• Comments
  • Views

Chapter 13 : Chinatown, Selbring City

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tigeria

selbringbanner2.jpg

Personal Message : 

Due to the fact that i'm a little busy in RL, the airport update will come probably in the next update. I'm left with the taxiways, runways and grass before I can post the airport entry. In the meantime, i would like to show a place i've always wanted to. Hope you guys like it.

==================================================================================================================

Chapter 13 : Chinatown, Selbring City

Back in the city, things were like usual. The cases we're dealing with were the daily routine stuff. Such as problems with home owners and their housing loans, upgrading works, rejuvenation plans, so on and so forth. After the trip to Jelenton, I was thinking of myself to go back to the less busy side of Cannasera and spend my weekends there again. But in the meantime, the city has much issues that I have to take care.

pic139.jpg

Pic 1 : The brown building in the centre of the picture is the Ministry of Housing Headquarters. Located in the Central Business District along Business Avenue, the 20 Storey building holds the Ministry's office, home owners centre and showrooms.

Work ended at 6pm and usually on my route home, I will pass by Chinatown from the CBD where the Ministry is located. Since the Mid-Autumn Festival is approaching, I am thinking of buying some mooncakes for my family and friends. For the best variety of mooncakes, Chinatown would be the place to visit.

pic123.jpg

Pic 2 : This is Chinatown. Many tourists visiting Selbring City will visit Chinatown as it has a rich culture and heritage uniqueness. Many Tigerians are actually descendants from immigrants from China in the 1800s. About 60% of Tigerians have Chinese roots, the remaining are native Tigerians of different ethnic groups.

pic124.jpg

Pic 3 : The famous Dong Xiao Temple is the landmark and historical building of Chinatown. Located along Temple Road, the temple was built in 1901. It has undergone numerous upgrading works and refurbishment. Today this temple is popular with tourists and Tigerians.

pic125.jpg

Pic 4 : The Downtown Line station, Temple Station, is directly across the Dong Xiao Temple.

pic126.jpg

Pic 5 : This is the Chinatown Central Plaza. It is a shopping centre with 8 storeys of retail space, from Chinese paintings, clothes, ornaments and kitchenware. It is less than a min walk away from Dong Xiao Temple.

pic127.jpg

Pic 6 : Near the Chinatown Central Plaza, there is the Chinese Heritage Museum. It has exhibits of the early migrants from China and how they start off their lives in Tigeria. You can spot buses of school students coming here for their excursions/field trips

pic128.jpg

Pic 7 : The landmark Chinese gates in Chinatown.

pic129d.jpg

Pic 8 : This is one of the popular night market spots, Zhong Lu Market. At night, it is bustling with activities. Over here, they sell food, ornaments, clothes and even stands with fortune tellers.

pic130x.jpg

Pic 9Chinatown Circle boasts many retail outlets. The mall at the top of the picture is Chinatown 109 Mall. It is a upmarket and fashionable shopping mall attracting the younger people.

pic135.jpg

Pic 10 : The Chinatown Circle at night

pic131m.jpg

Pic 11 : Here we can see the Victory Square. The name Victory Square came about after a historical battle won by the Chinese over the ethnic Tigerian, Huma Group, in the 1800s. This also led to this place designated as Chinatown, a territory for the Chinese migrants in those times. The Chinese Tigerian Southern Army then placed their flag on Victory Square to mark their victory over the Huma ethnic group.

pic132.jpg

Pic 12 : Below the Elevated Rail tracks are some of the oldest shophouses in Chinatown. Notoriously known as Kin Sing Street, it was once filled with brothels and prostitution centres. People who came here seeked opium and prostitutes. It was only till the 1920s when the Government uprooted the vice in the area and after upgrading, it became a busy shopping strip. It was only recently that eateries and cafes took over.

pic133.jpg

Pic 13 : Here is the Chinatown housing estate. It was developed in the 1970s and is still existing now. Plans to tear them down in 1993 were abolished as residents petitioned for the estate to stay.

pic134.jpg

Pic 14 : Selbring Central Temple is another landmark for Chinatown. This temple was built in 1940 by merchants who lived nearby. In 2007, it was being upgraded to the current state. The temple attracts devotees and tourists from around the city.

pic136a.jpg

Pic 15 : Chinatown at night crowded with shoppers.

pic138.jpg

Pic 16: Bird's eye view of Chinatown and the surrounding districts. Top of the picture is the CBD, left is the Monument Road business sector, below is Canal Avenue district (starting from the transmission tower)

pic137i.jpg

Pic 17 : Bird's eye view of Chinatown at night

Well i bought 6 boxes of mooncakes and will be enjoying a box at home. Every Chinese New Year or other festivals, Chinatown is the place to be if you want to feel the festive mood. Fireworks and firecrackers are also set off to mark the start of the festival. However do warn that parking is a problem in Chinatown as there is a limited number of parking locations. Traffic here is also congested. Thus it is recommended that you take the MRS (Mass Rapid System) if you want to get there. 2.gif

I hope you liked this entry. Hopefully in the next, i can show you Selbring International Airport.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

8 Comments