GRUNEN

Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Why the cities look brownish

Sign in to follow this  
n_wilson

I proudly present the latest region shot. The date is 1924 GY (game year). Much has happened since the 1920.

Region screenshot dated  1924 GY

Why do my cities and villages look brownish? The reason is simple. I do use the SAM – Street Addon Mod. As the villages have roots dating back to the 15th century most of the old roads are made of sand and dirt. That looks brownish from a satellite perspective.

An exception is Bai-Nord (Bay-North), the stone miners city. You can find it in the upper left corner of the screenshot. As Bai-Nord has an old stone mine you can find a lot of waste stone there. The clever people of Bai-Nord used that cheap stone to build cobblestone streets.

You will note the brownish look to disappear in the forthcoming years as TT Trembling Tarmac Ltd. is eager to cover at least the most used streets with stone or tarmac … and remember: they have good connections to the mayor

Sign in to follow this  

6 Comments

Recommended Comments

So how do you convert those dirt roads into tarmac? I always try to, but can't get the the streets to turn tarmac! They always stay dirt roads!

Share this comment

Replies:

@sloid: Thanks. Glad you likey!

@Vlasky: Danke! You will get more - just give me time to breath. :-)

@jj88: Thank you.

@skitbil: To convert the street into tarmac you have to use some kind of seperator between the SAM and the standard tarmac streets. This can be a SAM Stopper (http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=19762) or - easier to use - a road. Just bulldoze the SAM part you want to put tarmac on, put 1 tile of road on every edge and then drag standard Maxis street in between. And - bang - you will have tarmac and SAM side by side. Depending on the complexity of the street layout the road tile will be nearly invisible. Try it on a straight SAM streen and only a tiny stretch of road will be visible. You will note a lot of such transitions in my forthcoming entries as tarmac gets more and more into use.

@ImVhOzzi: Thank you. That is one thing I think a lot of regions are lacking: realistic region views. You all know that regions with big cities on it that suddenly stop at the edge of the tile. I don't want to do that. I want to develop a region. Glad you appreciate that. I am planning an update with a lot of region shots from 1900 to now. Perhaps as a time lapse animation. We will see... :-)

Share this comment