• Comments
  • Views

Suburban Dillenburg - Sigallswald; The Summer Palace City

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gath22

Sigallswald; The Summer Palace City

Foreword

The city Dillenburg itself isn't entirely finished and not ready yet to show here. However, most of the suburbs are actually finished. Therefore the first few updates will show the suburbs of Dillenburg.

Introduction to Sigallswald

Untill 1676 Sigallswald was a small quiet village on a plateau north of Dillenburg. Build around an abbey, the villagers spent their lifetimes plowing barley fields and visiting the abbey church on sunday. This all changed when the newly Crowned Emperor decided to build his summer palace near Sigallswald, to commemorate his reign. After this, other noble families followed and the city grew to the important tourist attraction it is today.

Sigallswald's accessibility

dillenburg401.jpg

Sigallswald is build on a plateau. This has advantages but even more disadvantages. Easily defendable (in the 17th century a very important thing) but also quite hard to acces. In the 50's a highway was constructed so this road is no longer widely used.

The Emperor's Summer Palace

dillenburg402.jpg

The Summer Palace. At the bottom right you can see the construction works on the new Museum on Imperial History. After the revolution in 1807, the Emperor escaped to Switzerland, but the Imperial period was a very important period in Nassauer history, and there is alot to tell about it. In the upper right a small part of the gigantic parking places for tourists visiting the palace is shown.

dillenburg403.jpg

The Palastplatz. Because the palace is an EU heritage site, an EU flag flutters in the wind.

Other Palaces

After the Emperor moved to Sigallswald, many other noble families could not stay behind, and also constructed a palace in Sigallswald. Some of these are shown below.

dillenburg404.jpg

The former residence of the Cattelzbauer family. After the revolution, the anger of the people turned to the noble families and the residence of the Cattelzbauer family was claimed. After being empty for almost a century, it was turned into the new city hall in 1896

dillenburg405.jpg

Residence of the Kurlander family, located on the hills under the plateau. 

dillenburg406.jpg

Palace of the Lemberg family located in the center of Sigallswald.

Medieval Sigallswald

Most of the old Sigallswald was demolished to make place for the palace and the central boulevard, but some parts of the old Sigallswald still remain.

dillenburg408.jpg

The abbey church of St. Francis.

dillenburg407.jpg

The old abbey.

New Construction

dillenburg409.jpg

However time hasn't stood still in Sigallswald. Especially in the eastern part of the city, many areas are being developed, like here. As you can see, trees have been cut, the terrain is being leveled and new roads are being constructed. In 2 years an industrial estate will be built here.

~

I have bought a new computer and I will spend most of my coming free time installing stuff and transferring files, also, the holidays are over so it will take a while before I will be able to work on Dillenburg again.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

7 Comments

Thanks, I like the positive feedback, makes me proud of my work.

Also, please notice that I have added some additional information about Nassau on the first page, in Wiki-style.

Share this comment

Thanks everybody

I am now finally done with overhauling all the files reinstalling stuff etc. so I will be working on Dillenburg coming week, expect a new update in the weekend, I will be showing the eastern suburb of Sellershausen-Pankreise, an area suffering of high criminality, low employment and just being decayed in general

Share this comment