaic, click here - I have no idea what happened to my full size, but click the link for a miniature version?
ErieAve1.jpg

ErieAve2.jpg

ErieAve3.jpg

ErieAve4.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this first visit to Elliot Park and downtown!  I leave you with a night shot of the area.  See you next time 4.gif

Ceiling Cat sees all

DowntownNight.jpg

Jillybean86

Here with the newspaper is a preview of the next update, which will feature downtown and the area around the park.

This is the headquarters of the Carthage Star.  There are deck chairs on the top, which shows you how seriously they take the news...Very...especially the weather forecast.

CarthageStar.jpg

Here is a screenshot from Carthagestar.com.  It's a pretty awesome website if I should say so myself.

Newspaper1.jpg

Newspaper2.jpg

Jillybean86

Jillian Island

This first real update will show off Jillian Island.  It is by far the most picturesque and romantic island in lake Erie, and perhaps all of the Great Lakes.

Jillian Island during the day

03.jpg

It is an incredibly popular wedding destination, with all facilities being booked solid for years

And at night

04.jpg

The only way to get to the island is by boat.  No expense has been spared on a single square foot of the island - right down to the marina that serves wedding parties and VIPs as they arrive

02.jpg

Wedding guests often line the Walk of Eros, which leads directly from the doors of St. John's Church to the marina, where there is usually a sailboat decorated with "Just Married" signs.

Ahh, L'amour...

Mosaic1.jpg

Mosaic2.jpg

Mosaic3.jpg

Many days have different wedding groups taking pictures in the many photogenic parks on the island.

01.jpg

The Jacobs family has owned the island since the 1880s.  They built a fortune in local banks, and built and landscaped the island in the 1910s.  They spared no expense in creating the finest experience possible for all visitors.  The walkway around the island is made of imported Italian marble.  The islands only hotel is among Pennsylvania's finest, and caters mostly to small wedding parties and people rich enough to stay (but with enough time on their hands for a boat or helicopter commute in the morning).

06.jpg

Of course for cost effectiveness, St. Johnathan's isn't the only venue for weddings on the island.  The Jillian Island Amphitheater can also host a wedding at the same time, despite being right next to St Johnathan's.

Also: concerts

07.jpg

And if that weren't enought, St. Christopher's Chapel is also next to St Johnathan's, and can also host a simultaneous event.

08.jpg

There are countless places for a scenic or romantic photograph.

09.jpg

10.jpg

On the north side of the island is the Basilica of St. Andrew and the Grand Walk that leads to Jillian Hall, which is the most popular reception hall on the island.

NorthIsleDay1.jpg

NorthIsleDay2.jpg

NorthIsleDay3.jpg

This is the north side at night - and possibly my favorite mosaic yet.

NorthIsle1.jpg

NorthIsle2.jpg

NorthIsle3.jpg

That's all for now.  I was going to show off what I have for Downtown Carthage so far, but this update is long enough.  You'll just have to come back next time 2.gif

Jillian Island from the south

11.jpg

Jillybean86

Rock show poster 1

I mentioned that rock and roll has a huge tradition in Carthage, but it is currently one of the biggest music scenes in the country.  This is a poster for next weeks events at The Brass Money, one of the most popular venues.

Braaaass Monkey...that funky monkey

PromoPoster1.jpg

PromoPoster2.jpg

PromoPoster3.jpg

Jillybean86

Preliminary look

Welcome to my new CJ, Carthage!

ErieShoreofPA.jpg

As some of you know, Carthage is the name of one of - if not the - first CJs ever.  Drawing on its greatness for my own, I named this city Carthage in honor of it.  My intent is to have a spectacular looking city that is pleasing to the eye, but is still anchored in realism.  You will not see a sea of skyscrapers here, or uber-complicated interchanges, or a "green" urban utopia.  There will be beautiful upscale areas, but there will also be ugly slums and endless suburbs - just like there would be in a major US city.

Many of you remember my first CJ, The Story of Mount Rose and Mount Grace, California.  While I loved building it, and writing it, I ran out of time and ideas.  It started with the founding of the town in 1849, and was supposed to finish in the modern day, but I had no idea how to take it from the 1930s to now (significant lack of BATs, no way to "age" buildings over time, etc.).  This CJ takes many of the grand ideas I had for TSOMRAMGC (for short) and brings them right into the modern day with none of that difficult in-between stuff.

I believe in the biz, they call that a spiritual sequel...

I also intend to continue my very specific brand of humor.  You know you like it...and if you're unfamiliar, there's an example later in this very update.

I use many BATs from many many different creators - far too many to list here, but mostly from PEG, NDEX, and BSC.  I use a water mod and a rock mod, both by PEG, and a CP terrain mod, but aren't sure of the name of which one I use.  Also, I'm using the Coos Bay, OR map by blade2k5.

NOW!...on to the city.

Carthage is a major metropolitan area located on the Southern shore of Lake Erie in the little part of Pennsylvania that sticks between Ohio and New York (in real life, where the city of Erie, PA is located).  It is approximately 100 miles from Cleveland, 100 miles from Pittsburgh, and 100 miles from Buffalo.  

Map1.jpg

The city is at a crossroads of many parts of American life.  It thrived off the industrial power of Pittsburgh to the south, and has always prided itself on its hard-working citizens.  Being located on Lake Erie has allowed for a rich maritime tradition.  The area is home to many large marinas, and has one of the highest rates of boat ownership per capita in the midwest.  Cleveland is home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and was one of the genres largest influences, but Carthage also considers itself one of the founding cities of rock.  The city prides itself on its rock and jazz festivals.  The city is also around 125 miles from Canton, Ohio - which was the birthplace of American Football.  Carthage University has one of the oldest football teams in the nation.

Waterfront Park Plaza is an amusement park and boardwalk shopping experience all in one
Waterfront.jpg

Both Vibrant and diverse, Carthage is truly an amazing city.  Check frequently for updates! :)

Jillian Island is an incredibly popular wedding and event destination

Mosaic1.jpg

Mosaic2.jpg

Mosaic3.jpg

That's all for now.  Please try to stay calm until the next update...as you can see from the region shot, I don't have much built yet :/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0