• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The Northern Arm - Taking driving to the "Matrix" level.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Linoa06

b5.jpg

The District of Eshtar (also known as the Northern Arm and Windy Shorelines), seated in the eponymous town, comprises the parts north of Sedona on the isle. It is indeed an arm of land in the sea, as well as a very important hub. For years it has remained the only interstate link between Sedona and the rest of the island. The District is well served by the subways of Sedona (notably line U2, though lines U3 and U7 are planned to expand beyond Laguna), and the S-Bahn line S8. While Caruvel and Laguna are turned towards the southern city, Eshtar itself is a bustling hub for commerce, and turns its capitals to the nearer and better connected City of Hajira.

The Township of Laguna (pop. 3350) is the smallest city, both in population and size, in the District. It has been built in 1920 only; beforehand, it was rural farmlands. Served by a branch of the Interstate, as well as subway U2, it is a much richer suburban city. Mansions and villas cover most of the land, and there is few traffic in the sleepy city. Notably, there is a Simball stadium in the village, and a reckoned opera – from where hail the Transcending Sonata series from Lagunan composer Georges J. Orwell. Its shores are home to various yacht clubs, and there are projects to build a sailboat harbor on its western side (along with the planned expansion of U3, which would disconnect from Veronaville). In the country's only involvement in World War II, the merchant oil carrier ISS Derpen was sunk on November 28th, 1942 on its eastern strands. While the identity of the attacker is not known, it is rumored a British attack is responsible for the tragedy. In the following weeks, a black tide soiled much of the coast. Three people died, and five were rescued by the coast guard service.

e1.jpg

Laguna is a rich, modern, and active little town. It is known for its tremendious education.

e2.jpg

Southern Laguna. Mansions and villas take over most of the space, despite undeveloped land still laying about.

e3.jpg

Downtown Laguna. The highway heads south to Sedona.

The Township of Caruvel is a middle-sized city, with 102'520 people. Formerly called Little Wutai for the analogies between both cities – both feeder towns for Hajira, with as much population and similar demographics – the term fell in disuse after the 70s, when Wutai grew to challenge Midgar and Cropsford, while Caruvel never experienced such a growth. It was built in 1802 around the Priory of Lannuon, founded by people from Brittany, France. It remained mostly rural until 1940, when fleeing Jews and Jehova's Witnesses fled in the nation, and settled there. In 1970, a program known as Millionaire Garnishment aimed in building cheap, massive residential tenements in the city; however, all buildings from this period were abolished in the late 2000's. Caruvel is notable for having been the first city to ever conceive a subway on the islands – line A opened in 1954, and line B in 1956 as a subset. It was incorporated in 2002 in the Sedoner Subway system as lines U12 and U13, later on U2. Line U13 closed in 2007. Caruvel is home to the Museum of Contemplative Arts, and to the Video Game National Monument, a huge stadium where video game fans come to compete in nationally-endorsed events.

e4.jpg

Southern Caruvel in 2008. In the corner, the Museum of Comptemplative Arts, at this time still in construction. Train stations in Caruvel were the first to be refurbished - prior to 2008, few suburban stations even had platforms.

e5.jpg

South-east downtown Caruvel, with the Lawrence & Huston General Hospital, first of its kind in virology. The Inishmore National Institute of Virology and Anti-Terrorism Science is located in its basement.

e6.jpg

A RegioBahn approaches the main station in Caruvel (which is not the Hauptbahnhof), on the northwestern side of downtown. Mediamarkt, on the left-hand side, is the biggest electronic store in the island.

e7.jpg

Uptown Caruvel. This area is undergoung heavy development and more residences are planned to bloom in a late demographic upwards trend.

