• Comments
  • Views

Introduction: Greek Colonies and Roman Occupation

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickzou

Greek Colonies and Roman Occupation

templeofapollo
Ruins of the Temple of Apollo outside Siccalium.
Archeological evidence suggests that the first settlers on the island now known as San Gerardo were Greek colonists from around 800 BCE making it one of the earliest Greek colonies ever to be discovered. Shortly after arriving, the Greek founded two cities now known later as Aoedeon and Nyxos. There would be the center of civilization for the settlers for the next 600 years. 

Shortly after its foundation, the local settlers lost contact with their homeland, instead opting to travel only to neighboring regions for trade and commerce. The island came into contact with their kinsmen once again during the expansion of the Athenian Empire in the 5th century BCE but did not manage to establish any long standing alliances or trade routes.

greekshield
Hoplite Shield excavated during an archeological survey in 1893;

now housed in the National Museum in Siccalium.

The island grew in population and stature in respect to its neighboring states so much so that during the Second Punic War, Hannibal felt it prudent to secure the island as he marched upon Rome in 218 BCE. After Hannibal's eventual defeat by the Romans, the Carthaginian council decided to relinquish control of the island thus leaving its Greek settlers to once again become its own independent state.

Nearly a hundred years later, a Roman invasion, led by Honorius Marcellus, landed on the island. The locals were treated well by the Romans due to their knowledge of navigation and shipbuilding. 

In the 1st CE, the names Aoedium (Aoedeon) and Noxon (Nyxos) disappeared from Roman records. Now, it seemed that only one city existed on the island, named Siccalium. Archeological evidence suggests that Aoedium, which was said to be situated at the base of the Rohion River, and Noxon, located several miles up stream, had by the 1st century grown and merged into a single settlement.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2 Comments

Thanks. I have this tendency to be super comprehensive about this kind of thing. I actually have a list of Roman governors and which legions used Siccalium as a station too. And I'm currently constructing Siccalese, or Rohidon Greek, the dialect of most native Siccalenes. But that's a long ways away. And I don't know if I'm even going to publish that stuff in the journal.

Share this comment