Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Region View

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gogojcia

This is the region view. I added some water to it, beacuse I want to give my version of the of  city a little twist. The actual city of Quito does not have any big bodies of water like the ones below, but I have attempted to reconstruct the many hills and mountains that soround the city, specially the " Pichincha Volcano".  More Updates will come soon on the west section of the region. The city roots will beging at the south east portion of this region below. The history of this beautiful colonial city, full of legends woven over more than 400 years, is still alive in the memory of its inhabitants. To find its origin it is necessary to go back in time to the 6th of December in 1534, when the Spanish conquistadors founded the city with 204 settlers. Before then, the present-day site of Quito was inhabited by the Quitus, a tribe from the Quechua civilization in a strip of land that stretched from what is now Cerro del Panecillo in the south to Plaza de San Blas in the center. Called the Kingdom of Quito in the Pre-Hispanic period, buildings in this ancient city were made of carved stone and sun-dried brick. Later, Spanish architects incorporated the same materials into their grandiose constructions. At the beginning of the 16th century, the city adopted a monumental style with the construction, by the various Catholic missions, of the impressive temples of San Francisco, Santo Domingo, La Catedral and San Agustin. The main events during this period took place in or around these temples, which helped promote religiousness among the people

97960660.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1 Comment