• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Coming in to Land

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_marsh_

bannerqs.jpg

NOTE: Links to re-sized pics are below each picture.

overveiw.jpg

Djado airport is the only airport in Nouadhibou. Djado airport is highly congested, from planes coming in and out all over Northern Africa, Southern Europe And even some locations in the Middle East. The major congestion is not only from congested airspace, but also due it being a one-runway airport, and also the fact that a 4-lane boulevard crosses it. Which means traffic must come to a complete stop when planes land and takeoff.

A new airport is in the planning, to be built further out into the desert. This will significantly reduce congestion at the airport.

img0006jv.jpg

(Ive based this airport off of 2. The first is some Caribbean airport were planes takeoff/land right over the beach. Another is Gibraltar Airport, were a avenue crosses the runway. Why not build a tunnel? Cause this is so much more kick-ass.  satisfied )

97455736.jpg

Planes land primarily on the eastern side of the runway. Easterly winds from the ocean help the plane slow-down on the approach, making for an easier landing.
The runway was made on a artificial strip of land, for various reasons. The open ocean and also the large bay, both on each side of the Nouadhibou Peninsula, mean almost no buildings are going to be in the way. Another issue was land conservation. If the runway was parallel to the ocean, a lot of land would be used for nothing.

img0007hj.jpg

img0018xc.jpg

The Airport Terminal can only hold 8 planes, another reason for the heavy congestion. And even the small amount of un-used tarmac for waiting planes becomes a problem.

img0008ei.jpg

img0022ga.jpg

img0009nt.jpg

The Air Traffic Control Tower is located near the runway, away from the terminal. It was built just this year.

img0020b.jpg

img2ui.jpg

There is a small cargo terminal across the runway. It only has 2 small warehouses, and 2 fuel tanks.

img0023io.jpg

img2ui.jpg

Traffic always has to wait when planes cross the runway. "Stoplights" are at the intersection to hold the cars, along with many guards. Today the wait isn't that bad. Some days the traffic gets held up for 2 blocks.

img3y.jpg

Ill leave today with a teaser for something else in the city. Tongue

img0025qu.jpg

Huston, Benedict and _marsh_ like this
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

21 Comments

The Airport is one great piece of work! And the unique idea with the runway crossing the avenue is awesome.This is among the best enries you've ever made!

There seems to be an irritation with the direction in which the cars drive after crossing the airfield. They are using both directions southwards. But who wants to blame them? It's an unusual situation!

Share this comment

Wow, that is very creative and amazing. I would be scared out of my wits to land into that airport.... lol... but nevertheless it looks really great. And certainly adds a very interesting level to the city.

Share this comment

Wow, great job with the airport and with the lotting! I saw it on the "Show us your airports" thread but now I've seen more pics I've liked it even more!

Share this comment

Sky Guy: Thankyou!

CTMandR: Thanks!

n_wilson: Thanks n' ! And perhaps a photoshop fail on my part? 

plane-crash12000: Thanks. Actually I had plenty of other locations to put it. But you can't deny that it was so muche more awesome to put it there!

vivapanda: thanks!

tigeria: Thanks! I was surprised too when i first saw it 

gilikov1994: Thanks!

panthersimcity4: Thankyou! I on the other hand would love to land somewere like that... 

Adrianor: Thanks! 

paulobergonci: Thank you!

Guibanez_: Thanks!

Thomaskrules: Thank you! Why build a tunnel? This is so much more cooler!

DCMetro34: Thank you man! I'm glad you liked it

Blakeway: Thanks a lot man!

fighterfungus: Thanks! Ill be sure to make it just as good!

TekindusT: Thank you!

Retep Molinari: Thanks!

tankmank: Thanks! The runway is from the original release of the RMIP.
_marsh_ likes this

Share this comment