The Illyrian Empire

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Rataje

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daan300

Originally, I was planning to show you the final part of the harbour featured in the past two entries. Because I finally came round to finishing something I started a long time ago, however, I decided to show you this.

I will keep the history short, so you can enjoy the pictures. This entry is about Rataje, one of the many small towns along the Illyrian coast. It was founded in the XIth century and granted city rights in 1225. For the first few centuries of its existence the town developed rapidly and was among the most prominent cities in the Empire until the XVIIth century. After that, decline set in and it wasn't for the arrival of the railway in 1891 that this decline was halted. Even so, the town isn't much larger today than it was in the XVIIth century. Due to its economic isolation, far away from any harbour or major city, the town center has been beautifully preserved, adding to the charm of the town's setting.

KO00test-1.jpg

K07.jpg

K08.jpg

K01.jpg

K04.jpg

K02-1.jpg

K06.jpg

K05.jpg

K03.jpg

K09-1.jpg

K10-1.jpg

Thanks for visiting and stay tuned for more (don't expect anything too soon though 2.gif)!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

17 Comments

Truly fantastic, once again. You mastered the old Euro style and rural scenes a long time ago, but now you've mastered road planning and building...

Share this comment

I don't see why the city needs walls, your cliffs should serve that purpose, they look sweet  Joking, they both look fantastic along with everything else. I love the landscaping as well, and of course, that little city sets the bar a big distance in the air. Beautiful job!

Share this comment

Whoa, probably the best roadless old city that I've ever seen! Great work! The landscape is also very nice!

Share this comment

• kolnikov inc: thank you very much!
  • Liszak: jenom na pul...
  • Blakeway: THANKS!
  • Jamonbread: great to see you here! How are you doing with your CJ? I am curious to know when your planning a new update
  • TekindusT: thanks a lot, I really appreciate your comment !
  • Schulmanator: thanx!!!
  • k50dude: haha. You are partly right, the cliffs do serve as "city walls", yet in the middle ages the city would have been easily conquered from the plateau if there wouldn't have been walls on that side. Thanks very much!
  • ImVhOzzi: I am honored that you find my CJ inspiring, thanx!!
  • CIUU96: thanks! I always try hard to blend rural and urban in my cities.
  • Guibanez_: thanks .
  • lacropp: old euro cities are what I prefer to build in SC4, that's why you will encounter them in nearly (if not all) of my CJ entries. Thanks!

Share this comment

Jesus, you do have a hand for such old towns - wish I could this, too!

Anything flows naturally, nothing is on the wrong place, just amazing! 

Take care my friend and don't forget to make backups!

Bernhard 

Share this comment

All those bridges look wonderful! Great update indeed (and, of course, not only this one!) 

Best regards,
Simbourgeois
Mayor of Belleville

Share this comment

Bernhard: Thanks, friend! I backup all my major cities, just like this one. It happened too often already I lost a city...
Simbourgeois: thanks! :thumb:
ilikehotdogsalot: thanx. I love making these kind of the cities the most (i.e. combination of city and nature), although I am also a big fan of very large, monumental euro cities (who knows what might appear in one of the next entries...;)).
tonyr: thanks very much! Really appreciate all of your comments!!

Share this comment