• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

1 - 2 Adventures in Terraforming : Southern Bayshore

Sign in to follow this  
Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

Today's update will feature the bayfront coast from Del Haven southwards to Town Bank , northwestern parts of Lower Township and southwestern Middle Township.

countysouth.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First stop is Green Creek. Not really a whole lot of terraforrming done here, just a small pond and the headwaters of Fishing Creek

( lower left), This was one of the areas I used to test the map scale, so it actually has a bit of development. I'll come back to it in

more detail later in the journal.

greencreek.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A bit south of Green Creek is the Nummytown tile. In the upper right is Pumping Station Pond, supplying the city of Wildwood with fresh

water for over 100 years. Another branch of Fishing Creek leads off westward. Some zoning was begun here, but mainly to guage scale

and give me more accurate placement of natural features.

nummytown.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A bit westwards lies Cape May County Park South. It is mostly acres of undeveloped wetlands, Unlike the marshes encountered in the

previous chapter, which are a marine environment, this is a fresh water habitat. Fishing Creek ( east -west creek at the top) is joined by smaller streams from the south.

parksouth.jpg

The western end of Fishing Creek. the village of Del Haven ( in Middle Township) is to the north ( well, at least the street grid for it is). A pumping station was once used to regulate water levels in Fishing Creek, but the outfall pipes on the Delaware Bay side of the dunes

have become buried under a dozen or so feet of sand after a series of coastal storms. As a result, the creek has no drainage and the

low lying areas have flooded, creating several shallow ponds among the high grasses. It has become a prime habitat for waterfowl .

delhaven.jpg

South of Del Haven, we move into Lower Township's Villas section. It is bounded by Delaware Bay to the west and Fulling Mill Stream ( a tributary of Fishing Creek) and Cape May County Park South to the west. About a quarter of the street network has been laid out. Again, this was used to test the new scale of the map. Everything fits now ! The Villas will eventually extend to the southern end of this large tile.

villas.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lastly, we come to the Town Bank section of Lower Township . This tile also includes the Cape May Beach section of Lower Township ( north of Cox Hall Creek) and northwestern portions of North Cape May. The ground south of the creek is higher and less marshy than the rest of the Delaware Bayfront. Maps from colonial times place the coast much farther westward than it is today. Erosion has taken away a good portion of this part of the County. It is said that the original settlement of Town Bank ( settled c. 1650) now lies over a mile out into Delaware Bay , under 20 feet of water.

townbank.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've also finished the tiles for County Airport, Bayshore West, Fishing Creek ( the town, not the actual creek) , and most of Lower Township south to Cape May Canal. Since these really don't have any terrain features ( just a flat square of woodlands) , I'lll hold off on showing them until they have some development. I was going swamp-happy from all my terraforming on the northern bayfront, and needed a break. I was also able to knock out 7 or 8 tiles in the time it usually takes me to do one, so now it actually looks like I'm working more on the project :) Terraforming is still progressing up north , and hopefully I'll have an update for you by this weekend.

Sign in to follow this  

3 Comments

Recommended Comments

Wow. Just wow. Being from New Jersey (Central) and having visited Wildwood and Cape May for many years, I have to say this looks great. 

Your right about Wawa being everywhere! Got one a minute away from my house, they have the best cheesesteaks!

Share this comment

A new change in format :  I'll be doing my replies at the end of a chapter rather than in a seperate entry in the next chapter. It'll make things a bit easier for me not having to go back to the previous page.  Let me know your thoughts on this.

@ ?Maitre?  :  Thank you and welcome to my journal

@SF Doom  :  There's probably two dozen Wawas in the region, with 4 ( possibly more ) "Super Wawas" ( with gasoline pumps)  . I've never tried thier cheesesteaks.  We have enough quality sub shops around here that I never even thought of Wawa for a cheesesteak. Might have to give it a shot :)

Share this comment