The City of Eshtar, named by the original German settlers in 1680 after the Ishtar Gate – New Babylon was at this time a common name for nowadays Hajira – is the fourth most populous city on the islands, with a population of 2754021 inhabitants as of 2009. Historically, the CBD and most of the city's old development was concentrated on a 10x5 grid just off the Bornstein Bridge linking Hajira to Eshtar – in the 1800s, both cities' grids contrasted, as Hajira was built much more chaotically despite a central grid system. Up to 1945, it was, much like the rest of the island, mostly overrun with farmlands; however, following the intensive number of refugees from Europe, it quickly expanded southwards. In 1953, Caruvel's and Eshtar's grids were officially merged at Towers Point, on the isthmus between both cities' borders. Eshtar arbors many features : the Inishmore Nuclear committee is housed in the tallest building at 534 Gallastraße; and a subset of the Hajiran Stock Market is also located at Tower Point. Eshtar's economy is a financial, capitalist one; many companies choose to move over there. J. K. Richmond, owner of the prosperous SimBank of Inishmore, declared : “Eshtar is much greener, cleaner, and overally lighter than those dark crowded nests. We enjoy good transportation and we can go everywhere we can. It's a better choice for any self respecting company.” Eshtar is a high-rise city, and looks nowhere like its suburban southern sisters, and is perhaps the most successful city in the island beyond the Greater Three, with a a net income of over $53'241'000 a year, most due to local taxes and returns of investment.

e8.jpg

Towers Point, in southern Eshtar. The former plaza and train station were demolished and rebuilt as part of the U2 northwards expansion.

e9.jpg

The busy intersection of Löwenstraße and Ted-Flanders-straße. The lit building on top is the Sim Commerce Bank.

E10.jpg

The District Seat and Courthouse of Eshtar. It houses over 400 years of recorded archives in its National Archive wing.

e12.jpg

Northern Eshtar is more middle-rise than Southern Eshtar, though the trend seems to vanish with more and more taller buildings being erected every day.

E11.jpg

Downtown Eshtar. The City Hall is visible up north. Each year on October, 8th, former Eshtar major Amy Grünewald is revered locally during Founder's Day - though Mrs. Grünewald was major from 1987 to 1992.

e13.jpg

Alongside Blumenweg, the Nuclear Committee made its HQ in a secured building. A raid shelter, able to host 7'000 people undefinitely, is under construction there.

That's it! We're done with the first island! I hope you enjoyed it so far, next pictures and stories will come from the southern island of Rathlin! (Sorry, we'll still have to bother with the Sedona mass transit system..what an invading city, huh?) I'll certainly put a few 'interlude' entries from now on. :]

Let's finish with these two (rather unrelated) pictures :

bk1.jpg

This is the new intersection of Poststraße, Günsbergstraße (vertically) and West Bielefeldallee (Horizontally), on the public

plaza and major interchange at Bocklemünd. Note the rail-to-subway connections (here with S2 and S7), the highway bus hub (enabling intercity bus lines), and the various decoration that make this place extremely quaint yet bustling and teeming with life. This is an answer to people suggesting I should put a bit more mods in my cities. This was taken in Sedona.

e14.jpg

The Ishtar Gate Bridge, officially the Müller/Bornstein Bridge, linking the cities of Eshtar and Hajira. Train lines were built underneath the shallow sea (right hand side). The impressive skyline of Hajira is projected on the water by the dawning sun.

So, (belated) happy new year and we'll see next year for the next part...wait...We're already in 2011. I really need to fire some of my advisors.

-Amy

©Amy H.M. (Balth3465)

All Rights Reserved

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

5 Comments

great city.....  does  Esthar have a Space Facility? do you have the links to the rail stations in pictures 1 and 6? cant wait to see the City of Hajira

Share this comment

Eshtar doesn't have a space facility, but Rathlin and Ramuh does. Ramuh was destroyed by a shuttle crash, but this never stopped activity on the Rathlin Spaceport. (Which is a custom lot.)

The rail stations in pics 1 and 6 I've found in the Simtropolis Exchange.. They come in five variations corresponding to real-life S-Bahn stations in Germany. You'll find many such stations there : kurier.simcityplaza.de/files.php (they are on the Simtropolis EX, but I can't seem to find them now.)

Share this comment

Yup! Hajira being my prettiest city, I'll be sure to 'test' all my mods on all the others. I'm currently working on removing those Maxis buildings, so Rathlin will already have a much different feel. :)

Thanks for the interest!

Share this comment