Alov and Sproji both emerged at the end of the 20th century as the economic power houses in Syldav. The city's remained disconnected, however, as Syldav planning law required that each city connect first through the capital, Klov.
With the unification of Syldav, Bordav, and Peotav under Balboa, these laws were no longer followed.
But how to connect Alov (upper left) with Sproji (bottom left)?
For full resolution: Right click image + "View image."
There are two leading proposals: conventional highway and high-speed rail.
High Speed Rail:
- Fastest connection to Sproji; under 30 minutes.
- Popular among business travelers
- In line with Syldav Union's move away from fossil fuels
- Difficult to connect rail to urban core
- Mountainous terrain difficult for high speed operation
- Less flexible then roads.
- Most flexible option for most travelers.
- Easily connects to road grid on outskirts of cities.
- Faster, cheaper to build.
- Slower transit times
- Violates Syldav Union's efforts to limit car usage.
- Larger "footprint" on sensitive forest land.
So, what do you think? What should be built, and why?