• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Seaports - Expanding Suffox Seaport

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heitomat

Seaports.jpg

I have never liked dealing with seafronts in SimCity 4. I had a hard time making those land-to-sea transitions look realistic, the Maxis seaport was awful, and I never found the right lot to plop to fill all the tiles along the coast. Lately, thanks to the many great posts by fellow Simtropians, I've realized that it isn't always necessary to put something on every single tile of land. A little flora and rocks will do. Less is more. This update is not a good example, though..

In this update, the focus is on the small suburb of Suffox. It is situated just southwest of the City of Victoria, and houses the main port of the capital. I felt that the original port was way too small to serve a capital, and an expansion was needed. And why not invite you to join the process?

It must be said that I basically demolished almost every trace of the old city center to make room for the expansion. I also reconstructed the rail system. The update is all about seaport construction. Thus, the city is not in any way finished, and - the grid is on. 6.gif

This is the area after terraforming. I used PEG's Leveler to make sure that the coastline was perfectly level.

Suffox_Port_Construction_01.jpg

I basically use three different custom seaport sets. From left to right: PEG CDK3 Seaport, PEG CDK3 and PEG CDK Industrial Seafront. Something to have in mind is the different depth of the lots. The difference in needed space on land is one thing, how the lots overhang the sea is another. This is only important if you want to make smooth transitions between the styles, though. This time, I will only use the two CDK3 sets.

Suffox_Port_Construction_03.jpg

Adding slopes and retaining walls.

Suffox_Port_Construction_02.jpg

And that's it. Now, the different seaport lots have been placed along the coast. In addition to the mentioned PEG seaport lots, I threw in some seawalls. But it is still a lot of empty space. Let's zone (and plop)!

Suffox_Port_Construction_04.jpg

There you go. Suffox Seaport has been expanded. In this picture NOB's LNG set is easily visible to the right. The HKABT Modern Terminal lots (the containers and the large office building) are also easy to spot. I also added some truck stops from paeng's magnificent set. Because the city is still developing, not all zones have buildings on them yet. Still, the seaport itself is finished.

Suffox_Port_Construction_05.jpg

Now that construction is done, let's have a look at a few close-ups. This is NOB's LNG set.

Suffox_Port_02.jpg

The HKABT Modern Terminals building and container yard, Suffox Lower Railyard in between.

Suffox_Port_03.jpg

I noticed the rail tracks in the container yard (not transit enabled), and thought: "What if I made a connection to the CDK3 Seaport using GLR tracks..?" This is the result - eyecandy only, of course.

Suffox_Port_05.jpg

And finally: A container ship passing Drake Islands Lighthouse. (This is not even in Suffox, but I like the simplicity of the picture, so why not..?)

Drake_Islands_Lighthouse_01.jpg

Hope you liked it.

- Eivind

Fantozzi likes this
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

12 Comments

That is incredible, I am definitely going to keep following this City Journal. I love all of these updates so far, and I can't wait for more. You're really talented.

Share this comment

• Roberto Robato: Thank you so much for your kind words.
  • DCMetro34: Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it.
  • Jamonbread: Thank you for your comment. I'm quite happy with how it turned out myself.
  • TekindusT: Thanks a lot, my friend. I'm a big fan of psander5's work myself and find his CJ to be of great inspiration.
  • Benedict: Thank you. In my opinion, those small details very often make a huge difference..
  • Schulmanator: Thank you very much.
  • Thomaskrules: Thanks a lot, and welcome to Victoria.

Share this comment